PDA

View Full Version : Super Bowl: The Commercials

Gregg
2-7-11, 9:15am
Don't know about your parties, but at ours everyone stops to watch the commercials and talks during the game. Hands down this year, Volkswagen's "Mini-Vader" had everyone busting up. The Motorola commercial got pretty good response. The Doritos ad where Grandpa comes back got laughs and lots of "that's so dumb" comments. Anybody else have a favorite?

Anne Lee
2-7-11, 9:29am
I liked the Mini-vader one. The beetle was good too, great graphics. The LOTR-esque Coke commercial was also visually awesome. Pepsi One however was across the board pretty bad.

Budweiser needs to get rid of its ad company as that was one of the WORST Clydesdale commercials ever. "Tiny Dancer"?

The "I love Doritos" commercial was just creepy.

Not a particularly good year for commercials, I thought. Most of them were meh.

Float On
2-7-11, 9:38am
I'm catching a few of them on-line but overall not that impressed. Went grocery shopping during game time since I knew the stores would be nice and quiet and empty.

loosechickens
2-7-11, 11:41am
We were waiting anxiously for the Budweiser "Wild West" gunfighter one, because an acquaintance, who is an actor, was to have been in it, but alas, when it was screened, he ended up on the cutting room floor.

As the commercial was shot, the gunfighter rides into town, a man challenges him, they have a gunfight and he shoots the man down (the guy who got shot was the guy we know). THEN the gunfighter goes into the bar where everyone is terrified of him becuase they are out of beer and this guy is going to be really pissed. And then, of course, the Clydesdales save the day.

However, after it was filmed, they cut it to eliminate the shooting in the beginning and added about a ten second shot of the Clydesdales outside the bar at the end.

We were all disappointed that our friend's part was cut, although since he's a professional actor, and appears in a lot of commercials and small parts in tv and movies, didn't care, since he got paid either way, but..........

I liked the Mini-Vader one and the VW Beetle one and several others, but just didn't think this year's commercials really had it......I think they are getting where they are trying too hard, and it shows......

CathyA
2-7-11, 12:45pm
I just heard that the little boy who played Darth Vadar has a big heart problem......and it was really special for him to get to play this part. It was a pretty cute commercial.

Glo
2-7-11, 1:09pm
At our party, no one was impressed with the commercials. I liked the one with the dogs.

iris lily
2-7-11, 10:34pm
...Budweiser needs to get rid of its ad company as that was one of the WORST Clydesdale commercials ever. "Tiny Dancer"?

I watched it on Youtube and as much as I hate to dis the local brewery, agree, it was stupid. I live less than a mile from the Clyesdae's barn and love them like most St. Louisians.

But their Bud light with the party dogs seemed to be popular.

Last year AB planned to run an ad without Clydesdales and there was public outcry so perhaps this year they just rolled their eyes and said : give' 'em drek with Clydesdales, they won't know the difference.

I wonder if Puglogic saw the one with a pug.

Wildflower
2-8-11, 5:58am
As a pug owner, I really liked the commercial with the pug in it. :D They really do run like that when they see any kind of food, at least mine does. LOL

puglogic
2-8-11, 1:37pm
I wonder if Puglogic saw the one with a pug.

I didn't watch this year but I'm going to have to look that up.... :)

kib
2-8-11, 2:44pm
I only caught Christina Aguilera's faux pas before shutting off the tv. Can we have a vote for Worst Performance of Star Spangled Banner ever? Why not put some music behind it and admit we don't have a female pop star who can sing a capella already? Bad enough she flubbed the 'proudly we hailed' line, but I kid you not, somewhere in the middle someone's Dog started howling. What note was that, exactly?

loosechickens
2-8-11, 8:52pm
The young woman who sang just before her had a beautiful voice.......don't know who she was, as I missed the introduction, and don't recognize singers (for example I wouldn't have recognized Christine Aguilera, either), but that other young woman didn't "fancy" up her song, just sang beautifully.

Why do singers ALWAYS think they have to "gussy up" the national anthem. Sometimes you can hardly recognize the tune, even, they add so much of their "own" stuff......

o.k., the ole curmudgeon is slinking back into her cave, hahahaha

The Storyteller
2-8-11, 10:01pm
The young woman who sang just before her had a beautiful voice.......don't know who she was, as I missed the introduction, and don't recognize singers (for example I wouldn't have recognized Christine Aguilera, either), but that other young woman didn't "fancy" up her song, just sang beautifully.

Why do singers ALWAYS think they have to "gussy up" the national anthem. Sometimes you can hardly recognize the tune, even, they add so much of their "own" stuff......

The young woman is one of the stars from Glee. She is fantastic and ironically, I didn't consider her America the Beautiful to be anywhere near her best. Lot of wonderful young singers on that show. My daughter got me hooked.

If you had caught the Chicago Bears games in the playoffs you would have been treated to one of the best Star Spangled Banner renditions ever delivered before a sporting event. An incredible operatic tenor just belting out straight the way it is supposed to be. Sent chills down my spine both games I saw him at.

Gregg
2-10-11, 10:40am
Can we have a vote for Worst Performance of Star Spangled Banner ever?

According to Time Magazine here are the 10 worst of all time. Hard to argue that any of them don't deserve to be on the list.

http://www.time.com/time/specials/packages/article/0,28804,1889754_1889752_1889689,00.html