PDA

View Full Version : Centering Prayer

Kestrel
10-27-12, 10:41pm
DH and I just this week started centering prayer. We attended a group at an Episcopal church on Thursday morning and another group at a Catholic church yesterday morning. We thoroughly enjoyed* each of them, and will continue both of them. (We're UUs, btw)

Anyone here have any experience with this practice? I'm thinking of buying something by Thomas Keating -- any suggestions?

We regularly attend/lead a weekly (evening) meditation group at our church, but it's pretty varied as we use different types as suggested by members of the group. So no consistency, really. And not really satisfying, but better than nothing.

* "enjoyed" isn't quite the right word.

Tussiemussies
10-28-12, 2:04am
Hi Kestral, Glad that it was a good experience for you on whatever level you experienced it, since you said that pleasurable isn't really the way to describe it. I think I can relate to what you mean.

For me I don't really like it too much to pray in front of other people or meditate together since it feels so intimate to me that it is hard to share that with anyone. I don't really like it when my husband is around too although we have taken to reading some spiritual texts together at night.

I am glad for you that you found something fulfilling for you. Christine

artist
10-28-12, 8:09am
Try going to www.contempletiveoutreach.org (http://www.contempletiveoutreach.org) for resources. Silence and Solitute are central to my Christian faith, but I don't use resources other than my Bible so I don't know the resources here personally.

Kestrel
10-28-12, 9:37am
Artist: thanks for the link, but it didn't work ... it's contemplativeoutreach.org ... I will explore there more ...

Sad Eyed Lady
10-28-12, 11:13am
DH and I just this week started centering prayer. We attended a group at an Episcopal church on Thursday morning and another group at a Catholic church yesterday morning. We thoroughly enjoyed* each of them, and will continue both of them. (We're UUs, btw)

Anyone here have any experience with this practice? I'm thinking of buying something by Thomas Keating -- any suggestions?

We regularly attend/lead a weekly (evening) meditation group at our church, but it's pretty varied as we use different types as suggested by members of the group. So no consistency, really. And not really satisfying, but better than nothing.

* "enjoyed" isn't quite the right word.
Could you explain the concept of centering prayer a bit? I know I could probably look it up, but with a lousy headache I am feeling lazy this morning! Plus, I want to hear it in your words.