PDA

View Full Version : March of the Penguins?

CathyA
12-11-12, 1:54pm
I'm thinking of getting this DVD for a friend of mine who really enjoys nature. I got her "Planet Earth" awhile back and she loved it.
I've read a ton of reviews about this movie, and they go from spectacular to the worst, most boring movie ever made.
Just curious what you thought of it, if you've seen it.
Thanks!

Simplemind
12-11-12, 3:14pm
I thought it was very well done. I also loved Winged Migration which has a beautiful soundtrack. My DH wanted to poke his eyes out.

iris lily
12-11-12, 4:05pm
Oh oh oh! March of The Penguins is the MOST moving wildlife documentary EVER!

I've was weirdly affected by it and for weeks after would shuffle around the living room like a penquin, trying to imagine walking hundred miles those guys walk to get to the food source from the point they hatched the egg. And then when they tried to steal each other's eggs and babies--so sad.

This film is on my top 25 list.

Others to consider off the top of my head:

Meerkat Manor (tv series)

Story of the Weeping Camel (story about a Mongolian family and their herd of camels)

Wild Parrots of Telegraph Hill (about a flock of wild parrots who survive in San Franciso, a much cooler climate than their native habitat, and the vagabond man who watches over them)

Stella
12-11-12, 8:06pm
I cried like a little kid at that movie.

CathyA
12-11-12, 8:27pm
Thanks everyone. I went back to the store to buy it, and it was gone and they didn't have any more. I also checked another store and they didn't have it either. I could order it online, but wouldn't get it in time to send it when I wanted to. I'll try a few other stores, but I'm thinking it has to be bought online.
But I'll keep it in mind for her birthday in March.
I don't think I could stand to see the sad parts!

iris lily
12-11-12, 9:48pm
You can have Amazon send it directly to her house. But you probably know that.

CathyA
12-11-12, 9:54pm
Yeah, I know that. But I was sending her a package of stuff and wanted to include that. I think I'll try to find out if she has one, and then I might send it extra. Amazon used to send stuff really fast, but now it seems to take longer.

Square Peg
12-12-12, 3:20pm
I have nothing to add but this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xaPepCVepCg