PDA

View Full Version : Simple Valentine's Day

Kat
2-13-11, 7:06pm
DH and I don't usually celebrate Valentine's Day. But I wanted to do something nice for him to show him how much I appreciate his picking up the slack around here lately.

So tomorrow I am getting dressed up (that's right--in actual clothes, not pjs :~) ) and making him his favorite dinner--shepherd's pie and french silk pie for dessert. And grape Kool Aid. I wrote him a letter, too, and drew a little zombie on it.

What are the rest of you doing?

iris lily
2-13-11, 8:01pm
What am I doing? I believe I'll show up at your house since a dinner of Shepard's pie and French silk choc pie would be in my top five fav meals. Thank you! I will wear red and hey, I won't stay long should you and the spouse wish to get cozy.:D

janharker
2-13-11, 8:27pm
Tonight I made an Oyster Pot Pie to go with the DH's favorite Rhubarb Pie. Tomorrow morning I'll cook him raspberry pancakes and bacon. I NEVER make him breakfast except this one day of the year. Raspberry because they're red. There must be something special for lunch but I don't at the moment remember what.

Sometime during the day a dozen roses will appear at the door. I could care less about the things, but he likes to do it, so that's good.

We will exchange greeting cards.

He is taking me out to an expensive dinner.

The dinner and roses are not frugal. But the value is in the joy it gives him to be able to do this for me. So I happily smell the roses and eat fine food. He doesn't have to have cereal for breakfast.

Hattie
2-13-11, 8:40pm
I am making lasagna and a giant heart shaped chocolate chip cookie. We exchange cards and that's about it. *S* Oh and I'll serve some red wine with dinner.

Rosemary
2-13-11, 8:46pm
I'm helping at DD's class party. I'll wear a red sweater. I'm making tacos for dinner, and DD & I will make a healthy chocolate cake in a heart-shaped pan my mom passed on to me a while ago. She usually likes to put sprinkles on top of the cake. We all made homemade valentines for each other, so we'll exchange those.

fidgiegirl
2-13-11, 8:57pm
I bought my DH a card and ordered him a Playstation 2 version of Madden 2008 off of Amazon. Spent about $10 total. He will get a kick out of it.

madgeylou
2-13-11, 8:59pm
right now my fella is cooking up some lobster ravioli with gorgonzola cream sauce. there are brownies, ice creams, and buckeyes for dessert. life is good!

sweetana3
2-14-11, 6:34am
Well, it is not romantic but a big group of friends is taking my hubby and I out to lunch at an inexpensive place to celebrate his birthday and as a result Valentine's Day.

goldensmom
2-14-11, 6:55am
In our household, Valentine's Day has always been a 'boy-treat-girl' day so my husband is taking me out to dinner tonight. Your mention of grape Kool Aid though makes me think a pitcher of cherry Kool Aid might be a fun thing to make for him as a taste of summer in the midst of winter. We will top the night off by watching an episode or 2 of 'Wind At My Back', currently our favorite DVD.

Kat
2-14-11, 9:25am
Come on over, Iris! haha :p

All these celebrations sound lovely!

Stella
2-14-11, 9:27am
All of you are inspiring me!

I am making Zach's favourite meal too. Meatloaf and garlic mashed potatoes. I might make a cake or cupcakes if I get around to it but I made a marshmallow mermaid pie with heart marshmallows on Froday so I may just call it good on the sweets.

The kids made Valentines for the neighbors so Zach will take them walking around the neighborhood to deliver them.

Zach buys me flowers every week and he has been working hard to get us moved into our newly finished bedroom tonight. That is a huge help in the romance category since we've been sleeping on a mattress in the living room for two weeks. It's so cute to see him so diligently preparing for our new baby. He is so exited he's almost giddy. I love that he is just as excited about our fourth baby as he was about our first.

He's a very romantic guy. He's always doing some little thing to show me affection.

rosarugosa
2-14-11, 10:06am
I took the day off so DH & I could spend it together. Heart-shaped cornmeal waffles with maple syrup for breakfast! :)

redfox
2-14-11, 10:22am
Making a lovely dinner for my DH, who has been ill for a month with walking pneumonia. He's just getting his energy back, so we'll celebrate that too.

Kat
2-14-11, 11:26am
@stella--I am SO EXCITED for you to get moved in to your new bedroom. I know the remodel has taken awhile, but I am sure it will be worth it!
@ redfox--hope your DH starts feeling better soon!

ljevtich
2-14-11, 12:04pm
We are doing what we love to do: go for a Hike! But what makes this day extra cool is that my parents have come visiting (from Williamsburg, VA!) and they will go on the hike too. We plan on hiking to Liberty Bell Arch, which if you looked at it upside down, it would look like a heart.

It will get our hearts racing in a great way. And afterwards, we will go out (with the folks) to a tasty buffet (each person is $8.99!)

Greg44
2-14-11, 12:47pm
DW had specific chocolates requested from See's Candy (West Coast thing) - package all hand picked and wrapped - two Hallmark cards (because I care to send the very best - I think that is how their ad goes)!

Hmm besides that not sure what else...she isn't a big Valentine's Day person. She thinks it has turned into to much of a
"adult" holiday.

herbgeek
2-14-11, 1:23pm
This morning we exchanged handmade cards. I also decorated the car with a heart mobile hung from the rear view mirror made from pipe cleaners, left a "note" on the dashboard made with conversation hearts and made him a mix CD for the commute (courtesy of Amazon, who had a free offer over the weekend). tonight I'm making a butternut squash tart, in the shape of a heart, and probably mini heart shaped cheesecakes with cherries.

Bastelmutti
2-14-11, 1:27pm
DH left the girls and me some small gifts this morning, incl. chocolate. We're ordering pizza for his b-day, so I'm setting a nice table, printed out a b-day banner and will put some wine and V-Day decorations on the table. That's about it!

Stella
2-14-11, 1:39pm
Thanks Kat! Bastelmutti, where did you find the Valentine's Day banner?

frugal-one
2-14-11, 2:08pm
In our household, Valentine's Day has always been a 'boy-treat-girl' day so my husband is taking me out to dinner tonight. Your mention of grape Kool Aid though makes me think a pitcher of cherry Kool Aid might be a fun thing to make for him as a taste of summer in the midst of winter. We will top the night off by watching an episode or 2 of 'Wind At My Back', currently our favorite DVD.

Wind at My Back is my current favorite too. I will be sad when it ends!

T-Bone steaks and the trimmings for dinner. We do stuff for each other all the time so VD is nothing too special.

Merski
2-14-11, 3:31pm
Made some easy chocolate fudge that was posted on the old simple living food board for DMIL. She loves fudge and I made it without nuts because she's got bad teeth. We're not celebrating valentine's day. Bah humbug!

CathyA
2-14-11, 4:13pm
Not doing much. DH and I swore we wouldn't buy each other anything. Too many bills to spend that money on! I'm getting some broth out of the freezer that I made a few weeks ago that has onions and tomatoes in it, and I'm adding cheese tortellini and lots of spinach to it. Its great. I bought some cheap french bread, and I made a small flourless chocolate cake for desert.

redfox
2-14-11, 7:29pm
DH came home early from work, so instead of cooking I went to the coop and bought an already made cherry pie & some coconut ice cream! We'll also have salmon, rice, mixed greens and some bubbly tonight, all by candle light. And of course dessert... it was a $15 splurge, woo-hoo!

redfox
2-15-11, 12:25am
Well, DH is feeling much better, and dinner was a smash hit. Wild salmon broiled with a lime cilantro pesto crust, cold black bean & corn salad, wild greens with pears & walnuts, brown rice tossed with pesto, a dry brut, and tart cherry pie with vanilla ice cream for dessert; all by candlelight. Oh yumm. The coop made the brut, pie, ice cream, pesto, & cold salad. I was so very happy for that help!

We sat by the fire as we ate our pie & ice cream, and just enjoyed being together. He was super surprised, and felt loved and seen. I really enjoyed doing this, as he's a much better cook than I, and usually the one to put on special dinners. And, I cleaned the house really well this afternoon, so it all felt calm & peaceful.

Bastelmutti
2-15-11, 1:23am
Thanks Kat! Bastelmutti, where did you find the Valentine's Day banner?

Hey, Stella - It was actually a b-day banner for my DH along these lines
"http://tomkatstudio.blogspot.com/2009/08/birthday-parties-cutest-happy-birthday.html

But I usually find stuff like that by searching for "printable XYZ" - for a certain aesthetic I like for some stuff, the Martha Stewart site has good printables and ideas, too.

PS In my description forgot to add that I made giant butterscotch chip cookies for dessert!

Blackdog Lin
2-15-11, 11:22am
We realized we don't need to spend money for Valentine's Day (I made DH promise me he WOULDN'T). So he wrote me a nice note (with drawn hearts and everything) on the kitchen chalkboard, and I made him a special luncheon of shrimp-and-veggie tempura - all it cost us was about $4.00 for the fresh produce. A tablecloth and candles too, to make it a little special for us.

CatsNK
2-15-11, 1:39pm
I admit it - we went out to eat. We eat out about 2x/year so it's really a special occasion. We went to a fish fry joint that's been around over 65 years - it's like a diner. It was lovely - very uncrowded and we ran into a friend we hadn't seen in over a year. I think my DBF was shocked that I agreed to eat out since I'm generally staunchly opposed to the idea. :)

lucy
2-15-11, 2:27pm
My husband and I are both crazy-busy with work right now - I am writing final evaluations for a college course I'm teaching. We have set a date to go out for lunch next week, during reading week. Is it bad that we're going to use a gift care I received for doing some volunteer work??

mira
2-15-11, 2:53pm
Valentine's day just makes me cringe, so I request that we don't celebrate it. I'd rather we just did something nice on any other given day.

Anne Lee
2-15-11, 4:36pm
We had a glass of wine with dinner, a long pillow talk session and... well, you know.

redfox
2-15-11, 8:51pm
My husband and I are both crazy-busy with work right now - I am writing final evaluations for a college course I'm teaching. We have set a date to go out for lunch next week, during reading week. Is it bad that we're going to use a gift care I received for doing some volunteer work??

Of course not! It's a great use of that card. Enjoy.