PDA

View Full Version : Why are you frugal?

fidgiegirl
2-6-11, 3:37pm
We are frugal so that we can:

- Have control over what we want to do and when because money doesn't play a role (though we are not there quite yet . . . )

- Have the funds to do things we really love, like travel and camp.

How about you? What are your overarching reasons for being interested in frugality (or not!)

cow-hi

Mrs-M
2-6-11, 3:46pm
For me it's the result of wanting to be and have a lesser burden on the environment, to enjoy the benefits of wise economics (on my side), and lastly, it conforms to my old-fashioned and traditional ways so well! So complimentary it is. :)

Adding, I like setting myself apart and being different from the rest.

Gina
2-6-11, 4:14pm
There was no reason for starting - I grew up in a frugal home so it's more of a continuation. Back then it was to be able live the life my parents wanted for their family. Environmental consderations were not even a gleam in anyones' eyes, though they often do go hand in hand.

I continue because I consider wasting money to be silly. I also enjoy saving and 'making do'. And when it's time to spend, it's almost a game to get what I want for less.

The biggest reason however is to have my time to do with as I please. Within reason of course. ;)

bae
2-6-11, 4:35pm
1 - I don't like being wasteful. It seems wrong from environmental, economic sustainability, and social points of view.

2 - Time, energy, and money I don't spend on "stuff" is that much more I have available for more personally satisfying pursuits.

3 - I "retired" in my mid-30s, and would like to stay "retired", so living well below my means, being frugal, and allowing my capital to accumulate seems prudent.

razz
2-6-11, 4:59pm
1 - I don't like being wasteful. It seems wrong from environmental, economic sustainability, and social points of view.

2 - Time, energy, and money I don't spend on "stuff" is that much more I have available for more personally satisfying pursuits.

3 - I "retired" in my mid-30s, and would like to stay "retired", so living well below my means, being frugal, and allowing my capital to accumulate seems prudent.

Ditto for me except I retired at age 60.

Mrs.B
2-6-11, 5:11pm
It started as a "money" thing, I wanted to stay home after the birth of my last child. That was 22 years ago, then it became about "doing the right thing" it has evolved into so much more. It has become who I am. It's part of my faith, it's what I chose to do, it's how I challenge myself to be a better person. I think down deep I always was pretty granola, hippy, woodstock, rebel. And I like it!!

loosechickens
2-6-11, 5:36pm
I think it started with both of us coming from frugal families that abhorred debt and always lived below their means and accumulated some net worth......then, we were never in an area of the country or professions where lots of money was easily made, so we didn't have a big income, and could only live below our means and accumulate some wealth by practicing frugality.

But, mostly, and almost all at this point, since our net worth accumulated to the point where we don't really have much of a brake on desired spending, it's a matter of respect. Respect for money as an energy source, respect for the environment, respect for not consuming way more than our share of resources, etc. We still live below our means today, although we "could" spend more. Mostly because there just isn't anything else we really want.

And, honestly, because it fits our personalities, which seem to be attuned to simple living by natural inclination. To the point where if something showered millions of dollars on us, not much would change in our lives......we'd be able to support more good causes, help friends or relatives, but for ourselves, we already have "enough" and more than enough for our needs and desires.

Stella
2-6-11, 5:44pm
Because I'm lazy and broke. :)

Actually I think it's part of my personality. I hate waste and like efficiency and to me frugality is about efficiency of resources. The more efficient I am with my resources (not just money, but time, energy and other factors as well) the more I can accomplish.

Also, I have a mental quirk that I am pretty much only motivated by the intrinsic value of activities, not by any monetary gain attached to them. I seem to lack the ability to make the mental connection between work and money which means that I am willing to work like crazy, unpaid or lowly paid, to accomplish things I find intrinsically valuable, but not able to make myself do much of anything just for the money. I've only worked full-time for pay two years of my life. Essentially, I retired at 23. :) It's only been doable because I'm frugal.

Fawn
2-6-11, 6:20pm
Essentially, I retired at 23.

Oh, you think you are retired?!? He, he, he.

Also a mother of four.>8)

Fawn
2-6-11, 6:22pm
In answer to OP's question...I am frugal so I have the time and resources to give my 4 kids what I want to give them, on a single-mom, middle class wage.

Stella
2-6-11, 6:37pm
:D Just from paid work. I don't imagine I'll be retired from motherhood ever. :P I was just telling DH last night on our date night that if our kids live near us when we have grandkids I want to have a weekly grandkid sleepover so our kids can have a night to recharge their batteries too. The oldest is almost seven and I'm already thinking about grandma-hood. :)

early morning
2-6-11, 6:44pm
I am frugal because we don't make much money (well, that's a point of view thing, I know....) and have lots of things we need and want to do with the money we have. I need to stay mindful so the money goes where we want it, and doesn't get frittered away on things we don't really care about.

Mighty Frugal
2-6-11, 9:25pm
I am frugal because money=control. Being in debt and not having a savings cushion is like being lost on a raft in a stormy sea..drifting further and further away from safety. So I am frugal so I can sleep contently in my debt-free, fat-savings bed....ahhhh

I grew up quite poor-sometimes there wasn't anything to eat-I will NEVER go through that again.

Money=Control. I need that control for my sanity

Greg44
2-6-11, 9:26pm
1. It seems to be just part of me. I grew up in a family that my parents owned a business and it was seasonal - feast or famine. So I learned early to save my $$.

2. I hate owing anyone $$. It drives my wife crazy because I log all our expenses into Quicken and then pay everything once a month. Even if a purchase has not come through on our cc.

3. $ has not come easy and I hate seeing it go so easily, so the longer I can keep it the better I feel.

4. I enjoy the game of saving. I tell my kids, "if you saw that $$ (the amount we saved) on the ground would you pick it up? Now my oldest daughter who lives out of state will call me and tell me of her savings on her purchases -- ah makes me feel so proud! :+1:

clear water
2-6-11, 11:49pm
being frugal is important to me. I was very frugal as a young person. Then got caught up in overspending. Partly because my husband and I earned more money than we really needed.Now I want to be a good example to my grandchildren. Im making much better use of resources and don't even miss the income I used to have. Wish I's started this path years ago.

redfox
2-7-11, 3:14am
being frugal is important to me. I was very frugal as a young person. Then got caught up in overspending. Partly because my husband and I earned more money than we really needed.Now I want to be a good example to my grandchildren. Im making much better use of resources and don't even miss the income I used to have. Wish I's started this path years ago.

clear water, this is close to my story as well. I'm being frugal to get out of debt. Then I'll probably go back to being moderate! I've always been sensible, and the 15 stressed out years of my husband & me rescuing his kids was expensive in so many ways... and we made many choices I wish we'd done differently.

However, we're here now. And while our financial security is tentative, our true security is good. We're being frugal to align them, so that we can relax more into life now that the kids are raised.

flowerseverywhere
2-7-11, 10:19am
I wanted to get off the hamster wheel of driving into the office and enjoy life, help my kids get a good education and be able to weather the economic roller coaster. Most of us have X dollars and it is up to us to decide what is the best use of those dollars. It's kind of opposite of the media blitz. Spend less = have more. More peace of mind, more stability in marriage and life, the ability to help kids with education expenses (best money I ever spent) and more freedom from dysfunctional workplaces.

A nice side effect is that I am not contributing to the landfills, by being able to leave the workforce at a young age we can take care of our health through regular exercise, and have the time to pursue our hobbies and passions.

debi
2-9-11, 12:39pm
I grew up in a frugal home. My parents only debt was the mortgage on their first house. My only debt is my mortgage on my house. I want to pay it off early so that the bank/mortgage company does not get so much interest from me. I also set aside a set per month for "my things to be done" -- currently it is for all new thermal windows on the house and I will pay cash for it. I did the same with the septic, roof and electrical (which was outdated).

I repurpose as many items as possible. SO worked for a window company at one time, so we kept old windows which will be turned into a greenhouse as well as for raised beds. I want to keep as much as possible out of the landfills.

kaitlyn
2-10-11, 7:22pm
I'm frugal because my husband isn't and we'd be broke otherwise. This is why we have separate accounts, so he can't spend my money too! Of course, I also just enjoy using my money wisely so I'll always have some when I need it. Peace of mind goes a long way.

Hattie
2-10-11, 8:13pm
It just makes me feel good.

Kestra
2-10-11, 11:01pm
I'd have a really hard time spending all of my income. I really don't know what I'd buy that I'd actually enjoy. And I don't make huge amounts of money. About median for the area. I guess I could spend a lot of money on a house; that'd be the easiest and most useful. I just prefer to spend money on freedom.

Jemima
2-11-11, 10:11am
I started being frugal after receiving an inheritance and being able to pay off my mortgage and buy a better car for cash. That's when it dawned on me that it might be possible to retire early. I studied everything I could find on the topic and was fortunate to come across Your Money or Your Life early on. Note that this was the early nineties and there wasn't a lot of information available at the time. Early retirement didn't happen because of a number of unexpected life events, but twenty years of paying attention to my spending behavior has ingrained the frugality habit.

Much of what is frugal is also more simple, and that has led to savings in time and anxiety. Having more time is the most appealing aspect of frugality in my book.

Like Greg44, I find frugality fun at times. It's satisfying to find a free or cheaper substitute for something I intended to buy, especially if I already have the substiute, or to do without in a creative way. Or to learn how to do a repair or make something I want.

Being frugal also allows me some funds to give away to people and organizations which are in need.

cattledog
2-11-11, 9:14pm
:D Just from paid work. I don't imagine I'll be retired from motherhood ever. :P I was just telling DH last night on our date night that if our kids live near us when we have grandkids I want to have a weekly grandkid sleepover so our kids can have a night to recharge their batteries too. The oldest is almost seven and I'm already thinking about grandma-hood. :)

My daughter has a sleepover at her grandparents every weekend. I can't tell you how nice this is! DH and I get to go on a date night or relax together (and sleep in!). Plus, DD gets undivided attention from the GPs (and they enjoy her company too).

cattledog
2-11-11, 9:16pm
Regarding to topic of why I'm frugal- I think I just am because I don't need anything. We have an old house, so there's not a lot of room to store anything. Since we had our DD, I'm more conscious of saving more money for her future, rather than purchasing things we don't need.

ljevtich
2-11-11, 11:20pm
Why - because it is fun and is inline with our plans for how to live. We would not be able to have the lifestyle that we do if we kept up with the Jones and our family.

kib
2-11-11, 11:54pm
Wow, I identify with a lot of seemingly unrelated ideas here! I do have the "because it seems right" mindset. I feel comfortable when I have a sense that I'm using an appropriate amount of resources and putting the rest aside. I want to hold onto my retirement and the current life I'm enjoying. I didn't care for 9-5 employment working without freedom, and I totally get what Stella means: I always enjoy doing the work that's necessary, there's a real conflict when choosing between well-paid and well-needed. I was raised by frugal parents and they say that's often a predictor. I do have somewhat of a contrary streak, the idea that so many people don't see the value of this lifestyle makes me appreciate it as special, like I've got a little trick up my sleeve for how to do this life thing. I equate money with control and the more money I have, the more control I feel I have over my circumstances. I do feel like my husband is more of a spendthrift than I am and it sort of motivates me to be more careful. I don't need much of anything else and I'm hard pressed to find stuff I want to buy, although I do enjoy experiences. And because it's fun. I love a puzzle. I can't imagine living and Not trying to tweak the pieces to fit a little more efficiently. I do it with the desk contents, with the furniture, with the sock drawer, with the schedule, and most definitely with the bank accounts.

mira
2-12-11, 5:14am
Possibly because I don't like being sucked in to thinking that having or doing X, Y and Z is necessary to live/be accepted/be seen a certain way, etc.

And also because it just seems to make good sense!

Perplexa
2-12-11, 12:03pm
I didn't grow up in a frugal household at all, but both my sister and I live pretty frugal lives (though she's better at it than me). Now my parents are inspired! I suppose I have lots of reasons for living frugally.

1) For the last several years, I haven't had much choice since I haven't had a lot of money. Eventually, I figured that I could either make that a battle and be constantly unhappy (or "sell out" and get a high paying job, which I probably have the skills to do if I put my mind to it), or I could try to make an opportunity of it and see if I could find some benefit in living a simpler life. I've discovered I don't need so much stuff.

2) It seems environmentally responsible. I know I use more than my fair share of the earth's resources (I think it's almost impossible not to if you're an American), but I don't need to add to that by buying extra stuff I don't need.

3) I want to be able to afford *not* to bargain hunt when I do buy things. I'd rather not eat meat but be able to afford to buy local, organic/sustainable vegetables. I'd rather buy one new skirt that's made out of organic cotton by people paid a fair wage and that I can mix and match to make many outfits than buy a whole bunch of skirts made in sweatshops that will end up putting more money in the hands of large corporations.
4) Everything I buy adds some stress, since I have to store it, clean it, and make time to use it.

5) I have the time/motivation to make a lot more of my own things (clothes, yogurt, canned fruit, etc). I don't necessarily save money this way, but I get a lot of satisfaction from it and I can control what's coming into my life much better.

ETA: also, I don't like being told what to do. The more I hear the message that to be a successful person and a good american, I need to "buy, buy, buy", the more motivated I am to buy as little as possible, and to buy most of that locally. I ran across a term for this lately: consumer disobedience.

Rosemary
2-12-11, 2:17pm
Many reasons:
I grew up in a frugal household.
I had to practice extreme frugality to get through B.S. and M.S. degrees without debt. Succeeded.
Highly-stressful jobs made me value my time more than a career. This was the point at which I read YMOYL and early retirement became a goal.
Becoming a parent gave me an even stronger reason to leave that career.
Being frugal strongly aligns with our values and gives us more of what cannot be purchased: time.

bke
2-16-11, 12:43pm
I deeply, passionately and with all my heart resent the entire work for money concept. Its like prison to me. Why and how did life come to require such a thing? What fools started this sh*t? I mean we only get what-70-80 years if we're lucky? How much of that do I want to throw away earning things that I can't have when I'm dead anyways.

I was a nanny for most of my twenties. I earned my pay check by living day to day life-caring for kids, keeping a clean house, laundry, errands etc. Then I jumped into the American Dream of having my own family and a "real" job. What a crock. I hate feeling like I'm kissing butt to earn a buck. HATE IT.

I'm not lazy. I like to be busy. I love exploring, learning new things, being adventurous. But on my own time and with the people I choose to surround myself with.

Simple living allows me to by back my freedom more quickly-hopefully in the next 10 years.

I do admit to slowing my own progress by being guilty of giving into the instant gratificaton that can come from spending money. Thankfully, I also get a real thrill from getting twice as much for my pennies as the next guy.

Its all a big balancing act for me but I'm getting better as I get older.

jp1
2-17-11, 10:12pm
In order of importance:

1. Because I like to sleep at night. (I've had friends and coworkers who obsessed about fear of getting laid off. I sleep well knowing that if I walked in to work tomorrow and was told that I was downsized I could leave, come home and enjoy my unexpectedly free day and still be able to get a good night's sleep tommorrow, as I will tonight)
2. Because I like being able to spend money on the spur of the moment for something I really want, such as a spontaneous weekend trip with SO, and not have to worry about "what will I do when the Visa statement comes at the end of the month?"
3. Because I'd like to retire early. I enjoy much about my job and the people I work with, but there are other things I'd even more enjoy spending my time on. (I'm 43 now. My goal is 60 and I'm on track, but whether I can achieve that will depend on the huge unknown of how much health insurance will cost me then)
4. Because I hate shopping. SO is tired of being seen with me in the same clothes. Him: "I've got pictures from the last 4 christmases and in each one you're wearing the same damn sweater..." These clothes are still reasonably in style (as much as they ever were) and still in good shape. I just can't justify buying new ones. When things do wear out I replace them. Underwear, socks, dress shirts, all get replaced when they start to look run down.
5. Because I hate wasting stuff that's still usable. As long as I find something useful I keep it and use it, even if it's not the latest fashion or style. If it's something I no longer get value from then I donate it so that someone else can enjoy the rest of its life.

Mrs-M
11-22-12, 1:29pm
Originally posted by Mrs. B.
I think down deep I always was pretty granola, hippy, woodstock, rebel.Me, too, although I never admit it, and you'd never know by looking at me.

Mrs-M
11-22-12, 1:39pm
To add, ever notice the added steps you have to do to be frugal/simple? I'm not suggesting that frugality and simplicity comes with an attached inconvenience or anything, just that working with old-fashioned, is way more fun than working with modern things. At least that's how I feel about it.

heydude
11-22-12, 5:21pm
I am frugal because, I think, I worry about getting stuck in to a trap, a lot. I need freedom. I admit that I worry about many things and I do find that owning stuff gives me a big worry. I do not own a car. If I had a car, I'd have to park it and worry about it on the street. Worry about it breaking down. Worry about repairs or being able to pay for it. I'd have to spend a whole lot of my very previous life energy on this stuipd thing that I don't even like and causes me worry.

Further, I am a hard worker and I do well at my job but I hate the LENGTH OF IT. It drains me and I need a lot of time off just to recover. Therefore, I do not get a lot of time FOR ME. Work eats up time. Getting ready for work eats up time. Decompressing from work eats up time. IT SUCKS. I am very anxious to be able to go part time or something down the road so I get my life back.

Basically, frugal = life.

I also have interests that I do want to spend money on, and a lot of money on at that. Every dollar spent on "expectations" of you is a dollar not spent on what your life energy is all about. Even if not having to earn that dollar, and have that free time for yourself, is it.

I do not believe in being too frugal with things you like. But, hopefully what you like is not soley based on a box you can buy.

herbgeek
11-22-12, 7:02pm
Because by the time I was 25, I realized that even though I liked the actual work that I do, that there was all kinds of politics around me that had negative impacts on me. It didn't matter how hard or well I worked, when the rewards were divied out. I worked for some real jerks, and I vowed to be able to walk away from this crap as soon as possible.

Laser_Cat
11-22-12, 9:02pm
A number of reasons for me, I spent quite a bit during college and then when I graduated it was right after 9-11 and no one was hiring. I had this student debt looming and not even a minimum wage job to help me pay for it. I learned really fast how to use what little money I had to cover my expenses. Now that I have a career and things are going smoother for me I'm still frugal but for many other reasons.

Mainly the environment and sustainability but also I love seeing the fact that I can chip away at some of that student load debt I have month by month. I also found that I would buy something new and not end up looking at it or using it again very often so now I really really have to consider something (I generally wait about a week to see if I still want it) for awhile before pulling the trigger and buying it. The positive side effect of that is that I have less stuff to move, and also I can manage in a much smaller apartment without as many personal belongings. Now I'm finding myself selling off a lot of those old things that I managed to collect in my earlier years, and with each item I see disappear from my home it feels a bit freeing!

@ Heydude, I don't own a car either and I LOVE it. Sure it takes me a lot longer to get to places, but, like you, I don't ever have to worry about paying for it or driving it or having it break down. I could feel the cloud being lifted when I finally sold my car.

try2bfrugal
11-23-12, 11:05am
Partly to not have to get stressed out about money and part because I just like the mental challenge of living well for as little as possible. It really all comes down to math and spreadsheets for me. I like making spreadsheets for things like retirement planning, how much various foods cost per calorie, our annual budget, household appliance daily electricity usage tracked by kilowatt, ROI on my time, and anything else financial I can think of. I like looking at ROIs and my spreadsheet results instead of being influenced by advertising. It's been a whole new way of looking at life. Ziploc bags? Where is the math in buying disposable bags every week and throwing them out regularly? What was I thinking all of those years until we started following sustainable living principles? I like trying to decouple our financial decisions and every day purchases these days from marketing perpetuated mythologies of what normal should be.

bunnys
11-23-12, 4:42pm
1--I am the daughter of children of the Depression.
2--I want to live w/in my means because the stress of debt depresses me and I'm not capable of pretending it doesn't exist.
3--I want to retire early--which means so does my mortgage.
4--I'm hippie counter/culture too--even though I don't look it. Maybe I mean Henry David Thoreau.
5--I hate shopping--most of the time. Even when I want to shop I get sick of it really quick.
6--I get creative fulfillment out of making things myself.
7--I think it's immoral to waste the planet's resources.

Mrs-M
11-23-12, 6:01pm
Love everyone's entries! This thread is home-sweet-home for me.

awakenedsoul
11-23-12, 10:06pm
Yeah, some beautiful responses. Being frugal has enabled me to stay home and grow food, cook, clean, read, knit, do yoga, meditate, and take care of my animals. It had gotten to the point in my teaching that I wasn't enjoying it anymore. I wouldn't "play the game," and I got tired of working for people I didn't like or who were behaving in financially unscrupulous ways. Even when I owned a business, I realized that I'd need to make $50,000. a year for it to really work. After inheriting some money, I realized it was much wiser to stay home and spend minimally. I'm kind of like a single housewife without kids. I enjoy having a clean, beautful cottage, and doing the work to create that. I prefer riding my bike to commuting. It's a relief to let go of all that responsibility. I'm no longer making money for people I don't respect. That used to really get to me. I also have much more to give now. It's nice. I had some very lean years when I was teaching dance, and now I have plenty of food, a paid off car and home, and a thriving orchard and vegetable garden. Keeping that going is my work now. I approach it like a paid job, but I work for myself.

bunnys
11-24-12, 6:24am
Yeah, some beautiful responses. Being frugal has enabled me to stay home and grow food, cook, clean, read, knit, do yoga, meditate, and take care of my animals. It had gotten to the point in my teaching that I wasn't enjoying it anymore. I wouldn't "play the game," and I got tired of working for people I didn't like or who were behaving in financially unscrupulous ways. Even when I owned a business, I realized that I'd need to make $50,000. a year for it to really work. After inheriting some money, I realized it was much wiser to stay home and spend minimally. I'm kind of like a single housewife without kids. I enjoy having a clean, beautful cottage, and doing the work to create that. I prefer riding my bike to commuting. It's a relief to let go of all that responsibility. I'm no longer making money for people I don't respect. That used to really get to me. I also have much more to give now. It's nice. I had some very lean years when I was teaching dance, and now I have plenty of food, a paid off car and home, and a thriving orchard and vegetable garden. Keeping that going is my work now. I approach it like a paid job, but I work for myself.

You sound like you've worked this out beautifully. I've kind of got a similar situation to you but I'm still teaching and still "playing the game." And believe me the game is getting progressively more outrageous with each passing year--but you already knew that.

I don't have prospects for inheriting money and have never had a business--but I do have possibilities for generously supplementing my income so I could get out earlier too. Finding the courage to try it is difficult.

Good for you in the way you've created your little niche!

awakenedsoul
11-24-12, 4:12pm
Thanks bunny. I totally understand. It just was getting impossible to teach, in my opinion. (Cell phones, lack of boundaries, punctuality issues, etc.) When I inherited money, I became much more protective over it. I had borrowed on SBA loans to start my business, and I paid that all back. But, I don't have the kind of personality that wants to work with the public for 40 hours a week. I can live on so little this way. Sometimes I feel guilty that I received this money, but then I think that if I were married I would have received a second income. I'm grateful that my father was so frugal and disciplined. If I keep saving, I will be able to use less and less of it.

Good luck with supplementing your income. I think opportunities come to people in different packages. It sounds like a way out of the teaching madness...