PDA

View Full Version : December Fitness

nswef
12-2-12, 10:46am
New month, new goals? I can't say I've done much, but by posting on this board I feel much more accountable- or guilty!Splat!. For November I have 15 stars on my calendar so my new goal should be to earn more than 15.

Share what you are doing.

Rosemary
12-2-12, 2:39pm
OK. I'm going for a walk, right now! This thread is a good daily reminder for me.

fidgiegirl
12-2-12, 2:46pm
Love the idea of the stars, nswef. :)

Gus and I went for a run yesterday and enjoyed ourselves very much.

puglogic
12-2-12, 3:08pm
December is traditionally my WORST month for exercise, so I'm going to join in and set a goal of 7 hours of some kind of exercise every week.
Yesterday: 1.5 hours of hiking
Today: 1.0 hours of walking

larknm
12-2-12, 3:12pm
Yesterday and today DH and I brushed out one of our dogs who has tons of undercoat we've never really completely brushed before. She's thrilled and looks beautiful and happier. We also brushed the middle-sized one who is short-haired. Npw we hae the two in the middle, #1's littermate who doesn't have much undercoat but is way too sensitive to stand brushing, plus stands under our parrot while she eats and gets all this food in her coat. Then there is #3 who has medium hair but also very touch. For her we'll try next week something I read here: Clonazepam (short-acting, in Valium family) and in an hour try brushing, doing this at a time when he won't need to mountain climb (our form of exercise) for 4 hours after the pill. Really hoping this works, for financial reasons (usual cost $20 at Petco, a store we don't want to support because they sell animals), and because he's terrified of anyone but us touching him (hides under chair and pees at vet's--a 75 pound dog). We could try the Clonazepam on#2 too.

Kept all-weather tires on through November--always try for longest time because the winter tires get fewer mpg, though are much safer on ice.

Will ask library to order books recently-out by people I know--usually they wait a year on neewly-out books, even for interlibrary loan.

Got Nov heating bill, after having clossed off half house. Last November this billl was $115, this November it's $43.

larknm
12-2-12, 3:15pm
I reaoize I forgot this thread was only for exercise--sorry.

bunnys
12-2-12, 3:45pm
I walk 1.5 hours daily and have decided that I want to go back to running. I've gotten my iPod and am working on getting music together. I took a run the other night and it wasn't too bad. Actually, I did a lot better than I thought. It was 20 minutes and I ran @ 2/3 of it. I think I did about a mile, total.

My goal by the end of the month is to run 2 miles straight. I have a 10k I want to do @ the end of March...

Tiam
12-2-12, 3:45pm
Oh, it's gotten harder and harder to exercise. I tired more easily and don't have the stamina I used to. But the sun shone today and I got out with the dog. I don't walk fast like I should, but I walked for 45 minutes.

nswef
12-2-12, 5:18pm
It looks as if lots of people are doing LOTS of exercise. So many different ways of tackling the job. I think grooming dogs might count as exercise Larknm>8).

bunnys
12-2-12, 6:31pm
Moving = exercise. Let's make that perfectly clear.

Just took my 2nd run and 1st run for December. It was A LOT better than on Tuesday night and I still don't have any music.

puglogic
12-2-12, 8:49pm
I reaoize I forgot this thread was only for exercise--sorry.

Lark, brushing my dog is quite a workout....I didn't think that part out of place at all :D

puglogic
12-2-12, 8:51pm
Bunnys, whenever I run these days, I do a run-walk much of the time: Run 1-2 mins, walk 2-4 mins. I can go for at least an hour this way, sometimes a lot more, and I never get too tired out, too out of breath, or too sore.

Rosemary
12-2-12, 9:22pm
I mentally give myself stars for activity just about any time that I'm not sitting, since sitting has been shown to be so detrimental. All that prep work I do in the kitchen is an added bonus of a whole-foods-based diet, because I am standing for a couple of hours every day doing that.

nswef
12-3-12, 1:38pm
Rosemary, I, too, think any moving is better than sitting. I give myself stars on the calendar for anything more than the usual- so I get stars for yard work and walking both. We went to the library path today- husband came along as the dog walking friend has a bad ankle. New place and new partner. The best part about the marked path at the library is that there is a bathroom at the library.

puglogic
12-6-12, 4:50pm
Dragged myself out for walks this week of 1/2 hour, 45 minutes, and 1/2 hour, and got in 1.25 hrs of strenuous yoga on Wednesday. I hope to be able to make the rec center tonight so I can pedal on the recumbent bike while I read my book. Feeling good this week, still not sleeping well, but still functioning...

Rosemary
12-6-12, 5:16pm
Zumba, a fast walk, and lots of standing today.

lucas
12-8-12, 6:35am
Hello everyone,

The winter cold can definitely be a big disincentive to getting out there and exercising... I love running, but in the winter months the first 10 or 15 minutes are always a bit unpleasant, as you're trying to warm up... I think January is going to be the real challenge for me though, as I'll be taking up residence in New York... (real coldness!)... I live in Madrid at the moment, and while the winter is a whole lot colder than the rest of the year, it rarely drops below freezing point... you should see the reaction of people here on those rare occasions when it actually does snow (once ever four or five years, for about ten minutes)... I will be leaving my apartment at the end of next week, and couchsurfing for my final two weeks in Madrid, so my challenge is to keep my exercise routine up despite not having my usual routine (in the past holidays for me have always means holidays 'from everything' - healthy diet, exercise, being productive etc - rather than just holidays from my job...

Hugs,
Lucas

Rosemary
12-8-12, 8:48am
I live in MN, and while I prefer to get exercise outside, in the winter I stick with our treadmill. It's a lot colder than NY here, though.

bunnys
12-8-12, 7:48pm
Ran again tonight. Ran straight for close to 20 minutes. Then I walked about another 2.5 miles.

fidgiegirl
12-8-12, 7:53pm
Nice, bunnys!

puglogic
12-9-12, 12:23am
Went to the rec center yesterday for about an hour's full body workout (cardio plus resistance), which was terrific. A 45-minute walk in there, with hills, capped off my week (I did precisely jack today, resting up) So a little over 7 hrs for the week, which was my goal. Tomorrow we start all over..... I feel good but tired, maybe the new routine will take some getting used to.

bunnys
12-9-12, 6:37am
Yea Pug!

Thanks Fidgie. My goal for the month is either to run 2 or 2.5 miles straight by the end--don't know how quickly I'll improve. But I think one of those is doable as I'm pretty much a 10-minute-a-mile girl. Unlike you, I won't have to worry about slipping on clods of snow.

nswef
12-10-12, 10:30am
Nice work Bunnys.

bunnys
12-12-12, 9:44pm
Ran again tonight. This was my 6th run. I think I did about 1.5 miles. It's getting better. Even though it was cold out tonight my lungs didn't feel like they were actually bleeding like the during the first run which was also pretty cold.

I'm going to run this distance again on Friday and then I will run in the park during the light of day for the first time on Sunday.

I hope to be doing 2.5 miles by the end of December. My goal is to do the local 10k on my birthday (3/23.)

Edit: Ok, just checked the date of the 10k this year and it's on April 13th--really late. This is only 5 days after I get back from Spain so that means I'm going to have to figure out how I'm going to run while I'm In Spain. This is going to be tough. D@mn. Well, at least I have like 3 more weeks to train.

puglogic
12-12-12, 10:58pm
Ooooh, really slowing down this week. My only exercise so far has been a half-hour walk yesterday, a half-hour today, and an hour of yoga today. I'll have some catching up to do if I want to meet my goal...

puglogic
12-16-12, 12:15am
Was able to get in 1.5 hours of exercise at the rec center last night, and a half-hour's hike today....not what I was hoping for this week, but a new one starts tomorrow!

dado potato
12-16-12, 8:44am
Around 11/15 I assembled an elliptical machine in the basement. It sits on a sweat-catcher mat. I have a powerful floor fan blowing from my left, and the mast of the elliptical machine also has a 3-speed fan than can put a breeze over my abs. I have taken it for a spin practically every day that I have been home. I started at 440 calories, and have since increased the resistance and duration so I am burning 650 calories now.

Because I am hopeful for cross country skiing this season, about half the time I "ride" in my ski boots and silk ski socks (Socks from Fox). Otherwise I wear flat-soled Converse court shoes. Lately, after I reach 600 calories, I have been stopping to pull of the footwear, and finishing in my sock feet.

There's something about going shoeless -- I feel like "winged Mercury"!

fidgiegirl
12-16-12, 10:50am
Good job, everyone! Nothing to report here, but reading yours inspires me!

nswef
12-16-12, 3:43pm
It is inspiring to read what everyone is attempting and achieving! I love the winged Mercury barefoot ( sock footed) riding Dado. It made me smile. In the summer I tried some barefoot walking, but decided the regular wallking with shoes worked better, although the last 3 minutes or so down to the haous i would take my shoes off and do barefoot. Not now at 40 degrees. I did get a 30 minute walk up the cemetery yesterday- and a 25 minutes walke with my husband on Wed. so twice this week. Truly need more than that. My walking buddy's knee is still out of commission and it's amazing how many other things I can find to do rather than walk. No yoga this month either and I KNOW it makes me feel good. Ah, motivation. On the other hadn I did get around that cemetery 8 times so I am going faster than in the summer.

fidgiegirl
12-16-12, 4:49pm
Isn't it great to see the progress over time, nswef?

puglogic
12-17-12, 10:32pm
Got out for an hour's walk today even though it was cold and blustery (but sunny!). I'm so glad. The dogs and I are much more relaxed.

puglogic
12-18-12, 1:31pm
Another hour today, hiking with a dog walker and her charges in the snow, with my dog as well. Good for everyone! (she made some money, I got some exercise, Gordon got some fresh air and sunshine)

fidgiegirl
12-30-12, 5:00pm
Almost the end of the month but finally some fitness activities to report! We went for a brisk hike the other day with my BiL's hiking group and for an XC ski today, our first in two years. Both felt great. Off for a hot shower after a sweaty ski! :D

Sparrow
12-30-12, 5:33pm
You guys and your snow put me to shame. It's dry, calm and in the 40s here and I've been complaining all week how it's too cold to get out on my bike! I have taken a few walks but only down the street to take care of my neighbor's cat. I feel like such a wimp!

bunnys
12-30-12, 5:37pm
Fidgie: Great job w/ your XC skiing. I've never been. Not enough snow here.

Pug: Good job getting the hours in.

I just got back from a run and then slapped another 1.5 mile walk on top. I am up to running 2 miles. The worst part, by far, is the anticipation of the run. I dread it all day long and then I get my @ss out there and get going and it's never that bad.

Today, I was dreading it and I thought is it worse than cramps? And I thought, no, not worse than cramps but you don't choose cramps. But when I got out there I realized it doesn't even come close to cramps. That shows you how I've blown this misery out of proportion if I was comparing the two.

But at least I did it. And EVERY OTHER THING about doing it is good. I need to get over this.

nswef
12-30-12, 5:53pm
I did do a yoga tape yesterday...and some snow shoveling. Not a lot of strs on the chart this month. No good reason. Perhaps a new month will help. Our state parks have a new year's day walk/hike. I might....or just sit in the warmth and eat. The days are getting longer though!

fidgiegirl
12-30-12, 6:15pm
Today, I was dreading it and I thought is it worse than cramps? And I thought, no, not worse than cramps but you don't choose cramps. But when I got out there I realized it doesn't even come close to cramps. That shows you how I've blown this misery out of proportion if I was comparing the two.

I'll have to remember this one! I have the same issue!

Sparrow, don't do too much admiring, December is a hard month and this is probably our quietest on the fitness thread - but good things to come in the New Year!! :)

nswef, looooooove yoga.

nswef
12-31-12, 12:27pm
I find this thread encouraging... i did a yoga tape this morning, too. So good for me!!