PDA

View Full Version : Find an exrta $100 This Month

CreekyAttic
1-1-11, 9:14am
This used to be my favorite thread a while back. It always made me more aware of the little bits of extra cash that does come into my life and how it can add up.

The morning is young but already I made an Etsy sale (Ok, only $4 but a sale) and found 16 cents in the guest room (yes, left by guests but its mine now. A tip)

Its will be a great year of cash pouring into my life!!:laff:

Jilly
1-1-11, 1:26pm
Great idea. I am wondering what your eventual plans for this money might be.

redfox
1-2-11, 12:11am
Thanks...

Rosemary
1-2-11, 8:24am
I went through our bookshelves to make space for new books we received as gifts this year and listed some books on Amazon. 2 sold within hours.

Jinger
1-2-11, 10:08am
Looking for any and all extra money....I'll keep it in a special place and add it up at month's end. Thanks for the idea!

http://iliketomakethings.blogspot.com

Gina
1-2-11, 1:19pm
As I've been downsizing/decluttering the house, I keep finding coins and putting them in one place.. A few pennies here, a handful from that old purse, 3 quarters there... It's adding up.

It will be my tip for doing the work. ;)

early morning
1-2-11, 7:59pm
Oh, fun! I found $10 in a pocket, and 3 pennies in a vase (who knows?). I also ended the year with some extra - a modest bonus and a $50 reward check from my Amazon Visa. I'm counting the Visa check for January, because I've not actually opened the envelope yet (I get to make up my own rules, right? ;)

kaitlyn
1-4-11, 8:30pm
We cancelled satellite tv last month so I'm expecting a $65 refund check. And this month will be our first month not paying it, so I think that should count too as another $85. Now to watch the mailbox for that check :)

puglogic
1-4-11, 11:25pm
Oooh, this is a good reminder! A friend moved away and gave away boxes and boxes of her books, some of them nearly new and very saleable. I wonder if I could spend a few evenings turning them into $100.00 this month?
:cool:

kib
1-4-11, 11:35pm
I got an email from Amazon offering to buy back books (that 3rd party sellers are looking for), they'll pay the shipping, but the buyback rates are an embarrassment. Is it easy to become a direct seller of used books on amazon?

ljevtich
1-5-11, 3:40am
We bought a new (to us) truck which came with an external diesel tank that was not installed. So we sold the external tank today for $250. Of course we are going to buy a different external diesel tank, but at least it will seem cheaper than it was.

Bastelmutti
1-5-11, 12:20pm
Cashed in points on my back account reward program, so expecting a $25 cash card in the mail - that will pay for a new toaster. $75 to go. DH wants to clean out the bookshelves, so maybe we can make the $75 that way. I might try Half.com.

debi
1-5-11, 2:17pm
Currently I have 15 items of clothing in one consignment shop for the month. I plan on taking more to another shop (this one you can either take store credit, cash or consign the items) - I will take cash from this one. I have boxes of hand-me-ups from younger sister, with price tags still on a lot of items. My sister has mainly all designer clothing items. What doesn't sell -- I'll have a garage/yard sale this spring and summer. Mind you this is just clothes only -- 8 large boxes filled to the brim. I also have toys and other items from her and some duplicate items that I have. I hope to hear cha-ching!!!

madgeylou
1-5-11, 4:15pm
I got an email from Amazon offering to buy back books (that 3rd party sellers are looking for), they'll pay the shipping, but the buyback rates are an embarrassment. Is it easy to become a direct seller of used books on amazon?

yep, it's super easy! you can sell DVDs and CDs and other stuff, too. you don't have to take any pictures, just the ISBN number. when you make a sale, you get an email with shipping details. i think they pay you out (to a linked bank account) every 2 weeks. here's a link to check it out:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/seller-account/mm-product-page.html?topic=200274780

ljevtich
1-5-11, 5:15pm
Well, it has gotten harder - you not only have to pay them a .99 fee, then also a percentage of the book sold. That is why you no longer see one cent books anymore. People can not sell a book for 1 cent - they would lose money on the deal. (I mean you do see the one cent books, but then there is the $3.99 shipping so it is really $4 for a book.)

Bastelmutti
1-5-11, 7:38pm
Is Half.com any better than Amazon for selling books, or about the same?

CreekyAttic
1-5-11, 7:43pm
Checked a lottery ticket that came in a Christmas card. Whoo hoo $10.00 towards the extra $100 this month, found a quarter and a dime on the ground.

I'd really like to do some more Kiva loans with the extra cash.

Kib:I am also wondering why one of my new kittens has shown up playing the accordian as your avatar? Have they been playing on the computer again.

early morning
1-5-11, 8:59pm
exceedingly easy to sell books on Amazon - I've cleared out my bookshelves and brought in several hundred dollars that way. Set up a seller account, list items by ISBN, pack and mail when they sell. Amazon explains things pretty clearly, I think.

I'm up to $90 for the month - DH just paid me back $30 that I wasn't expecting to see!

lhamo
1-5-11, 10:50pm
I have a few miscellaneous things laying around the house that I might try to resell -- that might bring in a bit.

I kind of have a score to report, though. I had submitted a claim last year for a vaccination for my daughter. They denied it, saying it was optional, but really it was on the Delaware schedule and should have been reimbursed. I finally got around to filing a request for review, and they just refunded me $75.56! I almost didn't submit the review request, so I think I can consider this "found money".

lhamo

Kat
1-7-11, 10:01am
Last week I received two refund checks in the mail--one for $39 and one for $3.90. Then my sister said she sent me a check for $60 to reimburse me for a joint gift we bought for my dad. I had forgotten about the check and wasn't expecting the refunds, so I am counting them as "found money." :-)

dado potato
1-7-11, 10:38am
Turn snowflakes into cash with a snowblower or shovel!

early morning
1-7-11, 8:28pm
Mom gave me $20 for gas (for all the running around we all do for her), which puts me at $110 for the month.

Fawn
1-8-11, 7:56am
I like the idea of putting it in cash in a jar or container or something. If I put it in my wallet, I spend it and then I don't remember where/when it came.

sylvia
1-10-11, 11:16am
I have a jar where every week I put change from everywhere in it. Many times I deposit it-it's aroiund 35 bucks in change! Yes, furniture is notorious for change and the car seats too.Selling stuff on craigslist and ebay-that helps too. Plus changing our daily spending habits. For me it's cooking from sctrach and taking advantage of sale adds. I hope to add using coupons more aggressively!

Bronxboy
1-10-11, 11:13pm
I've been finding at least $150 a month since summer by starting a carpool to work.

early morning
2-10-11, 12:48pm
So far for February: I just got a check for $37 for mileage for a meeting from last month. Since it cost me about $7 in gas, the other $30 is going towards February's $100 I'm trying to find. My mother gave me another $20 for running her errands - so that's $50 for Feb already!

Joyous_5
2-24-11, 8:00pm
What a fun challenge! I find that making a game out of frugality (or anything else that isn't quite second nature) is so helpful. So far I've sold two books on Amazon though I'm confused as to how much I actually made on the sales. I've also posted a dining room table/chair set on craigslist--this was a family hand-me-down but if it sells I will definitely surpass that $100 mark! I'm making a list of other things that I've been meaning to sell via Ebay or craigslist.

Thanks for starting the thread.

Gingerella72
2-28-11, 11:26am
Looking for any and all extra money....I'll keep it in a special place and add it up at month's end. Thanks for the idea!

http://iliketomakethings.blogspot.com

Off topic, but awesome blog! I need all the inspiration I can get as I teach myself how to knit, sew, and be crafty in other areas. I'm following you now (I'm Betsy). :)

early morning
2-28-11, 7:13pm
Got a reimbursement check from work for some books I bought. Not actually "found" money - but I'd forgotten about it, so I'm counting it, lol. Plus sold a book on Amazon, which puts me over for the month. On to March....

Madsen
3-15-11, 7:46am
... and 3 pennies in a vase (who knows?).

I think this is for tulips --- something about the copper or zinc or something in the pennies helps the cut tulips last longer in the water.

early morning
3-15-11, 10:40pm
Interesting, Madsen - hadn't heard that! This month has been slim pickings so far! I've found 25 cents on the ground, and Mom gave me a $20 for gas for a bunch of running around I did for her.

iris lily
3-16-11, 9:55am
Today I have an extra $6 as my first Ebay sale went down. Surprisingly, this book sold to someone outside of my neighborhood. I had promoted it only within my neighborhood and I didn't put up a photo on Ebay. The buyer must have been looking for it by title.

I was going to put up my mom's plastic sailor pin from WWI and probably still will, but I don't think it's worth as much as I originally thought it was. It's cute and a sentimental piece but I don't wear pins.