PDA

View Full Version : Holiday silliness

Blackdog Lin
12-20-12, 6:38pm
I just got through wrapping my own Christmas gift to put under the tree - and in retrospect it seems pretty silly, but I did it anyway. :)

After 35.....nope, 36 years of marriage, with a DH who doesn't like Holiday hoopla anyway, he most years has a hard time thinking of what to put under the tree for me. Anymore I just make it easy for him. This year I need nice sneakers for our trip this spring, ordered 'em, and the box has been sitting in the dining room for days.

I decided this evening "I want to open a gift on Christmas morning", so I dug out nice paper, TWO colors of curling ribbon even, and now have the prettiest gift under the tree. I WILL be surprised opening it, since I didn't open the shoebox: are they as cute as they looked? are they awesomely comfortable? will they fit?

Silly.....but sitting here looking at my pretty present under the tree and I feel good. Yep, good.....and silly.

KayLR
12-20-12, 7:40pm
Ni-i-i-ice!!! Good for you! Do what ya need to do to enjoy your Christmas!

Tussiemussies
12-20-12, 8:14pm
I would do the same thing. I enjoy getting presents on Christmas so If my husband wasn't into doing it, I too would find a way to give myself something! Good for you.

pinkytoe
12-21-12, 9:20am
I think it's the little kid in us that still likes to open a present or two. DD knows I like a local jeweler's designs so every year she asks me which piece I would like. It is so much fun to open up that little box even though I know what's inside.

goldensmom
12-21-12, 10:06am
Totally appropriate. Do it again for your birthday, Valentines Day, St. Patrick's Day, etc. etc..

Gregg
12-21-12, 10:12am
...sitting here looking at my pretty present under the tree and I feel good.

Then it is perfect.

iris lily
12-21-12, 11:23am
I just got through wrapping my own Christmas gift to put under the tree - and in retrospect it seems pretty silly, but I did it anyway. :)

I think that's great! DH is good at giving presents but you know what? The guy is only inspired about once every 5 years. And I think that is perfectly fine! I do not expect a great present for every birthday, anniversary, Xmas. This year I picked out my own, a piece of (inexpensive from-the-mall) diamond jewelry, a wrap for my engagement ring. The number of times either of us have purchased fine jewelry in the past 25 years is: maybe 1 other time.

Once, many many years ago I asked for solid gold earrings for Xams, but those promptly broke (they are so bendable! WTH! How do people actually LIVE with these flimsy things?) so I continue to wear costume jewelry earrings.

Bottom line: sometimes we need to buy our own presents and that is all just fine. I had a diamond itch to scratch, scratched it and got the perfect thing. DH would not have been able to figure this one out.

redfox
12-21-12, 11:34am
Our Winter Solstice altar has gifts on it... We open them tomorrow morning with our two young adult kids. Then, they go to their mom's house for christmas. Tough luck having two gifting days in Dec.! We've always kept it modest for them, and this year is no exception. Mostly very practical gifts; clothing, tools, etc. I did get DH a rather pricey bottle of locally concocted absinthe, however... For when the kids have gone!

frugal-one
12-23-12, 5:01pm
This is the first time I have asked DH to do an exchange. Situation has changed this year and neither of us would have had a gift to open otherwise. I don't know why but it made me especially sad this year. I really dislike Christmas and every year am happy when the holidays are over.