PDA

View Full Version : Things nobody seems to want

ctg492
10-19-12, 7:31am
I took several beautiful pieces of hand painted china/oil paintings last spring to a very nice consignment shop. Story, an Aunt painted them back in the 40s. I had no connection with her and felt very strange having them on display in my home. They were given to me by a well meaning cousin. SO far I have collected $29 and was told to pick up the rest as they have been on the 1/2 price section and will not sell.
The owner was kind and said the item are lovely. Every woman painted china in that era, was her quote. No market for it now. Then she showed me things that they will not take in anylonger. Fine China and Silverware settings. The set she showed me was beautiful. She said unless you are a collector, Nobody wants it anymore since it can't go in the dishwasher or Microwave.
I feel bad leaving it at the shop as it is lovely and has somesort of personal background, but I do not have "stuff" or clutter.
The TV shows on collectors and antiques make it look like everyone wants or has stuff.

peggy
10-19-12, 8:35am
Are there any relatives of this woman who would like to have these? Are you her only living relative? There might be someone out there who would cherish these items and their memories of this woman.
I always wonder, when junking, when I see pictures, photographs or paintings of children or babies, why anyone would get rid of family stuff like this. But I guess they are situations like yours where the owners simply don't have a connection to the items.

pinkytoe
10-19-12, 9:34am
Old and antique was popular in the past few decades but seems to have gone out of favor. Many people now like new and modern so unless you can find a collector of those things in particular, you may have to wait until love of old returns. I have some old prints from that era but know they would not sell right now. Very frustrating...

SteveinMN
10-19-12, 12:02pm
When I stroll the aisles of the local thrift store, I'm both astounded at the stuff now considered give-aways -- and saddened that there is so much of it (most of it sold with the implication that it would be an heirloom worth passing on to your descendants).

Lots of companies also have been heaping bodies on the collecting bandwagon. Companies like the Franklin Mint produce endless items in such numbers that they're not even worth what they were purchased for. Even companies like Mattel and TV Guide have gotten into the act (Mattel with special versions of Barbie and Hot Wheels cars in different colors; TV Guide with, say, three different covers of 'Two and a Half Men'). So not only is there a limited market for the older non-essentials like art and china, but there's even less of a market for items marketed as having future value. All waiting for the landfill. :(

SimplyL
10-19-12, 12:26pm
That's a saddening situation to be in. I would just double check with relatives to see if anyone wants the collection. If not, I'd just donate to Goodwill or Salvation Army. Since the lady at the antique shop spoke so favorably for them, it may be something that would go on Goodwill's auction website or be placed in a curio at one of their locations. At our locations, they have a curio by the cash register where they keep items like fine china, art, designer purses, antique/rare books that are donated. Then, it would be on display and hopefully, find it's way to a new home.

ctg492
10-19-12, 1:21pm
There was so much stuff, all beautiful when the apartment was emptied. Everyone in the tiny family has all they need. My mom alone got 83 painted plates. Treasures are only Treasures to those that treasure them sadly. My 80+ Mom has so so many collectables, scary actually. She thinks they are all worth 3xs what she paid. I don't have the heart to tell her, just cruize eBay and price them.

SimplyL
10-19-12, 3:01pm
:( I understand. My great grandmother was hugely into crochet. She made some beautiful things throughout her life. To her it was very special. When she passed away (I was a teenager), recall going through her house. It filled several rooms. There's only so much that the family could take each, so we all picked out a few each that were special to us. I think my Aunt took the most of it. I don't recall what happened to the rest but was likely donated, maybe best items sent on for a church bazaar.

ApatheticNoMore
10-19-12, 3:19pm
Fine China and Silverware settings. The set she showed me was beautiful. She said unless you are a collector, Nobody wants it anymore since it can't go in the dishwasher or Microwave.

pretty surprising (ok I have neither a dishwasher OR a microwave, I know they can be convienient, I didn't know people had become that degree of dependent on them).

When I stroll the aisles of the local thrift store, I'm both astounded at the stuff now considered give-aways -- and saddened that there is so much of it (most of it sold with the implication that it would be an heirloom worth passing on to your descendants

When I stroll the aisles of the local thrift store I'm mostly astounding that there is so much unmitigated JUNK. The household stuff is often not nice at all, it's just junk. And much of it is: "oh wow, something made in China that retails for $4 at Target new, you are selling for $3". But maybe if I was only more of a collector I would see that it isn't junk.

ctg492
10-19-12, 3:27pm
Well Devils Advocate, I guess I remember Thanksgiving dinners when I was little all those moons ago. 10 people all with the china of my Mom's that was Grandma's, all the serving pieces and the silverware......then All the hand washing and drying afterwards.
Dishwshers are a wonderful piece I technology if there is a family or more then two.

SimplyL
10-19-12, 3:34pm
Wonder if people may also be apprehensive to purchase because of the 'hand painted' factor (and it being antique). Just thinking of hand painted or decorative plates that have food safety warnings, these days. People may shop and consider them, but then pass on purchasing because they aren't fully comfortable with serving food on them? Just a thought..

SteveinMN
10-19-12, 11:02pm
When I stroll the aisles of the local thrift store I'm mostly astounding that there is so much unmitigated JUNK. The household stuff is often not nice at all, it's just junk.
Yes, that, too. By no means is everything on the shelves a gem. There are some "wow, that used to be worth something years ago" items. And many -- too many -- "what were they thinking?" items.

danna
10-19-12, 11:18pm
So true....SimplyL...that is something I think about not only with hand painted but a lot of the stuff we are getting today.

ToomuchStuff
10-20-12, 1:11am
pretty surprising (ok I have neither a dishwasher OR a microwave, I know they can be convienient, I didn't know people had become that degree of dependent on them).

ROTFL at that one. I think the microwave is used more then the stove. I won't even go to the dishwasher issue.

Stuff like this, may have a market on Ebay, but I doubt it (or CL for that matter). The market that would seem appropriate to me, is ETSY.

catherine
10-20-12, 7:30am
Yes, I just recently posted how I'm going to try to get rid of my china. I know my daughter doesn't want it. I don't want it partially because I'm not crazy about the pattern any more (it's the kind of busy pattern that would look beautiful in a hutch, but I don't have a hutch. DH is the holiday cook and he rightfully prefers clean "canvasses" for food presentation).

There is also the dishwasher factor for me. I have four kids and at least two SOs who come for dinner on Thanksgiving. We're family, and I'm no longer willing to add to my time in the kitchen having to hand-wash all those dishes when I could much more easily just throw my everyday ware into the dishwasher.

I just read an article how all the collectables of our past, like Hummels and Lladro are simply pretty worthless these days. No one want them, and I can't say I blame them. My mother was completely into Royal Doultons and I always thought they were nothing but pretty dust-collectors.

mtnlaurel
10-20-12, 8:13am
Here are some kooky ideas I came up with this morning re: the paintings.....
- If you enjoy projects...... operative word = ENJOY
what about deconstructing the paintings and cutting them up and making an interesting decoupage wastebasket, tray or something out of them?
http://www.google.com/search?q=decoupage&hl=en&rlz=1C1CHFX_enUS493US493&prmd=imvnsl&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=xYuCUMmRHNS30QH6qIHgDA&ved=0CDcQsAQ&biw=1680&bih=935
The china... a mosaic piece for your garden or something
http://planetforward.ca/blog/tag/green-travel/

-Deconstruct the paintings and use them as liner paper in drawers by putting clear contact paper over them

-Decorate the inside of a closet with them or your garage

-Ask a senior center, assisted living or nursing home if they would like them for decoration
(there might be a person there with no one to decorate, personalize their space)

I never say no when something is given to me* because I never know what is going to come my way (it may be something I love and cherish) and I am really into older things.
I had gotten a bunch of stuff that I think might have some value... it's depression era glass --- again, from the looks of this thread chances are it probably doesn't.....
I didn't want to display it... so we just use it as everyday wear and if it breaks, oh well - it's from my husband's side of the family anyway. ;P

*This policy may change for me one day soon as I feel I am getting close to my own "'stuff' saturation level" and am getting slower at processing things through my household

I get a lot of ideas from this fantastic store in Seattle named Watson Kennedy
The blog : http://www.tedkennedywatson.com/
The store: http://www.watsonkennedy.com/store/Main.asp

And all of the above takes energy... so if the worth of finding a way to enjoy the pieces in another form or finding a home for pieces that may get joy out of them are not worth the energy.. then put them in your car today and drive them to Goodwill. :)

try2bfrugal
10-20-12, 11:09am
I finally gave away pink depression glass from my grandmother. We have a modern style house so it has just been in the closet for years, and I don't see the kids ever complaining that I gave away a clear pink wash bowl and pitcher set from the 1930s. I checked eBay and there was lots of stuff like that up for sale for not much money. The stuff is close to indestructible so it lasts forever. I gave it to a charity so hopefully it will find its way via their thrift shop to someone who wants or needs it and the charity can make some money from it for a good cause.

There is a show on Netflix where a team of people go in and clear out the clutter and old memorabilia in households. They have a big garage sale and then use the money to organize and redecorate a room or two, and unlike some of the other decorating shows the rooms actually look nice and not over the top. Seeing the professional organizer on that show try to talk people out of parting with passed down family items nobody really wants or uses anymore has pretty much convinced me to part with a lot of stuff like that on my own.

Spoony
10-30-12, 9:20pm
I read an article recently which stated that many older/Boomer Americans spent their income on collectibles and conspicuous spending and now that they need cash to retire, they are trying to sell their "stuff." However, the market is now flooded with these items and the values have plummeted. They are then burdened with items that they can't recoup their spending on and are basically prisoners of their "stuff."

I inherited a lot of glass and houseware items when my Mom died and am in the process of selling or giving away much of it. I couldn't say no to it and personally had to wait a number of years after her death before I could objectively decide what to do. I almost wish that she hadn't been into collecting and I hadn't inherited the stuff because it's almost a burden now.

ToomuchStuff
10-30-12, 9:45pm
I read an article recently which stated that many older/Boomer Americans spent their income on collectibles and conspicuous spending and now that they need cash to retire, they are trying to sell their "stuff." However, the market is now flooded with these items and the values have plummeted. They are then burdened with items that they can't recoup their spending on and are basically prisoners of their "stuff."

I inherited a lot of glass and houseware items when my Mom died and am in the process of selling or giving away much of it. I couldn't say no to it and personally had to wait a number of years after her death before I could objectively decide what to do. I almost wish that she hadn't been into collecting and I hadn't inherited the stuff because it's almost a burden now.

I would like to know the name of that article on what my grandmother used to call dust catchers.

iris lily
10-30-12, 11:33pm
I took several beautiful pieces of hand painted china/oil paintings last spring to a very nice consignment shop. Story, an Aunt painted them back in the 40s. I had no connection with her and felt very strange having them on display in my home. They were given to me by a well meaning cousin. SO far I have collected $29 and was told to pick up the rest as they have been on the 1/2 price section and will not sell.
The owner was kind and said the item are lovely. Every woman painted china in that era, was her quote. No market for it now. Then she showed me things that they will not take in anylonger. Fine China and Silverware settings. The set she showed me was beautiful. She said unless you are a collector, Nobody wants it anymore since it can't go in the dishwasher or Microwave.
I feel bad leaving it at the shop as it is lovely and has somesort of personal background, but I do not have "stuff" or clutter.
The TV shows on collectors and antiques make it look like everyone wants or has stuff.

There IS a lot of handpainted china around, everyone painted china back in the day, heck even *I* painted china back in the day but long after the 40's. I like tableware but have my fill of stuff right now, and I like Victorian, not later-decade items. Everyone has a set of Haviland china that they think is worth something but it's not, generally. A few patterns are highly collectible but most are not. Haviland is later than flow blue, which is what I collect. But I think that the price of Victorian flow blue has dropped as well.

Now silver--you can put it in the dishwasher. I wouldn't do that with mine, but our friends who run a Bed & Breakfast Inn always put the sterling in the dishwasher and it gets hard use, nearly daily. Sterling is ALWAYS worth something, so if you have some and don't want it, send it to me, I'll pay the postage, haha.

In general I think it's true that the price of 100 year old items has dropped in the past decade.

iris lily
10-30-12, 11:40pm
I finally gave away pink depression glass from my grandmother. ..

Would you believe that there are contemporary COPIES of pink Depression glass? Makes me laugh. I sold tons of it at a charity sale I organized last summer. I have to wonder why anyone would buy the copies when there are tons of the real thing out there and inexpensive. I had a pink Dep glass platter that was chipped when I bought it so it cost very little. I used it for many years until it broke but I never felt bad about it because--it's Depression glass! There are a billion pieces just like it.

Zoebird
10-31-12, 7:56pm
Collectors go to auctions and speciality shops. A speciality antique china shop would be a good bet, or simply going with an auction house.

For ease, I would go with the latter. They usually take commission and have a fee, so you may not earn anything, but at least it went to a person who wanted it.

rose
11-1-12, 12:40am
I recently worked on selling most of my own stuff and my mom's as we cleared out her house. I visited a large established antique store in our area. Asked about china, as we had a big set from my grandma. He showed me a wall with lots of sets of china displayed. He said he can't remember the last time he sold one. Two people I dealt with said antiques are out now. That values are down about 50%. The blame it on Ebay, the economy and that antiques are not in demand right now. Goes in cycles.

I bought a cool little hutch that folds flat, supposedly traveled on wagon trains, in the 1980's. I asked an antique dealer the value now and he estimated about 50% of what I paid for it. Keeping it for now. It is cute though it is really not my thing anymore.

I got rid of most of my stuff on Craigs list including some art. I priced it well I think. People liked what they bought and that felt good to pass it on to a person that wanted it.

iris lily
11-1-12, 1:27am
I just went over to Ebay to do a quick look up of a couple of areas in which I once bought or that I would buy now if the rights things came along: pickle castors and flow blue china.

There is a high percentage of junk in the flow blue section, lot of stuff that is not flow blue, or is not Staffordshire. I'd say that easily half of it is junk. Most of the rest of the good stuff are poor quality pieces: smalls or saucers or not-the-most-collectible patterns. It certainly looks as though trading is no longer sizzling on ebay, good pieces and prices and buyers aren't there.

When I look at pickle castors I see the same thing: most are junk. But for the few quality pieces there prices are still pretty high although perhaps lower by 25%.

iris lily
11-1-12, 1:30am
rose, I will also add that there is a China Finders store located in my town, and they've got a store in Florida as well. It's like a mini Replacements. They have quite an extensive inventory. They do most of their sales on the web, I believe. Walk in traffic is mostly to sell stuff. A few years ago when I started decluttering I took in some antique dishes and he didn't want them at any price. It was funny, though, that he jumped at my modern, contemporary dishes. Well, they HAD been expensive. He has a polishing device that removed the utensil marks from the plates.

rosarugosa
11-1-12, 8:37am
IL: What is a picke castor? Maybe my Mom has some that I can send you - lol.

Spoony
11-7-12, 8:10pm

Here's one of the articles that discusses this: http://www.smartmoney.com/retirement/planning/downsizing-boomers-looking-to-sell-their-stuff-1301517395843/

catherine
11-7-12, 8:19pm
Arghh.. it's not just Baby Boomers--it's Boomers' parents, too. My mother LOVED little "knick-knacks" and I always hated them. My MIL was so concerned about her stuff that she would ask me, "What's going to happen to my crystal and my Royal Doultons?" She knew I really wanted none of it.

Honestly, it really is just a burden. I do have Lenox dishes that I want to get rid of, but I know no one wants it. I'll be lucky if I get a couple of hundred dollars for twelve five-piece place settings. I also have the crystal that my dear MIL bought for me with her earnings from standing as a department store clerk her whole life, but I have absolutely no interest.

ctg492
11-8-12, 6:15am
That is my mom too, she says Do not let anything happen to her XYandZ collectables.

flowerseverywhere
11-8-12, 7:19am
one day my MIL said "I am so glad I saved all these valuable heirlooms to pass on." When I look around her house all I see is a bunch of junk. A packed attic and basement, three large bedrooms and six rooms downstairs all full of nick nacks, paintings, books etc. We don't know the stories of all these pieces and they mean nothing to us. There are a few things that have meaning to DH, but they can fit in a medium sized box. We don't want musty old books. We don't want little statues. We don't want fancy glass in a cabinet.

We just moved to a 55+ community. We have way less stuff than most people and sold or gave away about 75% of that. It took us two days to unpack everything and organize the cabinets and closets. I can't tell you how many of our neighbors have garages packed full of boxes or large storage units packed to the top. I stopped by one of our new neighbors houses the other day and you could not walk through the living room, it was full of boxes except for a path to get through.
Instead of dealing with stuff we can live life, have fun, read books, cook, exercise etc. We also needed a smaller house, and less storage space in the house. Less to heat, cool and pay taxes on.
When we got rid of all of our stuff, I kept thinking that if we pass, at least our kids don't have to deal with it. And auctions can also be very unsatisfying to the seller. Boxes of stuff going for $5.

and on top of it all I keep thinking of so many countries where people are living in refugee camps, or in huts made of cardboard or slums. Quite the imbalance and we complain about taxes being high. Jeesh, as a society the developed world certainly has a problem with priorities.

sweetana3
11-8-12, 8:28am
We feel the same way (well I do except for my fabric). We are planning to sell the Fiesta and misc. that has been boxed up in the basement for years. I keep giving away other things.

Mom got rid of so much when she moved that she does not need a storage closet. One box for Xmas, one for wreaths for her door and one for other holidays is all that is stored of that type of thing. Her knicknacks that have personal meaning are out on view. Took nothing to unpack and fill the bookcases and closets and she was immediately at home. It sure made moving 600 miles so much easier.

shadowmoss
11-8-12, 8:29am
I still remember the grandson of my landlord who came with him while he fixed a water leak right after I moved into this apartment in Honduras. He wandered around from room to room looking at all the boxes of not-yet-unpacked stuff with wide eyes and said 'Wow, you have a lot of stuff!'. I felt so conspicuous (even though I can't spell it...) and I still do. That has motivated some decluttering, and not wanting to move so much back to the States has motivated more. Knowing that in one of the other apartments that is about 1/3 the size of mine there was a family of 5 living happily also keeps me on my toes.

Fawn
11-8-12, 8:32am
Paula, I'm curious, what did you have in those boxes?

sweetana3
11-8-12, 8:32am
And I think it is better to not have any arguement about stuff while the person is still alive. If they cannot get rid of it voluntarilly, promise anything and deal with it later. Although we all did tell Dad that none of us wanted the farm and he should figure out what to do with it.

Auctions will come in and clean out the house if the kids do not want to. Just tell the elders not to leave money or valuables hidden without telling someone or writing it up and giving it to someone. My dad is now trying to find the rest of the money and gold my aunt stashed all thruout her house. A nightmare to be sure.

SteveinMN
11-8-12, 9:16am
Just tell the elders not to leave money or valuables hidden without telling someone or writing it up and giving it to someone. My dad is now trying to find the rest of the money and gold my aunt stashed all thruout her house. A nightmare to be sure.
Heh. My ex-wife's aunt and grandparents told of "precious family heirlooms", some of which were given to my ex's family while they were alive and some after their passing. All of them turned out to be worth far less than what we (they?) were led to believe. And some of it was out-and-out junk. What a terrible way to waste money...

flowerseverywhere
11-8-12, 10:53am
Auctions will come in and clean out the house if the kids do not want to. Just tell the elders not to leave money or valuables hidden without telling someone or writing it up and giving it to someone. My dad is now trying to find the rest of the money and gold my aunt stashed all thruout her house. A nightmare to be sure.

exactly. I helped MIL clean out a room that was a downright dangerous falling hazard. We kept finding little jars of coins, envelopes with $20 or $50 in it, and some bills hidden in books. this is a woman who for years wore bras with pins holding them together. When the time comes we'll have to open every book, every magazine, every little box and hidey place.

JaneV2.0
11-8-12, 1:16pm
There's practically nothing that someone won't take off your hands. If you don't believe me, subscribe to a Freecycle list. People are willing to drive for a half hour to pick up a shoe box full of twist ties or a broken Betamax. Problem solved.

shadowmoss
11-8-12, 3:53pm
Fawn: Mostly kitchen stuff I'm not using, camping gear I'm not using, some craft stuff I'm not using. A lot of it I will use when I'm back in the States, just not here.
Some of it is electronics I don't want out in view.

To get back to topic, my parents got rid of most of their stuff for the very reason that they didn't want me to have to deal with it. Mom keeps to pretty much what will fit in her 1 br apartment. Her brother and sister are a different matter all together. I asked my Mom who she thought my bachelor Uncle was leaving things to and she got defensive about his money. I said I didn't care about that, I was worried about who would have to go into his house and clear it out!