PDA

View Full Version : re-read the uncut version of The Stand

Zoe Girl
10-20-12, 3:19pm
Oh it is wonderfully epic. I read the original published verison 3-4 times and this is the 2nd time I read the longer edition. Ahhhh,

And it does relate to simplicity because after all when everyone is dead and the electricity is off you get kinda simpler, just trust me.

Can I say my son is quite a huge reader. He is saying life is unfair, like many 15 year olds, but it is because he does not have enough time to read everything he wants. Currently the original Dracula, some Asimove and Henlein. It all seems to fit with his long board and white-boy dreads

Stacy
10-20-12, 4:11pm
I loved The Stand when I read in as a teenager. I've always loved books where there is an epic journey involved. Also, the simple living aspect appealed to me as well. I loved the house in Nebraska in the book, and hoped the characters would settle down there. So does the uncut version really add a lot to the story? Does it change it in any way?
I'm glad to hear that your son loves reading. I'm happy to say that my son also does, and he's gotten into writing some fiction, too.

Jilly
10-20-12, 5:51pm
My daughter has read that so many times that she is on her fifth or sixth copy. I liked it as well, but not that much. :)

creaker
10-20-12, 6:21pm
The Stand was the only Stephen King book I liked. How much longer is the uncut version?

Alan
10-20-12, 7:30pm
The Stand was the only Stephen King book I liked. How much longer is the uncut version?
It's not just uncut, it was also updated to take place about 1990 rather than the 70's of the original. The extra material adds about 400 pages to the hardcover edition.

I read all of King's earlier work, up till Rose Madder or so, and this is his very best work IMHO.

Stacy
10-20-12, 7:45pm
It's not just uncut, it was also updated to take place about 1990 rather than the 70's of the original. The extra material adds about 400 pages to the hardcover edition.

Well then, I'll have to read it. It will be interesting to see how the changes affected the story.

Zoe Girl
10-20-12, 8:10pm
I have to say the longer version adds a lot in the character development. A larger chunk of the book is about the initial Captain Trips and how that played out in the first week.

lhamo
10-20-12, 9:39pm
Thanks for the tip -- sounds like something DS might enjoy. We like watching those various survival shows together on Discovery, etc. I'll probably read it, too.

lhamo

BayouGirl
10-20-12, 10:56pm
I usually end up reading The Stand every few years. Usually I am not into a lot of fiction I do enjoy Stephen King's older books. The Stand is great because it is so huge and it keeps your interest all through it because it has believable and interesting characters. It's a great book for vacation or for a car trip. It is a really big book but it reads easily.

Simplemind
10-21-12, 2:30am
I agree that it is his best work. I've read both versions and love the character development.

AustinKat
10-21-12, 6:53pm
I've read nearly everything Stephen King has published (including the entire Dark Tower series), and The Stand is still my favorite. He's written so many wonderful stories and characters, across dozens of novels, but The Stand is special. I would definitely recommend the uncut version to anyone who's only read the shorter one.

(Don't get me started on the miniseries. I have many loud and shouty issues with it, which I will not inflict on anyone here. :doh:)

JaneV2.0
10-21-12, 8:53pm
I have to say the only one of King's characters I liked was Christine. Everyone else just seemed ugly to me, for one reason or another. I finally gave up on him.

AnneM
10-21-12, 11:17pm
I read it in high school, 1980, 1981. This book scared the bejeesus out of me. I remember reading it over a weekend, and Friday and Saturday night not turning off my nightstand lamp until 3am. I just couldn't put down the book! Then when I finally turned off the light, I would put the covers over my head so that Randall Flagg couldn't find me! :0!

decemberlov
10-22-12, 9:41am
I absolutely loved the original and will definitely get the new one and read it as well. Now maybe they'll update the movie and bring that up to speed a little as well...that would be awesome! I did love the movie as well but thought it would be a little better if it wasn't done the "made for tv" way. Any for anyone that hasn't see the movie it was streaming on netflix a month or two ago...probably is still on there.

Alan
10-22-12, 9:56am
I absolutely loved the original and will definitely get the new one and read it as well. Now maybe they'll update the movie and bring that up to speed a little as well...that would be awesome!
Just for clarity, the 'new one' was released in 1990 and the TV mini-series was produced in 1994.

decemberlov
10-22-12, 10:00am
Just for clarity, the 'new one' was released in 1990 and the TV mini-series was produced in 1994.

oh bummer...so looks like the movie will not be update :~)