PDA

View Full Version : What a beautiful early morning sky!

CathyA
10-25-12, 4:42pm
I sometimes get up early (5-6a.m.) This morning I noticed the sky was very clear and filled with stars. I went outside and within just a couple minutes, I saw 4 shooting stars! I also saw 2 satellites, but I'd rather see shooting stars! There were also 2 planets. I'm thinking they were Venus and Jupiter. Its really neat to look through my binoculars and be able to see another planets moons. Gosh, I love the night sky.

Rosemary
10-25-12, 5:38pm
Sounds beautiful! I love the clear winter skies, but it's usually so cold here in MN that I don't appreciate them as much as I might otherwise! :)

CathyA
10-25-12, 8:05pm
I know what you mean. Its hard to stand outside looking up when its so darned cold! Do you ever get to see the Northern Lights up there? We get to see them here in Indiana every once in awhile.
Back when I had plans of building onto our house, I thought it would be so cool to have something on top of the house.....sort of like the look-outs the houses on the east coast had for the sailors' wives to look out for them over the sea. I would like to be up higher to watch the night sky. I don't like sitting in the middle of the yard in the dark. I'm always afraid something will come up and bite me. hahaha

Tussiemussies
10-25-12, 9:38pm
Sounds like a wonderful experience, something I also would really like to see! :)

Spartana
10-25-12, 11:04pm
I love cold, clear winter skies - especially up in the mountains when it just seems filled completely with stars. I think there is a meteor shower this weekend here in SoCal too. Those are always great when you can get out of the city. OOps that was last week. Missed it.

Rosemary
10-25-12, 11:11pm
This will be my 9th winter here but I have yet to see the northern lights. I would love to, but as you know it is quite unusual this far south - I'm surprised you see them in IN!

I do a lot more stargazing in the summer when we're camping and away from the cities. Last night we had a power outage and I was thinking it would be great for stargazing - if it hadn't actually been raining for the first time in 4 months!

Spartana
10-25-12, 11:29pm
I thought it would be so cool to have something on top of the house.....sort of like the look-outs the houses on the east coast had for the sailors' wives to look out for them over the sea.

A Widows Walk! Or for us sea going girls I guess it would be a widowers walk :-)!

When I lived in Alaska (Cordova while in the service and Anchorage as a civilian) I got to see the northern lights quit often. They are amazing. Nothing like standing outside in minus 30 below weather on a clear night and watching them. especially if you got to do it from a ship in the middle of an ice choked (and calm) arctic ocean!

goldensmom
10-26-12, 6:48am
I think I saw that same sky on the 25th, CathyA. I walk for a hour+ every morning usually starting at 7AM and watch the sun come up and on a clear morning the sky is awesome. Brisk temperatures, a little frost and a clear sky is a spiritual experience for me.

CathyA
10-26-12, 9:52am
Yes Spartana.......a widows walk. All that would come to mind is a widow's peak. haha
Rosemary......keep looking. Sometimes they're hard to see. One night, a long time ago, I saw them in red......but DH couldn't see them. Sometimes they are shimmering, sometimes jetting up into the sky. They can be so varied. Sometimes you're not even sure of what you're seeing.
One night DS and I just had to pull off the rode (out in the country) and just gaze at them. They're pretty unbelievable.
goldensmom........I know what you mean. the universe is something else!

Gregg
10-27-12, 11:12am
We lived for years right at 8000 feet in the rockies and 150 miles from the nearest town of more than a few thousand people so had a view of the stars that blew my mind. To get around the cold we put a hot tub on the deck. Talk about having your cake and eating it, too! Can't say I miss all that snow, but I do miss those stars.

Float On
10-27-12, 11:28am
I loved watching the night sky when I lived in NM, and the summer I helped with backpacking trips in CO, and the night sky at home on the farm is amazing (with the coyotes providing the soundtrack).
I've got a couple friends in AK who post photos on FB of the Northern Lights and I'd love to experience seeing those sometime.