PDA

View Full Version : Photos as postcards?

razz
2-8-11, 10:08am
Anyone done this? Taken some favourite photos that you have taken, printed and then sent off as postcards?

I have some neat photos that I am very pleased with and would like to use as postcard thankyou's etc. What might be the problems with doing this?

Float On
2-8-11, 11:09am
No problem. I print photos all the time on heavy cardstock and use as postcards. Just make sure they measure correctly to USPS regulations. If I want to send a glossy photo I've used the full page sticky lable cut to size to add a little heft and decent writing surface.
If you want to print up a lot of the same postcard, I use vistaprint and have never had a problem with the photo postcards I've made there - use them all the time for my business (photos of our glass). Their colors are very true.

treehugger
2-8-11, 1:13pm
I realize this isn't exactly what you asking, but you can send photos printed the standard way (photo paper) through the mail as postcards. My brother and mom do it all the time with surplus photos (of course, there are far fewer surplus photos sitting around the house these digital days).

Hattie
2-8-11, 2:47pm
We run a small motel and do this all the time. We give the postcards away to our guests for free.

We print them on 110 lb cardstock and use 4 X 6 size for photos. You can actually purchase post card paper from stores but we found it didn't feed properly in our printer.

We print the photos on diagonally opposite corners so we can print two postcards on one sheet. For the front we use a 4 X 6 borderless photo format (but printed on 8 1/2 X 11 110 lb cardstock). In order to get the photos the correct orientation, you may have to print them upside down (that's what we do). We print one photo, put the paper back into the printer to print the second photo on the opposite corner on the same side of the paper and print the second photo.

On the reverse, we have it set up in Word in landscape format, with the back side of the post card occupying the upper left corner (6" wide and 4" vertical). We flip the paper over so the printed photos are on the other side and then print the back of one postcard. We reinsert the paper rotating it so it prints the second back on the opposite corner and print the second back of the postcard. After printing both sides of 2 postcards on an 8 1/2 X 11 page, we just use a paper trimmer to trim them.

It sounds more complex then it actually is. :)

razz
2-8-11, 3:13pm
Thanks for all the advice and support that this is possible.

kib
2-8-11, 3:21pm
Goodness, Hattie! Why not just photoshop them to fit four on a page?

Hattie
2-8-11, 4:08pm
Goodness, Hattie! Why not just photoshop them to fit four on a page?

We have found 4 X 6 is a nice size to mail. Also they are double sided. The front is a photo and the back has a place for address, stamp and message (with printing on this side). By putting only 2 per page, we can print them easily with the fronts and backs lined up perfectly. We played around with many ideas and designs but found this one was foolproof. *S*