PDA

View Full Version : Favorite British Television shows?

Tiam
11-12-12, 2:33am
I like quite a few, Downton Abby, Cracker, Call the midwife, Doc Marten, Island at war, sherlock. I particularly enjoy shows about war time but not the war itself. Life at home, homefront stories like the Wartime farm etc. Do you have any favorites to recommend and how one might be able to watch them?

Merski
11-12-12, 7:06am
I liked the British Being Human....more humour. We got it through netflix on discs but it may be on streaming by now.

cdttmm
11-12-12, 7:48am
Doctor Who

goldensmom
11-12-12, 8:12am
Doctor Who

'Doctor Who' with Tom Baker and the old shows 'As Time Goes By' and 'Keeping Up Appearances'.

catherine
11-12-12, 8:25am
My MIL was crazy about Keeping Up Appearances.

I loved anything with Ian Richardson in it like House of Cards. (I had a sincere crush on Ian Richardson since 1973 when I saw him in a play in London and subsequently met him when he in Richard II here in the US.)

I like some of the British reality/game show imports, like Pop (American) Idol and Who Wants to be a Millionnaire.

I also loved some of the Oldie but Goodies like Monty Python and Benny Hill, but you certainly need a certain sense of humor for those.

Float On
11-12-12, 9:03am
Keeping Up Appearance
any Dr Who (I do grow weary of the Daleks - their "exterminate-exterminate" grates on my nerves.)

iris lily
11-12-12, 9:27am
Oldies like Duchess of Duke Street and Absolutely Fabulous (Patsy is my frole model!)

Some of my favorites off the top of my head:

Vanity Fair (1998 version with Natasha Little.)
Forsyte Saga with Gina McKee (the 2002+ version). Damien Lewis is brilliant in it, see it if you like him in the current Homeland.

Wives and Daughters with Keely Hawkes

There are many many others.

It's so funny to me how many times these classics are re-made. Some seem to be remade every decade. There is a thread on IMDB about one of the Jane Austen books-turned movie/tv, and it goes on and on comparing multiple versions of these works. There is such rich source material in British literature! I could never get into any of the tv productions based on Catherine Cookson novels, though. I could never get over the the source material--her novels--aren't very good.

Speaking of recycling Victorian novels, Keira Knightly stars in a new version of Anna Karenina coming out in a few weeks. That's another one that is re-made every decade.

ToomuchStuff
11-12-12, 9:51am
I also loved some of the Oldie but Goodies like Monty Python and Benny Hill, but you certainly need a certain sense of humor for those.

Liked those, and some other older shows no longer made, like Good Neighbors, Faulty Towers, Black Adder, The Young Ones, Mr. Bean, Mulberry, that come to mind. Seen most of them via PBS

And some other shows that I would watch if on, but not go out and see: Red Dwarf, Coupling, How not to Live your Life, QI. Most of these, I have seen either bit from (Coupling surprise party on YouTube), or various places (received links via Email from others with similar humor). Maybe if I had something which allowed access to foreign shows, I would watch these more, but last time I tried to find out if I could get one (Canada's worst drivers via Netflix, asked a friend who had it), it was a no go.

The two that I do watch, Doctor Who (grew up with it and my only show), and one that I would love to buy if I could on DVD, but not our region, Mrs Brown's Boy's.

early morning
11-12-12, 9:56am
Tiam, my favorite war-at-home show is Foyle's War. Our library has all of the old ones, and they are filming several new episodes for release in 2013. It's wonderful. Other than that, we like - in no particular order- the new (and old!) Upstairs Downstairs, Downton Abbey, Sherlock, anything Christie, Keeping Up Appearances, Are You Being Served, Mr. Bean, South Riding, Larkrise to Candleford, Cranford and Return to Cranford (how can you not love a cow in a union-suit??), almost anything with any of the Monty Python crew, As Times Goes By, Dr. Who, Shawn the Sheep, Wallace and Gromit, Inspector Lewis, Wallander, No 1 Ladies' Detective Agency, Waiting for God - I'm sure there are more, but that's all I can think of at the moment!

Sad Eyed Lady
11-12-12, 10:17am
Last of the Summer Wine - love it!

iris lily
11-12-12, 10:19am
Oh that reminds me, I don't think that I ever finished Lark Rise to Candelford. I should pick up the last season of that at the Library.

goldensmom
11-12-12, 10:54am
I forgot to answer the second part of your question, where to watch British TV. PBS is the only source of British TV shows that I know of and I will find an episode on from time to time but the main source that I'm aware of are dvd's to buy or to get through the library.

High School Quizbowl Question from recent a PBS show: What was the secret password the knights used in "Monty Python and the Holy Grail"? I knew the answer.

MaryHu
11-12-12, 10:58am
I second most of those already mentioned. Loved Jeeves and Wooster, I have them all on DVD. And then there's the little known (in this country) A Bit of Fry and Laurie. This is Stephen Fry and Hugh Laurie just doing skit and bits. Kind of like Monty Python. Both of them are so incredibly talented. Worth trying to find if you like them. I only watched a few episodes of House before giving it up. I thought it was a huge waste of Hugh's comedic genius. I also liked Bramwell except for the last season which I didn't think was very good.

Oh and Poirot!

danna
11-12-12, 11:21am
Yes, I do also, second a lot of the above and add my fave last winter was "North and South", "Land Girls", very good.

I am watching "Clatterford" right and really enjoying it but, not sure if I can get to the end it is almost too crazy.

Those are the only ones I can think of right now but there was more.

And, did finish "Lark Rise to Candelford" last season was good but not as good as the previous ones.

iris lily
11-12-12, 11:50am
Yes, I do also, second a lot of the above and add my fave last winter was "North and South", "Land Girls", very good.

I am watching "Clatterford" right and really enjoying it but, not sure if I can get to the end it is almost too crazy.

Those are the only ones I can think of right now but there was more.

And, did finish "Lark Rise to Candelford" last season was good but not as good as the previous ones.

I liked North and South quite a bit.

The Dickens work Bleak House with Gillian Anderson was fab! I"m not a Dickens fan, and had a hard time getting through even the very good production of Little Dorrit. But Bleak House was, well, bleak and beautiful. Gillian Anderson is cool because she went from American tv to costume dramas on tv and the big screen, even going to productions across the pond. Usually it's the other way around, coming to America is the pot of gold.
(big bucks.)

Now American tv has Damien Lewis. In recent years we snagged Rufus Sewell as well. I thought I spied the eternally cute Rupert Graves on something recently, but now can't find it in his Internet Movie Database bio, so I guess I am mis-remembering. The actors I see moving back and forth between British tv/film and American are Alex Kingston, Emily Mortimer, just to name a couple. WHo are your favorite actors who do both British and AMerican productions?

pony mom
11-13-12, 12:02am
I liked the British Being Human....more humour. We got it through netflix on discs but it may be on streaming by now.

Oh, that vamire Mitchell is such a hottie! I named my betta fish after him.

I like all the shows mentioned here, including some others, like One Foot in the Grave, The Red Dwarf, Outnumbered and the UK version of The Office. Oh, and I'm an EastEnders fan since the beginning. This one scene from Only Fools and Horses cracks me up every time--I can watch it over and over and over again: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCV6_FKPuKA

I also enjoyed Creature Comforts, which was a claymation show from the Wallace & Gromit creators. Oh, and Father Ted too. And Gavin & Stacy. And and and....

I probably watch more British tv programs than American. Also really enjoy their remakes of classic novels that I've actually read. British actors do a lot of theater, which, IMO, makes them better actors. They also don't mind looking ugly in a role.

Simplemind
11-13-12, 1:08am
We have loved all mentioned here but particularly Larkrise to Candleford. So sorry to see that end because we became so invested in the characters.

Miss Cellane
11-13-12, 6:24am
In addition to those already mentioned, The Vicar of Dibley and Kingdom with Stephen Fry and Hermione Norris.

Has anyone mentioned Foyle's War, which is set during WWII, but is a police show. So the war is in the background, but isn't the main focus of most of the episodes.

Dhiana
11-13-12, 6:54am
I love seeing there are other Red Dwarf fans on this board!!

My options for seeing BBC shows is a bit limited here in Japan but we do have a Mystery Channel so we see the good Christie mysteries, Midsomer Murders, Silent Witness, and some ok mysteries such as Frost, Taggert, George Gently, Rosemary & Thyme.

Looking forward to the time I can catch some of the other shows mentioned in this thread.

pony mom
11-13-12, 10:02pm
Oh, oh oh I forgot about Poldark!!! For years I'd seen it in the library but it didn't look like something I would like. Boy was I wrong! Loved it and was sorry it had to end. He was easy on the eyes, their relationship was interesting, and I liked their simple home filled with well polished wooden furniture and simple pewter dishes.

And did I mention he was handsome?

Tiam
11-13-12, 11:16pm
I forgot to answer the second part of your question, where to watch British TV. PBS is the only source of British TV shows that I know of and I will find an episode on from time to time but the main source that I'm aware of are dvd's to buy or to get through the library.

High School Quizbowl Question from recent a PBS show: What was the secret password the knights used in "Monty Python and the Holy Grail"? I knew the answer.

Netflix has several. And surprisingly there are some on Youtube if you have the patience to search and sometimes have to click to the next segment. I watched the entire ww2 farm on youtube. Netflix has Poldark, Doc Martin, Sherlock, Rosemary and Thyme, Inspector Lewis, Upstairs Downstairs, Bramwell, The Guardian, Agatha Christies Poirot, and a lot more on streaming.Larkrise to Candleford is available on discs at netflix and is on youtube in segments.

MaryHu
11-15-12, 10:49am
I don't think anybody's mentioned The Thin Blue Line with Rowan Atkinson of Mr. Bean fame. A thoroughly silly farce series about British bobbies. (police) I'd seen some episodes on PBS but now our library got some DVDs. What a hoot!

pony mom
11-21-12, 9:42pm
Since there are so many fans here, I was wondering if many of you knew that quite a few stars from the shows we enjoy are no longer with us?

The only surviving members of Are You Being Served? are Mr. Rumbold and Captain Peacock. Trevor Bannister (Mr. Lucas) died recently. Wendy Richard (Miss Brahms) died a few years ago as well. Her character on EastEnders was killed off when she became ill again.

Keeping Up Appearances' Onslow recently died too.

Allo, Allo lost Edith, Gen. Von Smallhausen, Gen. Von Klinkerhoffen.

Fresh Fields and May to December star Anton Rogers too.

As Time Goes By lost Rocky and Madge (not surprising, as they were quite old already).

My family and I are so used to seeing these older shows that we don't think of them as old and are surprised at how many years have passed since they were made and how old the actors are now.

Mrs-M
11-22-12, 1:32am
Sherlock Holmes
Agatha Christie's Miss Marple
Midsomer Murders
Masterpiece Theatre/Mystery
Inspector Morse
Prime Suspect
Poirot
Inspector Lewis
Inspector Lynley Mysteries
Wallander
Rebus
Dalziel and Pascoe
A touch of Frost
Cracker
Keeping Up Appearances
Are You Being Served
Mr. Bean
Coronation Street
New Tricks
Eastenders
Rosemary & Thyme
'Allo 'Allo!

goldensmom
11-22-12, 6:12am
Since there are so many fans here, I was wondering if many of you knew that quite a few stars from the shows we enjoy are no longer with us?

Keeping Up Appearances' Onslow recently died too.

As Time Goes By lost Rocky and Madge (not surprising, as they were quite old already).

My family and I are so used to seeing these older shows that we don't think of them as old and are surprised at how many years have passed since they were made and how old the actors are now.

Onslow died?? I just saw a PBS special with Onslow but as we watch older shows I really don't know how old anyone is. I was surprised to learn recently how old Patricia Routledge is. Doesn't matter how old a show is if I've never seen it (or if I have seen it).

Mrs-M
11-22-12, 11:16am
He's gone, Goldensmom.

Geoffrey Hughes (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geoffrey_Hughes).

creaker
11-22-12, 11:20am
On Netflix, I recently watched a show called "Spaced" - surprisingly not sci fi - about a man and woman who lie about being a couple to share a flat. Very quirky, but I thought it was really funny. It ran for two seasons, there were something like 14 episodes.

Delaney
11-22-12, 7:39pm
One of my favorites is a comedy from the 70's called Good Neighbors (http://www.amazon.com/Good-Neighbors-Complete-Richard-Briers/dp/B000784WKO/ref=sr_1_1?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1353630685&sr=1-1&keywords=good+neighbors+complete+series). It's a sweet, charming show about a couple who quit their jobs and choose to live a life of simple self-sufficiency. They reuse and recycle and convert their suburban house to a farm with crops and animals to the dismay of their friends/neighbors. The show has been available at times on Netflix.

The Storyteller
11-23-12, 9:17am
Sherlock

Bean

Strike Back

goldensmom
11-23-12, 11:59am
He's gone, Goldensmom.

Geoffrey Hughes (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geoffrey_Hughes).

Things like that make me sad. Not sure why, I don’t know the person, will never meet them and only know of their on screen persona. As my husband said one time when were watching an episode of "Wind At My Back", ‘sometimes I get so connected with the on-going story that I forget it is just a TV show’.

Mrs-M
11-23-12, 1:14pm
Me, too, Goldensmom. I've lost count of how many actors/actresses I grew to know (and grieved) through television. It always comes as such a shock.

dado potato
11-24-12, 12:45am
Mrs M mentioned Midsomer Murders. I am working through a boxed set of "The Early Cases".

I have enjoyed _All Creatures Great and Small_, _Rumpole of the Bailey_, _Fawltey Towers_, and of course _Monty Python's Flying Circus_

Mrs-M
11-24-12, 2:34pm
Dado. Oh, how I wish I were your neighbour so I could watch with you! I LOVE Midsomer Murders! OK, now for a little criteria to watch. Have to watch in the dark! Murder/mystery/suspense movies/shows just aren't the same watching them in the afternoon (day).

iris lily
11-24-12, 2:55pm
Does anyone watch Monarch of the Glen? I watched Season 1 of that. It was ok, not great, but I'm glad I watched that much of it.

I got Stacy and Gavin thru Netflix and watch one of the episodes. I may go back to it late, when I've worked through the A list of TV shows.

Mrs-M
11-24-12, 3:10pm
I've caught several airings of Monarch of the Glen, and enjoyed it. Shows that revolve around stately country homes/manors, etc, have always appealing to me. Always a sense of closeness mixed with drama.

IshbelRobertson
11-24-12, 5:02pm
Monarch of the Glen?

Such a crappy series, but with some grat actors!

Mrs-M
11-24-12, 11:51pm
Heartbeat

Mrs-M
11-24-12, 11:58pm
Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries

Alan
11-25-12, 10:28am
Dr Who, Jeckyl, Shameless, Top Gear

dado potato
11-25-12, 11:39am
Mrs M,

I would put the kettle on at a moment's notice. Especially if you could come over in the afternoon.

As you may be aware the theme of Midsomer Murders is played on a Theremin, invented circa 1920 (50 years before the synthesizer). The Theremin is played by the hands moving around 2 antennas, the right controlling pitch and the left controlling volume. The composer of the theme music is Jim Parker, a classical oboe player.

Incidentally, the Theremin was also used in the Beach Boys recording, "Good Vibrations".

Merski
11-26-12, 6:08am
Just got season 3 of Brit version of Being Human on netflix streaming. Yay!!! LOVED monarch of the Glen. Saw it from beginning to end. Also loved Ballykissangel if that's BBC or TV ireland.

Mrs-M
11-26-12, 7:52am
You have always been such a gentleman for as long as I've known you on the boards, Dado.

I had to look up what a Theremin was. I did not know the theme to Midsomer Murders, was played on one, however, now that you mention it, I vaguely remember catching an episode of Randy's Vinyl Tap (CBC Radio), and Randy, mentioning the part about the Beach Boys song and the Theremin.

bunnys
12-15-12, 10:11pm
Recently watched the Cranford two. They were pretty good.

Also just watched North and South. Really liked that bc it wasn't pretty--just gritty.

Recently tried to watch Larkrise to Candleford. Too much fluff. Not enough substance. Watched 2 episodes and was BORED.

pony mom
12-16-12, 9:45pm
Recently watched the Cranford two. They were pretty good.

Also just watched North and South. Really liked that bc it wasn't pretty--just gritty.

Recently tried to watch Larkrise to Candleford. Too much fluff. Not enough substance. Watched 2 episodes and was BORED.

Read the Lark Rise to Candleford books instead. It's sort of a "what life was like back then" history lesson, with their different traditions and customs.

sweetana3
12-17-12, 6:19am
We watched all of Lark Rise and lent the set to a bunch of family. We call it the English Little House on the Prairie. Good family fare.

bunnys
12-17-12, 3:17pm
We watched all of Lark Rise and lent the set to a bunch of family. We call it the English Little House on the Prairie. Good family fare.

Yep.

Gardenarian
12-17-12, 4:38pm
Inspector Morse was my favorite for a long time.
"Cranford" is probably my favorite of the costume dramas.
The book spoiled "Larkrise" for me - I really enjoyed the book. The first few shows were pretty good.
I like a lot of the BBC documentaries and my library has them streaming for free.

I heard "Robin Hood" was good. Anyone seen it?

MaryHu
1-17-13, 12:59am
Just finished watching a 4 part mini series from the 90's that I checked out of the library called Sleepers. It's about 2 young soviets sent to Britain in the mid 60's who never hear back from Moscow and finally just become so Briticized they don't want to go back. The MI5, CIA and KGB are shown as a bunch of morons running around after these guys. But it wasn't a complete comedy. It was pretty good. You really felt for them, especially the guy with a family in Britain.

Tiam
1-21-13, 2:17am
Yep.

I had a bit more trouble with Lark Rise. A bit too squeaky clean or something for me. I enjoyed some but not all of the Catherine Cookson.

Spartana
1-21-13, 12:43pm
Most of the ones already mentioned plus Ballykissangel and another one, like Doc Martin but a more of a drama set on an island off the coast. Can't remember the name. Might also have been Irish like Ballykissangel. Also love ALL the Dickens, Austen and Bronte stuff too.

nswef
1-27-13, 12:15pm
We liked Born and Bred as well as the others mentioned. We're enjoying Garrow's Law. My friend just gave me her collection of All Creatures Great and Small so we are watching it daily! It's nice to see them all in order. They are VHS, so need to figure out who to give them to next.

oldhat
1-28-13, 4:33pm
I haven't read this entire thread, but has anyone here mentioned the Prime Suspect series with Helen Mirren? I thought Mirren's Jane Tennyson was one of the most fully realized TV characters ever. The "woman trying to make it in a man's world" trope has become a bit of a cliche, especially where cop dramas are concerned, but Mirren takes the concept and breathes new life into it. Jane Tennyson is a bundle of contradictions--ambitious and idealistic, tough and vulnerable, bitchy and tender-hearted. In other words, a real human being. There are seven seasons, and they're all good.

IshbelRobertson
1-28-13, 4:58pm
Yes, I loved the Mirren Prime Suspect series. She was great although the last season sort of ran out of puff, IMO.

pony mom
1-28-13, 9:21pm
I remember seeing a young Raiff Fiennes in the first Prime Suspect season and thinking gosh, what a really good actor. He'll go far. And he has.

IshbelRobertson
1-29-13, 5:08am
I love Ralph Fiennes!!

pony mom
1-29-13, 11:20pm
Oops. I spelled it like it's pronounced.

Anyone like Coupling?

Tradd
1-29-13, 11:27pm
Just saw on PBS website that Call the Midwife's second season begins March 31. :)

I've introduced a few friends to the show that didn't see it when it aired last fall. My DVD of season one is making the rounds.

ToomuchStuff
1-29-13, 11:31pm

Anyone like Coupling?

See post #8;)

IshbelRobertson
1-30-13, 6:23am

I hadn't noticed! Just another trap the British like to spring on the unwary! I have always been grateful I don't have the surname Cholmondleigh (pronounced Chumlee) or Marjoribanks (Marshbanks)!

Tiam
5-5-13, 2:20am
Tiam, my favorite war-at-home show is Foyle's War. Our library has all of the old ones, and they are filming several new episodes for release in 2013. It's wonderful. Other than that, we like - in no particular order- the new (and old!) Upstairs Downstairs, Downton Abbey, Sherlock, anything Christie, Keeping Up Appearances, Are You Being Served, Mr. Bean, South Riding, Larkrise to Candleford, Cranford and Return to Cranford (how can you not love a cow in a union-suit??), almost anything with any of the Monty Python crew, As Times Goes By, Dr. Who, Shawn the Sheep, Wallace and Gromit, Inspector Lewis, Wallander, No 1 Ladies' Detective Agency, Waiting for God - I'm sure there are more, but that's all I can think of at the moment!

I tried Larkrise and found it a bit too sweetish. Whoever said it was a UK version of Little House on the Prarie was right! Not that that's bad, just had trouble staying with it for that reason. I watched some of the Catherine Cooks movies, some were better than others. I've been moving along through Foyle's war and enjoying it well enough. Still looking for more.

Lainey
3-29-15, 7:50pm
Time for the new season of Call the Midwife tonight! and of course the Mr. Selfridge series is starting too.

nswef
3-29-15, 9:24pm
I love Call the Midwife, Jewel in the Crown but not Mr. Selfridge...don't enjoy the main character, he gives me the creeps and I don't know why. I love New Tricks, Midsomer Murders, Miss Fisher, so many over the years. I think the first one I watched was The Wives of Henry Vlll And cousin Bette. Probably 1971 or so. Black and white on my TV.

Yossarian
3-29-15, 10:26pm
Not going to be the same without Jeremy Clarkson.

IshbelRobertson
3-30-15, 6:39am
Agreed. No doubt the threesome will be snapped up by one of the commercial UK channels.

Lainey
4-25-16, 10:48pm
Is anyone watching Call the Midwife yet this season? Some very serious and sobering topics. SPOILER ALERT
SPOILER ALERT

Two topics so far: self-induced abortion by an unmarried woman, and they don't spare the graphical scenes - blood, coat hangar, etc. - just like it really was in 1961.
Second continuing topic of the Thalidomide babies being born then.

All the more reason to love British TV - they don't sugarcoat how life was, but also emphasize that compassion and empathy go a long way.

iris lilies
4-25-16, 11:18pm
I hadn't noticed! Just another trap the British like to spring on the unwary! I have always been grateful I don't have the surname Cholmondleigh (pronounced Chumlee) or Marjoribanks (Marshbanks)!
Or St. john, pronounced sinjin

iris lilies
4-25-16, 11:24pm
I am watching Happy Valley season 2. Normally I dont much like copper shows, but this one is good. I like it because the story arc takes an entire season, and I like the female cop main character. I am rather bored amy more with tv shows that go by the old formula where each episode starts a topic and wraps it up by the end.

Season 2 of Broadchurch was forgettable, already I forgot what happened in it.

I am waiting dor the second season of The Missing, but I dont think its even been shot yet.

Ultralight
4-26-16, 7:55am
The Prisoner!

Alan Partridge!

KayLR
4-26-16, 11:56am
Don't know how I missed this thread til now. I smiled at the English Little House on the Prairie remark. Hubs and I differ on tv tastes. He likes that kind of "wrap it up pretty with a bow" type of viewing. I find it boring. I'm enjoying Call the Midwife and Grantchester right now, but he often leaves the room during those darker scenes.

(his favorite movie is "The Lion King.")

I enjoyed Monarch of the Glen years ago and it's in my Netflix queue.

goldensmom
4-26-16, 12:13pm
Don't know how I missed this thread til now. I smiled at the English Little House on the Prairie remark. Hubs and I differ on tv tastes. He likes that kind of "wrap it up pretty with a bow" type of viewing. I find it boring. I'm enjoying Call the Midwife and Grantchester right now, but he often leaves the room during those darker scenes.

My Sunday night PBS viewing is Call the Midwife, Grantchester and Mr. Selfridge although I usually fall asleep during Mr. Selfridge so I never see a complete episode. I am looking forward to the remake of Keeping Up Appearances and watch As Time Goes By when I can find it. My husbands interest in British TV starts and ends with Top Gear.

LDAHL
4-26-16, 12:24pm
I'm going to miss Top Gear.

IshbelRobertson
4-27-16, 8:30am
The 'new' TG has received quite a bit of negative coverage here, including 'outrage' re Matt Le Blanc doing wheelies around the Cenotaph.... What is it they say about there is no such thing as bad publicity?

Meanwhile the original trio are keeping their stuff under wraps.

LDAHL
4-27-16, 8:38am
The 'new' TG has received quite a bit of negative coverage here, including 'outrage' re Matt Le Blanc doing wheelies around the Cenotaph.... What is it they say about there is no such thing as bad publicity?

Meanwhile the original trio are keeping their stuff under wraps.

The American version leaves much to be desired. A little too "bro" for my taste.

Nothing at the level of putting Helen Mirren on a racetrack or leading a parade of every wheeled vehicle made in Britain.

iris lilies
4-27-16, 8:42am
The American version leaves much to be desired. A little too "bro" for my taste.

Nothing at the level of putting Helen Mirren on a racetrack or leading a parade of every wheeled vehicle made in Britain.
Wait, what? What is this show? Something ng that parades Austin Healeys and Kags and Triumphs and MGS on the screen? Sign me up.

LDAHL
4-27-16, 9:05am
Wait, what? What is this show? Something ng that parades Austin Healeys and Kags and Triumphs and MGS on the screen? Sign me up.

And double decker buses, armored personnel carriers and front end loaders. It was quite a sight. Sadly, they were cancelled when one of the principals hit an assistant who botched his lunch order. We will not see their like again.

ToomuchStuff
4-27-16, 10:21am

The one that was fired, or technically, contract not renewed was Clarkson. (think British Trump, as his popularity, is due to political uncorrectness). The other two resigned in protest.
Here is a clip. Not complete, started with a complaint letter from a viewer, about why don't they just do proper reviews (kind of consumer reports), so they responded:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7e7R3y-qwZ0

Then they have challenges, where they have to either build something, or travel against each other.
One other link: http://www.breitbart.com/london/2015/03/11/clarkson-breitbart-londons-top-ten-top-gear-moments/

catherine
4-27-16, 10:55am
I am actually fearing the end of my evenings with Downton Abbey. Over the past couple of months, DH and I have enjoyed going through each season. We watched the first episode of Season 6 last night and we're dreading the last episode as much as we do finishing a really good book. I love the characters. I know that Edwardian life wasn't exactly utopia unless you were "his lordship" but I just love the grace and good manners--definitely both of which have been lost in translation to more modern times.

After we finish Downton Abbey and have mourned appropriately I'm going to hopefully persuade DH to start House of Cards--I'd love to do the British version first because Ian Richardson has been a crush of mine for decades.

iris lilies
4-27-16, 11:06am
I am actually fearing the end of my evenings with Downton Abbey. Over the past couple of months, DH and I have enjoyed going through each season. We watched the first episode of Season 6 last night and we're dreading the last episode as much as we do finishing a really good book. I love the characters. I know that Edwardian life wasn't exactly utopia unless you were "his lordship" but I just love the grace and good manners--definitely both of which have been lost in translation to more modern times.

After we finish Downton Abbey and have mourned appropriately I'm going to hopefully persuade DH to start House of Cards--I'd love to do the British version first because Ian Richardson has been a crush of mine for decades.
House of Cards is a good choice. I tried the British version but could not relate.

The anti-Downton Abbey is Justified, a production that is much better written than DA, though of course without the beautiful clothes and sets. The hillbillies of SE Kentucky don't know how to dress.

catherine
4-27-16, 11:16am
The anti-Downton Abbey is Justified, a production that is much better written than DA, though of course without the beautiful clothes and sets. The hillbillies of SE Kentucky don't know how to dress.

I've never heard of Justified.. Sounds intriguing.. I'll admit that there's a LOT of deus ex machina that goes on in the script of DA, and that's my only real complaint. I just love the characters.

Ultralight
4-27-16, 11:19am
Survivors from back in the 70s! I luffed that show! The new one was good too, but got cancelled so quickly.

Anyone watch Coupling?

iris lilies
4-27-16, 11:30am
I've never heard of Justified.. Sounds intriguing.. I'll admit that there's a LOT of deus ex machina that goes on in the script of DA, and that's my only real complaint. I just love the characters.

Justified is better written and acted, although I often cant tell the difference netween mediocre acting and mediocre script. DA is original writing but is a pastiche of Victorian and Edwardian conventions and plots out of 2nd rate novels. Justified is also original writing, is clever, and while a drama, its got ironic humor. Not sure I ever cracked a smile when watching DA? Oh wait, Maggie Smith, well yeah, there is an example of excellent acting with mediocre material.

anyway, Justified is very violent so for that reason, it may not be your thing.

IshbelRobertson
4-27-16, 12:19pm
And double decker buses, armored personnel carriers and front end loaders. It was quite a sight. Sadly, they were cancelled when one of the principals hit an assistant who botched his lunch order. We will not see their like again.

Their loathing of caravans was also a feature of a few programmes! Oh and their attempt to build hovercrafts and amphibious cars....

I miss them!

LDAHL
4-27-16, 2:04pm
Their loathing of caravans was also a feature of a few programmes! Oh and their attempt to build hovercrafts and amphibious cars....

I miss them!

I remember them trying to cross the channel in homemade amphibious cars and attaching balloons to a caravan to make it fly. Genius.

IshbelRobertson
4-27-16, 5:25pm
Abso-bleeding-lutely!

ToomuchStuff
4-28-16, 11:14am
Survivors from back in the 70s! I luffed that show! The new one was good too, but got cancelled so quickly.

Anyone watch Coupling?

Ever read through the posts?

catherine
5-21-16, 11:11am
Just wrapped up ALL of Downton Abbey, which we started a few months ago. We packed in all 6 seasons by watching almost every night (except for when I was traveling). I feel these people live in my house, and they definitely live in my heart. I loved the characters--all of them, and particularly Thomas Barrow, Isobel Crawley, Anna and Daisy and Mrs. Patmore, and OMG, love Mrs. Hughes and Carson. And of course, the Earl and the Countess and Dowager Countess.

We re-watched the finale last night.

I am so compelled to start dressing for dinner. If only I could find a few people to serve me and dress me!

freshstart
5-21-16, 6:21pm
I would want Anna as my personal maid. I adore the dresses and especially the hats. I am partway through season 5. Is Season 6 on PBS.org?

catherine
5-21-16, 10:03pm
I would want Anna as my personal maid. I adore the dresses and especially the hats. I am partway through season 5. Is Season 6 on PBS.org?

We watched it through my Amazon Fire--not sure if you can watch it on PBS.org, but worth a try!

Alan
5-21-16, 10:20pm
Some of my favorite series these past few years have a British influence, although I'm not sure they're the same genre's this thread reflects. My current favorites include Penny Dreadful, set in London and New Mexico in the late 1800's and with characters including witches, werewolves, vampires, Dr's Frankenstein and Jekyll, Professor Van Helsing and even Dorian Gray. Then there's Black Sails, a pirate adventure set about 20 years before Robert Louis Stevenson's Treasure Island and mixing some of his characters with real life historical pirates such as Blackbeard and Anne Bonny. Finally, there's Outlander, which probably needs no description here. I love them all.

pony mom
6-2-16, 8:27pm
I watched a bit of the new Top Gear with Chris Evans. I much prefer to watch reruns of the old show. Maybe someone really interested in cars would enjoy it, but I loved Jeremy, James and Richard's adventures more than anything.

IshbelRobertson
6-3-16, 2:25am
They were just the perfect team. The staid, the reckless and the immature!

Brandon
6-25-16, 1:36pm
I watch almost exclusively British DVD's bought on Amazon. I have a multi-region player and can see all DVD's no matter their format,

I especially love Are you being served?, Dear Ladies, Vicar of Dibley, Jam and Jerusalem, The Good Life, to the Zmanor Born, You're only Young Twice, You Rang M'Lord to name a few!

Lainey
6-26-16, 2:54pm
Endeavour has started again. Love the intelligent and conflicted detective. Also love that the plots are nuanced and don't shy away from showing how ordinary people are also capable of violence.

IshbelRobertson
6-26-16, 5:29pm
I missed the last series, but have been watching repeats in preference to the European Football Championships. I love it! The actor who plays Morse, Sean ....... Is great.

pony mom
6-26-16, 8:46pm
I'm watching the football matches too!! Disappointed that Hungary lost, but all the teams are doing well.

Anyone watching The Tunnel?

nswef
6-26-16, 10:52pm
Yes, Endeavor and the Tunnel. Doing The Tunnel on demand so I can fast forward and watch it during the day. I should be going to bed right now! So The Tunnel is on too late.

printslicker
7-23-16, 12:08am
Sherlock, certified Cumberbitch here :)

iris lilies
7-23-16, 12:23am
My friend and
I just finished Marcella, a show about a
London detective, it was mediocre.

iris lilies
7-23-16, 12:24am
I'm watching the football matches too!! Disappointed that Hungary lost, but all the teams are doing well.

Anyone watching The Tunnel?

I,watched a bit of,The Tunnel last
Sunday on PBS but it didnt capture my interest. I am not a big fan of muder musteries, anyway.

sweetana3
7-23-16, 5:46am
Husband got us the Acorn subscription due to low cost. I have totally enjoyed watching whole series of British shows. Loved the sweet show, Kingdom.

Simplemind
7-23-16, 11:01pm
We just started watching The IT Crowd. It makes me giggle.

idahome
8-20-16, 10:09am
awesome show for sure! also really loved downton abbey doctor who sherlock and plan on getting into more.

LDAHL
8-20-16, 11:01am
I binge-watched Blackadder last weekend. Even the Christmas Carol special.

sweetana3
8-20-16, 12:19pm
Just binge-watched Mayday a multi part mystery that was a lot like Broadchurch. It was amazing, creepy, scary, and imaginative. Ending was well written. A girl goes missing and everyone is a suspect. Families start to watch each other, many are suspected by neighbors, etc.

19Sandy
8-20-16, 4:31pm
I live in the USA but get to watch some British shows on PBS. The British Baking Show just ended and it is fantastic. Tomorrow, The Tunnel ends on PBS too. I can't wait for Poldark season 2 to begin. I have about memorized the comedies that others have mentioned on here and my kids loved those too! My library gets a lot of British shows on DVD that are fun to watch too.

iris lilies
8-20-16, 5:01pm
Sweetana, I,will look into Mayday, sounds interesting.

I didnt know that the new Poldark production went into 2 seasons, good. I,will have somethng to,look forward ro, havent watched the first ne yet.

IshbelRobertson
8-20-16, 5:17pm
Poldark2 is due to be broadcast in a couple of weeks here in the UK.

unfortunately it will be going head to head with a drama about the young Queen Victoria. Thank goodness for Tivo!

19Sandy
8-20-16, 7:08pm
We are getting the Queen Victoria one in January, I think. Sometimes we see things later here. Then again, the library might get the DVDs before then. Tomorrow is a conflict for me because Fear the Walking Dead premieres and I am also watching the PBS shows. My ancient VCR broke and I don't have TIVO. I have been trying to find a recordable DVD player but can't find one anywhere.

IshbelRobertson
8-21-16, 4:40am
The new series of the Beeb's Great British Bakeoff starts soon. Thank goodness the summer of wall to wall sports is almost over... Except that the football season has begun!

Ultralight
8-22-16, 7:56am
An Idiot Abroad?

Rogar
8-22-16, 8:09pm
I didn't look back far enough to see if anyone has mentioned, "Detectorists". It's one of my favorites from the past several months. Quirky characters and a little similar to Doc Martin type humor and tone, I thought.

sweetana3
8-22-16, 8:20pm
We just saw it and loved it. Creative and fresh. My favorite show on Acorn right now is Mayday. Super creative and suspenseful. Amazing ending. I thought even better than Broadchurch.

Tiam
11-21-16, 9:27pm
I didn't look back far enough to see if anyone has mentioned, "Detectorists". It's one of my favorites from the past several months. Quirky characters and a little similar to Doc Martin type humor and tone, I thought.

I do like that show. It's simple and plain and I love it.

freshstart
11-21-16, 10:23pm
where is it playing? streaming?

sweetana3
11-22-16, 5:04am
We got it on AcornTV thru Amazon service. Very impressed with shows and only $5 a month that can be stopped at any time. No contracts.

iris lilies
11-22-16, 9:02am
Detectorists is perfect from beginning to end, so charming. It is fresh.

The pretty girl who plays Andy's girlfriend is the daughter of Diana Riggs.

frugalone
11-22-16, 10:23am
Inspector Morse, Doctor Who, Doc Martin, The Avengers, The Prisoner

IshbelRobertson
11-22-16, 10:27am
I was in Port Isaac a couple of months ago, where Doc Martin is filmed. We holiday on The Roseland, but drive over to PI as we love it so much. The steep hills in the village get tougher to climb with every passing year. We park at the top of the village as the streets really are as narrow as they seem on TV!

freshstart
11-22-16, 11:35am
that is so cool!

frugalone
11-22-16, 11:44am
I wonder if the weather is as agreeable in real life as it is on the program!

I was in Port Isaac a couple of months ago, where Doc Martin is filmed. We holiday on The Roseland, but drive over to PI as we love it so much. The steep hills in the village get tougher to climb with every passing year. We park at the top of the village as the streets really are as narrow as they seem on TV!

IshbelRobertson
11-22-16, 1:17pm
Well, it was certainly nice and sunny when we visited, but the seas were wild.

Tiam
11-22-16, 10:29pm
where is it playing? streaming?

Detectorist? I watch it on Netflix.

19Sandy
11-23-16, 9:36pm
In the states, we can watch a few British shows on PBS. Durells in Carfu and Indian Summers 2 just ended. Poldark 2 is ending on Sunday. Victoria starts in January.

Gardenarian
11-24-16, 2:31am
Just finished "The Night Manager" and really liked it. Tom Hiddleston is marvelous. The ending could have been better constructed, but overall - exciting, great acting, beautiful cinematography.