PDA

View Full Version : Positive Energy Solutions / Climate Change Documentary

Laser_Cat
11-22-12, 9:40am
I saw this documentary on the PBS website just the other day and it was definitely a breath of fresh air to the constant stream of negative energy solutions / climate change documentaries out there. (Not saying that the negative ones aren't good documentaries) It's a NOVA special so you don't need any special player or anything to watch. (Not sure about those outside the US though) Enjoy!!

http://video.pbs.org/video/1873639434

~~ Laser Cat =^.^=

Charlie WA
11-22-12, 11:21am
I've always liked NOVA. Thanks for posting this. I think there is a lot that we can do, if we can get enough people to agree. Maybe China will continue to be a key player in developing alternative energy.

Mrs-M
11-22-12, 1:06pm
Bummer... PBS, leaves us Canadians out of the picture to view. P.S. Love your avatar, Laser_Cat!

libby
11-22-12, 2:46pm
Give it another try Mrs-M. I am in Canada and watch PBS videos all the time. Just click on the link and wait for the video to load.

Mrs-M
11-22-12, 3:01pm
No such luck, Libby. All I get is, "The requested video is not available, we apologize for the inconvenience".

Laser_Cat
11-22-12, 8:40pm
Awww, Actually I hate how I can't watch a lot of French television online, especially when I was really studying the language on a daily basis. I hope someday we can watch videos no matter where we live! I tried finding another source for the video but it doesn't look like there are any out there!! =(

P.S. Mrs. M, Thanks!! I can't take too much credit though, I just found the picture online and cropped it down =P

catherine
11-23-12, 8:36am
Well, I got to watch it! Very provocative! Didn't expect to spend an hour,with it this morning, but the house is still asleep, so I got to watch.

What a complex issue--as you said, Laser_Cat, at least it presents multiple potential solutions. Love the idea of the Wedge Game, and that it's not just one solution--it has to be multiple solutions. That approach makes collaboration easier--everyone can apply their own preferred wedge/wedges to the issue.

Bill McKibben is brilliant but sometimes I get tired of the Doom and Gloom. This was an interesting view of how to solve the climate crisis without telling people they have to revert to fire pits and bicycles.

Mrs-M
11-23-12, 8:39am
Well, it sure is Neat-O, Laser_Cat. :)

P.S. So happy to welcome you into our SL family!

Laser_Cat
11-23-12, 8:56am
Thanks Mrs M!!! I feel like I'm at home on these forums already!!

I agree about Bill McKibben, it's true the outlook is quite grim and I think the vision of 350.org is a good one!! But, I've watched a ton of environmental documentaries and I have to say 5 out of 6 of them leave me in a more depressed mood than when I started watching it. its a situation not to be taken lightly, but of course simple living is part of the solution as well =) Glad you enjoyed it! If you guys and gals know of any other good documentaries pass them along!!

peggy
11-23-12, 9:23am
What a great video! Thanks for posting that. Lots to think about. And, along that same vein,
http://www.ted.com/talks/donald_sadoway_the_missing_link_to_renewable_energ y.html

This liquid metal battery looks to be exceedingly promising!

Laser_Cat
11-23-12, 9:59am
Ooooo that's cool!! I know battery power is one of the main things keeping people from buying electric cars for example. It's good to know that they are working on the solution!

Mrs-M
11-24-12, 7:38pm
The liquid metal battery link was very interesting, Peggy.

puglogic
11-26-12, 9:40am
I may be labeling myself a failure as a lefty-liberal treehugger, but I can't abide the doom and gloom any more. I don't open the emails, I don't bite on the fundraisers. I KNOW, I KNOW ALREADY, WE'RE ALL SCREWED. :D

This, however, was a breath of fresh air. I don't know if technology can save us from climate change. I don't know it there's time, money, desire, and raw materials to make it happen. Maybe not. But I still choose to watch things like this.

Thanks, Laser Cat!

Gardenarian
12-3-12, 5:05pm
Really looking forward to oviewing this!! My dd is so pessimistic about the future, and she's only 13.
Thanks for sharing.