PDA

View Full Version : Wanting to learn how to sew~any tips?

oceanfamily
10-27-12, 8:12pm
I am very much a beginner...I haven't really sewn since I was at my grandmothers knee many years ago. I want to start off making an apron, do you think that would be a good start? I so much want to do this:)

danna
10-27-12, 8:33pm
An apron, pillowcase, pillowcover, tablecloths, napkins, tea towels would all be a good start. Also, doing something like taking an old cotton tablecloth and making it into tea towels that sort of thing..
I have always found if I am doing something I know I am going to use I learn better, no matter what it is.
Most libraries would carry a learning to sew book and you can find instructions for just about anything on the internet
Hope that helps, come back and ask once you are working on something if you need help.
p.s. Mending is a great way to get use to you machine...hehe but I know that is never any fun.

redfox
10-27-12, 8:39pm
Wrap skirts are fun too. Also loose fitting pants with elastic waist. Depending upon your learning style, I highly recommend a class to start off with, soy can have a consultant on hand. If you get frustrated trying it on your own, it may deter you. Have fun! I used to make all my own clothing, including detailed tailoring, and just loved it.

Jilly
10-27-12, 8:44pm
I think that unless you wanted to start by making a formal gown, anything that you would like to have would be a good first effort.

An apron would be fine. Choose a simple pattern, no fancy piecing and use cotton fabric. Launder it first, then dry and iron. If you hate ironing, you can choose a cotton/polyester blend, but it is important to wash the fabric to get rid of the sizing (a finishing substance put on fabric) and if it is going to go all wonky, which most fabric does at least a little bit, you want that out of the way before you make something with it.

If you have a sewing machine it is much quicker, but an apron can be sewn by hand.

Let us know how it goes. Pictures!

Kat
10-27-12, 9:16pm
Hi oceanfamily, and welcome! I am learning how to sew, too! I have found youtube and other step-by-step tutorials on the web really helpful. I think an apron would be a great first project! Google "apron tutorial" and see what you get! You might want to try a half-apron first, and one without too many ruffles or pockets. Skirts are fairly easy, too. You could do a wrap skirt like redfox mentioned or try an elastic waist.

My best advice is to jump in and have fun with it! So far, I have made a skirt, a quilt, and a trick-or-treat bag for my daughter, and all of them contain mistakes! But that is how you learn! :-)

Good luck! Let us know how your project goes!

Float On
10-27-12, 9:59pm
Do you have a vo-tech school in your area (high school) a lot of them offer adult evening classes and ours offers sewing 1, sewing 2, sewing 3, quilting, photography, computers, fly fishing, jewelry making, woodworking etc (based on whatever teachers are available).
I already knew how to sew (thanks to mom and 4-H) but had a friend talk me into taking the sewing 1 class with her for something to do once a week for 12 weeks. It was fun! And I learned a thing or two.

fidgiegirl
10-27-12, 10:30pm
Ooh guys you are all making me want to fire up my machine!

I second the recommendation about YouTube. I have learned many new techniques this way.

Also, the crafty blog world is just busting at the seams (LOL) with sewing tutorials. I like to search Pinterest for ideas, too. I happen to be a member, but you wouldn't have to be - could just do a search on the site.

And like Jilly said: Pics!!!

We do have an ongoing crafty thread (http://www.simplelivingforum.net/showthread.php?4495-The-Crafty-Thread!&highlight=crafty) that kind of ebbs and flows, if you ever want to add to it - hopefully soon! :)

ETA: Danna's idea of mending as a way to practice using the machine is great. For example, I have an old jacket of my hubby's that he wants patched. Basically, I can't make it any worse, even if I don't do that good a job of making it better. Anything I do will be fine. So it's very low stakes, but for a real and useful purpose (versus just stitching on scraps or something like that).

Tussiemussies
10-28-12, 12:57am
Agree with other poster to take a class so you can learn the basics correctly. Being able to understand the information sheet that came with it was at first a little daunting for me.

I am envious of the poster who used to make all of their clothes. I haven't gotten there yet. But I have made a few simple quilts. Two of them just have to be finished off.

Good luck with you new hobby! Christine

BayouGirl
10-28-12, 4:09am
I started off with what I call linear sewing which is basically projects such as baby blankets, curtain and quilts which are mostly straight line sewing. This helped me get a feel for sewing and I was able to achieve some speed and control as opposed to a difficult piece with lots of small seams to sew. All that starting and stopping can be a pain. Linear sewing is simple enough where you gain confidence and easy enough to rip apart if you mess up.

I have also made dresses, shorts and other things such as an awesome custom speargun case for my ex husband that was sand proof and virtually waterproof too. He loved it and my bro in law loved it so much, he got me to make him one too! Just to be funny, I used fabric markers and wrote on my ex hubby's case "Made for J, but his wife". We have been divorced over a decade but he still loves and uses that case and doesn't care if his girlfriend doesn't like it.

I kinda hate patterns and tend to just wing it and freelance and it usually comes out great. If I make a mistake, i can usually work with it and make it even better than if I had not made the mistake.

I'm not sure why but i have always sewn by sitting on the floor. i will sit cross legged (Indian style?) with the sewing machine pedal under my right knee. I simply push the pedal with my knee. For some reason, I am more comfortable that way.

I also have a "fabric museum" which is simply my hoard of fabric that I have come across at a great price (like a dollar a yard) and but it even though I have no project in mind for it. It is great to have extra fabric on hand for spontaneous projects. I also buy remnants which are marked down and have also bought flat sheets and used them for projects as well.

One simple project that I did, without a patter was to make stocking for our entire family. It took just a small bit of fabric ( a decorative print plus a solid color for lining and for the fold down part of the stocking where the name goes). I pick a different fabric for each family member, based on their preferences (kitties in Santa hats for me, fish for my hubby) and I used a gold glitter fabric marker to put the names on them.

Everyone loved them and soon I was asked by almost everyone who saw them to make some for them too. They make great, inexpensive Christmas presents that will be cherished and used for years to come. If you are afraid of making a mistake with the glitter paint then simply do the names on the fabric BEFORE you sew that part on the stocking so you won't have to rip it apart if you do make a mistake. Also, you should check after holidays for holiday fabric that is marked down (usually half off or more!). and store it away till next year for future projects.

Well good luck with your project, make sure you have a seam ripper handy and keep us posted on your latest creations!

Jilly
10-28-12, 9:22am
One of my friends has wanted to sew for a long time and is taking lessons at her community center. They are free and it has been very helpful to her, as the sewing skills of the other participants ranges from novices like her to a woman who has been sewing for decades. She began going there just before the holidays last year and the group made pillows to swap.

Like someone mentioned, straight sewing. She has also made lots of tote bags and this season they are making simple dolls for their swap. She is also making fairly complicated doll clothes to sell, although she mentioned last week that lately she enjoys cutting the pattern pieces more than the actual sewing and has more than fifteen outfits ready to sew.

So much good advice here.

Mrs-M
10-28-12, 1:42pm
Oh, so many super-great ideas here, Oceanfamily! Go for it! :)

Originally posted by Redfox.
Also loose fitting pants with elastic waist.I LOVE elastic-waisted pants/slacks!!! But gee-whiz, was I ever teased and ribbed over them! There are still people who think elastic-waisted pants/slacks are old-fashioned, for old women (only). Phfff! It's about comfort, not runway classicism.

ctg492
10-28-12, 5:21pm
Many good tips here so far. I jumped into sewing a few years ago, thinking I was going to be making beautiful designer blouses,jeans, jackets.......you name it. PS I have not reached seamstress level yet ;)
My best tip is a good seam ripper, Measure and Measure again before cutting, easy patterns and lots of practice, study your clothing you have now to see how it is constructed. Above all do not be to hard on yourself. Only you will see the flaws, others won't. Check out youtube for help on sewing.
My lastest projects have been fleece socks/mittens. I tore apart an old pair of Landsend Fleece socks and made a pattern, same with mittens. I like this better then packaged patterns. I have a sleevless top tore apart now and will be making several for next summer, during the long winter.

JaneV2.0
10-28-12, 5:34pm
If I were going to make clothes for myself, I would get--or better yet make--a dress form. Making patterns from well-fitting garments in your closet is another good method for ending up with clothes that actually work on your body. Commercial patterns are notorious for bad fit--no matter what the measurements on the envelope say, they're wrong.

Float On
10-28-12, 5:39pm
One thing I learned in sewing class is that most patterns are made in China now....and there can be mistakes. Our sewing teacher had several patterns with her that did have misprints.

oceanfamily
10-28-12, 10:13pm
Wow~How wonderful are all your ideas! I knew I could count on some help from you lovely people:) I'm hoping to get into a project soon...I'm soooo intimidated by my sewing machine...I swear it when I get it out; it starts to make a mischievious laugh....

Jilly
10-28-12, 11:07pm
It is probably excited and laughing because it finally gets to spend time with you.