PDA

View Full Version : Tossing crap

iris lily
2-13-11, 8:57pm
In our kitchen repainting job I had to move each and every d*mn thing out of each cabinet. Well, I tossed a lot of things then, but now, today, putting them back , I am letting go of more crap:

1) Red Chinese pattern dishes that we hauled home from China. We are idiots. This is the kind of thing that I could buy at Chinese restaruant supply houses or in China towns, and now, of course, on the internet. That was 23 years ago. I have used them 2 times. Time to go!!!

2) I had this brilliant idea for my "good" dishes: get rid of the coffee cups and saucers since they are awkward to store. Trade them in for more appetizer plates and a couple of dinner plates. We use the appetizer plates failry often, they are so handy.Brilliant I tell you!!!! We will get simple white china mugs to use for both every day use AND for the rare occasions where I use the good china and wish to serve coffee in fairly nice containers. We have a china replacement palce here that does business all over the country and so I trade in stuff with them. Love them.

Let me just say that I've been getting a handle on my china addiction in the past few years and have been able to let go of several things to par down to 3 main sets.

3) Today I gave up the fantasy that I will ever be a baker and I offered a few cake pans to our neighborhood.

4) Let's be realistic: wine has an important role in my life. So today I assigned wine accoutrements to a separate drawer right under the wine rack. It's no longer a messy area. Wine has its own assigned space and that is right and good with the world. I have 2 serious modern wine openers, 1 antique one from England, and 3 cheapo ones that I can take anywhere and lose, no problem. I am more than a little reminded of the paraphenalia that heroin addicts have for their habit. There is a ritual with getting high, setting out the equipment.

iris lily
2-13-11, 9:01pm
Let me also add that I love this neighborhood because only here people share my addiciton for things like antique dinnerware.

A few weeks ago we went to dinner at a neighbor's house and I peered into his china cabinet full of antique Czec glass and recognized finger bowls. Now, how many of y our would recongize finer bowls!!!? Be honest here. And it is the man of the house who is into this stuff.

How many of you HAVE finger bowls???? I do not. But you will be my fast friend if you have some.

bae
2-13-11, 9:08pm
How many of you HAVE finger bowls???? I do not. But you will be my fast friend if you have some.

I will confess to it. Also to fish forks, fish knives, aspic servers, and all sorts of impedimentia.

That said, it's not my fault! My father-in-law keeps getting us all this wacky stuff, to match the china and silver we will inherit from him. He's been at this 30 years now. The good news is we convinced him ages ago to keep it all at his stately home, so it will get some use in the meantime, and be appreciated.

We still use the boring stainless steel stuff we got when we got out of college, and some deeply discounted plates from a Macy's basement sale about the same time. And a million coffee mugs from places we've worked, and convention swag.

redfox
2-13-11, 11:39pm
No finger bowls - but plenty of vintage Fiesta, Harlequin, Bauer, Franciscan & Metlox. And the occasional Russell Wright, Oneida, etc. I love American pottery.

loosechickens
2-13-11, 11:42pm
no finger bowls here......and I doubt that many living in motorhomes could be found with them, but probably there are a few.....but I do recognize them when I see them, and have eaten in homes where they were used, regularly, in a previous life. Always made quite good sense to me, and there have been times (especially in dark restaurants) where I've been known to sneak a corner of my cloth napkin into my water glass for the same purpose, more plebian, but just as useful.

redfox
2-13-11, 11:47pm
Trying to upload photos... no success! Any hints?

iris lily
2-14-11, 12:01am
I will confess to it. Also to fish forks, fish knives, aspic servers, and all sorts of impedimentia.

That said, it's not my fault! My father-in-law keeps getting us all this wacky stuff, to match the china and silver we will inherit from him. He's been at this 30 years now. The good news is we convinced him ages ago to keep it all at his stately home, so it will get some use in the meantime, and be appreciated.

We still use the boring stainless steel stuff we got when we got out of college, and some deeply discounted plates from a Macy's basement sale about the same time. And a million coffee mugs from places we've worked, and convention swag.
good for you! So now I feel that I must acquire finger bowls and here is one I am lusting after:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Antique-French-Crystal-Finger-Bowl-Gold-Encrusted-/150472588453?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2308dd7ca5[B]

But I think it is cool to offer small heated washclothes after the main course. They can be easily heated up in the microwave and passed around with silver tongs. Loose that would be easy for RVers to do, no extra crap to store.

Gina
2-14-11, 12:06am
So much for 'the simple life', lol.

iris lily
2-14-11, 12:14am
So much for 'the simple life', lol.

We never said life had to be without adequate hand cleansing between courses!

Gina
2-14-11, 12:18am
We never said life had to be without adequate hand cleansing between courses!

I rest my case. ;)

(I've got too much 'crap' too.)

Mrs-M
2-14-11, 6:33am
I'm loving reading about everyone's stuff! Several years ago I went through the cupboards (spring cleaning) and purged them of all "single/oddball/match nothing" mugs and tumblers and things. Such a freeing and liberating feeling it was to send that box-full of goodies off to the thrift store! Never owned finger bowls in my lifetime.

Iris. That finger bowl is gorgeous!

sweetana3
2-14-11, 6:42am
After having to move across country twice and now living in a smaller space, I finally figured out we have too much crap. Also after running out of room everywhere including the basement and every square inch of every closet, I got it. I am going thru each and every space and trying to get rid of excess. Very very hard. (it was much easier when husband was gone to visit his parents)

So far there is one car full is gone and really no space looks less full. So I am doing the second pass. I have stacks for the charity group, stitching group, thrift shop and several other places.

We use only one set of white dishes. But have a whole wall of totes full of vintage Fiesta. Used the plates for years but they ended up to heavy for everyday.

Fawn
2-14-11, 7:14am
good for you! So now I feel that I must acquire finger bowls and here is one I am lusting after:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Antique-French-Crystal-Finger-Bowl-Gold-Encrusted-/150472588453?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2308dd7ca5[B]

But I think it is cool to offer small heated washclothes after the main course. They can be easily heated up in the microwave and passed around with silver tongs. Loose that would be easy for RVers to do, no extra crap to store.

Well except for the silver tongs. That would be extra crap in MY RV.:~)

Anne Lee
2-14-11, 9:27am
I'm curious about the Wine Opener You Love that now has its own drawer.

loosechickens
2-14-11, 12:26pm
yeah, fawn.....first you have to find a place for the extra washcloths, THEN you have to find a place for the tongs....hahahaha.....

no kidding, though, Iris Lily.....that would be a nice idea. I vaguely remember eating in a restaurant years ago, (maybe a BBQ place?) where they brought around warm, wet washcloths at the end of the meal.

fidgiegirl
2-14-11, 6:39pm
impedimentia

The best new word I've heard in a while!!!

iris lily
2-14-11, 10:29pm
I'm curious about the Wine Opener You Love that now has its own drawer.

It's the most excellent one I have ever had. It's the latest model of The Rabbit:

http://www.beveragefactory.com/wine/wineopeners/lever/metrokane_vertical_rabbit_corkscrew.shtml

Greg44
2-15-11, 10:20am
I find I have to S L O W L Y and discreetly make stuff disappear. My mother gave us 24 glass dessert dishes. We have "Christmas" mugs and glasses, except we forget to get them out each year...I counted 5+ spatulas, 5 sets of measuring spoons, a whole stack of pie/cake pans, a pizza stone we have used once in 30 years, etc.

AND a whole shelf of mugs, all that have a special meaning. I tried one day to ditch a couple -- just so they would all fit. It was a MAJOR event. We had to discuss each one, who gave it to who, would they be upset if we tossed it? etc. etc. I think we finally got rid of two.

loosechickens
2-15-11, 1:08pm
My sweetie has lots of "packrat" tendencies.......I am the Queen of making things S L O W L Y and discreetly disappear, almost all of which he never misses or asks about. The few he does, I say "where did you leave it?", and of course, he doesn't know........

Actually, he knows that I do this, and it relieves him, because when HE has to make the decision, he goes into "tilt" mode, but if it's done by me, he's not to blame in case we "hit hard times and really need that item"..... hahahahaha

iris lily
2-15-11, 11:35pm
I make things slowly disappear, too. I can't imagine living with DH in an RV, he'd drive me batty quickly with his focus on keeping everything. In nice orderly piles.

And then, there are the quick purges. When he goes out of town I've purged the mugs shelf, the plastic food continer shelf, the glass bottle shelf, etc. He will not accept that we have only this much space from here [ .....] to there [......] and there can be no overflow. His closet is the same way with clothing not worn in 20 years. While I can slowly rid the closet of shirts and the like, his suits that have not been worn for 23+ years would be notcied if gone, so there they sit.

TMC
2-23-11, 7:34am
Purging of crap......we have spent all week doing this.....what a lovely freeing feeling. DH and I are finishing the basement and doing everything ourselves. We have been getting rid of some things I so regret ever bringing into the house in the first place. Mostly crap we bought when the kids were little, too many toys, plastic doll junk, lots of cheap wooden shelves and bins to store the crap, overabundance is clearly a problem for us. Than we have the stuff we are gifted, candy dishes, knicky knacks, old furniture, my aunt gave me a whole box of old cookbooks. Now I do so enjoy cookbooks, but I pulled out the good ones to save and need to give myself permission to get rid of the rest.

Work in progress......getting there though.

I will say though I will never give up my dishes.......

iris lily
2-23-11, 8:27am
...Work in progress......getting there though.

I will say though I will never give up my dishes.......

yes, you will, my friend, but only when you are ready.

--iris lily, recovering chinaware addict (I've purged 5 sets and am down to 3)

Selah
3-17-11, 4:35pm
I don't have finger bowls now and have never had them. I do have a set of six little fancy silver spoons that look to be about 100+ years old, which I use when serving Turkish coffee. We got rid of my thrift-store second-hand Noritake china in the last move and got boring white stuff from Target, which DH adores but I find quite monotonous. But since he moved into my place originally and was stuck with using all of my old stuff, this move we agreed it would be his turn to choose stuff. We are moving overseas in about a year, and I will try to convince him to not pay to have this stuff shipped!

19Sandy
3-31-17, 10:34pm
Six more years of organizing!

iris lilies
4-1-17, 10:21am
But the real question is: has anyone acquired, or jettisoned, finger bowls in these past 6 years?

Zoe Girl
4-1-17, 10:43am
I have not acquired finger bowls. My son is a foodie so we have acquired many kitchen items. We do use them all, except the vitamix that his dad gave to him. I wish we could get rid of that.

Reading over the posts 6 years ago I got inspired to look through my kitchen. Not bad, too many BBQ sauces. I do bake however and have everything for that.

JaneV2.0
4-1-17, 10:58am
I don't have any crap--well maybe that old wool blanket with the shredded binding--but I have more than enough. I always have a donation pile going, though, so there is a churn in progress. Plus bags for the food bins.

(I can't imagine wanting to get rid of a Vitamix--you won't have any trouble finding a home for it!)

Tybee
4-1-17, 11:03am
I have not acquired finger bowls. I have acquired much awesome china, including two kinds of Midwinter from the70-s, some shenango plates too nice to pass up, and now just yesterday, I found a pattern that I had when I was first married--I had only a few pieces of it, and somehow, I let it go at a garage sale. I have decided it will be my "good" china when we move and have family over for Christmas dinner. I loved this pattern and it was eerie to see it again and I thought oh hell, why not. Here it is:
https://tse2.mm.bing.net/th?id=OIP.4RBQ32MwKk_wPaU2wRthOQEsEs&w=198&h=192&c=7&qlt=90&o=4&pid=1.7

So I am definitely going in the opposite direction here, IL. I am so impressed you could get rid of 5 different sets of china. I seem to have acquired that many in the past six years.

Unfortunately, I really, really love china.

iris lilies
4-1-17, 11:13am
Oh I still love China and dinnerware, sadly. In the years since I carefully pitched lots of stuff, I have built up a basement full of flower show stuff that includes some China pieces. But in my mind the difference between my basement stuff and the stuff from the 2011- purge is this: I can get rid of basement stuff in one week. It can all go to local garden club ladies, I Would just fling open he basement door and say "go get it." What is left can be thrown away and some of that even composted.

My purges from 6+ years ago took more time for which to responsibly find a home.

Tybee, Your little tea cup is a charming pattern. It looks Irish, or eastern Euopean to me.

Tybee
4-1-17, 11:31am
It's an old Johnson Brothers pattern from 65-74. I thought that was surprising, too.

Zoe Girl
4-1-17, 12:53pm
I
(I can't imagine wanting to get rid of a Vitamix--you won't have any trouble finding a home for it!)

We already have a good blender and a stand mixer and 2 crock pots and a rice cooker. My son has literally used it once. Plus we end up the dumping ground for everyone in the family because we are 'poor' instead of intentionally simple living.

ApatheticNoMore
4-1-17, 2:10pm
Well if one has collector traits, and one keeps losing against them one could also just surrender to them a bit, and say "ok I have more fancy bowls or whatever than is practical for what I really need", and just display them nicely so one can look at them and admire. But one should draw the line at having more than 2-3 things maximum they collect probably (and then yea go ahead and display them). And if stuff is in basements and in the way back of closets and stuff it's clearly not even being admired, so bring it out to look at more at least even if nothing else at least get visual USE out of it ... or get rid of it. :laff:

Truthfully I also recommend avoiding thrift shops if one has collector traits, those places are really dangerous they stimulate collector traits really badly IMO with their hit and miss hidden treasures aspect.

IshbelRobertson
4-1-17, 2:29pm
In my kitchen and pantry I admit to owning

Finger bowls
Fish knives
A large Victorian silver fish slice
Egg coddlers x 6
Georgian silver meat skewers. These are BLUNT and flat... They would be fine if I was roasting HENRY VIII sized lumps of meAT, otherwise useless!
Silver carving knife, for and sharpening steel

6 silver toast racks, small for breakfast trays, for when the servants serve guests their breakfast in their rooms (yeah, right!)
3 larger racks for the dining table.
Silver cruets x 3
Silver sugar casters x 6. I onlu ever use 1 for strawberries!
12 silver sugar nips
3 silver grape scissors
2 x 12 settings of silver cutlery in their own boxes, one of which is a piece of dining room furniture!

Most of this is family pieces handed down by earlier generations, which noone else seems to want, but protest when I threaten to sell it. The egg coddlers were wedding presents. Really pretty, but I can't remember the last time I coddled an egg!

iris lily
4-1-17, 2:46pm
In my kitchen and pantry I admit to owning

Finger bowls
Fish knives
A large Victorian silver fish slice
Egg coddlers x 6
Georgian silver meat skewers. These are BLUNT and flat... They would be fine if I was roasting HENRY VIII sized lumps of meAT, otherwise useless!
Silver carving knife, for and sharpening steel

6 silver toast racks, small for breakfast trays, for when the servants serve guests their breakfast in their rooms (yeah, right!)
3 larger racks for the dining table.
Silver cruets x 3
Silver sugar casters x 6. I onlu ever use 1 for strawberries!
12 silver sugar nips
3 silver grape scissors
2 x 12 settings of silver cutlery in their own boxes, one of which is a piece of dining room furniture!

Most of this is family pieces handed down by earlier generations, which noone else seems to want, but protest when I threaten to sell it. The egg coddlers were wedding presents. Really pretty, but I can't remember the last time I coddled an egg!

I love the sound of these. I love silver.

Sadly, I am bourgeoiese and I have to buy my antique silver.;)

JaneV2.0
4-1-17, 3:09pm
Egg coddlers! I've always wanted to try coddled eggs; I imagine they're something like poached?

bae
4-1-17, 3:27pm
I've been helping my father-in-law get settled into hospice care at home this last week. He handed me a single sheet of paper detailing which family me,beers got which pieces of furniture and which artwork. And a specific instruction "everything else, hire a dumpster. Here's the number of the dumpster folks!"

He's totally my decluttering hero.

catherine
4-1-17, 3:38pm
No finger bowls here!

But I waver on my wedding china: do I sell to Replacements.com or keep until we've had 3 Thanksgivings in a row at one of my kids' houses? I literally use this china once a year. And I'm not even crazy about it. It's a floral pattern (Lenox's Morning Blossom), and as my DH has told me, chefs will never plate their food on floral china because it takes away from the presentation. I don't have a hutch, so it's not even serving a decorative purpose.

Then there's my MILs china, which BIL has been boxing up in anticipation of the Big Move. I like my grandmother-in-law's china better than mine, so maybe I sell mine to Replacements and keep Grandma's for 3 years.

My MIL bought us Waterford Lismore crystal for our wedding and I used it literally ONCE, and then was so afraid it was going to be smashed when DHs rowdy friends came over I boxed it up, never to see it again for almost 40 years.

I did buy a couple of odd sized plates at yard sales over the years--a great Dansk salad plate set for instance, and I really love it. But I'm done with fancy china.

jp1
4-1-17, 3:48pm
But the real question is: has anyone acquired, or jettisoned, finger bowls in these past 6 years?

We have not acquired finger bowls during this time. However, I was not aware of the existence of finger bowl until about 5 minutes ago. I suspect that the little mini dessert bowls that we use for ice cream, pre-dinner dinner party nuts for people to munch on, and for the little fillings on taco night (salsa, sour cream, etc) are in fact finger bowls that we are misusing. I'm now imaging our friends, going home from dinner at our house saying "can you even believe what JP and SO use finger bowls for???"

iris lilies
4-1-17, 4:50pm
We have not acquired finger bowls during this time. However, I was not aware of the existence of finger bowl until about 5 minutes ago. I suspect that the little mini dessert bowls that we use for ice cream, pre-dinner dinner party nuts for people to munch on, and for the little fillings on taco night (salsa, sour cream, etc) are in fact finger bowls that we are misusing. I'm now imaging our friends, going home from dinner at our house saying "can you even believe what JP and SO use finger bowls for???"
Plebs. You are just plebs.

There ARE actual nut bowls so try to get it right. I don't know about sour cream, but there is a proper mayonnaise server. With ice cream, you use forks. :):):)

iris lilies
4-1-17, 4:51pm
No finger bowls here!

But I waver on my wedding china: do I sell to Replacements.com or keep until we've had 3 Thanksgivings in a row at one of my kids' houses? I literally use this china once a year. And I'm not even crazy about it. It's a floral pattern (Lenox's Morning Blossom), and as my DH has told me, chefs will never plate their food on floral china because it takes away from the presentation. I don't have a hutch, so it's not even serving a decorative purpose.

Then there's my MILs china, which BIL has been boxing up in anticipation of the Big Move. I like my grandmother-in-law's china better than mine, so maybe I sell mine to Replacements and keep Grandma's for 3 years.

My MIL bought us Waterford Lismore crystal for our wedding and I used it literally ONCE, and then was so afraid it was going to be smashed when DHs rowdy friends came over I boxed it up, never to see it again for almost 40 years.

I did buy a couple of odd sized plates at yard sales over the years--a great Dansk salad plate set for instance, and I really love it. But I'm done with fancy china.
I wouldn't move anything I don't love.

IshbelRobertson
4-1-17, 5:27pm
Egg coddlers! I've always wanted to try coddled eggs; I imagine they're something like poached?

Jane
Mine are Royal Worcester china. Here's a link. royal worcester egg coddler

Yes, they are sort of poached!

IshbelRobertson
4-1-17, 5:34pm
I love the sound of these. I love silver.

Sadly, I am bourgeoiese and I have to buy my antique silver.;)

I buy lots of silver.... Snuff boxes, vinaigrettes and other small stuff! I'm lucky to have inherited lots, too!

pinkytoe
4-1-17, 6:15pm
It's funny but when we moved last fall, we got rid of 3/4 of our belongings and there were actually a few finger bowls among the stuff. I used to buy/sell antiques and collectibles long before ebay so there were all kinds of oddities to dispose of. Luckily, my neighbor ran estate sales as his livelihood, took it all and sent me a nice check afterwards. I am now trying to be careful not to re-acquire stuff but it takes great strenth to resist when I go to the thrift store. In some other life, I would have a kitchen store full of unusual and beautiful kitchenware. That being said, I could not let go of my anthropomorphic salt and pepper shakers - 75 pair. And then, yesterday I was at the phone store and right by the dumpster someone had set a 1950s cookie jar in perfect shape. Of course, I took it home...

jp1
4-2-17, 10:00am
Plebs. You are just plebs.

There ARE actual nut bowls so try to get it right. I don't know about sour cream, but there is a proper mayonnaise server. With ice cream, you use forks. :):):)

I assume the nutbowl is the one that is divided into three sections? We've never used it. That would be perfect for taco night!

iris lily
4-2-17, 10:18am
Nut bowls are about 3 inches in diameter and they are individual. You can't buy nut bowls as part of modern china sets, but you can buy small bowls that mimic them at Pier 1 or World Market or Williams Sonoma or etc. they are sauce bowls.

When someone says "nut bowls" I think of these:

jp1
4-2-17, 11:27am
So, maybe my finger bowls are actually nutbowls. They look awfully similar. If not for nuts, what is the 3 section piece for? (I've included a fullsize dinner plate for size reference.)

http://i1048.photobucket.com/albums/s363/jpatter492/2017-04-02%2008.21.00_zpscsp3cq2h.jpg

iris lilies
4-2-17, 12:15pm
So, maybe my finger bowls are actually nutbowls. They look awfully similar. If not for nuts, what is the 3 section piece for? (I've included a fullsize dinner plate for size reference.)

http://i1048.photobucket.com/albums/s363/jpatter492/2017-04-02%2008.21.00_zpscsp3cq2h.jpg
I have no idea, those items are two or three generations after my sphere of knowledge.

What at did they eat in the 60's that required a divided bowl? How many of the small bowls ere there, one for each person, or one per set?

The drinks ware from the 60's is elaborate and very interesting g, all of those cocktail shakers and portable bars and etc.

Cool dinnerware.

JaneV2.0
4-2-17, 12:19pm
Jane
Mine are Royal Worcester china. Here's a link. royal worcester egg coddler

Yes, they are sort of poached!

I like the Royal Worcester peach design, particularly.

JaneV2.0
4-2-17, 12:19pm
Divided dish--olives?

jp1
4-2-17, 12:24pm
I have no idea, those items are two or three generations after my sphere of knowledge.

What at did they eat in the 60's that required a divided bowl? How many of the small bowls ere there, one for each person, or one per set?

The drinks ware from the 60's is elaborate and very interesting g, all of those cocktail shakers and portable bars and etc.

Cool dinnerware.

Thanks. I have no idea how many of the small bowls would've come with a set. Mom bought the plates, regular bowls and bread plates at the Salvation Army shortly after getting married. Everything else was bought piecemeal by SO after the dishes became ours ten years ago.

nswef
4-2-17, 12:47pm
Maybe the divided dish is for nuts, candies for the bridge table?

iris lilies
4-2-17, 12:48pm
Thanks. I have no idea how many of the small bowls would've come with a set. Mom bought the plates, regular bowls and bread plates at the Salvation Army shortly after getting married. Everything else was bought piecemeal by SO after the dishes became ours ten years ago.
This collection of Atomic Starburst for sale on eBay doesn't appear to have those small bowls. They are an interesting enigma.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Franciscan-Atomic-Starburst-Rare-Vintage-Collectors-Large-Dish-Set-Great-Cond-/152488420821?hash=item238104a5d5:g:MwMAAOSwLEtYisz m

jp1
4-2-17, 1:02pm
Actually it does. They are in the dead center. The seller calls them dessert/side/sauce bowls. The odd thing about that collection is that it doesn't have any cereal bowls.

jp1
4-2-17, 1:05pm
http://www.replacements.com/webquote/fn_stb.htm?s1=shp&1518835&&sdc_id=1193898463346&CA_6C15C=396221592

Replacements also says it's a dessert/side/sauce bowl. And the three part dish is a relish tray.

iris lilies
4-2-17, 1:11pm
http://www.replacements.com/webquote/fn_stb.htm?s1=shp&1518835&&sdc_id=1193898463346&CA_6C15C=396221592

Replacements also says it's a dessert/side/sauce bowl. And the three part dish is a relish tray.

ah, your little bowl looked smaller and more curved. I can see how those evolved from the Victorian "berry bowls" which were of similar size. Berry bowls came in a set of 6 or 8 with a larger bowls as the serving bowl.

jp1
4-2-17, 1:46pm
I will sleep better tonight knowing that we weren't misusing them. Now if anyone mocks us for using finger bowls for dessert bowls I can call them ignorant boobs on facebook.

catherine
4-2-17, 1:48pm
Yes, I agree. The divided bowl is for olives, pickles, relish, whatever you want on the table. I had a crystal one.

iris lilies
4-2-17, 2:22pm
We already have a good blender and a stand mixer and 2 crock pots and a rice cooker. My son has literally used it once. Plus we end up the dumping ground for everyone in the family because we are 'poor' instead of intentionally simple living.
But your son will move out one day and take this with him. I haven't felt the need for a Vitamix machine myself, but they are popular, and expensive. It is a nice gift.

IshbelRobertson
4-2-17, 5:35pm
I like the Royal Worcester peach design, particularly.

Those are the ones I own! My Mum used to serve us coddled eggs with toasted 'soldiers' when we were 'Poorly'. God knows why I put them on my wedding list!

JaneV2.0
4-2-17, 5:45pm
Those are the ones I own! My Mum used to serve us coddled eggs with toasted 'soldiers' when we were 'Poorly'. God knows why I put them on my wedding list!

Warm memories? :)

beckyliz
4-4-17, 1:17pm
You shouldn't have any trouble selling the Vitamix on Craigslist or something, Zoe Girl. Those things are very popular. I'd love to have one, but the cost is prohibitive.

beckyliz
4-4-17, 1:22pm
No finger bowls here!

I thought about selling my wedding china to Replacements a couple of years ago - they weren't interested in my pattern. If I had better storage, I would keep it more available and just use it. Sounds like in your case, you should sell yours and use your MILs. If you like your crystal, get it out and use it! If it breaks, it breaks. What's the difference between a broken glass and one that is boxed up not being used?

IshbelRobertson
4-4-17, 1:32pm
Warm memories? :)

Perhaps!

iris lilies
4-4-17, 1:35pm
I am using my mother's crystal, not because I like it, but because I decided a few years ago to "use it up" rather than sell to the local China Finders guys because they would not give me a whole lot for it. And that is fine! So I eat it aside to use as causal glassware and when it breaks or is etched by the dishwasher, so be it.

Recently it has become my go to wine glass because it has etchings that mark, exactly, 4 ounces. I am working the Weight Watchers program and 4 ounces is the standard serving. In my big, bubble contemporary glassware that 4 ounces is dwarfed. :( Sadz.

As for dinnerware market: some years ago I took in dishes from the 1920s but they didn't want them , no market. But when I took in my 1985 dishes, they grabbed them all and even polished up a few that had scuff marks. The market is fickle.

catherine
4-4-17, 5:02pm
Sounds like in your case, you should sell yours and use your MILs. If you like your crystal, get it out and use it! If it breaks, it breaks. What's the difference between a broken glass and one that is boxed up not being used?

True, but Lismore Waterford just really does not go with my country style. I know people are blending crystal chandeliers with shabby chic, but I'm not sure that the crystal would fit. I'll think about it, though, because you're right. It's kind of dumb to keep them in a box.

Tybee
4-5-17, 1:05pm
I had Lismore Waterford and sold it during my divorce to raise money for grocery money. I think it's a really pretty pattern that goes with anything! Why not take it out and use it? It's a classic!

At 90, my mom has decided to use her wedding china for every day. Why not?

iris lilies
4-6-17, 9:47pm
I will add to this thread to say DH has not worn these suits for 29 years now. Still hanging in his closet.

flowerseverywhere
4-6-17, 10:48pm
I will add to this thread to say DH has not worn these suits for 29 short years now. Still hanging in his closet.

made me smile. Honestly, they probably have cycled in and out of fashion several times.

sweetana3
4-7-17, 6:14am
We kept one suit just in case. He calls it his burying suit. Although I think a polo shirt and khakis are more appropriate.

iris lilies
4-7-17, 9:08am
We kept one suit just in case. He calls it his burying suit. Although I think a polo shirt and khakis are more appropriate.

I say to DH, if you won't wear a suit to your mother's funeral, when WILL you wear it? (He didn't wear it )

I also remind him that at his second wedding it will not a good time to wear one of these outdated suits, I will guarantee that New Wife will make him wear something better.

There really is no place now to wear one
. Haha.

rosarugosa
5-29-17, 3:45pm
The semi-annual closet clean out is done.
Clothing YTD stats:
Rosa 12 in, 32 out
DH 7 in, 26 out

sweetana3
6-28-17, 7:58am
today I just got inspired to toss out stuff. Checked an old battery scrubber and the battery had corroded. No saving it and out it went. Then the tub of medical items like straps, bands, hot water bottle etc. Tossed major triplicates(how many thumbs do we have anyway), abdominal band(did I hope to have another surgery?), and old microwave warmers. Kept the hot water bottles and an ice bag as really useful items. Kept the shoulder warmer. Got everything that goes together in ziplock bags.

Then got out the rug I stored and actually put it on the floor. Maybe today will be the day to actually fix the curtain rod and hang the curtains.

Tybee
6-28-17, 9:48am
My husband wins the award for crap tossing this week. There was an ugly old couch in the polebarn when we moved in 4 years ago, and we never wanted to get a dumpster to throw it out, among other stuff left. Last week he put an ugly chair and an old file cabinet out of the curb and folks took them, so that was good. Then this week he started cutting up the couch and is throwing part of it away each week in the regular trash.