PDA

View Full Version : October fitness

nswef
10-8-12, 9:07am
I thought I'd start this because it helped me in July, August and even Sept. when I slacked off. I'm working on getting in 3 or more 30 minute walks a week up that old cemetery lane. I'm huffing and puffing again, but it goes away faster. The weather and darkness have made me re-think when to go. I hope this will help me be accountable to more than the stars on my calendar.

How about the rest of you?

lmerullo
10-8-12, 12:18pm
Thanks for the new thread!

I have met my goal of five workouts each week - and am seeing the results. I went to the gym on Thursday for a reevaluation, and they took my measurements, etc. I have lost 9 lbs, body fat and BMI have dropped. I also know I have lost inches, but they have lost my client card. Apparently the new manager instructed the staff to cull the cards and call all clients with no or limited activity - and if no response to toss the card. Well, I had a full card last time, so they were supposed to attach it to the back of the new card. They were out of staples, and put it aside to handle later. Didn't happen, apparently - so the new card with one entry looked like I was no longer active in the plan. Sigh - I have made such HUGE improvements in the last couple of months, and wanted that "proof".

Anyway, won't cry over spilt milk.

I seem to be in that sweet spot of diet, exercise and restful sleep that makes all seem well in the world. I will ride this wave as long as I can!

SiouzQ.
10-8-12, 1:49pm
Wow, that's inspirational, Imerullo!

I'm checking in here, just after getting back from the skating rink. I have to get back on the activity bandwagon myself; I did great all summer with LOTS of walking, hiking, biking and running around at work. As soon as the weather started to change I've allowed some of my bad habits to creep back in in tiny increments until all of the sudden I am drinking coffee everyday, and smoking quite a bit more (I had given up coffee completely for about 7 months and had the smoking thing down to about 3 cigs a week).

I am working on redemption mode here! I used to be a figure skater way back in the day, and ended up teaching skating for many years and skated for exercise all throughout my thirties. Then I wasn't on the ice for at least eight years due to life getting in the way. Anyway, today was the third time I've gone in the last six weeks and it is already getting better, though my feet and ankles are red and raw from the pressure of my skate boots. The first day I was totally off balance and could barely stop and my feet hurt so bad from being in stiff boots! Two weeks ago I worked on forward and backward crossovers, edges, and turns, plus a few little spins (which made me feel sick and dizzy)! Today I ran through all the basics and started feeling a lot more confident about being able to stop when going really fast, and I even attempted a few little waltz jumps and some more spins (still making me feel horribly dizzy though). I have an insane goal of being able to axel jumps just one more time before I get REALLY old (I just turned 51).

I would like to get to the rink about three times a week. I am so happy with the weight loss that occurred when I started at Wholefoods (the easiest diet in the world - work in a deli and run around all the time AND to be able to sample things). I have consistently kept my weight just below 150 and sometimes have gotten down as low as 146 if I am really busy for days in a row). The more important thing than numbers is how I feel inhabiting this body ~ it just feels right for me (I'm at the same weight I was before I got pregnant with my daughter 20 years ago). I would like to work on muscle tone and that is where the skating comes in, except I won't have anymore rear end left (that is where I lost all the weight this summer). I had to go down two pants sizes!

I really want to nip my reoccurring bad self-destructive habits in the bud so I am going to try and check in here on a more regular basis to hold myself accountable.

lhamo
10-8-12, 5:30pm
Well done, you guys!

Count me in. I got back to the gym yesterday after about 3 weeks off due to a pulled muscle. It was pretty rough -- seemed to have lost all my stamina and most of my muscle tone. But I'm back on the treadmill again, literally and figuratively, and looking forward to at least meeting, if not surpassing my goal (12 workout sessions per month)

lhamo

nswef
10-8-12, 6:35pm
Great job folks. I am amazed how quickly the body does get stronger! That skating SiouzQ is amazing to me. Treadmills, gyms , quitting smoking and coffee...I am inspired to haul myself up around that cemetery lane. Today I walked - moseyed in town for an hour, no sitting but some standing, mostly moving. Tomorrow morning I have a walking date with a friend, we'll see how I like that- we're doing breakfast afterwards.

Gardenarian
10-11-12, 3:29pm
I'm trying a new yoga workout - 108 sun salutations every day. No, I don't always get to 108 - in fact I've only got to 108 twice - but I'm doing lots. I feel much stronger and just better all around. It's aerobic, stretching, meditation, and very relaxing.

My goal is to get in shape to hike a local mountain by the end of the month.

lmerullo
10-11-12, 4:14pm
108, garden? Wow, it just seems like soooo many. Good for you!

I keep on chugging on at the gym. You know, I've been a member there 20 years, and really just blend into the background. Well, after the missing card, everyone knows my name. It's kind of nice, we all greet each other like long lost friends now! I'm even thinking of doing the trainer / small group sessions. It might just add some *razzle dazzle* to my workouts.

nswef
10-11-12, 4:52pm
Imerullo, Isn't nice to have some place where "Everybody knows your name."

Gardenarian, 108 sunsalutations in a day! 1 or 2 is about all I could handle. Hiking a mountain soundsd pretty impressive. You could go early and do a sun salutation while you are there!

I am pleased that this week I have walked 3 times for at least 40 minutes. I have scheduled Tues. and Tuhrs. at 9 to walk with a friend. Today she brought her dog which made it fun. We drive about 10 minutes to a very nice park that even has flush toilets! I'm not sure if they are open in the winter, but as of now they are.

Gardenarian
10-11-12, 7:35pm
Well, 108 is an auspicious number. The ancient yogis did 108 everyday upon arising (so they told us at ashram.) I have to break it up quite a bit - it's hard to do more than 36 at one time. But when I started a few weeks ago, I had trouble doing 6 in a row! As you get into the rhythm and breathing it becomes almost addicting - I have to stop myself when I feel my muscles getting shaky.

nswef
10-11-12, 9:09pm
I am very impressed. Keep at it and you'll be racing up that mountain.

lhamo
10-12-12, 6:52am
I did pretty well this week -- didn't make it to the gym yesterday as I ended up getting home late, but otherwise made it every day this week. And got back up to running 4k in under 30 minutes -- the first day I was really out of it and had to resort to intervals, but today I ran 4k in 29 minutes straight. I'm going to keep aiming for the 5k in 30 minutes goal, but will increase the speed more slowly this time to avoid reinjury.

I also restarted the weight work, and ab an back routines. My muscle tone has totally gone to pot, but I know it will come back quickly.

Weekends are my really good workout time, so looking forward to it.

lhamo
10-12-12, 6:52am
I did pretty well this week -- didn't make it to the gym yesterday as I ended up getting home late, but otherwise made it every day this week. And got back up to running 4k in under 30 minutes -- the first day I was really out of it and had to resort to intervals, but today I ran 4k in 29 minutes straight. I'm going to keep aiming for the 5k in 30 minutes goal, but will increase the speed more slowly this time to avoid reinjury.

I also restarted the weight work, and ab an back routines. My muscle tone has totally gone to pot, but I know it will come back quickly.

Weekends are my really good workout time, so looking forward to it.

fidgiegirl
10-16-12, 9:37pm
Hi all!

It's already the 16th and my first check-in and really nothing to say. Oh well, I did do two dog walks today so going to count the positives.

Need to get back on my 10 minutes a day streak.

Sigh.

Talk of a rink has reminded me that I should scare up some el cheapo ice skates to skate on the ice path they'll make about a block from my house this winter. That would be fun. I wonder if I can convince DH, too.

Rosemary
10-16-12, 11:25pm
Kelli, my DH and I got used skates at Play It Again Sports last winter for about $12/pair.

I took a long walk with DD this afternoon, probably our last 70-degree day until May.

fidgiegirl
10-17-12, 8:44am
Thanks for the tip, Rosemary! We have one near our house.

Time for that morning puppy stroll!

lmerullo
10-17-12, 2:31pm
I will second the Play it Again Sports plug. My 8 YO grandson wore out his rollerblades, and I just stopped in the store to buy used tennis balls (for the dogs) and saw a pair of size 4 rollerblades for $7. The tag said tennis racket, but was attached with a thingy that would need to be hooked on with a gun. (wow, was that clear?) Anyhow, not a sticker. I took them up front and - guess what - they not only were $7, but because of the color of the tag, they were half off! Score! They are black plastic shell with a purple / maroon interior, and dgs says they are for girls, but I told him I would not buy him another pair until he outgrows this one. MY rollerblades are white and silver, so I told him boys are black, girls are white... not entirely true, but it works for now.

Which reminds me, we should go blading this weekend. I need to work those leg muscles for iceskating when we go on vacation in December. We live in Florida, so no ice outdoors here.

nswef
10-17-12, 3:45pm
You skaters impress me no end!! Walking with a friend who has a dog twice a week. I'm enjoying it and she moves much faster than I do! So, I'm increasing my speed and talking at the same time!

fidgiegirl
10-18-12, 12:23pm
Took a run this morning with Mr. Gus. He loved it and so did I, despite the weird drizzly yet not-quite-drizzle in the air.

ejchase
10-28-12, 9:10pm
I'm joining in here at the tail end with some very modest fitness and diet goals: I want to walk four times a week - even if it's only for fifteen minutes each time. I'm really out of shape, but live in a great neighborhood for walking. It's very hilly, so even short walks can get my blood pumping. Then, in terms of my diet, I'm planning to stay off sugar (sweets in general) and alcohol entirely UNLESS we are out at a restaurant when I will allow myself a bit of both.

I don't drink much, but occasionally, lately I've been making myself a drink at night, and though it does relax me, I do think it makes me foggier and grumpier the next day. And sugar just always messes with my moods and energy level.

So I went off sugar on Friday and haven't had any trouble with it. And I took short walks yesterday and today, so I just need to squeeze in two more this week.

fidgiegirl
10-28-12, 10:18pm
ejchase, nice to see you! I saw your time thread, too, and was glad to see you'd posted. The walking sounds great. Must be lovely with all the hills.

I am hoping November is better on the fitness front for me. I did recover some of my 10-minutes-a-day mojo in the second half of October, but not like I was doing in summer. The colder weather and shorter days make it harder, but last winter I had some good stretches. I was most successful when I planned ahead - a swimming bag ready to go, for example, or worked out directly after work before going home. That's a killer - going home. :) Rarely does an evening workout happen for me. Plus, I'm eating like crazy. Must be the instinctual "pack it on before winter" phase. Ah, instincts.

I also need to get comfortable with the hours of a pay-as-you-go facility. I just can't bring myself to pay a monthly membership at any of the places around here. There are several options in our neighborhood - one college (my alma mater - which actually does have a reasonable alumnae membership - about $20 a month) and a few community centers. I have used various ones in the past but never stuck with enough visits to feel really comfortable at any. I do have several prepaid visits left to use up at one of the community centers so really should do that.

I have also thought about getting some equipment for the baseement. Have my eye on Craigslist for a treadmill, but we already have a Nordic Track skiier so I could use that. It is one heck of a workout. :)

Keepin' on keepin' on . . . . doing consistently better every year when it's all averaged out, so just have to remember: progress, not perfection.

How about others? There wasn't too much activity on the thread this month, I hope that doesn't mean everyone was in a slump like me?! If you were it's ok, tho :)

To November! :D

Rosemary
10-29-12, 7:35am
I didn't get a lot of exercise while my parents were visiting for 2 weeks, but otherwise have done ok walking outside, using the treadmill, and gardening. In general I just try to do anything other than sitting activities for most of the day. This means my computer time and crafting time are less than they used to be. Luckily I can read on the treadmill. I can even use the laptop on the treadmill thanks to the shelf we rigged above it, although it's not very ergonomic.

lhamo
10-29-12, 5:03pm
It has been an off and on month for me. I was doing great for a couple of weeks, then life hit (along with five days with no hot water in the complex while they repaired the central heating -- not a situation that makes you want to get all hot and sweaty! So I lost my momentum a bit there. I did make my target of 12 workouts/month. But should have done better.

Glad that November is starting soon. Need a fresh start to get me off my behind.

Weight is strangely still holding steady at 68kg. My original goal was to get down to 60 this year. Ugh. Not gonna happen. If I can drop it to 65 (which is where I started) I'll be very happy. Need to pull out the low carb cookbooks and find something to stave off my evening cravings.

lhamo

SiouzQ.
10-29-12, 6:58pm
Oh boy, it's already the end of the month and I don't think I have been to the rink in weeks. I am realizing I have a very bad pattern of not taking care of myself very well as the Indian summer turns into downright cold and I am no longer out and about hiking, biking and walking outside. ALL my bad habits start flooding in, as I mentioned in some other thread, you know about my travails regarding quitting smoking. Still haven't done it... It is very cyclical but I seem to be able to pull myself out of the bad habit phase by the end of January or so when I am just so sick of being kind of self-destructive. This time of year in retail just gets so crazy and time seems to speed up and before I know it the holidays are here and I am working a lot....Wholefoods is revving up and each day I work is such a workout anyway of constantly moving that I actually have to remember to eat more because I am burning it up somehow! I've lost about 16 lbs. since I started way back in June and I have to say, I look the best I have ever looked since I was in college back in the early '80's. Though it has not been cheap to accommodate my new shape, as I have had to virtually replace my entire winter wardrobe. So now I have 3 pairs of jeans (two for work and one dressier pair with just the tiniest bit of sparkly on the pockets) that fit really good, two sizes smaller than last spring. I still have to wear a belt to keep them from riding down because I just don't have much of a butt anymore! I also finally had to purchase new bras; again, lost a cup size...but I am not sure how physically fit I am because I continue to smoke! My body however, feels much stronger than when I started back in June, and it doesn't bother me that much to be on my feet 8 or 9 hours a day running around. Sometimes my back ends up hurting a bit, but not too bad.

I won't ever stop trying to quit, but for some reason I just don't feel ready right now. And my insurance date is looming and I'll I have to be honest and tell them I am a smoker and then pay $10 per paycheck extra for being one. Even my frugal gene is not over-riding the strength of the addiction right now!

Kudos on everyone's efforts-keep it up!

nswef
11-2-12, 6:06pm
SouixQ I am very impressed with your body developments. Your work sounds dreadfully difficult, but how nice to know you are stronger. The smoking will stop when you are ready. Money would do it for me...but it's easy for me to say. My mother stopped smoking when she was 80 and used the money for a cleaning person once a week! She never went back. Stopping smoking led to stopping drinking because they went together. Bonus for all of us!!

I missed walking on Tues. due to the Hurricane, but we walked today and plan next Mon. and Wed. My friend's dog is learning to heel and we get in a good 50 minutes each time on a nice flat surface. I did a yoga too, so felt pretty virtuous.

I like checking in here. It helps when feeling lazy to oomph me up and gives me a place to brag! Thanks all.