PDA

View Full Version : Good Substitutes for Christmas tree?

CathyA
12-9-12, 11:35am
We have a beautiful, real looking fake tree. Once decorated, its wonderful. But its usually mostly up to me to do it all. (The kids live in different cities and usually aren't home until Christmas)
The tree is 7' tall and has a total of 58 branches to put in to the main trunk.
Then there's the lights and all the ornaments. Then there's the taking it down later. Maybe in my old age I'm just turning into a scrooge. I'm exhausted by all the holidays.....extended family, children, cooking, etc. I'm trying to simplify, but feel like its up to me to give my immediate family a nice holiday.
Okay.....back to the tree. I'm ready to simplify things next year, as far as the tree goes. I know probably the best alternative is a smaller tree that can sit on a table.
Have any of the rest of you gone to any other ideas to serve as a tree substitution? I love the lights the most. Our fake tree is a 7' pole that you fill in with all the branches.......but the top is a nice cluster. I said to DH, let's put just the top on and call it the Trufulla tree. :~)

On a funny note, when we built onto our house, the builder said he actually had a customer who had him build a big closet onto the end of her living room, so she could just push the tree into the closet, lights, decorations and all after Christmas was over. That's sounding pretty good to me about now. haha

bunnys
12-9-12, 12:13pm
I don't do a tree. It's just too much trouble. Although I do like the lights...

fidgiegirl
12-9-12, 12:24pm
Do you want to give up the tree altogether, or perhaps would just a smaller tree fit the bill? I have a little two-footer that we pulled out when we were so overwhelmed with remodeling work last year and didn't want to set up (and take down) the "big boy" (who is only a 4.5 footer, BTW). Adds a little cheer and isn't very much work at all. Everything stores in one box for that little tree, we can just fluff it up, pop a few ornaments on it, voila.

feel like its up to me to give my immediate family a nice holiday.

Not to start playing psychoanalysis with your tree thread, but perhaps there was a reason this little statement slipped in there. BTW - it's not. I don't remember many details about your family, but it's not all on you. AND even if it were, the size or presence of tree wouldn't make it less "nice." At least in my family, I can't fathom anyone thinking back on last year - "remember the year Bryce and Kelli only put up a two foot tree? Shame." I hope you have the same understanding present in yours - and if you don't, well, their problem!

ETA: Ooh, that sounded strict or something! Meant, of course, in the most supportive of sentiments.

puglogic
12-9-12, 12:31pm
We have done Christmas here both with and without trees. The lights and decorations are more than enough to make the place feel super-festive without the exhausting effort of 58 branches and all that decorating.....think about trying something different this year rather than next, CathyA. Take tender care of yourself this holiday, rather than following everyone's expectations of super-mom. The point of Christmas is to be together, not to wear yourself out doing something you feel you "should"....but which really isn't necessary in order to feel the holiday season's special charm.

ETA: On the years when we just are too spent to think of trees, we'll put up the talking/singing 2' motion-sensor Christmas tree. It's so obnoxious that we guaranteed only people who love us will come over! :) We have also used a Norfolk Island Pine as an Xmas tree, albeit with tiny little styrofoam ornaments....

iris lily
12-9-12, 12:32pm
You won't like this, but here's my solution: I bought about $85 worth of stuff and will be throwing it away in January.

The basics:
* 5' fresh tree sits on a dog crate --it has height from the dog crate platform
* Fresh branches on the fireplace mantel
* Fresh wreath for front door
* very simple but effective decorations

I plan to chuck it ALL (I MAY saved the lights) into the dumpster. This tree is small enough to push into the compost dumpster.

Approximate cost breakdown:
tree $19.99
stand $5
red berry branches $14.99
evergreen branches about $15
wreath about $18
decorations: red tinsel $1 bolts of ribbon $3, 2 poinsettias for $2

I already had 2 strings of red lights: 1 string of 100 lights for the tree, 1 string of 50 lights for the mantel

If you think of it as disposable, it's not so painful to take down because there is no painstaking "putting away." I will have to remove the tinsel from the tree before it goes into the dumpster and I'm not happy about that, but otherwise it will be pretty easy.

I haven't put up a tree for some years and I em enjoying this one. The red lights and simple red tinsel make for a pretty statement but it was all done in 1 hour. It's my "One Hour Decorating" gig and that's key.

edited to correct tree size, it is 5 feet high not 5 inches high

goldensmom
12-9-12, 12:53pm
I'm in the same boat CathyA, if the tree gets up and decorated I'm the one that does it. Everyone wants it but no one else is willing to do it. Due to limitations from surgery last week, if a tree gets put up it will have to be doe by someone else. Before surgery I did house wide decorating that include a 1' (artificial) tree on the kitchen table. I'm okay with how the house looks without a big tree this year.

artist
12-9-12, 12:55pm
We have a 30" table top, prelit tree that we love. Decorating doesn't take much time and we can swap out themes from one year to the next because it doesn't require much in the way of ornaments. It is small and simple. We tried not tree or just lights etc.. but didn't care for it much. I still needed a tree.

iris lily
12-9-12, 12:58pm
... here's my solution:

http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb111/kprp/xmas2012001.jpg

iris lily
12-9-12, 1:02pm
There are people who do this as a business because so many Americans hate putting up a tree and taking it down. I've always thought that this is a little business I could do--I know how to decorate inexpensively, I know how to score free greenery. Actually, the $14.99 I paid for red berries was completely out of my usual mode of operating, but I wanted to try them to see how long they would last. If I were doing it on the cheap I would take free clusters of bittersweet and spray them red.

I think that if you, the OP, concentrate on what you really like--lights--and let go of the other stuff (who NEEDS 50 fiddle-ly little ornaments? ) then it simplifies your life to make it do-able. Give away the giant artificial tree, but do it now so that someone can benefit from it this year.

bunnys
12-9-12, 1:24pm
... here's my solution:

http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb111/kprp/xmas2012001.jpg

What a pretty corner!

catherine
12-9-12, 1:46pm
I agree with bunnys: beautiful job, Iris lily!! Very festive! I want to see the dog with a big red bow tied around its neck and deer antlers in the crate, however.

My two suggestions for a quick "tree":

--Get a BIG poinsettia. That's what my MIL did when she got sick of decorating a real tree. She used to spend WEEKS decorating a tree--she was always such a perfectionist. She would never let anyone help.. so unlike my family who loves the togetherness and the imperfections that you get when trimming a tree as a family (I take care of any BAD tree-trimming when everyone's in bed and won't notice).

Anyway, a big poinsettia can be really festive and beautiful if put in the right place, like a focus point of its own.

--Birch branches with white lights. I used to do that in rooms that needed some Christmas, but not a full-fledged tree. If you go to Michael's they sell white/birch branches, and if you put little lights them and put them in a nice tall vase in a corner they can be really beautiful.

rodeosweetheart
12-9-12, 1:59pm
My mom always hated putting up the tree and stopped when we left home. She had a little ceramic tree with lights that she would stick on top of the tv, and say, There, my holiday decorating is done! I thought it was awful at the time but have come to think it's rather sweet.

Some years I have sent them a balsam table decoration from LL Bean, pre decorated, and they can keep it on the center of the table and say, there, it's done.

I like your tree on a crate, Iris!

The birch branches sound beautiful.

I'm debating--mabye this will be the year w/out a tree.

Or maybe not.

SteveinMN
12-9-12, 1:59pm
I mentioned in the Frugals thread that we decided against a "full-size" tree this year. In suffering sticker shock at the price of even tiny real trees, DW decided we could take fir boughs and arrange them creatively with red dogwood and ribbon and such. When she's done, I'll post a picture here. Two big bundles of boughs went for $10. It'll work for us.

catherine
12-9-12, 2:11pm
On a funny note, when we built onto our house, the builder said he actually had a customer who had him build a big closet onto the end of her living room, so she could just push the tree into the closet, lights, decorations and all after Christmas was over. That's sounding pretty good to me about now. haha

BTW, that is an amazing idea!

Tussiemussies
12-9-12, 2:39pm
We switched to a four foot tree and have it standing on a round table for the purpose. It is easy to put up and take down and reminds me of when I was a very little girl and this was what my Mom did wrapping brick brick faux paper around the bottom. In the 12 step program they always say to "keep it manageable" which I like to keep in the back of my mind. I enjoy this tree more than the larger ones!! You will find out what works for you!

cdttmm
12-9-12, 2:39pm

And I thought my mom was the only one to do this... She loves Christmas and loves decorating for Christmas. There is no way she will ever give up having a Christmas tree with lights and all of the antique glass ornaments she has spent years collecting. Her Christmas tree rolls in and out of a specially built closet fully decorated and ready to go the day after Thanksgiving. It totally cracks me up.

Tussiemussies
12-9-12, 2:40pm
Iris lily, I love the little corner of your house. Does your fireplace work?

CathyA
12-9-12, 3:43pm
Thanks everyone.
I got the tree up today, but I'm definitely going to look for a smaller one for next year. I'm sure we'll all get used to it, and life will be a little easier on me.
Also......I won't mind with some of the other decorations, since I won't be spending so much time on the big tree.
Thanks for all your suggestions.
Oh, and IL....those vases are gorgeous!

Rosemary
12-9-12, 3:59pm
We also do the smaller-tree-on-a-platform. We have an old end table that I disassemble after Christmas and put in a closet, and a 4.5 foot artificial tree. As a bonus, the cats love both the spaces between the lower branches and the table and the space under the table, which is partially sheltered by a holiday tablecloth that I use as a tree skirt. There is always a cat sleeping under the tree!

Giving the smaller tree this added height really makes it stand out more. My parents have gone to a 3' artificial tree, and my mother-in-law has a very small tree that she puts on her dining room sideboard - maybe 2' tall.

goldensmom
12-9-12, 5:12pm
--Birch branches with white lights.

Excellent idea. We trimmed a birch tree this summer and I kept some of the smaller branches. My husband wanted to put them on the burn pile but I rescued them thinkining they were so pretty I might use them somewhere. Now I will know how (not where yet) I will use them.

herbgeek
12-9-12, 5:42pm
I got rid of the big tree several years ago for a tabletop top one. I do take the ornaments off, but the lights stay on, I put a garbage bag goes on top, and into the attic it goes for the next year. I have candles in the window with sensors that have them go on at dusk, and a garland around the front door with twinkly lights, and 4 fake wreaths for the front windows. I have another strand of twinkly lights for the back door, aka the one we actually use. That's pretty much it. Hubby isn't into it, and I got tired of doing all the work.

JaneV2.0
12-9-12, 5:59pm
I particularly love your mantel, Iris Lily!

Put me on the list of those who think a closet tree is a brilliant idea. I'd put different ornaments on every year, I might even change out bulb colors, but the idea of having more than half of the work done is delightful to me. I have a 4" or so tree I got for ten dollars one year and a big trove of interesting ornaments to hang on it. I may just leave it undisturbed in the garage this year. An alternative to the closet tree could be to get a smallish artificial tree, decorate it, then carefully wrap it and store it after the holiday.

Tradd
12-9-12, 6:18pm
I have a 2ft tabletop tree I got at Target for $8 on sale. Was $11. Unlit. Got lights, ornaments, garland, sequined tree skirt even. Works very well

iris lily
12-9-12, 7:23pm
Iris lily, I love the little corner of your house. Does your fireplace work?

Yes, it is a wood burning fireplace that was re-built along with everything else in this house. If I were to do it again, I'd make a simple gas fireplace and the hearth wouldn't have to be rebuilt and the chimney would not have to be lined.

DH made the fireplace mantel, he's a carpenter.

Polliwog
12-10-12, 1:41pm
An alternative to a tree is a tall (6') ladder that has the same A-shape when opened. You can decorate with lights and put poinsettias on the steps. Of friend of mine did this and it was really beautiful and clever.

redfox
12-10-12, 1:42pm
I read this thread title again, and the phrase "Vacation in Mexico" is what popped into my head.. well, at least it isn't raining in Seattle today...

Wildflower
12-10-12, 11:17pm
My MIL used to take her big Christmas tree all decorated with lights and ornaments, and put two huge trash bag sacks over all of it the day after Christmas - then have my DH carry it down to the basement for her where it would stay until the following Christmas. She would then have him bring it back up the day after Thanksgiving every year, all ready to go! :) It worked for her!

Funny, we were putting up our big Christmas tree today (which I love) and DH suggested we do the same as his DM used to do... I'm still thinking about it - I kinda like putting the ornaments on differently every year though. LOL He thinks I'm a little crazy! ;)

Tradd
12-10-12, 11:38pm
My MIL used to take her big Christmas tree all decorated with lights and ornaments, and put two huge trash bag sacks over all of it the day after Christmas - then have my DH carry it down to the basement for her where it would stay until the following Christmas. She would then have him bring it back up the day after Thanksgiving every year, all ready to go! :) It worked for her!

Funny, we were putting up our big Christmas tree today (which I love) and DH suggested we do the same as his DM used to do... I'm still thinking about it - I kinda like putting the ornaments on differently every year though. LOL He thinks I'm a little crazy! ;)

My parents have done this for years! It at least prevents my dad with his huge feet from walking over the lights and breaking many as they're stretched out on the LR floor to test them. We were constantly replacing lights when I was a kid because he would never stay out of the way when the others of us were testing the lights.

CathyA
12-11-12, 7:08am
Redfox.......that's a GREAT idea for a christmas tree substitute!! :cool:

Weston
12-11-12, 9:51am
Not mine, but I think this frugal/multitasking solution is pretty awesome.

https://i.chzbgr.com/completestore/12/11/29/H1sqfhREZkWdGm8od0emgQ2.jpg

Miss Cellane
12-11-12, 10:15am
Thanks everyone.
I got the tree up today, but I'm definitely going to look for a smaller one for next year. I'm sure we'll all get used to it, and life will be a little easier on me.
Also......I won't mind with some of the other decorations, since I won't be spending so much time on the big tree.
Thanks for all your suggestions.
Oh, and IL....those vases are gorgeous!

Cathy, I think you will find that there have been some advances in fake tree technology. Most come with the branches on them now--you just have to put one or two sections together. A lot of trees come with the lights on them already, also saving time.

I had to switch to a fake tree a couple of years ago due to allergies. The tree comes in three sections--you just stick them together and plug the light strands in. All that's left to do is put the ornaments on. Cuts the decorating time in half, at least.

Another thought--you could always put the tree up and leave it bare. Then have decorating the tree be a new Christmas Eve Day family activity. It's always more fun to do stuff like that with other people.

Zoebird
12-11-12, 11:23pm
We are choosing between painting one on paper, or twining sticks together and then twining pine and pohutukawa branches on it. And probably some lavender too. it will be basically 2d rather than 3d, but he's pretty psyched about it. :)

AmeliaJane
12-12-12, 12:35am
I finally broke down and bought a fake tree this year. I really prefer fresh, but the job I will have for the foreseeable future is crazy around the holidays. I realized that the amount of time it takes to buy a fresh tree, get it home in my small sedan, wrestle it into the tree stand, clean up the house and car afterward, and then get it out to the curb is time that I would rather spend at family events or with my feet up. Maybe someday I will get to go back to a real tree, but for now, I would rather have a fake tree that I have time to put up every year than a fresh tree that I get around to once every five years or so. (I don't mind the decorating, it's the associated chores that bug me.) I will see if I can buy a tiny fresh tree to get that good fresh greens scent in the house...

JaneV2.0
12-12-12, 12:52am
I really am a tree hugger, as I can't stand killing one--basically keeping it on life support for a few weeks--than chucking it. Fake trees look fine to me, and I have plenty of cedar I can trim for that Christmas-y fragrance.

citrine
12-12-12, 9:10am
We have a fake tree that is pre-lit. I try to make some ornaments along with the ones we have.
BTW, Irislily....I absolutely love your fireplace and the mantel as well as the decorating :)

SteveinMN
12-12-12, 10:08am
Just to update to our reality, Christmas decorating expanded somewhat. The fir boughs we bought at the tree lot became outdoor decorations, arranged somewhat bush-like in containers and decorated with ribbon and garland and artificial berries. It looks nice! I'll have to take a picture a bit later. Inside we (okay, someone-who-isn't-me ;) ) chose to go with a Norfolk Pine which we have decorated with a couple of strands of our antique lights and as many of our lightest ornaments as we dared apply to the wispy branches. The pine is at least in a pot so it can go outside in the summer (Norfolks are annuals up here in Minnesota and this one was labeled "Grown in Florida" so I sense some culture shock coming on). Picture of that one once it gets dark again.