PDA

View Full Version : Searching for Sugar Man

Kestrel
11-3-12, 4:59pm
DH and I don't go see many movies anymore -- too much stuff out there doesn't interest us (we're "old" ;)) ... but this is an amazing movie. Rodriguez was/is an artist who didn't make it back in the '70s and disappeared ... except in South Africa, were he became their heart and soul, but he knew nothing about it. And they knew nothing about him. So the search for him finally began, and the result is spectacular.

http://sonyclassics.com/searchingforsugarman/

Great music.

HappyHiker
11-3-12, 7:17pm
Oh Kestrel, you are so right! A big ditto to everything you said. This movie is very special. The man, the music, the mystery, the ending...! It plays like a modern day fairytale but it's all true. Rodriguez is ultra talented and so sincere and humble.

I beg everyone--if you see one film this year--or next--make it Searching for Sugarman..it will warm your heart--and soul. Something we so need during these sometimes difficult and challenging times of "if it bleeds, it leads" media.

We drove 1.5 hours each way to see it and it was so worth it!

Rogar
11-4-12, 6:42pm
I saw his story on 60 minutes and then watched several short online videos on his life and music. It was a really touching story and you know, unlike a lot of burned out older musicians, he still sounds pretty darned good. On top of things, he seems like a very nice humble man who did 40 years of manual labor and seems to have learned from it. The movie is on my Netflix list and am looking forward to seeing even more now.