PDA

View Full Version : Healthcare Tourism

San Onofre Guy
2-11-11, 5:07pm
My wife has been wanting a facelift for many years. She thinks she looks much older than her years and wants it done. Does anyone here have any experience with travel to Thailand, Buenos Aries or other location to have a facelift done by a US trained plastic surgeon?

I recognize that this isn't simple, but then again they way people view themselves isn't necessarily simple

Hattie
2-11-11, 5:15pm
I just don't understand why women (or men) get facelifts. I am almost 50 and look it. I think facelifts make people look "plastic". Have you looked at Barry Manilow lately? hehehehe......For many people, plastic surgery becomes an addiction and pretty soon you wake up one day, look in the mirror and wonder who the heck that is looking back at you. *S* We all age - getting a facelift won't change that. I look at my wrinkles as "character" to my aging face. I like that when I smile, my face actually moves and shows emotion. That's just my opinion for what it's worth. *S*

bae
2-11-11, 6:30pm
I would in general avoid unneeded surgery.

Anne Lee
2-11-11, 6:37pm
No, but those places seem like they will cost a lot to travel there so I'm wondering about how much money you will actually save. My sister had some "work" done inupstate NY and it was 8K. I don't know that it was a full blown facelift but she looks good - like she did about 15 years ago in her upper 30's.

Has your wife consulted with a US doctor? I would think that maybe one in another part of the US might be cheaper if you were going to travel for it. Otherwise, have you considered Mexico since that's closest? I think the proximity to SoCal would mean that you should be able to find a plastic surgeon there.

PS. I like San Onofre State Park. I've been there several times visiting my sons at Pendelton.

sweetana3
2-11-11, 8:49pm
I would also agree that anyone on the coasts, east or west, check out good certified doctors in the midwest before going international. Even vet fees are 4X higher in big cities on the coast.

Yppej
2-11-11, 9:44pm
Has she already tried less invasive measures like Botox?

iris lily
2-12-11, 1:46am
While theoretcially I'd like a face lift, in reality, there are far too many practical reasons why I wouldn't do it, and I am a practical person.

I need a "jowl lift" and I've read that that is one of the more complex facial surgeries to do. But the bottom line for me is that I can't stand the idea of a surgical knife slicing into my perfectly healthy, functional flesh. Sure let's just slice that open and expose it to all of the hideous germs inside that germ factory, the hospital. yuck.

iris lily
2-12-11, 1:48am
Has she already tried less invasive measures like Botox? I read that Nicole Kidman recently 'fessed up to using Botox for the past oh so many years.

While most Hollywood types don't consider Botox to be "work done" and I sort of agree with them, it's still a Frankenprocedure that makes them look fake-o and lame-o.
Steve Martin's botoxed face in that last film with Meryl Streep was so distracting that he pretty much ruined his own part in an already weak film.

Wildflower
2-18-11, 3:41am
Your wife should look into laser resurfacing. It is only about $1500 and will leave her face looking soft and new like a baby's butt. She won't need a facelift after that and no traveling outside the U.S. necessary.

A friend of mind had her whole face laser resurfaced to get rid of sun damage, wrinkles and precancerous lesions. She is in her mid 50's and she now looks marvelous darling!!

Giveallup11
4-27-11, 7:55pm
My fiance is already talking about plastic surgery, and she has nothing wrong with her. She things that she needs a facelift (http://www.lifestylelift.com/) and all other kinds of liposuction (note, she weighs about 115 pounds). I think that pop culture has created this unrealistic expectation of looking great forever. My alternative to this is why not take a massive vacation with all that money and make memories. To me, I would think that this would make your bond stronger, and make her realize that she is just perfect the way she is!

janharker
4-27-11, 8:40pm
S.O. Guy asked if anyone had specific information, not opinions on whether having the work done is good or bad. Sorry, SOG; wish I could help.

San Onofre Guy
4-28-11, 4:36pm
Actually my wife had the work done locally last week. It wasn't nearly as costly as expected and done by a Board Certified Doc with 25 years in the business. I am not a fan of any surgery not medically necessary, but we all have our issues, my issue being one of hating to spend money. People look at people who get plastic surgery the same way they look at people who take anti-depressents. Like I said, we all have issues and we have to remember that when you point your finger at others, four other fingers are pointing back at you.

Glo
4-28-11, 10:52pm
I saw a program on TV that showed the use of acupuncture. The lady who had it done said her lines were gone and she looked like herself only much younger. I wouldn't mind trying that myself!