PDA

View Full Version : Superior Feeling

ctg492
10-27-12, 6:10pm
I have driven my car about 6 times in the last 4 weeks. Twice was doing a favor for someone who needed a ride. It has been all biking, rain, wind and lovely weather. I ride 22 miles round trip to the market and every other place I have been. I actually feel superior to the people packing the cars with groceries, though they probably think I am crazy;)
I understand not everyone can or has the time to do this, but many could if they tried to at least replace some of the miles on the car with a bike. They could feel superior too if they did.

catherine
10-27-12, 6:33pm
If I were to get a bike, and I'm 60, and it's been probably 40 years since I was on a bike, how would you recommend I go about getting one? I know I'm not "too old"--I remember going to the Netherlands, and there were all ages of people with groceries in their little bike baskets pedaling home--I'm just a little rusty and want to know how to regain confidence.

awakenedsoul
10-27-12, 7:19pm
That's great CTG492! I love biking. I need to take my bike in and have my brakes fixed tomorrow. I do many of my errands by bicycle. I drive once a week, and it feels great!

catherine,
I bought my bike for $70.00 at Walmart. I've had it for a few years, and I love it! I rode a bike when I was in the Netherlands, too. It's common in Europe for people of all ages to use them to get around town. My boyfriend in Vienna always came to visit me by bicycle. Since you rode as a child, it should come back quickly. It's so much fun!

Packy
10-27-12, 8:01pm
Biking is fun, and a good way to get around. I ride WITH the traffic flow, not against it. Biking on the sidewalks is not a good idea, for the most part-it can hazardous.

SimplyL
10-27-12, 8:29pm
Biking is fun and this is great. I also started biking again at my old(er) age.. a little wobbly at first, however, I think it's true that 'it's just like getting back on the bike'. Thought I'd forget how to ride one but didn't.

Really enjoy those pretty days when I'm walking or biking on errands. We had a day like that, earlier in the week, husband and I walked to lunch. I wonder sometimes what folks in a car think when they see me biking or walking? (well, those that don't usually bike or walk on errands, because when *I see someone bike or walking, I think man, wish I was on mine vs being in the car!) .. yet wonder if they think, 'Oh, that person must not own a car or their car is broke down' instead of thinking that I'd actually choose to not drive my perfectly fine car that's in my driveway. :)

catherine, my bike is a cruiser. I like that for the wider seat, handlebars. Also there's a rack which is helpful when I'm running errands.

bunnys
10-27-12, 8:56pm
I should probably do this go at least do my grocery shopping as I could take back roads up to the grocery store a mile away from my house. The route is flat, too. All I'd need to do is get a basket. The store is more expensive but it would be worth it.

BayouGirl
10-28-12, 4:16am
Biking is a great activity. I have been wanting to buy a bike and start biking some. I would love to just go exploring the area here taking pictures and I definitely could use the exercise.

artist
10-28-12, 7:54am
Our local bike shop has rentals and group rides. They fit you to a bike that is the right size for you and you get a quick lesson on proper starting and stopping and general road rules etc... I think that would be a good place to start. See if your local independant bicycle dealer has something like this in your area.

ctg492
10-28-12, 5:23pm
Catherine, never too old! I would stop by a local bike store. Explain how far, what type riding you want to do. They will set you up wth many ideas.

ctg492
10-28-12, 5:26pm
Packy, most cities (unknown to casual bikers) sidewalk riding is against the law. Most bike/car accidents occur from bikes being hit by cars backing out or turning into a drive crossing a side walk.

ctg492
10-28-12, 5:28pm
I rode this am at 7, the wind was just starting at 16mph nnw, 36 degrees. It was a truely wonderful ride, no one was out! Ride home was easy with wind at my back. Now in a few days when big storm hits, who knows how far I will go.

ctg492
10-28-12, 5:33pm
SimplyL, I walked for years for fun. Yet carrying a purse and non exercise clothes would make me feel like I "had" to walk not that I was doing it for fun, silly I know. I would tell my son a few years ago when he complained about having to ride a bike as he had no car and thought what would people think ?, IF he wore exercise clothes and told everyone he loved riding they would think he was doing it for health not because he had no money to fix the car.

treehugger
10-29-12, 11:51am
In our house, we call this "having the smug." We say this self-deprecatingly, and about others, too. DH and I have the smug about our small cars, about not having cable, about our tiny curb-side trash can that we hardly ever even fill. You get the picture. It's fun to notice all the things in our own lives that we have the smug about.

Congrats on all the biking! That's a great thing to have the smug about! :D I don't have the biking thing down, but I did take public transit (train and bus) to a very modern play yesterday (An Iliad, at Berkeley Rep), so I have double the amount of smug. ;)

Kara

pammy
10-29-12, 1:17pm
Makes me want to keep my eyes open for a deal on a bike. :)

ctg492
11-2-12, 4:02pm
Today again cold windy and I rode into a rain shower. I was riding the back gravel roads, I was passed by one truck. 20 miles of wonderful riding. The rain stopped, but I just thought how this is so doable if many just tried.

razz
11-2-12, 4:40pm
Catherine, never too old! I would stop by a local bike store. Explain how far, what type riding you want to do. They will set you up wth many ideas.

I went to our local bike store and was blown away by the prices being charged so be aware that not all bike shops are the same.

I got a used bike to get up to speed and will buy a better bike later when I know how much I will actually use it. I love the idea of a bike rental spot but I was so shaky at first that even a rental would have been too much. Right now I want to ride the hiking trails with friends. We'll see how this works out for me so share your experience please.

ctg492
11-2-12, 5:04pm
http://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php is a great site for lot of info.
I learned the hard way you get what you pay for with bikes. WM bikes are not the same quality and have bad reputations. They are not the same Schwinn company as years ago sadly. My tip is figure where/how and how far you want to ride, this will help with the style/price bike.

Spartana
11-3-12, 1:59pm
In our house, we call this "having the smug." Kara

Ha Ha!! maybe you can change that to "Hugging the Smug" as a way of saying that you are embracing that feeling of doing something good (and thus feeling superior!!).

I bike all the time for recreation (paved off road and mountain biking trails for the most part) but ride my bike around town almost exclusively now that I live somewhere where it's not a death-defying act everytime.

I also have a bike trailer that I used for many years to tote my large dog in and a front basket for my smaller dog. I've gone thru 2 bike trailers hauling them around! Would love to do the self-contained bike travel someday like Gary (AKA Simply Giib) does - as well as other members here.

awakenedsoul
11-4-12, 12:01am
That's a great image. I've thought about buying one of those bike trailers they have at Costco. I ride my bike with my dog running alongside me on the Walkydog. It's like a bar that connects to the bike so that I can keep both hands on the handlebars. I do them one at at a time. They love it!

try2bfrugal
11-4-12, 1:12am
I think we are going to get a bike trailer for our dog. We almost have a door to door bike trail from our house to the dog park so why not? Our dog is too little to run along side the bikes and it is too far to walk, so right now we are all driving there. But bike riding would be good exercise for us and cut down our gas mileage since we go there so often. I am not sure what our dog would think of riding in a trailer. He loves riding in the car and going places. When we are at home he sneaks in the back seat of the car whenever the door is open and refuses to leave until we carry him out. So maybe that is a good sign that he would like a trailer as well, especially if he associated it with the park.

pubtran
11-10-12, 10:43pm
If I were to get a bike, and I'm 60, and it's been probably 40 years since I was on a bike, how would you recommend I go about getting one? I know I'm not "too old"--I remember going to the Netherlands, and there were all ages of people with groceries in their little bike baskets pedaling home--I'm just a little rusty and want to know how to regain confidence.
I'm 66 and bike all over the city. Like you, I had gone a long time without biking and then restarted about 20 years ago ane was amazed at how quickly it came back to me. I started our on local streets without much traffic and gradually went further and now bike in all kinds of traffic. Do you have a friend of family member who can recommend a good bike shop in your area that can help you pick out a bike? They can probably also recommend bike clubs or organizations that might give lessons as to how to get restarted. Good Luck.

ctg492
11-16-12, 5:45am
I am still remaining car lite. I have almost proven to myself it is totally possible. This is my personal goal at the moment and hopefully through winter. I will stop by this post and update how I am doing, if not for others to keep myself on track. I am planning my personal goals for 2013. I will include this too.

shadowmoss
11-16-12, 8:38am
If you are unsure about getting on two wheels, get a 3 wheel bike (trike). Not all of them are the classic clunky looking Schwin style. However, if utility is what you are after even that adult trike would work.

Spartana
11-16-12, 12:53pm
That's a great image. I've thought about buying one of those bike trailers they have at Costco. I ride my bike with my dog running alongside me on the Walkydog. It's like a bar that connects to the bike so that I can keep both hands on the handlebars. I do them one at at a time. They love it!

I got my bike trailer from Costco and it was well worth it. I also used it as a buggy to push my bigger dog, who had trouble walking, around in for walks. So with 2 dogs (for a time 3 dogs) I was able to push him in the buggy while walking the other dogs. So he was able to go on long, fast walks with "the pack" instead of being left behind. We were a sight to behold though. Often felt that at Christmas I should decorate the trailer as a sled, the big dog as Santa, and the 2 little dogs as reindeers pulling the sled :-)!

Try2bfrugal - you should try the bike trailer as they do work good. Expensive to buy though so maybe you can borrow one from someone to try it out before buying. Also check out a used sports equiptment store like "Play It Again" sports shop as they always have some used ones that are greatly discounted. Craigslist as well since most people buy them for their kids and the kids outgrow them pretty fast.

Rogar
11-17-12, 9:14am
I've done commuting, errands and recreational riding off and on for a very long time. The feeling of superiority is an interesting observation. Sometimes I'll look around and sort of feel sorry for all those people stuck and their cars when they could be getting a little excersize and enjoying the fresh air. It's almost a mystery to me why there are not more bike commuters and errand runners.

I second the recommendation for getting a few expert opinions from bike shops. IMHO, you are in the $300 to $500 price range to get something that is dependable and will last. Those cute balloon tire cruisers are probably fun for short neighborhood runs, but having multiple gears will be much easier on the knees and allow someone just starting out to gradually work up their endurance and tackle a few hills.

I am about your age and plan to bike for many more years. My Dad bought his first bike since being a kid when he was in his early 70's, biked for several years, and worked up to some fairly long distance rides.

awakenedsoul
11-18-12, 1:33pm
A woman in my knitting group, (she used to be my knitting teacher,) told me, "You think you're saving money by riding that bicycle, but if you get hit by a car and disabled, you won't be saving money." She is very negative and controlling. She used to work for the county and is on "medical leave." She has fibromyalgia and doesn't exercise.

I still zip to the library by bicycle where we have our knitting group. It's an easy trip, and I love being out in the sunshine and fresh air. That woman asked me last time I saw her, "Did you ride your bike again?" I just smiled and said "Yes." It saves me so much gas.

Spartana,
I used to walk three large dogs, too. I felt badly when the older ones could no longer walk. I would just take them down to the end of the block and then back home. I love the idea of using the bike trailer! I've seen people here with their kids in them. (On the bike paths.) It looks really fun! There used to be a homeless guy who had this beautiful dog in a brand new bike trailer. It was quite a sight! Only in LA...

Tammy
11-18-12, 2:15pm
I spent about 400 for my origen8. One gear. Foldable. Lightweight and small. I love it more than any bike I've had. I'm 51, and didn't ride much at all from age 20 until just 2 years ago.

Phoenix is pretty flat, and most of my tidings is within 10 miles of downtown. one gear is all i need. This bike may not be so good in hills.