PDA

View Full Version : pizza stone recommendations

babr
2-8-11, 4:59pm
the pizza stone i use to bake dh's bread; well i dropped the sucker:(

read where someone just went to home depot and got a 12' unglazed tile and it worked fine

any thoughts?

Gina
2-8-11, 5:55pm
Sorry to hear about your pizza stone.

Years ago before there were 'official' pizza stones, people used to buy non-glazed, high-fired 6" tiles to use in their ovens. The problem with these was that they didn't stay together that well when putting in and taking out the pizza.

I've also heard about using larger 12" tiles for pizza stones. Haven't tired it myself however, though I do have some in the yard that should work. I've been wanting to try one in the bbq. There are different grades of tiles however. Some of the saltillo types are porous and not very strong, but others seem to have been higher fired and are more durable.

Rosemary
2-8-11, 6:55pm
If you buy tiles, make sure they are free of lead.

babr
2-9-11, 9:21am
thanks for the info. sure appreciate your responses

Rosemary
2-9-11, 9:24am
The baking stone that I have is from Pampered Chef and is rectangular. I actually leave it in the oven all the time because our (gas) oven is very non-uniform and it helps to regulate baking across the oven. This also greatly reduces the risk of breaking it.

beckyliz
2-9-11, 11:30am
Like Rosemary, I have a Pampered Chef one and leave it in the oven all the time. It's a large round one tho.

Gina
2-9-11, 6:42pm
I don't know the brand of mine - it was a yard sale purchase. I leave it on the oven floor permanently. Mine is a thick, round one. My oven is small, so the stone on the very bottom allows me to use it like an extra rack. It's been in there several years without breaking.

bae
2-9-11, 7:18pm
For baking inside in the oven, instead of a stone, I've been using large Corningware casserole dishes the past year. I preheat them, and for some portion of the baking time, put the glass lid on, which seems to produce a mini-steam-oven, yielding really nice crust.

For outside, I just bake directly on this:

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/_8bdYFKk3OW4/TDkI5SsLegI/AAAAAAAABKg/F10TBzfH-Ks/s640/img_0330.jpg

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/_8bdYFKk3OW4/TDkI8O4_eWI/AAAAAAAABKo/n6vsIZn2mt8/s640/img_0332.jpg

puglogic
2-9-11, 7:59pm
Mine was a gift from a very thoughtful family member ten or more years ago. They bought it at Williams Sonoma for about $40.00 - it's 14" x 16" x 3/4" thick and if I were to break it I would cry like a baby....I love that darned thing. There are plenty out there so you shouldn't have any trouble! Good luck.