PDA

View Full Version : Donating Blood & almost fainting

kal
2-12-11, 6:30pm
I gave blood today for the first time in about 25 years. I had no problems in previous years but this time I almost fainted after the nurse removed the needle. They elevated my feet, turned me on my side & put cold cloths on both forearms, my forehead & neck. They told me I was the 2nd on that day that almost fainted.
I had eaten a big breakfast & was well hydrated. Has anyone else experienced this? I would like to donate again but after almost fainting I am really hesitant.

sweetana3
2-12-11, 6:49pm
Husband gave whenever possible. Once he gave and then got in an elevator. When it went up, he fainted and went to the floor. Only happened once.

Saddest thing is that since he spent so much time in England on business (even though he did not eat meat), he cannot donate even with a rare blood type.

CathyA
2-12-11, 7:08pm
Are you male or female?

kal
2-12-11, 7:10pm
Female.

Crystal
2-12-11, 8:10pm
Happened to me too. I used to give every few months, but stopped after that.

Float On
2-12-11, 8:32pm
I haven't given blood since I gave and then fainted on stage about an hour later at a community concert.

Rosemary
2-12-11, 9:23pm
I tried to donate blood several times when I was younger, and either passed out or came close to passing out each time. My blood pressure tends to be on the low side anyway.

simplelife2
2-12-11, 9:57pm
I donate regularly (I'm over 2 gallons now), but I've never had a problem with fainting. Eating and hydration are the biggest issues and you seem to have that covered. Weird that you were second. Was the room too warm? I would try it again given your successful history, but if you had the same issue again, I would stop.

loosechickens
2-12-11, 11:16pm
It happens sometimes.....it's harmless and shouldn't keep you from donating again, but you should be aware of the possibility, so stay quiet for a bit after donating, make sure to eat and drink the stuff they have available.

My sweetie once fainted just getting his flu shot......as they eased him down and put his head down between his legs, the nurse said, "yep, it's often the big, strong ones".....he was SO embarassed. He's also felt faint sometimes when having donated blood, but never actually has fainted.

It's more common than you think. Not to worry....it's an everyday occurrence at the blood banks.

lhamo
2-13-11, 12:51am
I faint a lot -- well, more than the average person -- due to a combination of low blood pressure/sugar and general anxiety. Drs offices and hospitals are difficult places for me. Sometimes just the smell of the disinfectants can make me woozy. I've never actually given blood for this reason. Now I can't in the US, as I was in the UK from 1986-88 so I am on the Red Cross "cannot donate" list due to mad cow concerns.

If you want to avid problems in the future, I would say be VERY slow about getting up, and maybe eat some protein while you are donating (do they allow that?) or shortly after. For me the "here's a glass of orange juice" strategy actually doesn't work well, because it can make my blood sugar spike, but then it drops off again really quickly and I could end up fainting on the street. So I would say take it slow and steady and hang around for awhile before you leave the office, if there is a place to wait.

lhamo

kal
2-13-11, 7:50am
Thanks for your replies & suggestions. I think I will give it another try & see how it goes.

The form they had me fill out prior to donating had a lot of questions regarding visiting & living in Africa & Mexico so
I guess they are on the watch list for "cannot donate" as well as the UK. The couple beside me mentioned they were going
to Mexico for a 2 week holiday & were told they could not give blood for a year after returning.

janharker
2-13-11, 8:36pm
I was advised years ago not to give blood because it would take a couple of weeks for me to not be constantly tired. Until recently I've had fairly low blood pressure (110/70) and always a quite low heart rate (50s). I would give blood if it became necessary since I'm A+ and that's not so available. Also I store some up if I knew I was going to have surgery. But I generally shy away from the whole process.

I'm thinking you should try again. You might have just had an off day. But if it happens again, I'd report the experience to your doctor and wait for qualified advice.

SoSimple
2-13-11, 9:09pm
Saddest thing is that since he spent so much time in England on business (even though he did not eat meat), he cannot donate even with a rare blood type.
I did not know this. I lived in England for most of my life, though I've been on this side of the pond for the past 15 years. I never gave blood because I always fell under the minimum weight (not so much now, alas), but had been thinking of doing so at the next readily accessible blood drive. But I had no idea that living in England put you on the "do not donate" list. Is that because of the mad cow scare from the early 1990's?

lhamo
2-13-11, 11:44pm
I did not know this. I lived in England for most of my life, though I've been on this side of the pond for the past 15 years. I never gave blood because I always fell under the minimum weight (not so much now, alas), but had been thinking of doing so at the next readily accessible blood drive. But I had no idea that living in England put you on the "do not donate" list. Is that because of the mad cow scare from the early 1990's?

Yes -- here is a useful summary of the current rules at Red Cross and other U.S. blood donation centers:

http://www.bloodbook.com/donr-requir.html

Of course they conveniently fail to mention that many of the factors that led to the spread of mad cow in the UK were also present in the US food supply during the same period of time. I guess since rates of mad cow and related disorders never went as high in the US as the UK, they think it is safe. But many countries ban US beef. And probably should ban most factory-farmed meat, since most animal feed has at least parts of other ground up animals in it.

lhamo

lhamo

CatsNK
2-14-11, 10:01am
Most of the time this is just due to anxiety. Try to look away when they stick you and don't look at your own blood. Think happy thoughts. :)

kally
2-14-11, 10:16am
I gave blood once when I was just beginning to get sick. I wasn't sick yet and afterwards got full blown flu, but i didn;t know it at the time. I gave blood, sat up and all the signs on the walls flipped upside down I was that woozy.

I learned never to give blood unless feeling tip top. One of the reasons i went through with it, I think, was that there was a blood drive where I worked and i didn;t want to let down the team. Stupid I know.

ApatheticNoMore
2-14-11, 12:24pm
Yea I felt faint pretty much *every* *single* *time* I gave blood, probably why I stopped giving blood :\. My blood pressure tends to be low (well under 120/80), for me 110/60 tends to be an average reading (if it goes up to 120/80 I start getting panicked I'm developing high blood pressure, oh no, oh no ....). I was often under the weight limit (110 pounds) when I donated then, I'm not now.