PDA

View Full Version : What a ripoff!

CathyA
11-24-12, 8:14pm
I've been looking for a low acid coffee. Tyler's seemed to have alot of good reviews, so I ordered 2 sample packs. They were each $9.95. Fortunately, no shipping charges.
It said on their site that each pack had 18 cups of coffee in it. To be fair, they probably mean 8 oz cups. So figure my mug is about 12 oz, which would mean it would make 12 mugs.
But this is what I got. This would make about 5 mugs. I emailed them. I have the feeling they won't care, now that they have my $20.00. what a ripoff. I'm going to be looking for a cheaper low acid coffee. There are several out there, but this one sounded really good.
Here's a pic of what I got in 1 pack. Its in a 1 cup measure. I'm not very happy.
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f129/Catherine50/IMG_9672.jpg

redfox
11-24-12, 8:23pm
Yikes! Maybe they mean a 4 oz. cup. I cold brew, and it's a great way to make low acid coffee.

bunnys
11-24-12, 8:28pm
Yeah, that's pretty bad.

Aren't there any low acid supermarket brands? Do you have to go gourmet?

sweetana3
11-24-12, 8:54pm
Cannot tell but appears to be a specialized product price.

2 ounce pack is to be used with 10 cups (I would consider this a cup measurement kitchen wise) of water for an auto drip coffee maker per their site. Did you get two packs or 4 ounces? I have gotten other brand sample packs like Starbucks or Seattles Best land they are packed in compressed little bags. Not on sale they are about that price but usually have three or sometimes 4 individual sample packs, each making one pot of coffee.

I think there is a rip off here. Their add says a perk pack will make 18 cups of coffee but if you go to "how to make their coffee" it says clearly to add one perk pack to a coffee maker with 10 cups of coffee????????? I could not find out how to get 18 cups from one perk pack.

CathyA
11-24-12, 10:56pm
Yes, there are cheaper low acid brands, but this one had high ratings, and I thought I'd be getting more than I did. If they ripped me off with the sample pack, they'd probably continue ripping me off with the regular packs. So I'm looking at other brands. I only got 2 packs, each one being the amount of grounds in the pictures. It will be interesting if they respond to my email. Everybody knows that in a drip coffee pot, even though it says 10 cups, its really only 5.
Redfox..........I just recently became aware of the cold brew method. What kind of device do you have?
I looked at Whole Foods and Trader Joes, but could only find 1 low acid regular coffee, and no decaf. I want to be sure it is decaffeinated by the Swiss water method too. I thought all decaf coffees were made that way these days, but I guess I was wrong.

Tradd
11-24-12, 11:34pm
I just poked around on Amazon, and discovered that Folgers has a "Simply Smooth" coffee. Doesn't say "low acid" on the package, but it does say "gentle on your stomach." It has a 4.5 star rating. Perhaps you could find this in a larger grocery store in your area. Here's the link so you can read the reviews.

http://www.amazon.com/Folgers-Simply-Smooth-Ground-11-5-Ounce/dp/B001FA1K94/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&qid=1353817935&sr=8-13&keywords=low+acid+coffee

redfox
11-24-12, 11:40pm
CathyA, I use a gallon pickle jar, coarse grind the coffee, fill the jar 1/4 to 1/3 full, add cold filtered water, stir, and let it sit in the frig for 24 hours. Strain, then use about 1/4 cup brew to 3/4 cup boiling water. Very low tech, and effective!

CathyA
11-25-12, 8:40am
Thanks Redfox. I was thinking I had to buy a special receptacle. I wonder why it lowers the acid? Do you use just a name-brand caffeinated coffee?

Thanks Tradd......the combination I'm having trouble finding is organic/low acid/decaf/swiss water method. Now I'm looking at Healthwise, Euromild, Puroast. But I'm going to give the cold brew method a try. That would be so much cheaper.

redfox
11-25-12, 9:44am
I use organic, shade grown coffee that I buy in bulk from my food coop. It's very high quality. I recommend buying organic coffee - we buy all organic, and have for years. I save money in many areas so we can buy organic.

As I understand, heat on the grinds is what causes the acidic quality.

CathyA
11-25-12, 10:34am
Thanks redfox!

puglogic
11-25-12, 11:13am
CathyA, I use a gallon pickle jar, coarse grind the coffee, fill the jar 1/4 to 1/3 full, add cold filtered water, stir, and let it sit in the frig for 24 hours. Strain, then use about 1/4 cup brew to 3/4 cup boiling water. Very low tech, and effective!

Me too!! (I use a 2-quart jar...)

CathyA
11-25-12, 11:57am
I forgot to ask you Redfox.........can this be done with decaf coffee also?
Pug.....what is your ratio? Do you really feel the difference (in a good way) with the decrease in acid?
Its strange that I had never heard about this method for decreasing acid.
I've heard of making concentrates to keep in the fridge. But I think for that you just make a super strong coffee and then refrigerate it. That is different than the cold brew method, right? I guess its the heat that makes it acidic.
Thanks!

Mrs-M
11-30-12, 10:51am
Hmmm... maybe the amount reflects the advertised "low-acid" content? As in, you're going to have to scale back on the amount of coffee you use (per cup), hence the reduction in acid. LOL!

CathyA
11-30-12, 1:07pm
There seems to be some strange kind of measuring going on in the coffee world. Then again, maybe we're only supposed to drink small quantities and not the huge mugs we drink of it.
Look at a 12 cup coffee maker. It really only makes about 4 mugs of coffee. So I'm thinking they are calling a cup something like a demitasse size??
In looking online for other low acid/organic/decaf coffees, I'm seeing that some places send you 12 ounces of ground coffee to sample.....as opposed to the 4 ounces at most that this Tyler company sent.
What's curious is that I wrote to them and they never wrote back. So I won't be ordering from them again.

frugal-one
11-30-12, 8:54pm
Here it tells how to make low acid coffee and low acid iced coffee.....

http://www.ehow.com/how_4904365_low-acid-coffee.html

nswef
12-1-12, 11:11am
But what if you want low acid black hot coffee? Does it lack body when cold brewed? I think I might try it - just a wee bit. I get my coffee from PortoRico Coffee Company. They ship it- We get the organic, fair trade, bird healthy French Roast Mexican or Peruvian. I buy about 10 pounds at once to save on shipping and freeze. I haven't noticed a great decrease in flavor. I get it ground to one notch past Melitta and use an electric melita style coffee maker. I could never get a french press to work the way I liked.

creaker
12-1-12, 12:26pm
But what if you want low acid black hot coffee? Does it lack body when cold brewed? I think I might try it - just a wee bit. I get my coffee from PortoRico Coffee Company. They ship it- We get the organic, fair trade, bird healthy French Roast Mexican or Peruvian. I buy about 10 pounds at once to save on shipping and freeze. I haven't noticed a great decrease in flavor. I get it ground to one notch past Melitta and use an electric melita style coffee maker. I could never get a french press to work the way I liked.

How funny - I do the same thing, 10 pounds of organic fair trade (whole beans, though) at a time from Dean's Beans.