PDA

View Full Version : Food, Marriage, Women Studies, etc.

mtnlaurel
11-16-12, 7:46am
I read this this morning and it just brought me to tears....
it had a million different little nuggets for me.

It's from Anne Lamott's latest book....

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/11/14/eating-healthy-habits-how-to-satisfy-your-soul_n_1940936.html

razz
11-16-12, 8:27am
This is one of the loveliest articles that I have read in a long time and I share the thoughts of her journey but not the experiences. I am still in the learning mode and with a wonderful group of friends who are teaching me so much and learning from me as well.
i loved Rumi said, "Through love all pain will turn to medicine"— I have been workoing through the idea that "our human history must be revised". We carry thoughts and experiences from our past with all the emotions of that period and the emtional maturity of that time. As I let go of my child state with its whine of victimhood, the judgemental parent state and grow into the rational, thoughtful adult state, I now take a look at my history and let go of a lot of cr@p (to phrase it bluntly) and see its benefits - what I learned, what I changed and how I developed as a result. Wonderful stuff!

JaneV2.0
11-16-12, 9:48am
I had just the opposite reaction. I've read and enjoyed Ann Lamott's non-fiction in the past but oh how tired I get of memoirists publicly dragging their parents through the dirt, exposing/exaggerating their foibles, and blaming them for lackluster childhoods/lives. It seems like such a nasty, passive-aggressive way to exact revenge.

catherine
11-16-12, 10:39am
I had just the opposite reaction. I've read and enjoyed Ann Lamott's non-fiction in the past but oh how tired I get of memoirists publicly dragging their parents through the dirt, exposing/exaggerating their foibles, and blaming them for lackluster childhoods/lives. It seems like such a nasty, passive-aggressive way to exact revenge.

I agree--I believe in the grace of restraint when it comes to broadcasting negative stuff about your family--and I know I'm old-fashioned in that regard. I remember hearing someone mention that Victoria Gotti would never speak ill of her husband in public. Now, Victoria Gotti is as far from my idea of a classy lady as you can get, but that gave her class in my eyes.

But I certainly did like some things about the Lamott article--it reminded me of some of the reasons I love getting older.