PDA

View Full Version : Back to work update

herbgeek
12-19-12, 6:31am
I'm now in my third week at the new job, after 5 years away from corporate life.

The good: my spouse has really stepped up, in a way he's never done before, in keeping the household running. He always took care of laundry, but was happy to have me shop, cook and clean up. I feel that after 27 years of marriage, he is finally being a true partner.

The bad: the constant time crunch. I'm so regimented in how much time I allocate to each task to get everything done. ( I'm not a fan of regimentation.) I work at a company that does security software and our network is highly locked down, so I can't check mail and favorite web sites at lunchtime. I can't keep up with my usual on line reading, and so feel "behind". Of course, I was spending way too much time on line before due to my isolation at home, so in the long run this will be a good thing. I have to schedule and write down even the smallest task, or it will escape my radar.

What I was worried about that didn't happen: I was worried about keeping the household running, but as mentioned, my hubby has really stepped up. I was also worried about energy level being in my 50's, and used to being able to take the occasional afternoon nap when I didn't sleep well the night before. But I haven't found myself being sleepy at work. I think some of the daytime tiredness was also due to a lack of stimulation and interaction with people, and I have plenty of both now.

The best: first paycheck arriving Friday! This company is incredibly generous with benefits, and my health insurance will be almost free for me and spouse instead of $750/month. Its good to feel useful and productive again.

chrisgermany
12-19-12, 6:47am
Good news, congratulations. It will get easier soon.

Writing down each task is a great tool. David Allen's "Getting Things Done" might help you to build a system around that tool.

My mom returned to the workforce full time after many years as happy homemaker when my dad lost his job in their mid50s.
It was difficult, she had to sacrifice many things she did before but she continued with those hobbies that mattered most to her.
And she was soooo proud to get this job in difficult times.

catherine
12-19-12, 7:56am
That's great, herbgeek! Please keep us posted on the good, bad, ugly of going back to employment after self-employment.

Every now and then I play with the idea of going back to a "real job"--although I'm not sure I would get hired quickly (if at all) at my age. But my health insurance is double yours for DH and me, and every time a wrap a project up I look into the future where I can't see whether or not the jobs will keep coming. With the debt that I have, that's a scary proposition. Also, I do like the collegiality of the workplace.

So, going back to full-time work does have its advantages! Glad it's working out for you so far.. and how great that your DH is keeping the home fires burning for you!!

razz
12-19-12, 8:05am
You are doing well. Glad to hear that you are working things through slowly adjusting to the changes.

Tradd
12-19-12, 8:16am
Herbgeek, use you lunch hour to catch up on books! Take a book with you to work and you can read that way. Glad to hear it's going well.

Tussiemussies
12-19-12, 4:03pm
So glad to hear Herbgeek that things are adjusting for you and it seems you found a greater respect for your husband with all that he is doing for you. Isn't that just great! I'm in my 50's too and always wondered about my energy level so that is so great your energy is not an issue. Maybe I need tipi get out more...

ApatheticNoMore
12-19-12, 4:15pm
I work at a company that does security software and our network is highly locked down, so I can't check mail and favorite web sites at lunchtime. I can't keep up with my usual on line reading, and so feel "behind".

two words: smart phones. Oh I'm a bad influence I know :)

I sometimes think it's only caffeine and chocolate that keep my energy level above falling asleep at the desk, I'm always a little sleepy at work.

Tradd
12-19-12, 6:21pm
ANM, I thought the same thing about smart phones! Love mine! ;)