PDA

View Full Version : Going back into my cave now

puglogic
10-23-12, 4:24pm
I was traveling on business last night and woke up in a hotel, stumbled down to "enjoy" the hotel breakfast. On the inevitable TV in the breakfast room, they had on Good Morning America, so I got to see a slice of America I usually avoid.

There was the screaming crowd of tweenaged girls in Times Square, clustered around the multimillion dollar marketing blitz of Target/Taylor Swift. That I could almost handle.

Then there was the segment about women who love to have their hair "blown out" (styled and blow dried) several times a week. They did a live bit on the show where stylists did this to regular women, then showed the before and after......which btw none of us in the breakfast room could tell one iota of difference. But learning that some of these women spend hundreds of dollars every month to get this non-effect? Rough.

And the ads. Oh, the ads for morning TV.

My husband commented that for the amount of money we saw spent on trivial consumer b.s. in the space of 15 minutes, they could've done job retraining for an entire small city, radically changing the unemployment rate there, really changing peoples' lives. Our priorities are just so so amazing in this country. Sure, we're capitalists here. "They" have the right to make, spend, waste as much money as they want on trivial, meaningless nonsense, that's what freedom's all about (cue patriotic ditty here). But that doesn't mean it's not sickening.

I'm going back in my cave now. I obviously can't handle the truth.

gimmethesimplelife
10-23-12, 4:33pm
It is pretty depressing to see how trite and fluffy and meaningless something like Good Morning America is. I rather think this kind of thing works in the morning for a lot of people as many are on their way off to jobs they hate and/or live in fear of - at least as far as getting the ax and losing income and health insurance. So something light and trivial is gong to work for them perhaps as they are already in serious fear mode. What you can do perhaps? Don't buy the products advertised on the program (works if you believe every time you spend a dollar you cast a vote for how you want the world to be) - and don't watch the show. You know it upsets you, this kind of programming - pull the plug kind of like I did last night by not watching the debate. Just my two cents.......Rob

JaneV2.0
10-23-12, 5:02pm
The last thing I need when I wake up is a lot of squealing and content-free fare. I watch Stephanie Miller on Current, which has been characterized as "like a Mensa meeting with fart jokes."

SimplyL
10-23-12, 5:11pm
I exercise my DVR and as a rule, watch mostly programs that are already recorded. Directv is the no no zone for husband, since he's pretty much stuck with no Netflix when overseas or military network most of the year, so I don't budget but figure if we have it anyway - I'll record a few programs (and do like Discovery/History channel, BBC, a little on TLC, and House Hunters International (even if it's mostly a set up, still fun to look). I've really even got away from the DVR for syndicated shows, because it still takes awhile with DVR to flash through the 10+ commercials in between breaks. Even noticed last time I watched King of Queens, it records 36 minutes start to finish vs. 30 minutes and seemed like 1/2 to 3/4 was advertisements plus the extra 6 minutes of recording time? Now that is just ridiculous and can't imagine watching live television like that!

Also, I do not watch the morning shows. Their segments even are tend to be consumer related, or 'stars' (I use that term loosely) pushing a movie, show, or hawking a product or book. The usual formula also being that some 'star' was down and out and then is on top again (new baby, new marriage, new revelation) or conveniently before something is out to promote, they divorce, have trouble with the law, decide to share with the world some hidden secret or health issue. It just grates on my nerves, so I've learned to avoid.

Guess it wouldn't hurt ya if you didn't watch GMA for the next year or more, huh?

Float On
10-23-12, 5:19pm
I don't mind ending my day with a little TV but I sure can't start my day with that thing on.
When we traveled all the time I'd usually send my husband to the hotel lobby for breakfast items and make him bring them back to the room for me....mainly because of the morning tv shows that always seemed to be on in the lobbies.

CathyA
10-23-12, 5:34pm
The Today Show on NBC is the worst for useless junk. That's too bad. They used to be much more serious.
And Good Morning America (ABC) has gotten bad too.......especially after they hired that woman who is usually on the Tabloid shows.
Lately, I've turned more to CBS' morning show with Charlie Rose and others. They seem to at least start out the show with serious stuff.
I tend to watch the first 15-20 minutes in the morning to get the most important stuff, then the rest turns to junk.......which is very unfortunate.
But I guess if your show is going to be 4 hours long in the morning (The Today Show), you have to fill it with junk.

I always hate going to get my car serviced because there's always crap on the TV in the waiting room and everyone is glued to it. :(

iris lily
10-23-12, 5:44pm
I've never listened to those morning tv shows and was never able to gen up angst over whichever blonde chick was being fired to be replaced by another, younger, blonde chick. We are a talk radio radio household from 5 am until 6 pm. DH tends to leave the radio on all day when he is gone and I worry about it being too loud for the dogs, yet the French girls might like it a bit.

I wonder if Gordon would enjoy radio?

JaneV2.0
10-23-12, 6:07pm
I've never listened to those morning tv shows and was never able to gen up angst over whichever blonde chick was being fired to be replaced by another, younger, blonde chick. We are a talk radio radio household from 5 am until 6 pm. DH tends to leave the radio on all day when he is gone and I worry about it being too loud for the dogs, yet the French girls might like it a bit.

Stephanie's on radio simulcast, so I have a choice of media. An embarrassment of riches.

Gardenarian
10-23-12, 6:12pm
It's been quite a while since I watched any TV. It is shocking when you think that the "average American" watches 6 hours of that every day! Even just running in the background - it must really mess with your mind.

I'll join you in that cave!

artist
10-23-12, 6:55pm
This is why we don't own a tv. I can't handle it. Makes me ill.

bae
10-23-12, 6:57pm
It's been quite a while since I watched any TV. It is shocking when you think that the "average American" watches 6 hours of that every day! Even just running in the background - it must really mess with your mind.

This is why I live in a cave full-time.

ApatheticNoMore
10-23-12, 7:22pm
My husband commented that for the amount of money we saw spent on trivial consumer b.s. in the space of 15 minutes, they could've done job retraining for an entire small city, radically changing the unemployment rate there, really changing peoples' lives.

yea but the people selling trivial BS, the blowout hairdressers and stuff would lose their jobs, not to mention all the marketing people.

The tweens are just tweens, heavily heavily marketed to, and hardly worldly wise.

I usually am suprised at how bad the advertising on t.v. is when I watch it, because it's usually been a while, then again I feel that way about a lot of things. :~)

JaneV2.0
10-23-12, 7:56pm

I enjoy TV. I doubt it messes with my mind any more than reading or fiddling with my computer does. I have noticed a shorter attention span (hardly possible) since I've done more reading on line than in books. I imagine that's common among computer/tablet/smartphone users.

Rogar
10-23-12, 10:11pm
One person's trash is another's treasure. I also marvel at how many people watch a bunch of over sized gallutes in uniforms bashing heads this time of year.

jp1
10-23-12, 10:17pm
Personally I'd never turn on the tv, and definitely not in the morning. I lived without one for 10 years just fine. But alas, SO LOVES tv. And I love him... So it goes. He puts on the morning 'news' and then GMA if he's still here at 7:00, but thankfully turns it off when he leaves for work. Every morning I watch the news, which consists of the days big 'news' plus traffic and weather in an endless cycle. The weather and traffic here are pretty much the same every day so I don't know why they bother, but they do. The only interesting thing ever was when the earthquake happened a few months ago (4.2 Magnitude) and the female anchor seemed to be having a mini-meltdown.

Thankfully I can't really hear any of it over the crunching of my store-brand honey bunches & oats, but I confess I DO know to call either 800- five eight eight - two three hundred, Empire Today for new flooring or to call for COIT if I need any cleaning done, and that Honda has ONE button, the eco button, which is the only button in a car that truly matters... I used to believe that Stanley Steamer got my home cleaner, but since they've stopped advertising I no longer believe that...

JaneV2.0
10-23-12, 10:55pm
It occurs to me that my mind is indeed messy, but it's always been thus and I wouldn't have it any other way. (BTW, do we still have that Dead Horse forum? http://www.kolobok.us/smiles/artists/snoozer/zomby.gif )

Tiam
10-23-12, 11:40pm
Personally, I think GMA is the fluffiest. It's not a problem. I can choose not to watch it. Why would I want a total downer before heading off to work. I'm more amused by it's nepotistic self propagandizing. In other words: Promotion.

Tussiemussies
10-23-12, 11:47pm
I gave up watching TV once again after going back to it for a little while. I just felt so down after watching it I decided it wasn't worth ruining my moods over. Cannot stand the commercials either.

Basically also live in a cave, noTV, no magazines, except things like Mother Earth News and I haven't listened to the radio in a long time. What used to really get me is when this one radio channel used to call their music segments 4-play.

Maxamillion
10-24-12, 12:15am
I've never had cable as an adult. TV just doesn't interest me much, although I do go on Netflix every now and then when I'm bored--they've got loads of Star Trek on there and I like an occasional of that every now and then.

My family keeps their TVs on all the time, day and night; it drives me crazy when I visit. In the past when I've spent the night, once everyone was asleep, I would turn the TVs off, only to be woke up two or three hours later by one of the TVs going again.

Rosemary
10-24-12, 7:59am
I take ear plugs when we go to MIL's house because the TV is always on...loudly... sometimes dueling TVs... and it really increases my stress level. It makes me crazy when people talk loudly to talk over the TV rather than turning it down or off.

We never have the TV on. We watch movies on occasion. I particularly enjoy election season without TV as I know I am "missing" all that negativity.

Rogar
10-24-12, 8:34am
I went for about a decade without TV. Anymore, I think it is great as long as a person is selective. I watch a fair amount of PBS and do Netflix. No cable and I rarely watch network TV.

puglogic
10-24-12, 8:52am
I don't mind ending my day with a little TV but I sure can't start my day with that thing on.
When we traveled all the time I'd usually send my husband to the hotel lobby for breakfast items and make him bring them back to the room for me....mainly because of the morning tv shows that always seemed to be on in the lobbies.

Float On, this is a good plan.

I certainly wouldn't watch this of my own volition. I haven't in many years, and now that I know how nauseous it makes me, will be more vigilant to stay away. It's like I got a glimpse of the America that I am ashamed of....one full of waste, mindless consumerism, vanity, and $2000 ankle booties. It's hard to shake the disgust.

We only rarely watch any television, and when we do, it's usually a small-time sporting event we love, or PBS.

puglogic
10-24-12, 8:54am

I think he might, I.L., when he has to be in his crate for a bit. He still suffers some angst at being confined, but having sounds around seems to help. Thanks for that idea!!

CathyA
10-24-12, 9:00am
When I was taking care of a sick chicken in a crate in my bathroom, I put a TV in there, to keep it company. I think it was on PBS or Andy Griffith, etc. Don't know if it helped or drove her nuts. haha
I really don't know if sound helps them feel less alone, but its worth a try.

I agree about all the crap going on out there. I can't even stand to watch the commercials during a good show. It scares me that its so crazy out there.

SimplyL
10-24-12, 9:19am
I'm envisioning a chicken watching Andy Griffith. Funny!

SteveinMN
10-24-12, 9:52am
I'm more amused by it's nepotistic self propagandizing. In other words: Promotion.
I gave up pretty much totally on the local TV news when they started teasing incessantly: "Anthrax found at a local shopping mall. Find out which one at 10." Of course, long before that, they were including breathless descriptions of that evening's primetime fare as part of the news they "had" to fit into their 22-minute slots. So many important things to discuss and they have to include what essentially is yet another commercial.

I particularly enjoy election season without TV as I know I am "missing" all that negativity.
With the triumph of the Citizens United case, TV has been absolutely carpet-bombed with ads that are almost laughable in their recounts of failure and predictions of doom and gloom should certain someones be elected. Loaded words, slanted perspectives, selective amnesia, and accusations of lying from some of the biggest hypocrites on the national political scene. If it weren't for the billions being wasted on this nonsense, it would be parody and comedy of a pretty high order. Kind of like watching Saturday Night Live in 30-second doses.

Polliwog
10-24-12, 9:57am
I'm envisioning a chicken watching Andy Griffith. Funny!

ROFLMAO!!!

ToomuchStuff
10-24-12, 10:12am
I gave up pretty much totally on the local TV news when they started teasing incessantly: "Anthrax found at a local shopping mall. Find out which one at 10."

A friend was complaining about that. "Are your teens using bath salts as drugs? What are investigation leads to, you need to know, Thursday at 10", and the days leading up to that reporting on some kids that died from bath salts. So my boss says the news then bore some responsibility for not airing "what we need to know, aka news" sooner.

I look at it as the newspaper, which is a dying media. The paper tries to get you to subscribe, when they have a drive and "give away introductory/trial subscriptions", they seem to take notice. They then take that subscriber count and use it to set rates for advertisers, who see a larger then actual/normal subscription rate. More ads hit the paper, people don't want to pay full price to be advertised to, and the cycle continues.

pinkytoe
10-24-12, 10:13am
Just who is it these obnoxious morning advertisers are after I wonder? I turn it on sometimes before work for about ten minutes just to see who blew up who and which way the wind is blowing that day. The car ads literally make me jump out of my skin though and turn the thing off. Are people perhaps more easily persuaded when they are half asleep? It scares me to think a majority of people fall for this stuff.

ToomuchStuff
10-24-12, 10:40am
. Are people perhaps more easily persuaded when they are half asleep? It scares me to think a majority of people fall for this stuff.

Under the influence of sleep, alcohol, drugs, etc. all seem to benefit them, just look at late night informericals.
I only had OTA tv for a long time. I had cable tv available, but didn't have it hooked up (less expensive internet with it, then just the internet). Now that they (EDIT CABLE) went to all encrypted (which is just a way for them to get more money and use your information to better market to you), I don't even have that access (won't play their games). I am happy about shows being online. I watch one, but have had at least one other, that I cannot obtain in my country on a format that is playable within (I would love to have it on DVD). (Mrs. Brown's Boys)
No commercials is a big benefit, and something that if I am paying for tv, should already be that way. (at the least with this encrypted junk, I should be able to select my channel lineup/pay per channel)

Gregg
10-24-12, 11:38am
DW likes to have the Today show on while she gets ready for work. I don't really know why. Every once in a while she will storm into my office telling me about something that happened that she just doesn't think is right. It's usually something that has already been all over the internet for a few days, that was totally blown out of any reasonable sense of proportion by the network popinjays and that has no bearing or effect on our lives whatsoever. It usually reinforces my belief that I'm not missing anything.

Gregg
10-24-12, 11:57am
Under the influence of sleep, alcohol, drugs, etc...

How curious that no one seems to catagorize TV itself as a drug anymore. I've always thought it might be the most powerful of all. People will find a way to pay for it no matter what other bill goes unpaid. It comes on in the morning and again right when kids get home from school or adults from work. Shows are geared to entice kids at a young age and the commercials for sugared cereal and happy meals set the hook. People make and eat dinner, get dressed and undressed, sleep, make love, do housework and more all in front of the tube. People plan their social life so they won't miss "their show". You see pictures all the time of primitive dwellings without running water, but with a flat screen TV on the wall. There are billions of addicts around the world, but no one seems to be paying any attention*. Like with other drugs, addiction is a symptom or a result of something else. Shirley Chisholm had a little insight back in the 70's.

“It is not heroin or cocaine that makes one an addict, it is the need to escape from a harsh reality. There are more television addicts, more baseball and football addicts, more movie addicts, and certainly more alcohol addicts in this country than there are narcotics addicts.”

*Actually that's not true, the advertisers are paying a great deal of attention.

JaneV2.0
10-24-12, 12:26pm
Oh for God's sake. If that's true, then books were my gateway drug. And to think I voted for Ms. Chisholm.

Gregg
10-24-12, 2:10pm
If I'd have been in NY in the 70's I probably would have voted for her, too. Btw, the difference between books and TV is that with TV they have removed that pesky little step of using your mind so all you have to do is relax. And sleeeeeeep....

JaneV2.0
10-24-12, 3:30pm
If I'd have been in NY in the 70's I probably would have voted for her, too. Btw, the difference between books and TV is that with TV they have removed that pesky little step of using your mind so all you have to do is relax. And sleeeeeeep....

Are you serious? My mind is, if anything, more engaged watching TV--my visual cortex is delighted by colorful moving images while my critical faculties are busy deconstructing the narrative. I'm sure there were po-faced* social critics bemoaning the death of culture when Shakespeare's plays emerged on the scene...Now, of course, you can watch those on TV, too.

I've never lived in New York. I voted for Shirley Chisholm in a presidential election. "Unbought and unbossed." We need more of that.

*Thanks, Iris Lily!

treehugger
10-24-12, 4:26pm
I've never lived in New York. I voted for Shirley Chisholm in a presidential election. "Unbought and unbossed." We need more of that.

I watched a fascinating documentary about her (on my TV!). I had never heard of her and was captivated by her story.

Kara

Spartana
10-25-12, 3:42pm
Now I'm glad I only watch world news in the evenings (with my favorite anchor Snot Smelly - Scot Pelley) as the morning shows sound like they have a lot of fluff. I have watched the one with Diane Sawyer but just to read the scrolling banner on the bottom for quick news updates. I am currently TV-less so am also totally clueless - you know...like always :-)!

ToomuchStuff
10-27-12, 12:55am
How curious that no one seems to catagorize TV itself as a drug anymore. I've always thought it might be the most powerful of all. People will find a way to pay for it no matter what other bill goes unpaid. It comes on in the morning and again right when kids get home from school or adults from work. Shows are geared to entice kids at a young age and the commercials for sugared cereal and happy meals set the hook. People make and eat dinner, get dressed and undressed, sleep, make love, do housework and more all in front of the tube. People plan their social life so they won't miss "their show". You see pictures all the time of primitive dwellings without running water, but with a flat screen TV on the wall. There are billions of addicts around the world, but no one seems to be paying any attention*. Like with other drugs, addiction is a symptom or a result of something else.

I do consider it drug like, but I wouldn't call it a drug. For one, something that one person watches, may bore to sleep, or piss off someone else. Most drugs, target the same chemicals, time and time again. Yes, there are idiots who will pay a cable bill and electric bill first, so they can keep watching it, but there are also idiots who do that with beer, hookers, a hobby, etc. Maybe because I have seen some of life with and without tv's, I see things differently.
We don't tax it the way we do legal drugs. We do have lawsuits about censoring it (both audience and what is said), and I would think that would have to be addressed to call it a drug.

JaneV2.0
10-27-12, 12:03pm
I think the drug analogy comes with our Puritan heritage. Anything and everything that brings people pleasure is "of the devil" and no different from laudanum. All people are inherently sinful and must be watched for signs of softness or indolence. Work is the solution and the only way to salvation.

I've lived with and without TV. I like with better.