PDA

View Full Version : Bucket List?

Greg44
2-7-11, 12:43am
Do you have a bucket list? Things you want to do, achieve, places to go, etc.

Once I had a customer who said that buying a motorcycle was on his bucket list!

I got to thinking...I really don't have a "Bucket List", should I? Was I just moving through life with no goals to reach for? Did it really matter? Do you have a bucket list?

goldensmom
2-7-11, 6:52am
I don't like the term 'bucket list' because it sounds like something new, like the idea originated with the movie. In college (1970's) I made a list of things I wanted to accomplish in life and things I wanted to do. I've accomplished most and let go of some as they became less important over time. I've done most of the things on my list, the last thing is a trip to Alaska which I still may do but it is becoming less important as my priorities change. Again, the term became popular after the movie but the idea is way old.

happystuff
2-7-11, 6:56am
After seeing the movie, I had two items - see the Dalai Lama and see the northern lights. I've seen the Dalai Lama. Have not given up on the northern lights.

Anne Lee
2-7-11, 10:20am
Travel:
Go to Alaska
Travel by train
Go back to England.
Camp in Yellowstone in September

Other stuff:
Ride in a helicopter
Win a contest/award for being good at something
Read all the Dummies books in our local library
Get published and paid for something I write
Have dinner with a "famous" person who has done something of note that interests me (i.e. not a celebrity).
Become an accomplished knitter who can knit Fisherman's Knit and Fair Isle sweaters.

Gina
2-7-11, 12:04pm
No bucket list per se that I intend to do, but I do have a 'life list' onto which I add things that I've done.

Many of the interesting things I've done have been responses to invitations, or even spur of the moment decisions ("Do you want to go to Mexico with me? I'm leaving tomorrow.")

There have been things I thought I wanted to do but know now I will never. Two that come to mind are hear Luciano Pavarotti sing in person, and live in Italy for a year. Pavarotti was in concert about 100 miles away, and I decided against it (and of course now he's dead), and I now wouldn't want to live anywhere but here. Visiting there for a couple weeks now and then has been enough.

One thing I really really really wanted to do was see Egypt, and I was lucky enough to do that a few years ago. It was even more wonderful than I imagined. Since then my yen to travel has greatly diminished, but that doesn't mean I won't if the right thing comes along.

Charity
2-7-11, 4:37pm
Happystuff....I've seen the northern lights but I haven't seen the Dalai Lama. But I saw the Pope up close once.

I want to see the Grand Canyon.
I want to take a ride on the Orient Express.
I want to help harvest grapes at a winery.
I want to take a ride on a hot air balloon.
I want to visit Italy.

Fawn
2-7-11, 5:05pm
~ I would like to be the middle of a total eclipse of the sun. Have been on the edge, but it's not the same.
~ Have six months of no responsibilities and see who I am then.
~ See what my patients see when they gaze and reach and then take their last breath.
~ Walk the Appalacian Trail one spring through fall (maybe coincide w/ #2)

cattledog
2-8-11, 12:21am
No, I don't have one. I kind of a 'bloom where planted' sort of girl. I'm quite content at home and in my city. I have always been that way though, so it feels natural (i.e. I don't feel as though I'm missing out on anything big). I traveled a bit when I was younger. It was nowhere exotic, just road trips around different parts of the country (I went to college in a completely different part of the country and lived in a couple different states growing up- that helps!).

Bill
2-8-11, 9:40am
I don't have a list but have had many things I've always wanted to do. I've done most of them but would still like to travel to Alaska via the Alaska Marine Highway. I'd also love to visit Machu Picchu and Bhutan neither of which will ever happen but I can dream can't I? :+1:

jennipurrr
2-8-11, 10:02am
Pretty sure my list of places I'd love to travel to would not fit in my bucket, haha.

I saw Bob Dylan and Willie Nelson a couple years ago, it wasn't the best show I've ever seen, but I wanted to do it before it was too late. Jimmy Buffett was on my list too, and I never thought I would shell out the $$$, but I got tickets to his free show on the beach. I finally completed the Masters degree and right now I am not putting anything else educational on the list - we'll see how long that last though. I am trying right now to more enjoy the ride rather than accomplish things.

Stella
2-8-11, 12:19pm
I like to let the adventures come on their own terms.

Glo
2-9-11, 9:53am
No bucket list for me. I'm very content living in my community surrounded by family, extended family, and good friends. Don't care to travel, although we'll be visiting our son and DIL in CA probably this year. I'm very blessed to be so satisfied ;it hasn't always been that way in my life.

fidgiegirl
2-9-11, 10:09am
I'd also love to visit Machu Picchu and Bhutan neither of which will ever happen but I can dream can't I? :+1:

Why not, Bill?

Another Minnesotan, I see :) Welcome.

fidgiegirl
2-9-11, 10:13am
I think it's important. I am very much a goal-setter and LOVE the site 43Things. (http://43things.com) Some of my major goals accomplished using the site and the supports within were Get Out of Debt as well as to go to India. Of course I use this site for some huge Bucket List type items as well as smaller items that for me are hard to accomplish but for some would seem more like simple to-dos.

I do like spontaneous adventures, too, but some require planning.

I do agree with goldensmom in that over the years, some of the goals change in importance. My "I've Given Up" list is growing and I'm not afraid to let a goal go. But in general, I accomplish more of them than I give up on :D

Bill
2-9-11, 10:46am
Why not, Bill?

Another Minnesotan, I see :) Welcome.

Thanks for the welcome fidgiegirl. The answer to why not is cost. As an SL person international travel is not within my reach... unless I win the lottery!

RosieTR
2-10-11, 7:43am
In order of % accomplished:
Have a paid-off house and no other debt.
Visit the 50 state high points on foot.
Live in another country for at least one year.
Find my calling.

I think the last is/will be the hardest. There are plenty of other things I'd like to do if given the chance, but haven't formally made it onto a list I'm seriously working on at the moment.

reader99
2-12-11, 8:07pm
After my second ex husband died suddenly of a heart attack at age 43, I did get busy and do some things I had been wanting to do. I swam with dolphins, and finished editing and self publishing a collection of my late mother's writings, as well as pulling together a similar book for my own first 50 years.

Now, it seems to me a list would feel like pestering myself to do more than I can, so, no list.

In a general kind of way I want to leave the people and organizations I interact with better off than they were before I came along. That mostly happens as it arises, without a lot of forward planning.