PDA

View Full Version : Gone Girl (suspense novel)

iris lily
12-7-12, 11:14am
Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn is a great suspense read, I highly recommend it! Looking for an Xmas present for someone who reads? Get this (but make sure they haven't read it first.)

I don't normally read suspense, but this one is very entertaining, as well as being an easy read. It's tightly plotted with lots of twists and surprises!

It is about a married couple in their 30's from New York City. They both lose their job in the recession, and they move to Missouri to take care of his terminally ill mother. Something happens--or does it? You'll never guess. Lots of us in St. Louis are reading it because, well--it's Missouri and and St. Louis and it's fun! It is currently on the NYT bestseller list, but please don't hold that against this book, haha!

treehugger
12-7-12, 11:18am
I keep hearing great things about this book, and it's on my [very long to-read] list. Maybe I will bump it up higher on the list. I want to read it before I hear any details that spoil the suspense. It was just optioned for a movie. Do you think it would translate well to the screen?

Kara

iris lily
12-7-12, 11:23am
I keep hearing great things about this book, and it's on my [very long to-read] list. Maybe I will bump it up higher on the list. I want to read it before I hear any details that spoil the suspense. It was just optioned for a movie. Do you think it would translate well to the screen?

Kara

In the right hands it might do well as a film. It is told in alternate first person and I think it will lose much in not being inside the heads of the characters.

Yes read it now before you get any plot spoilers.

JaneV2.0
12-7-12, 11:51am
I rarely read fiction, but I checked this one out--possibly because of a recommendation here. I read maybe twenty pages, decided I didn't like the characters, and flipped to the last chapter. With very few exceptions, my attitude toward fiction is "Get to the point!" I don't feel like I missed much. The author must have done her job though, because my initial impressions were vindicated in the end.

lmerullo
12-7-12, 1:44pm
I agree with the slow start to the book, but in hindsight it was just part of the layering, I think... I had read something else by her, escapes me at the moment, so she is automatically recommended when I log into my library account. I got it for kindle from the library, so it was free. I loved the book! Very much a "what's around the next turn" sort of story - lots of plot twists. Recommend.

Sad Eyed Lady
12-7-12, 10:41pm
Read it - liked it.

iris lily
12-7-12, 11:40pm
I agree with the slow start to the book, but in hindsight it was just part of the layering, I think... I had read something else by her, escapes me at the moment, so she is automatically recommended when I log into my library account. I got it for kindle from the library, so it was free. I loved the book! Very much a "what's around the next turn" sort of story - lots of plot twists. Recommend.

Funny, I didn't think it was a slow start at all. I thought it was light and fast read from beginning to end.

Jane, don't you think it can be kind of fun not to like characters? These were not especially likeable in the beginning and more so, much more so, toward the end. Their likeability of themselves and of each other was a real issue in their marriage, too.

I'd better not say more or else I'll give something away.

JaneV2.0
12-7-12, 11:56pm
Funny, I didn't think it was a slow start at all. I thought it was light and fast read from beginning to end.

Jane, don't you think it can be kind of fun not to like characters? These were not especially likeable in the beginning and more so, much more so, toward the end. Their likeability of themselves and of each other was a real issue in their marriage, to.

I'd better not say more or else I'll give something away.

Apparently not. :D

rosarugosa
5-17-13, 5:26pm
I just read Sharp Objects by this same author and I thought it was an excellent read. I haven't read Gone Girl yet, but I did read another one by her (I think it was titled Dark Places) that I thought was OK, but nothing too special.

Simplemind
5-17-13, 8:49pm
I liked it much more than I thought I would. I liked the back and forth perspectives for a change of pace.