PDA

View Full Version : Happy Solstice!

ApatheticNoMore
12-21-12, 2:15pm
I am so looking forward to longer days ...

freein05
12-21-12, 2:23pm
I am also looking forward to the longer days. We live in the forest and don't get much sun in the summer and this time of the year we get almost no sun.

We are now preparing for the winter storms coming in this weekend. They say we could get 2 feet of snow.

Merry Christmas

Laser_Cat
12-21-12, 2:31pm
Happy Solstice!! I'm also looking forward to the return of the sun!

JaneV2.0
12-21-12, 2:36pm
I'm still looking for those fireballs, but in the meantime--Happy brand new 14th Baktun! I'm going to celebrate with some Mayan hot chocolate.

Spartana
12-21-12, 3:02pm
I am also looking forward to the longer days. We live in the forest and don't get much sun in the summer and this time of the year we get almost no sun.

We are now preparing for the winter storms coming in this weekend. They say we could get 2 feet of snow.

Merry Christmas

I had to cancel a ski trip and Christmas visit to Mammoth and Tahoe because of that weather. I love the snow and cold but driving in it - or skiing in it - is terrible. But nice to know that the end of the world didn't happen (or is that tonight?) so I will live to ski another day :-)! Happy Holidays everyone!!

bunnys
12-21-12, 3:29pm
I think you can pretty much rest easy that we're safe. It's 3:38 here on the East Coast and most of the world now is tomorrow and it didn't end for them so I think we're all ok.

Gregg
12-21-12, 3:31pm
With the world ending I completely forgot about the solstice! LONGER DAYS....WOOOO HOOOO!!!

catherine
12-21-12, 3:45pm
With the world ending I completely forgot about the solstice! LONGER DAYS....WOOOO HOOOO!!!

haha!! Yes, I'm so glad we've turned the corner on dark days/nights from 4:30pm-7am! But I guess even long, dark days beat a meteor slamming into the planet or the north pole suddenly shifting.

ApatheticNoMore
12-21-12, 3:48pm
I was still kind of hoping for alien rescue ....

freein05
12-21-12, 3:56pm
I had to cancel a ski trip and Christmas visit to Mammoth and Tahoe because of that weather. I love the snow and cold but driving in it - or skiing in it - is terrible. But nice to know that the end of the world didn't happen (or is that tonight?) so I will live to ski another day :-)! Happy Holidays everyone!!

We live in the Sierras on hwy 4 near Bear Valley ski area. Yesterday was opening day for them and from all the traffic going up the hill it must have been busy. Skiing was also free on opening day. They say we could get 2 feet of snow out of this storm.

Lainey
12-21-12, 3:58pm
Discovery Channel is having an "end of days" marathon. A mix of stories - some real scientific fact and some internet rumors and some New Age stuff.

One church here in Phx is having a drumming circle tonight - now that's a fun way to celebrate Solstice!

Wildflower
12-22-12, 3:51am
We made it! The world didn't end! ;) Happy day after Solstice and here's to longer days of sunlight cometh!

dado potato
12-22-12, 7:54am
Wassail!

I had my quota of pickled herring last night, and delighted in the closing of the family circle with our daughter and granddaughter (age 3). I enjoyed a CD "On Yoolis Night - medieval carols & motets" (English, from 13th through the 15th centuries)

"...Now man may to heuen wende;
now heuen and erthe to hym they bende,
he that was foe now is oure frende;
this is no nay that I thee telle,
Nowel."

HappyHiker
12-22-12, 8:43pm
And Happy Solstice to You! I wonder if you might enjoy this reflective piece I wrote about the Solstice and the Holidays:

http://vibrantvillage.com/2012/12/12/stay-close-soon-comes-the-light/