PDA

View Full Version : Any photographers here?

Birchwood
10-23-12, 3:08pm
I started photography during the film days and now going digital.
I like nature, street scene, and macrophotography.

studentofecology
10-23-12, 3:32pm
I enjoy taking pictures, but I'm definitely an amateur. I take my camera with me on hikes, and us it to document goings-on in my garden.

KayLR
10-23-12, 4:50pm
Like you all, I am an amateur, too. But photography's a great love of mine. I rarely am anywhere without my camera. Cuz ya just never know....

Float On
10-23-12, 5:36pm
I do mostly product photography. My husband is a glassblower and glass has always been one of the hardest art forms to photograph well. I was never happy with what professional jury photographers did so I learned on my own. My images have been in trade magazines (Niche, Crafts Report), art show advertizing(print and billboards and art show T-shirts), I've had one image used in MidWest Living and the December issue of our state magazine will have a few of my images (as well as an article on my husband). I've done our catalogs, jury images, etc... for years. Some of my favorite photography is macro, I love color and will photograph a tiny section of glass and it's just incredible what a journey is going on inside the glass. I made a calendar last year of just my macro images.

Birchwood
10-23-12, 5:55pm
I do mostly product photography. My husband is a glassblower and glass has always been one of the hardest art forms to photograph well. I was never happy with what professional jury photographers did so I learned on my own. My images have been in trade magazines (Niche, Crafts Report), art show advertizing(print and billboards and art show T-shirts), I've had one image used in MidWest Living and the December issue of our state magazine will have a few of my images (as well as an article on my husband). I've done our catalogs, jury images, etc... for years. Some of my favorite photography is macro, I love color and will photograph a tiny section of glass and it's just incredible what a journey is going on inside the glass. I made a calendar last year of just my macro images.

Looks like you are a pro at it. I would think glass is very interesting and pretty to photograph. You can use natural or reflective lighting. Even bounced flash will work well. My macro are usually ordinary flowers and butterflies. What kinf of
equipmentdo you use?

Float On
10-23-12, 6:04pm
I grew up on Cannon and currently have two large cannons with different add-on lens and filters. I have a photography studio in the back of my packing room addition to our glass studio. Lots of lights, grayscale backdrops, tents, etc... whatever I need to control the setting. My tri-pod and remote click are my friends. I've never taken a class and never really absorbed all the names for what I'm doing - it just seems to come natural. As I say my good images are happy accidents. I just have an eye for what I want to see. Not a pro just did what I needed to do.

SteveinMN
10-23-12, 7:28pm
* Raises hand *

I've been a hobbyist photographer for decades, and have even had some of my work displayed at local galleries/museums and published in some major newspapers/Web sites. When I left full-time work in June, my plan was to do more real-estate and architectural photography, but the way living simply has been working for us, it looks like I'll be able to concentrate on fine-art photography and not have to supplant it with another income stream. :cool:

My wife jokes that what I do is "static photography" -- I tend not to take pictures of people or pets or shoot weddings or anything else that moves. I could take pictures of those subjects, but I much prefer shooting images of patterns in what's around us -- whether that's a row of rental bicycles standing at their kiosk or a macro photograph of a milkweed pod.

I don't think I've photographed much glass, but I have taken pictures of ice. :) Some of those shots are visible in my introduction thread (http://www.simplelivingforum.net/showthread.php?4449-Delurking) (scroll down to the bottom).

Rogar
10-23-12, 10:22pm
I've done some semi-serious hobby photography for years. Mostly nature. I thought at one time I might make a few bucks at it and have been in a few exhibits and have had a photo displayed in our state capitol building. Anymore I mostly do it for fun and excuse to get outdoors. I have a web site if anyone is interested. http://www.rouchnaturephotos.com/

I didn't realize there were so many photographers among us. That's neat.

Tussiemussies
10-23-12, 10:44pm
Do love to photograph nature too and take my camera along with me where I go.

Didn't know we had so many experienced photographers here...Float On it is so great tat you taught yourself photography and do such great work with it.

Steve, glad that you are getting the chance to do what you want with your photography...

Rogar, I am going to take a look at your website...

My husband has his degree in photography, he is busy with a side business in graphic arts but I'll still turn to him when there is a family shot needed or for a person, he gets the lighting just right!

Rosemary
10-24-12, 8:08am
Another amateur here. I lugged a heavy 35mm manual SLR with me all over the Southwest for landscape photography fun. Now I'm using a higher-end but not SLR digital camera and getting back into landscapes and my other favorite, taking photos of insects on my flowers, after a number of years of photographing mostly kids. :)

Float On
10-24-12, 8:13am
Tradd was just getting into celebration photographt

goldensmom
10-24-12, 9:10am
I did professional wedding photography in the 1980’s (film era and before Photoshop) but quit as it was too stressful and travel/time consuming. After doing some pleasure photography when the end of the film did not attach to the take up reel I panicked at the thought of that happening during a wedding shoot. Although I do digital now I still am a purest and prefer film, natural composition and manual settings, just seems more artistic.

Birchwood
10-24-12, 11:51am
When I got my first job, I bought an all manual Nikon SLR and a 50 mm lens. I added another prime lens every birthday.
I shot mainly kodachrome and ektachrome slide films for many years and blow up the images from a slide projector.
Folks got a kick of the magnified images. It took a while for me to get to digital, as I just love the slides. Finally I can longer buy the films and processing got expensive too. My last film camera was F100 and my lenses are full framed type.
When Nikon brought out a full frame Digital camera I can barely afford, I pulled the trigger and bought the D700!
My surprise is that I can still use all the lenses I got in the last 30 years with it.!!

SteveinMN
10-24-12, 4:44pm
When Nikon brought out a full frame Digital camera I can barely afford, I pulled the trigger and bought the D700!
My surprise is that I can still use all the lenses I got in the last 30 years with it.!!
The D700 is my primary body, as well. And one of the reasons I went Nikon rather than Canon was exactly because I could use any lens made in the last 30-40 years (Canon can't do that). Good lenses will last. Good bodies will, too, but, in the digital age, lenses typically have a much longer lifespan than the bodies.

Float On
10-24-12, 5:16pm
I was trying to say (before my laptop went crazy again) that Tradd was getting into celebration photography just before she started studies for her test. Hope she gets back into it.