PDA

View Full Version : Smartphones, phablets, & other gadgets

Gardenarian
10-31-12, 3:35pm
With the release of the Ipad mini, I started thinking that maybe the time has come to give up on the computer and go with a smartphone/phablet (combination phone and tablet.) I only use my netbook at home to check my email anyhow. We pay around $100/month for landline and high speed internet/wifi, and then we all (family of three) have pay-as-you-go cell phones, which come to around $8 each per month - so a total of around $125 per month.

We don't want any TV, but definitely need internet/wifi. The new smartphones/hybrid-thingies can be used as wifi hot spots, but the cellular plans are SO complicated! How on Earth would I know how many MB of data I would need per month? DH is a heavy computer user, works from home - I don't know if using a little gadget as wifi would be adequate to his needs.

Maybe the time has not come for us to make the switch yet, but dd is now 13 and will probably be wanting to hop on the cell bandwagon soon. The plans are so expensive that it seems to make more sense to give up the landline and go with a family plan.

Another reason to change is that computers seem to have such a short lifespan, and you can get the off-brand smartphones for virtually free, making upgrading really easy. (I must say that my dh has had much better luck with his Apple computers than I have with my windows machines.) And then there is the sparkle factor - cool apps! And all the devices that it can replace - camera, camcorder, calculator, MP3 player, alarm clock, radio, calendar/datebook/planner, GPS, etc.

Anyone else considering changes in their telecommunications situation?

pcooley
10-31-12, 4:49pm
I'm finding smartphones and tablets less attractive. I used my iPod Touch quite a bit for a while, but less so now. I resisted buying an iPad. We have two Kindles. I find that my initial desire for an iPad has evaporated, and my occasional yearning for an iPhone has all but gone. (The cell phone I have sits in a drawer 98% of the time). We even rarely use the Kindles any more.

I still like the laptop, but I find, at my age, (46), I'm writing more letters and reading more books. The ultra-saturation of computers and computing devices in our culture has overflowed the boundaries of usefulness.

I want the real New York Times with my cup of coffee. Not the iPod app version.

Gregg
10-31-12, 5:17pm
I'm all set to upgrade to the new Samsung Galaxy in the next few weeks, but starting to re-think that move. Might do a 180 and just set up with a simple phone on a monthly, pre-paid plan. I'm trying to decide if my smart phone use justifies the cost and learning curve of a new high-end phone. Since I work at a computer most days all my email and social media, including these forums, gets checked there. It's a dilema right now, but I totally agree with pcooley, give me the paper with coffee, not a screen.

razz
10-31-12, 5:45pm
Well, I finally bought, on sale, a small tablet called Playbook by RIM that I can use as an ereader, a computer and has WiFi capability and will fit in my purse.

I have a older netbook with an exhausted battery which to replace will cost $119, the cost of a tablet. I have a laptop but my connection is via cellular turbo stick so the MB are costly. I looked at cellphones but the data plans etc are costly and no benefit. My cellphone is cheap and adequate for my needs.

When the cellphone sales people suggest that a tablet would best meet my needs to reduce the internet cost by using the free WiFi wherever I am, I chose one tablet that my daughter has so she can advise me of the quirks etc.

Rosemary
10-31-12, 5:53pm
I am happy staying in the technologies of the 90s. I love my laptop and don't see myself plunking out messages on a phone screen anytime soon. I also prefer my camera that takes high-quality images to the ones I see coming from phones. And although we're cell phone only, we have old phones that don't cost much to replace should they break or get lost.

I like to be disconnected for a good part of every day, so leaving the laptop at home when I'm out is just fine. I have my phone with me but don't receive many calls or messages, which works for me. Email is still my primary means of communication (yes, as I said, I'm stuck in the 90s).

SteveinMN
10-31-12, 7:14pm
Gardenarian, if your intent is to replace your existing phone/Internet provider with cellular, I think you'll find that very expensive. First, no cellular company offers the kind of speeds that cable companies and larger telephone companies will -- up to a factor of 10-12 times, steady-state. Second, even the cellular companies which offer "unlimited" data do throttle back the speed after a certain (fairly low) threshhold is reached -- and, if you exceed the amount of data you contracted for, the extra data is even more expensive. Most cellular providers have on their Web sites calculators you can use to estimate your data usage.

Cellular-provided Internet service might be OK for someone who just checks emails and some other sites, like this one. But for someone who has to work on the Internet during the day for their work, or for someone who downloads a lot or listens to videos or music on-line, cellular will be very expensive and slow. Another consideration is how good the signal is at your house -- it likely will vary by cellular company.

Lastly, there is the ergonomic factor. My wife has an ("full-size") iPad, so I'm more familiar with it than the Android tablets. The "virtual" keyboards that come on these devices is nowhere near like using a regular keyboard (or even a laptop keyboard) It is possible to buy Bluetooth keyboards for these phones and tablets, but that will be an extra expense and something else to cart around.

So -- not to burst your bubble -- but I'm thinking what you want to do will not have the results you are hoping for.

Spartana
10-31-12, 8:14pm
I also looked into getting a smartphgone/tablet combo but have opted to keep my pay-as-you-go Tracfone ($8/month), my crappy old laptop for when I need a computer at home (will eventually get home internet for around $30/month), and just get a small inexpensive tablet computer to use with free wi-fi for when I travel. That way I don't need the hasslse and expense of a long term data plan, but still have phone and internet access when I need it. Tracfone also allows you to roll over all your minutes unlike many monthly data plans.

fidgiegirl
10-31-12, 8:19pm
Are you thinking DH will use a tablet for work, too? I had an iPad for work all last year and into this year and it's great for portability, notes, e-mail, web browsing, but NOT as a full computing (i.e. business/documents/etc.) replacement.

We have Comcast internet for $39.99/month (economy plan). No landline or TV.

However our cells are on a Verizon plan and I wish we'd known about pay as you go.

The MMM Forums has a monster thread about affordable telecommunications (http://www.mrmoneymustache.com/forum/share-your-badassity/communications-tech-isps-voip-cell/). It's a beast - be prepared to sit down and really take some time if you want to understand it. He has conveniently broken down options in different response posts to his own initial thread, almost like chapters in a book. I learned A LOT from this thread and hope to implement some of it in the future.

I think you can still get your costs down but have the connectivity you need, especially for your DH working from home.

Tammy
10-31-12, 10:20pm
We have 2 smart phones (droid) with unlimited data for $140 a month. No home phone, no home internet. We would pay about 90 for home phone and internet. So its more expensive. But worth it to us.

I do everything on my phone. Banking, email, text, pics, Google search, alarm clock, calendar, documents, Facebook, twitter, instagram, weather, calculator, yelp, maps, Gps. And yes ... Message boards like this one.

Just used it in a meeting to share research with peers in real time .... Emailed link to the leader who put it up on the big screen.

It's portable. Charges in car or home. Makes me location independent. I love it.

The only thing I need a computer for any more is typing if its a big document.

Tammy
10-31-12, 10:21pm
I should add we live in a 4g area so speed is good. That can be limiting in 3g.

jp1
10-31-12, 10:32pm
Personally I prefer using my wired computer with big screen for day to day internet usage. I have an iPhone that's great for on-the-go connectivity, both out and about during the day and when traveling for a few days. If I were on the go more often I'd probably want a tablet, probably only wifi-enabled and I'd add the $10/month to turn my phone into a hotspot to use with it. But I'm not on to go that often, so for now I don't think it would be worth it to me. I can't see using a tablet as my main source of going online. Although it'd certainly be better then the iphone it wouldn't be good enough to replace the desktop, at least in my opinion.

Selah
11-1-12, 1:24am
DH has a cheap Chinese knockoff Android smartphone that he absolutely loves. I got it for him for his birthday for about $160. I have an even cheaper pay-as-you-go, stone age, "dumb" cellphone. I use it for (free) incoming calls for my nascent business, as a portable phone directory (all my numbers are stored there), and as a handy alarm clock and flashlight (!). I think that after the initial $50 I spent on it, I've spent about $40 on buying minutes for it since I got it ten months ago.

DH pays about $30 a month for his smartphone's charges, which includes unlimited internet access in wi-fi areas, and unlimited local, long distance, and international calls to the U.S. It also allows him to use Skype, which is great for conference calls and screen sharing, which he sometimes needs for his job.

ToomuchStuff
11-1-12, 12:33pm
I don't think I could get used to a keyboard on a smartphone personally. I am also not sure why you think the computer is outdated? Most people fill theirs up with junk, both stuff they know about and the junk that targets Microsoft. I went Linux several years back and use it just fine (only have one program that I haven't found a Linux equivalent for my uses). Windows is fine for games, but IMHE, a gaming computer should not be the primary, banking/email, etc. computer.
Using a Smartphone as a hotspot, normally costs extra. Having a heavy user, as your husband, he can probably look at your nat box and see what you have been using for bandwidth to guess costs. (the phone is a bad idea for a heavy user, or a gamer).
I would like a phone, in rare instances (looking up prices at a damaged freight store or thrift shop, finding out something for work), but that is it. A prepaid phone works well for me ($50 a year), and if it wasn't for downloading iso's (always playing with some other Linux distro), I would be on the cheaper internet plan. (I still might then just order the distro's on dvd)

Gardenarian
11-1-12, 2:23pm
So much great feedback, thank you! It really helps to clarify things. Fidgie, I will check the MMM post on tech - I really enjoy his blog.
As I said, I am thinking more about the future than any immediate change.

One important thing I forgot to mention is that I have a weekend cabin, and dd and dh find it difficult to go for a whole weekend without online access (and I sometimes need to check my email as well - my hearing loss makes phones difficult for me to use. The nearest wifi to the cabin is about 25 minutes away.) DD likes to online chat with her friends - the alternative is to get her a phone with unlimited minutes.

My netbook is fine for right now; I just check my email on it and use it for word processing. DD uses it for some online homeschooling and chatting with friends (which keeps our long distance bill down.) No gaming or heavy duty use.

If it were just me and dd, we would probably go with some sort of smartphone (I do like the larger format of the Galaxy Note, Ipad mini) and drop the home internet and landline. But, dh working from home is not going to change, and he needs quite a bit of computer power. He is a musician and does film scoring, composing, arranging, and has created lots of teaching materials and videos - and also gives online lessons.

A big feature to me are all the apps that come with a smart phone, as I don't have a camera/camcorder, GPS, MP3 player, and an electronic datebook would be really handy, what with all the homeschooling classes, work, trying to mesh schedules with dh etc.
Of course, I've got along for 54 years without all that stuff! (Though I do have a really nice film SLR, and would love to have a quality digital camera; I've been using dd's "Barbie" camera for 5 years. And the quality of pictures from some phones -the iPhone, at least - is outstanding.)

Maybe I would do best to carry on the way we are and look out for a good deal on a tablet that has the bells and whistles? - and hope my family can learn to enjoy a weekend in the woods without youtube, chat, etc.

JaneV2.0
11-1-12, 4:46pm
I must be devolving. As dazzled as I am by smart phones and tablets, I haven't been able to convince myself I need either. I've been working from laptops the last few years, and now I'm growing tired of those. I think my next computer will be a good old-fashioned (:)) desktop. If a key breaks on the keyboard, if I want to upgrade to a better monitor, if I get tired of unplugging peripherals because of too few USB ports, if I want to add memory (or even a media player) easily, I can do all that with a big box machine.

Florence
11-1-12, 4:58pm
I have an iPad and love it! My poor desktop is languishing under a light coating of dust. I have thought about upgrading to an iPhone but in all honesty my Blackberry is working just fine.

fidgiegirl
11-1-12, 6:25pm
Gardenarian, I forgot about the hearing loss. That said, I would say smartphone all the way. Here's why: you'll have your e-mail with you all the time, which you mention relying on quite a bit and causes you kind of anxiety (my interpretation) to not be able to check frequently. Also, texting is a snap. There are also apps where someone can speak into the app and it turns it into text instantaneously. I'm sure there are many, many more uses.

GPS/Maps are not as good on iPhone as on other phones from what I hear. Plus, it's harder to get iPhone on the cheap plans listed in the MMM thread - a lot easier to get Android. That said, I have an iPhone and really like it. We use it for all the tools you mentioned (and maps too :) ).

With an iPad, unless you pay for the cellular capability (price goes up for every add-on) (http://store.apple.com/us/buy/home/shop_ipad/family/ipad_mini) you'll be tethered to wifi. That might be ok for you, you'll have to take stock of your everyday routine and if you have consistent access to wifi and if you're ok without it when you're out and about.

SteveinMN
11-1-12, 6:33pm
A big feature to me are all the apps that come with a smart phone, as I don't have a camera/camcorder, GPS, MP3 player, and an electronic datebook would be really handy, what with all the homeschooling classes, work, trying to mesh schedules with dh etc.
Gardenarian, some of the better "feature phones" (the polite term for dumbphones) have a camera/camcorder, GPS, MP3 player, and electronic datebook. Before my Nokia smartphone, I had an LG Voyager that had those features (so did the Dare that succeeded it in Verizon's lineup). My work phone is a Sony Ericsson TM-506, which also has all of those features (though the navigation costs a few bucks a month, the phone does not require a smartphone data plan). Feature phones are getting harder to find, but the ones what are out there are surprisingly capable. Just a thought....

redfox
11-1-12, 7:38pm
Just for my situation: I love my iPad! I traveled a lot for work this year, and it was indispensable. As a consultant, I write off all expenses that go along with it. I use it & my iPhone many hours a day, every day. And, I downloaded a white noise app on the iPad, which I use to sleep better while on the road. I love both devices.

jp1
11-1-12, 9:16pm
I tried downloading a white noise app on my phone so as to not have to carry my 'real' white noise machine when travelling and didn't find it to be adequate. The speakers just couldn't recreate the deep sound that the real machine makes. I wish it'd worked better because the white noise machine is kind of bulky and my suitcase isn't quite as big as I'd like.

SteveinMN
11-1-12, 10:38pm
jp1, I'd rather not travel without my white-noise generator, either. Just thinking out loud here -- is there a way you could fashion some duck tape or paper or something around the phone speaker to mess with the sound a little bit?

jp1
11-2-12, 12:10am
Steve, I may have to play around with that idea, because it really would be nice to not have to carry the sleepmate with me when I travel. Between that and my waterpik my suitcase already seems half full... The other alternative I've considered is splurging on a set of decent compact speakers for the iPhone. Speakers have gotten so amazing in the last 10 years that I'd probably be satisfied with the result, and I'd have the benefit of being able to listen to my Avett Brothers channel on Pandora anywhere that I have an internet connection!

Tradd
11-2-12, 12:30am
I think of a tablet as complimentary to a home computer.

Me...

I have a 4.5 year old 13" MacBook that is still toolin' along pretty well, if a bit slow at times.

1 year old Sony Vaio Y series lightweight laptop. Under 12", some people would find it small, but it works quite well for me. I bought it on clearance off Amazon for $400 when I was in the midst of a big project at home and needed a new computer in case my MacBook crashed. A big plus is that I can work from home on Sony laptop. Due to wee bit of software I need to get onto work system, I can't do it on my MacBook.

I had an iPhone 3 for a year (2009). AT&T was so bad, I ditched it after a year. Ended up with a Droid X on Verizon. Danged buggy phone. This time I went with a Samsung Galaxy S3. LOVE IT. The 4G is soooo fast! I'm paying more, but I got unlimited voice and text, with lowest 2G data plan. I put my phone on wifi at home. It's one of the bigger smartphones and it's so much easier to read on. It's a more portable tablet, really. I don't watch movies or TV shows on my mobile, but this one is danged good for reading. The Kindle app gets a workout.

fidgiegirl
11-2-12, 8:26am
jp1, once I saw a demo of a kid with a speech impairment who used a credit-card sized bluetooth speaker to amplify a text-to-speech app on his iPod Touch, his "voice," for use in oral presentations in school. It was amazing.

herbgeek
11-2-12, 9:10am
I have a dumb phone (prepaid, costs me $100 year with airtime) and a tablet that is wifi only (Nexus 7). I also have an itouch, but now that I have the tablet, I use it mostly just for music or for itunes apps that aren't available on Android. Mostly because that's a cheap combination, but also philosophically it fits me. I don't WANT to be available 100% of the time, my devices are for MY convenience. These days its easy enough to find wifi when I'm out and about or traveling, and I can do that on MY schedule. I think the temptation if I was always connected would be to constantly checking my mail/websites. Since I have to schedule it, or contain it to the hotel room, I get to actually enjoy being away. If people really need to reach me, they can call me (so that covers emergencies).

If I had a cabin, and needed only occasional service, I'd probably buy something like a Netzero broadband internet device. This could be shared amongst your family members, instead of having to buy each person a cellular device. There's no contract on this, so you can cancel easily. There are other providers out there that have similar devices, where you can just pay for what you need on an occasional basis.

pcooley
11-2-12, 9:53am
In terms of expense for pay-as-you-go phones, my wife and I both have iWireless phones that automatically refill when the time gets low. So far this year, our cell phone expense for both of us has come to $86.56.

Gardenarian
11-8-12, 4:15pm
herbgeek - I'm checking out the Netzero broadband internet device - I had no idea such a thing existed! They claim on their site that there is coverage, but there are a lot of mountains...

Interesting options! I would love to have a smartphone, but that is a big monthly expense that I will have to consider for quite a while.

Also, even though it would be cheaper to get just one phone, one plan, I'm tempted by the "buy one, get one 1/2 off!" terms of the family plans. I'm always a sucker for that.

Gardenarian
11-8-12, 4:35pm
Hmm, I also discovered that I can get a cellular tablet with NO PHONE for about $20.00 less per month...
Another first world problem - to many options!

The Storyteller
11-8-12, 5:17pm
I don't go anywhere without my little pocket computer.

Time to enter the 21st century, folks.

Rogar
11-8-12, 6:15pm
I'm pretty happy with what I have. Desktop computer for graphics work, laptop for internet browsing and email, and Tracfone.

Tussiemussies
11-9-12, 4:31am
Yes we are getting rid of our landline phone when we move. I use google phone mostly on the IPad which is free. There is also some application DH knows about that runs through the computer, you keep your same phone number and use your regular phone, for free. We do have cheaper cell phones but I only use mine in case of an emergency if I am out somewhere...:)

We have the IPad which has a lot of great benefits but for typing messages or documents it doesn't work very well. It frequently changes words I have typed in and you can only type with one finger. Do love it for it's convenience and look at all my forums and Facebook and use it as my phone...

Glo
11-13-12, 9:46am
I got up at 6 a.m. to order the mini ipad the day it went on sale. I love the smaller size. DH now uses the full-size ipad. I was having a lot of trouble prying it put of his hands anyway. Now we're both happy!

rodeosweetheart
11-15-12, 11:58am
I got up at 6 a.m. to order the mini ipad the day it went on sale. I love the smaller size. DH now uses the full-size ipad. I was having a lot of trouble prying it put of his hands anyway. Now we're both happy!

I am thinking of getting my elderly mom an ipad for Christmas, as it seems that as she gets a bit more cognitive decline, the full features of her laptop are overwhelming her. Do y'all think this would be good for someone with some memory loss issues?

Glo
11-15-12, 1:43pm
Rodeosweetheart: I definitely think your mother would appreciate an ipad. You'll have to decide between the mini and regular; they both have distinct advantges.

SteveinMN
11-15-12, 5:31pm
I am thinking of getting my elderly mom an ipad for Christmas, as it seems that as she gets a bit more cognitive decline, the full features of her laptop are overwhelming her. Do y'all think this would be good for someone with some memory loss issues?
If you can afford it, I say 'yes'. A member of my family has serious problems with cognitive and muscular function, and can play games and do some simple things on the iPad. The operating system also is simpler; despite the bazillion apps available, there is some order and control to it. Of course, you can get some very complex apps -- or you can avoid them. Basic operation is pretty consistent.

I would be hesitant to go with an iPad mini, however -- it's the same screen resolution as the iPad "1" and iPad 2, but smaller, which could make some screen details and features like the keyboard harder for your mom to use. And if cost is an object, I'd seriously consider a used or refurbished iPad 2. It still will be useful for quite a while and the second generation comes with a camera for pictures or Web conferencing/Skypeing. For basic use, there's no need to go for the current iPads except for the warranty.

rodeosweetheart
11-15-12, 6:00pm
Thanks, Glo and Steve, I would definitely do the larger and not the mini for ease of viewing and she needs to type sometimes so might do the portfolio with keyboard. Steve, I am absolutely going to look at refurbished older models--will be absolutely fine for her usage. Good to hear that it works well for your family member.