PDA

View Full Version : Christmas Music

domestic goddess
10-30-12, 10:55am
Although it is earlier than usual, I think, I am posting my annual query for Christmas Music. It just isn't possible to keep up with all the Christmas music that is released each year, so I am soliciting opinions from y'all. I don't want to miss the good stuff while trolling through all the dross, and there is plenty of that. Since many of my CD's got lost in the move to dd's house, I am starting pretty much from scratch this year to rebuild my collection. I am particularly interested in music that is a little off the beaten path, and music from classical composers (how much "Frosty the Snowman" can one person listen to?), but I also am interested in good children's music, too.I think the little ones here don't hear enough good music, and this is the season for it! So, please post your faves here; I always pay close attention.
Also, don't hesitate to post music you like for Thanksgiving. There isn't a lot out there, but there is some, and I am interested in what others find to be lovely and meaningful. Thanks.

IshbelRobertson
10-30-12, 3:16pm
Kate Rusby has released at least two Christmas CDs that I absolutely love.
Another old favourite is Tapestry of Carols featuring the voice of Maddy Prior with the Carnival Band.

iris lily
10-30-12, 3:41pm
I guess that you are looking for entire CDs and in that, I can't help you. There are many performances on YouTube, some professional, some amateur. It is a wealth of music.

But personally, as someone who intensely dislikes much of the holiday fodder that is forced on us, one thing I look for is performances using only instruments, no voice. What is your favorite instrument? Violin? piano? Look for arrangements in those.

I lucked into two piano songbooks with fairly interesting arrangements of Christmas classics. These arrangements were made to showcase keyboards, were not made for dorky singalongs. They have interesting tempos and chords even at an intermediate level. I also bought a book of standards with the dull, plodding, versions that everyone likes to sing. ugh.

bae
10-30-12, 3:56pm
http://www.sncmusic.com/sites/sncmusic.wmg-gardens.com/files/styles/large/public/9d5448fbd12d8537dba1c0269b286274.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2kYEK-pxs_A

Gregg
10-30-12, 4:56pm
I find nothing gets a Christmas party going like spinning a copy of "The Barry Sisters Sing Traditional Jewish Songs". We're not real by the book people at my house.

"God Rest Ye' Merry Jazzmen" is good, too.

peggy
10-30-12, 6:11pm
I love the classics. Carol of the Bells is my all time favorite.

Tradd
10-30-12, 9:04pm
The Ultimate Classical Christmas

A Christmas Festival - Arthur Fiedler and the Boston Pops

fidgiegirl
10-30-12, 10:00pm
If you haven't discovered Pandora, that is fun, too. Pandora is a website where you put in the name of artist or genre and they make a "station" out of that music for you. There are ads, but it's pretty faithful to an artist's style. So if there is a certain Christmas song you love, put it into Pandora and see if you get similar ones that you like! Fun.

domestic goddess
10-31-12, 5:32pm
Thank you for the suggestions, and I look forward to more. As for me, my taste runs to traditional Christmas music, and the classics. There is much sacred music with a Christmas theme, other than the obvious "Messiah".
One of my favorite pieces of Christmas music is "Mary's Boy Child" arranged for handbells, which I have played. Otherwise, I like instrumentals and vocals sung by really wonderful performers. I used to have a tape of some Christmas music sung by Kiri Te Kanawa, that I just loved, but have lost it and want to replace it with a CD. Not interested in most country singers, or "comic" songs of the "Grandma Got Run Over by a Reindeer" variety.
Kelli, I do listen to Pandora often, and expect that they will have a category for Christmas music, as they did for Halloween music. It appears that Thanksgiving will once again be ignored, but maybe I will be wrong. I have several channels, and add more as it seems appropriate. The ads do get tiresome, and I do occasionally think of paying the small fee to avoid them, but haven't been able to bring myself to do that yet.
I guess it is time for me to start doing some ordering. I'm really in the mood for some good Christmas music now, and can't be sure I will be by mid-December, by which time I'm usually suffering "Rudolph" and "Frosty" overload.

leslieann
10-31-12, 5:35pm
I second bae's recommendation. It isn't Christmas without SNC's twelve days.

goldensmom
11-1-12, 3:50pm
The Ultimate Classical Christmas

A Christmas Festival - Arthur Fiedler and the Boston Pops

A big yes to Arthur Fiedler and the Boston Pops add Bernstein's New York Philharmonic's 'The Joy of Christmas' and John Williams Boston Pops 'Joy to the world' for classical. For other instrumental I like Canadian Brass 'Christmas'. For vocals nothing says Christmas to me like Andy Williams vinyls 'Christmas Album' and 'Merry Christmas' and Julie Andrews 'Christmas'. My current favorite is a 'Bethlehem Morning' by Sandi Patti:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KdgZIhsBr50

Greg44
11-1-12, 10:44pm
Mormon Tabernacle Choir, The Carpenters (family favorite), Josh Groban, most of the Hallmark collections, George Strait, Andre Bocelli, etc. a good variety.

Funny story --My SIL called my daughter in to have her watch this singer on TV (Andre Bocelli) he commented on how great of a singer he was, but he never opens his eyes...my DD (knowing it was Andre Bocelli) asked him if she knew who he was, he didn't. She explained it was Andre Bocelli - a BLIND singer -- now the punch line, my SIL works at the state SCHOOL of the BLIND! He will never live that down.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iuIxnlxlpu4&feature=related

Tradd
11-1-12, 11:50pm
A big yes to Arthur Fiedler and the Boston Pops add Bernstein's New York Philharmonic's 'The Joy of Christmas' and John Williams Boston Pops 'Joy to the world' for classical. For other instrumental I like Canadian Brass 'Christmas'. For vocals nothing says Christmas to me like Andy Williams vinyls 'Christmas Album' and 'Merry Christmas' and Julie Andrews 'Christmas'. My current favorite is a 'Bethlehem Morning' by Sandi Patti:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KdgZIhsBr50

Oh, I forgot all about "The Joy of Christmas." I got that last year and LOVE it. Will have to check out the John Williams one.

For classical Christmas, there's nothing like The Nutcracker. I like the version by the Orchestra of the Kirov Opera.

For instrumentals, "A Festival of Carols in Brass" by the Philadelphia Brass Ensemble. The Lumiere String Quartet (with some added instruments) has a nice "Classical Christmas." On the "Ultimate Classical Christmas" I mentioned, the rendition of "Lo, a Rose E'er Blooming" just wows me. It's actually from "A Carnegie Hall Christmas Concert" (originally a PBS special in 1992) with Frederica von Stade (Lo, a Rose E'er Blooming) and Kathleen Battle. You can watch bits on You Tube. wonderful. I'm going to get that one this year for sure.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qI7hwHaYK_c

I like the oldies but goodies I grew up with - "The Christmas Song" by Nat King Cole, "A Jolly Christmas" by Frank Sinatra, "White Christmas" by Bing Crosby (although the one I have is from a Christmas radio show, from the sounds of it).

Several years back, on the old forum, I was given the recommendation of "Gloria and Magnificat" by the Robert Shaw Chorale and Atlanta Symphony.

I'm feeling the urge for Christmas music early this year, too. Playing some right now.

Mrs-M
11-26-12, 7:45am
I'm a traditionalist, so everything classic, is me! And I do mean everything!