PDA

View Full Version : its the christmas season!

zeaxmays
11-3-12, 11:31pm
my town put all their decorations and christmas tree up downtown the day after halloween!

:cool::cool:

redfox
11-3-12, 11:36pm
Oy vey.

zeaxmays
11-3-12, 11:50pm
our dept store has had decorations/junk for sale since late august.

Polliwog
11-4-12, 12:42am
Oy vey.

Redfox, you are funny. lol

Tussiemussies
11-4-12, 1:00am
I don't mind it now as I like the holiday season to last a long time , just don't want to spend excess doing it!:)

KayLR
11-4-12, 8:47am
One more reason to love Nordstrom. They have a sign in their stores right now (it's half-yearly sale time) which says they will not be decorating for Christmas until Nov. 27, as they "like celebrating one holiday at a time."

IshbelRobertson
11-4-12, 9:15am
Thankfully, here in the UK we have only a few Christmas cards and decks in the shops so far! I bake/make my Christmas cakes and Christmas puds on 'stir up Sunday' at the end of Nov. this is a British tradition that I'm happy to continue.

Tussiemussies
11-4-12, 9:21am
Thankfully, here in the UK we have only a few Christmas cards and decks in the shops so far! I bake/make my Christmas cakes and Christmas puds on 'stir up Sunday' at the end of Nov. this is a British tradition that I'm happy to continue.

I like that tradition Ishabel! :)

JaneV2.0
11-4-12, 10:56am
And I've nearly finished my shopping.

IshbelRobertson
11-4-12, 6:07pm
WOW, Jane... just WOW!!!!

JaneV2.0
11-4-12, 8:59pm
WOW, Jane... just WOW!!!!

I didn't have many to buy to start with, and I snagged a few items in the last few months when they caught my fancy.

Rosemary
11-4-12, 9:07pm
I'm done with all but some homemade items that I'll do at the last minute - like bread to go with homemade jam. Like Jane, I bought items ahead of time when I found appropriate things and stashed them away. I went through everything last week to see what I still needed, because I always finish all shopping before Thanksgiving, and found that I was done. Yippee!!! I've got a couple of packages already taped up and ready to go, so I'll get shipping done before holiday lines begin, too.

What I do still need to do is our annual photo collage that I send out electronically.

Tradd
11-4-12, 11:01pm
And I've nearly finished my shopping.

I'm not quite that far, but I'm close. I only buy for my goddaughter, plus sometimes her sibs and parents. I posted a thread several weeks back asking for arts and crafts ideas for goddaughter, and got a bunch of good ones. She's the eldest and the others are 4 and below. I'm going to get a group gift for the younger sibs of drawing paper (I buy several reams of the cheapest copy paper I can find), big box of crayons, markers, etc. The parents will get a Starbucks gift card. Coffee addicts on a tight budget, so they always appreciate that.

Coffee gift card for my choir directors, too.

I just need to get some Christmas cards. I can usually find what I want at Target. So much has happened in my life this year - finishing theological program, passing brokers exam, promotion, etc., that I'm actually going to write a Christmas letter. There are some folks I'm always happy to get a card and note from, but we don't have a chance to catch up much during the year.

I always try to get my stuff done before the Orthodox Advent begins on Nov. 15. :)

Tussiemussies
11-4-12, 11:18pm
That is very nice Tradd that the Orthodox Advent begins on the 15th. Seems goog to have lot of preparation before the actual day. Christine

Tradd
11-4-12, 11:30pm
That is very nice Tradd that the Orthodox Advent begins on the 15th. Seems goog to have lot of preparation before the actual day. Christine

40 days before Christmas, just like 40 days before Easter.

Tiam
11-5-12, 12:08am
Although we still give gifts and get together as a family, I've lost my love for the Season entirely.:(

sweetana3
11-5-12, 6:33am
We will do a little more this year since mom is now living in the same city and it is just the 3 of us. I am going to lend her my ceramic angels and help her decorate. We might try and find some activities she would enjoy like the Nutcracker and have a dinner together.

But that is the only reason. I am happy to watch Charlie Brown's Christmas and that is pretty much all.

CathyA
11-5-12, 8:15am
Bah Humbug!! ;)

SteveinMN
11-5-12, 9:08am
We have had so many years in which some people really didn't have money for gifts and others could buy anything they wanted, we've scaled back to largely-social occasions with token gifts. Frankly, I enjoy those even more than the gift-laden extravaganzas and all the pressure and expectations. Good company, fun food; it's fine.

I also happen to like the decorations and the music, though both of them go on for far too long (do we really need two radio stations playing the same two dozen songs for a month?). By the time the holiday season is over, the days already are getting longer. I like that. :-)

Mighty Frugal
11-6-12, 12:48pm
I LOVE the Christmas season! Love the lights! The colours! The music! The sweets!! Love it alllllllllllllllllllll:):):D

Being a Canadian means the next holiday IS Christmas. I refuse to look at anything 'Christmas-y' until November 1st. And I don't jump in until after Remembrance Day (Nov. 11th).

I plan on decorating the home November 24th. And I need to start my baking earlier than that (have 20 people/families I give a plate of baked goods to)

Dh is taking care of the 'Santa' gift for our boys. We don't buy them much. One big gift, one medium gift each and a stocking each. So we are almost done!

We already bought each other gifts (he 'bought' me a Costco membership and I 'bought' him a old school wool cap-Flenton? Flinton? Fenton?)

We don't buy for grown ups. We give our nieces and nephews cash.

But I listen to a radio station that plays all Christmas music starting Dec. 1st-all the time. Never get sick of it!

I love to wander down the aisles of shops all decked out...touching everything that I pass (but rarely buying)

I am chomping at the bit to type into google 'pinterest Christmas' but need a few hours for that adventure!

Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee I love The Christmas season!!!!

Tradd
11-6-12, 1:26pm
I'm with Mighty Frugal! :)

domestic goddess
11-6-12, 2:46pm
Thank you, Mighty Frugal and Tradd! I, too, love everything about Christmas, but it seems that it is not fashionable to admit it. Sometimes I feel very much alone at this time of year. Since this is my first Christmas without my mom, I'm going to do some of the things she used to do for us, so some traditions don't get lost. So I don't have to be harried during the actual Christmas season, I'm going to start baking soon, then I can sit back and eat cookies and enjoy them with some hot chocolate, Christmas movies and my granddaughters. Don't plan to run myself ragged, so an early start will take care of that. Butter cookies improve with time, and cookies can be stored in the other freezer in the garage. I'll also get started on Thanksgiving at the same time. I love the winter holidays!