PDA

View Full Version : long-distance Amtrak, anyone?

Blackdog Lin
12-23-12, 10:10am
We're doing a long-distance Amtrak trip this spring - our first (well, for all intents and purposes. We did it circa 1987, so long ago we can hardly remember it).

I've researched every internet nook and cranny, and think I have a decent sense of what's in store for us - but one can never have too much information. :) Anyone else ever done a trip like this?

Jilly
12-23-12, 11:21am
I love riding Amtrak and have taken several-day trips for the past several years.

I travel alone, which is significantly different process, so I am unable to share personal experiences, but the trains are always full of couples and families and I have never noticed any big issues those other people might be having.

I always book a roomette, even if it means I have to adjust my plans. A roomette serves two people comfortably, but one person will need to sleep on the upper bunk. On short portions I have had to switch to all of the other classes of seating at one time or another and every option is comfortable and roomy, although I have never had to sleep outside of the roomettes.

In the sleeping cars I have been able to view the other, larger, bedrooms and some of them are huge, spanning the entire width of the car.

The food is excellent, and is included in your traveling fare if you book sleeping accommodations.

You can walk around the entire train, although only sleeping car passengers are supposed to have access to those areas. The observation cars (think that is what they are called) are nice, with grouped seating and have a nice, open and roomy feel to them. I have met so many nice people during these trips and whilst I travel for the experience and to have alone time, it is also nice to have the option to interact with others if I feel like it.

On my last trip to the Grand Canyon I met some people from Australia who had come to the US for a crafting show in California. One person in their group was originally from Boston and they were stopping over there before returning home so that she could spend time with her family and they could do touristy stuff.

I always travel with little things from my area, like pencils (the police department here gives them to me) and magnets and little tourist books from my area to give to people I meet. It takes little space and it is nice to give something to the people I meet. The people from Australia seem to do the same thing and one of them gave me little koala key chains for my grandsons and I gave her a bracelet that I had made (I take a bunch of those along, too). We all had books and talked authors and favorite children's books. I was reading mystery that was by a favorite author of one of them and I gave it to her when I was finished.

I schedule in stopovers and things to do along the way and at the end of the line cities, but I rarely stay overnight anywhere more than a few days, an exception I made for Santa Fe because there was a festival going on and I wanted to learn a bit about Los Alamos.

When you plan your trip, use Amtrak's Route Atlas, unless you already know exactly where you are going to travel. Also browse the Vacations and Rail Tour Packages sections for ideas. I have used those as a starting point for trips and it has worked out well, as I could add extra stops or eliminate ones that I did not want.

Trains are my preferred way to travel, although I do like very loan coach trips, but they have much less privacy and flexibility.

Hopes this helps a little.

Jilly
12-23-12, 11:32am
I forgot to add that you should expect delays. The rail system give priority to commercial traffic and there were several times when we had to wait for commercial trains to use the tracks and an overnight for private cars to be added to the train.

And, it is wonderful to be in your sleeping compartment and wake up at night. The trains travel through open and un-poplulated areas, and gave me a view of the sky that I rarely get here. It was always interesting to watch the country unfold as we traveled, daytime with lots of wildlife and cities and towns and people going about their activities to watch, and nighttime was a kind of dreamy panorama of more quiet lives lived by people just like me, but not, you know? It never felt voyeuristic because we were traveling through, but it is, gosh how can I express this. It is a connection to the greater than self or something. I feel connected.

I also take commuter trains instead of driving, sometimes, and like that, too.

Rosemary
12-23-12, 1:34pm
My parents have taken 2 cross-country trips on Amtrak, most recently this fall. Their train was 12 hours late arriving in St Paul, on a trip that was supposed to take about 36 hours. They enjoyed the scenery and relaxed pace, though.

ApatheticNoMore
12-23-12, 1:48pm
If you have a sleeper you are automatically "first class". It's good to be first class. Ok sleeper and up accomidations aren't cheap compared to coach, but it is really what you want if traveling overnight (do you really want to have to sleep in a coach seat? I don't). And if you are first class your meals are automaticaly free, even desserts (which have a million calories each but were pretty good last I remember ... and free!). First class also often has a lot of other perks depending, sometimes a seperate observation car so you can always get a seat in the observation car, sometimes free wine sampling (that's the California train) etc.. With a sleeper you can go to the observation car and observe and talk to people (even into the night and drinking - didn't get too tipsy, nor did anyone really, but hey finding a designated driver is taken care of!). Going into my own private sleeper and reading books and observing when I got sick of being with people (introvert alert). If there are just one or two of you you will be seated with others at meals, a good way to meet people. It's mostly the retired people crowd especially traveling first class, though not everyone.

Yea expect delays. I wish passanger trains had dedicated tracks, should be, but they don't, and commercial gets priority (yea the symbolism there ...).

ApatheticNoMore
12-23-12, 1:56pm
My parents have taken 2 cross-country trips on Amtrak, most recently this fall. Their train was 12 hours late arriving in St Paul, on a trip that was supposed to take about 36 hours. They enjoyed the scenery and relaxed pace, though.

Yea. expect delays and this is not unusual (it all depends on how many freights there are). My theory: vacations shouldn't be rush rush affairs (of course that depends on having enough vacation time), but since you are retired they should even less be so, all the time in the world. With planes these days you have to arrive hours early to allow time for screening and stuff anyway and they are stressful. And slow trains are actually a pretty sustainable mode of travel, something noone can say about flying.

bunnys
12-23-12, 6:39pm
Jilly, those Amtrack trips sound really fun. I've never ridden on Amtrack. I would like to do that someday.

I have ridden on European trains. Took the Chunnel from London to Paris (20 minutes of pitch black) but the landscape was beautiful. Also took a sleeper from Moscow to St. Petersburg. That was really cool. Twenty minutes out of Moscow and the houses were lit by candlelight and wagons were being drawn by draft horses. Can you imagine?

Jilly
12-23-12, 8:36pm
Bunnys, there are some wonderful short trips you can take on the East Coast. Train travel is more expensive than any other way to move from place to place, but it is just plain super-duper. I hope you get to hop on one someday. Now that I live alone, I cannot take any more trips whilst I have my cat. But, some day...

Blackdog Lin
12-23-12, 9:14pm
Bunnys - tell us more about your European train travels. It sounds fascinating. How long ago was your Moscow trip? That sounds so.....shiny.

Jilly and everyone else: thank you. I need the encouragement. We've done some moderate amount of travel over the last 36 years, and I was always up for the adventure, but I'm afraid that my taste for adventure has.....I DON'T WANNA DO THIS! I DON'T WANNA GO! I DON'T WANNA LEAVE MY BED AND MY DOG.

Okay, got that over with. It'll be fun - it'll be adventuresome - we will have fun with the trip. ApatheticNoMore pointed out that as retirees we have no schedules to adhere to, we can go with the flow, I understand that with Amtrak going with the flow is normalsome - and we ARE going first-class (a bedroom, no less! - we've never traveled first-class before in our entire traveling life, so that will be shiny.)

I will get to (1) see and hug S-Mom in person again, the first time since '01; and (2) step my tiny feet into the power and surf of the Pacific. (Got a whale-watching afternoon planned too - something we've never been able to do since we always went out in summer.)

Tell me more about train trips. Tell me more about serendipity, on train trips.....

pinkytoe
12-24-12, 10:19am
We have taken several Amtrak day coach trips - Denver to Grand Junction being the most recent. The only thing I recall about our short trips is that observation cars are crowded and first come, first serve. The bathrooms were "upstairs" so you had to basically crawl up a very steep windy staircase to get to them. The dining car was interesting because you end up being seated with total strangers at your table. We had an long conversation with a young Brazilian soccer player. I do recall long waits at stations too - usually about an hour off. I once did a sleeper car when there used to be a line in Mexico - so many years later and I still recall being rocked like a baby in a cradle during the night travel. To me, trains are magical.

bunnys
12-24-12, 10:44am
Blackdog: It wasn't shiny so much as broken down. Most of my travel in Europe hasn't been by train. Only those two trips I mentioned. I'd like to do the Marrakesh Express in Morocco. That is my goal. Can you imagine how cool it would be to say you'd ridden on the Marrakesh Express? I'd be singing that song the entire time. That's the kind of idiot I am. But then I spent the entire walk across the Bridge of Sighs sighing as I looked out into the lagoon lamenting my pretended fate.

You should be excited about going! It is stressful but you don't have to go back to work because you're retired. You just get to come home and relax. And you are going to see so many beautiful places on your trip out West. And the Pacific really is beautiful.

I've done a lot of traveling and I've seen so many cool things. And I'll get to remember them the rest of my life. And I too am the kind of person who just likes to hunker down in my house and be cozy. It's raining and cold right now and I can't think of a better place to be. But I'm going to Spain in the spring and even though it will be STRESSFUL, I know it's going to be a lot of fun and I'm going to learn a lot.

That Russian trip was FREAKING WEIRD! It was in 2007. So much about that country is weird. Stepping onto the platform at the train station was like going back to the 1930's, that's how antiquated it was. But the train trip was really cool and fun and spent mostly asleep in my berth under a thick Russian wool blanket. Others were sweating because it was so hot but I love being warm and was very cozy. In fact, every building in that entire country is like being in a sauna--so overheated. Every single building. When I awoke in my berth the next morning we were just about to arrive in St. Petersburg and were in the suburbs? That's the best I can describe it. Densely built houses but they didn't have electricity (you could actually see the flickering candle and lamplight emanating from the windows and yes, horses pulling wagons. But I saw no cars. The train had a little packaged breakfast (very hearty) for us and you could heat water and make coffee and there was running water and one or 2 toilets for the entire sleeping car but no showers. Luckily I had just taken a shower the evening before boarding the train. It was a cool experience.

This is good for you to do. It will whet your appetite for more. This is a good thing, trust me.

JaneV2.0
12-24-12, 2:42pm
I don't have anything to add, really, but I do enjoy traveling by train. For short trips, I recommend our west coast Cascade line (I think). If you travel business class you can actually sit in a row of individual seats. Heaven.

I've thought of just getting on a Train to Somewhere, so I'll be interested in hearing how your adventure goes.

Blackdog Lin
12-24-12, 5:29pm
I'll post about the trip when we get home (mid March). Thanks everyone for the encouragement and the stories.

San Onofre Guy
12-26-12, 4:39pm
I'll share my experience.

1974 Boston to Orlando and back. Horrible sitting up to sleep for two nights air conditioning failing.

2009 Fullerton CA to Raton NM with Scouts. Departed 7:00 pm arrived 4:30 pm the next day. Return leave Raton at 10:30 am return 0700 the next morning. I like the trip during the day but anyone over 30 really should get a sleeper. My days of sleeping in a chair other than in the air are over.

2012 Boston to Trenton 11:30 till 5:00 was a dream the same for Trenton to Washingon just over 2 hours.

I'd do a multi day trip but only with a sleeping compartment.

dado potato
12-28-12, 11:35pm
We have a roomette booked on the California Zephyr (Chicago - San Francisco) in February. DW plans to bring her laptop along.

Blackdog Lin
12-29-12, 8:52am
dado: I joined an online forum (Amtrak Unlimited) just to ask questions and get info on our trip, and they all talk like the CZ is the most scenic of all the western long-distance routes. How cool for you! - is this your first train trip, or are you an old hand at it?

We'll be on the Southwest Chief - just 'cause that's the route that is closest to us (and even at that we're 2-3 hours away from any stations on the route).

bUU
12-29-12, 9:45am
We've taken Amtrak from Boston to Chicago, and we've done the Auto Train from DC to Orlando a few times. The Boston to Chicago trip is probably not a good comparison for you: The underpasses that the trains have to go through north of DC and east of Pittsburgh (?) preclude using the superior rolling stock that you'll see on more western and southern routes. The Auto Train, too, I believe is somewhat unique. The entire trip is a single overnight, so it's much more of a casual passing each other in the night kind of thing.

Having said that, from what we've experienced, there is a big difference between sleeper and coach service. (I would suspect that on longer trips, that difference would be even more pronounced.) So be glad if you are fortunate enough to be able to afford the sleeper. We've done roomettes and bedrooms and really feel the bedroom is worth the extra money, and not just for the extra toilet privacy you gain. While we didn't feel cramped in the roomette, we surely felt confined. In the bedroom, there was extra space, which helped reduce the feelings of being closed in. But the biggest difference was with regard to how you are oriented when you sleep. In the roomette, we were oriented head-to-toe in the path of the train's movement. In the bedroom, we were oriented lateral to the path of the train's movement. So in the roomette, we felt like someone is pushing us in the back of the head, all night long, while in the bedroom we felt like someone was rocking us back and forth all night long.

We learned on our first trip that a train isn't a cruise ship. :) By that I mean there is no entertainment except that which you bring yourself. The advent of e-book readers is a godsend, not only because you can carry books in less space and with less weight, but also so you can switch back and forth between different kinds of books, magazines, etc. (whatever you fill the e-book reader with), in case you get bored of one kind of book. We've also started bringing a laptop with us, with a DVD or two to serve as our own personal entertainment center in the evening.

Some other things we are sure to bring with us now on each trip... Our own pillows; several 3-outlet power strips; and a GPS. We often do want to know where we are, as we're looking out our window, and cellphones don't all have real GPSs in them - their GPS capabilities often figure where you are based on triangulation of GPS data from the cell towers you're near. So if you're in a dead zone, you suddenly have no GPS. And that's the case through much of South Carolina and Georgia on the Auto Train (at least).

I hope this helps.

Blackdog Lin
12-29-12, 9:14pm
bicker: oh yes, thanks for your input. Your info on the sleeping arrangements helps hugely. See, I DID splurge on a bedroom, and it sounds like I did the right thing. DH is overweight and disabled w/back, knees, shoulders, and he has to have his CPAP, so I thought the bedroom was a better fit for him.

Not worried about the pillows, but am planning on bringing my own extra (small but heavy) blanket. Suspecting that the Amtrak blankies are very thin - and I have a horror of getting chilled in the middle of the night. Am I right? As long as we are "snuggled in" I think we might just sleep wonderfully with the rocking of the train you mentioned.

As for your entertainment issues, I'm good with a couple of paperbacks and watching the scenery. DH doesn't "read", so for Christmas Santa brought him a portable police scanner - we'll input the Amtrak codes so he hopefully can have fun listening to the dispatchers/engineers during the trip. I read about this on the forum I joined to get trip info from. I think and hope he'll have fun with it on the train.

What about flashlight/headlamp and binoculars? They're on my list of things I think we might want to have along.....

bUU
12-30-12, 5:09am
My spouse is notoriously cold-sensitive, but we did fine with the Amtrak-provided blankets. I wonder if makes a difference if you're upstairs or downstairs - I know that it makes a big difference in noise. Upstairs, you can barely hear the train noise; downstairs, the standard clackity-clack is much more noticeable.

I cannot advise you with regard to binoculars. You're taking a radically different trip than we do. During daylight hours, we are going through town and cities, mostly, and with the exception of brief glimpses at river crossings, we typically only see the sides of the steep culvert the train tracks are placed in. We've not had light issues, but that might be because we always have our cellphones with us, which provide a lot of light with just a small shake. That's enough to find our way to the ladder or door to the toilet.

Blackdog Lin
12-30-12, 7:22am
Bicker, thanks again. You've been very helpful.

And oh yeah, WELCOME to our little forum! I hope you hang around and enjoy our online family.

rose
12-31-12, 12:48am
I'm on an Amtrak trip right now. I don't like to drive and had cities in this country that I wanted to visit. I started in Seattle, spent a few days in Monterey, a few days in San Louis Obispo and a few days in Santa Barbara. Spent a few days in Tucson, AZ. Am now in San Antonio, TX. I haven't booked sleeper because of the cost. I have spent three nights on the train -- not the most comfortable but beats an airplane seat. Food in the dining car is pretty good and prices are pretty reasonable. I enjoy talking with fellow passengers. Outlets at all seats so I bring my laptop and do off-line work. I read. California has WIFI on their Surfliner trains. So far, even though some travel has been during the holiday season, the trains have been pretty much on time. In fact an hour early getting into San Antonio, TX.

I marvel at how you can get on a train with anything you want in your bag. And your friends can come on and say good bye. People bring their own liquor and their own food. I can bring a giant bottle of shampoo. The train stations are downtown in cities which I like. I have been able to walk to my hotels or get a city bus. We seem so crazy in the U.S. -- you can't get on a plane without getting partially undressed and you must leave your yogurt behind. And the trains are wide open. I appreciate it and am glad to be traveling while it is so easy.

The Amtrak website works well. I get the senior discount now which is 15%. I've had great deals on each of my trips -- less than I could fly for certainly. I've enjoyed seeing more of the landscape of the country though I miss a lot in the dark. El Paso Texas, for example, was interesting with Homeland Security SUV's parked all over the edges of town. Imagine the price of each one of those along with the employee(s) and their benefits inside each one.

I've been pleased with the demeanor of people on the train. The cars are quiet when it gets dark as most people want to sleep. People seem relaxed and friendly. I plan to keep going until I get tired of it.

Blackdog Lin
12-31-12, 10:19am
rose, that is so cool that you're enjoying the travel so much. I hear you on the differences between airline and train travel - not having to run the demeaning TSA guantlet is one of the main reasons we've decided to try Amtrak travel.

Thank you for sharing your story.

domestic goddess
12-31-12, 7:27pm
I"ve taken Amtrak home several times, but it is a much shorter trip (12 hours) and at night, so I can't give you much info on daytime travelling. IT is definitely my preferred way to travel, and even when I don't get a sleeper (because I don't sleep anyway) have been comfortable. It is nice to be able to go in and shut the door, though.Dinner is usually very good, breakfast is so-so. But I am riding the Cardinal Line for a much shorter time. When I am retired, I plan to take some longer trips. Once time is not an issue, I think it would be fun, and I love the feeling, as the train pulls out of the station, that no one can expect me to do anything for them any longer, at least for a time. Since entertainment is not provided, you will want to bring something to do, and it seems like you have that covered. I like to have some snacks, as I think the snacks they have in the snack car are rather expensive, but I do enjoy the cheese and crackers, even considering the price.
I think you will enjoy it. Please report back to us!

dado potato
1-1-13, 12:03am
Blackdog Lin,

This will be the first time on the CZ. I have ridden the Empire Builder many years ago. And the Via Rail in Canada from Winnipeg to Vancouver. And Amtrak from Philly to Savannah. And Philly to NYC. During the fall foliage season in 2012 we rode the excursion from Sault Ste Marie up the Agawa canyon.

I have always enjoyed the sensations and sights of rail travel.

rose
2-16-13, 11:19pm
Amtrak update. I'm now in North Carolina. Since my last post, I have visited San Antonio and Austin in Texas. I flew from Austin to Miami (wanted to see the Everglades). Amtrak no longer runs from New Orleans to Florida because the tracks were damaged by Katrina and have not been repaired. From Miami I took Amtrak to St Petersburg Florida on Gulf of Mexico (probably my favorite stop...I kept extending my stay) and then Amtrak to a small town near St Augustine on the Atlantic coast. After visiting St Augustine I took Amtrak to Charleston, SC. Yesterday I rode from Charleston to Greensboro, NC. The longest delay was in Florida due to a very sad incident where just an hour before my stop a 20 year old young man jumped in front of the Amtrak and died. The train was delayed five hours. Other than that the delays haven't been over two hours and many have been on time.

I'm passing on an article that someone just sent to me....very good article about riding Amtrak. http://www.orionmagazine.org/index.php/articles/article/6043/

I think one of my favorite things is seeing unspoiled parts of the country that you would not see by road. I also like the very comfortable seats, the ability to move around in the train, the civility and demeanor of the passengers and staff. There is something very soothing about the ride with the movement of the train and the comfortable seats.

The train stations vary immensely in their state of repair and their locations. The station in Greensboro, NC is clean and beautiful. The station in Orlando looks like an unpainted warehouse in a third world country and is in an unfriendly part of town. In some towns there is no station and you catch the train on the track. Some towns have an Amtrak bus connection in a strip mall. Some are in the heart of the city; others are out in isolated industrial area. I'm starting to wonder if there is any connection between the care given a community's Amtrak station and the economic health of the community.

Price is reasonable I think. I haven't spent over $100 on a ticket. I've had three overnight (no sleeper) trips so they are fairly long. I like that I can book a day or two before I want to travel, that I can get a refund if I call Amtrak before the train I'm ticketed on leaves the station, and that I can haul my food, my computer, my books onto the train and I have an outlet at my seat. I'm concerned about funding for Amtrak and also concerned TSA will get their hands on Amtrak soon.

Azure
2-17-13, 10:35am
Rose, your trip sounds like so much fun! Thanks for sharing it. I've always wanted to take a long train trip out west.

So far the only trips I've had are from Battle Creek, MI to Chicago. I've had 1 unpleasant incidences. One time I took my sister & her 1 year old to catch the train back to Chicago. She was traveling with a stroller, a big bag & the 1 year old and nobody offered to help her get her stuff onto the train. The conductor was standing right there. So I picked up the stroller and carried it on, along with my 2 year old. Gave her a hug and turned around to go but the doors were already closed. That was it. We weren't dawdling at all. The conductor was upset with me. My sister said he was talking about me well after the train left.

The next time was when the train broke down in Kalamazoo, I think. They got us a bus to take to Chicago. The bus driver didn't know how to get out of Kalamazoo so some passengers were giving him directions. The bathroom was out of order and it took a couple of stops before we found a place open so the guests could use the restroom. We got into Chicago 3 hours late at 2 am. Which was unpleasant for my BIL who had the job of picking us up at the station.

They weren't enough to turn me off of train travel, but the sister that I was on the bus ride with won't take the train any more. I still want to ride on a train with a sightseeing window car.

Spartana
2-17-13, 12:24pm
Rose your trip sounds sooo great. I can't believe I missed this thread and your first post. How are you getting around once you get off the train to stay in each place? Do you take local transit (bus, taxi, subway, etc..) or are you renting a car? How long do you usually stay in one place before you take another train out? Do you have a set schedule that is pre-planned and paid for (tickets) or do you just fly by the seat of your pants and decide where to go next and then purchase a ticket? I always loved train travel but have only done it in Europe (did a 2 month Eurail pass once) and never done Amtrack. Something I'd love to try sometimes.

rose
2-17-13, 10:10pm
Azure, sorry to hear about your experience. I had my own bad experience in 1982 and didn't get back on Amtrak for 30 years. I can understand your sister.

Spartana, I try to get from Amtrak to my hotel on city buses when I can. If it is after dark, I get a cab to my hotel but that has only happened twice. Google maps gives me city bus schedules and that has worked well. My luggage consists of one rolling bag the size you can carry on an airplane and a shoulder bag with my laptop, and my travel purse. I've been able to lug it onto city buses. Public transportation in cities varies so much both in the fares and the service. It is interesting.

I rented a car only once in two months and that was in Charleston because I wanted to get to Pawley Island, Georgetown and other places I couldn't get to on buses. When I'm in cities, I walk a lot which I like just fine once I dump my luggage. I can get city buses to most things I'd like to see. I take city tours sometimes. I don't get to see as much of a city as I would with a car and the city tours help me get an overview. I did that in Miami and in Austin, for example.

My time in one place varies. The least has been three nights. St Pete's beach, my favorite stop because of the weather and water, I stayed 11 days. I have a list of cities I want to see and I want to be in warm weather so I've taken a southern route. But other than that it is by the seat of my pants. I don't have hotels booked ahead; don't book them until I get train tickets to the next stop. I wanted the flexibility so didn't map out my schedule in detail but I do spend a lot of time planning at each stop...I have to find a reasonably priced hotel that is near Amtrak or at least on the bus and is near the stuff I want to see. I don't have room in my bags for travel books so I end up spending quite a bit of time on the internet. It takes me more time than I would like. That is probably one thing I would change...more planning before I left on the trip. Last year was difficult with a move and my mother's death and I didn't plan as much as I normally would. I like the flexibility though...haven't figured out the perfect answer. I've stopped in a few city libraries to read travel books and help with planning.

I buy tickets anywhere from a few days to the day before I travel. So far that has worked ok, even over the Christmas holiday season. I looked briefly at the Amtrak passes that I believe can be for 2-6 weeks. The number of times you can get on and off the train is limited; also I read something about if the train is 75% booked they don't have to honor the passes. I think the passes would be good if you were going across country or a region with only a couple of stops. When I get home I want too do some work to compare my individual fares with a pass.

I

Spartana
2-18-13, 9:43pm
Thanks for all the info Rose - it sounds like a great trip. I still have my little dog so can't really go on a trip like that right now but something to think about in the future! I like that you are able to go on a whim and not really make plans until you are ready too. Best way to travel IMHO. Keep us posted here about your adventures as I know we all like to hear them - even if we are very very jealous :-)!

chrissieq
2-18-13, 10:04pm
In the past year, we have taken two trips - one to Alliance OH for a family reunion and the next to DC. What we found (leaving from Minneapolis, MN) is to take the Megabus to Chicago then Amtrak east. Megabus is substantially cheaper (like remarkably so) but the train from Chicago is reasonable. (We also went to Chicago over MLK weekend for a very easy Megabus ride - $30 for the 2 of us roundtrip!!)

Travel in and out of Chicago was on time, efficient, and comfortable. The train staff were very nice on the train - in the stations, a bit more curt.

We are very close to retirement and plan to do a major part of our retirement travel by train - neither of us like to fly and I am a VERY nervous passenger in a car which make him an uncomfortable driver - it works for us!!

Blackdog Lin
2-21-13, 7:23am
I am so appreciating everyone's accounts. Rose, it sounds like you're having a wonderful time, and I thank you very much for the link to the Orion article. It was lovely.

I'm down to 2 1/2 weeks before we depart, and am starting to get excited.....

Spartana
2-22-13, 12:21pm
I am so appreciating everyone's accounts. Rose, it sounds like you're having a wonderful time, and I thank you very much for the link to the Orion article. It was lovely.

I'm down to 2 1/2 weeks before we depart, and am starting to get excited..... Have FUN!! And make sure and post about it when you get back. Where are you going and for how long - I missed where you said that. I'm taking a trip to Florida myself (flying) leaving tomorrow but am not doing anything too exciting there. Just hanging with a friend and checking out the sights.

pcooley
2-22-13, 5:57pm
We take Amtrak back to the East coast as frequently as we can. We usually book first class on the second half of each trip so that we can hang out in the first class lounge in Chicago. (The have free snacks and drinks, and that keeps the kids happy). This summer, we are doing first class on all four trains again for the first time in many years. I'm very excited about that. Basically, I LOVE traveling by train, and I dislike flying. I even like the layovers in Chicago. But first class in the family room is expensive. On the Southwest Chief portion of the trip, I think it's around $950 for the night. It's cheaper, when you're traveling as a family, to book two roomettes, but the extra room in the family room is nice.

When we first started riding as a family, right after my son was born, they still had real china in the dining car. Since then, they've gone to disposable. That's my only real complaint.

The only bad experiences I've had have been riding the train in coach from Washington D.C. to South Carolina. People were loud and slobby. There were even people watching violent, inappropriate movies on their laptops without wearing headphones. What were they thinking? We've never encountered that behavior on the Southwest Chief or the Capital Limited, the two trains we're on the most.

Blackdog Lin
2-26-13, 7:02pm
I'm awful glad to hear of your being a fan pcooley. Makes me feel that we may just indeed end up loving train travel. Will hope for a trip report from you after your trip.

We are traveling Kansas City/Los Angeles and back on the Southwest Chief. Splurged on a bedroom for us, knowing DH would NOT do well in coach (big man w/bad back, mobility issues, CPAP machine etc etc).

dado potato
3-9-13, 7:34pm
Our trip to California and back on the "Zephyr" was worth repeating. The food was consistently well-prepared (and so I call the train "a rolling feedlot"). Our roomette was cramped, eg. living in a space the size of a bathmat. But it was possible to find more room in the lounge car. Bring books to read. (No WiFi on the Zephyr).

fidgiegirl
3-9-13, 8:28pm
dado, where did you grab the train? Does the Zephyr run through St. Paul? Scratch that, I will look at the website! :) I have always wanted to do a train trip, especially as my "love" of flying is diminished with each and every trip we take on a plane.

fidgiegirl
3-9-13, 8:32pm
Aha! I see Chicago is the answer. Looks like you all have had a lot of fun.

Rosemary
3-9-13, 8:40pm
We've considered taking the train to Chicago for a long weekend... problem is, that train comes all the way from Seattle and often runs late. As in a 12 hours late... too easy to lose a significant part of a weekend due to that.

Blackdog Lin
3-9-13, 8:50pm
dado: I would love to do the Zephyr next - it looks like that is the train with the most spectacular scenery.

As for us, well.....WE LEAVE TOMORROW. Oy vey. The housesitter and "baby"sitter are confirmed. I have us mostly packed, and still trying to get enthused about the trip. I'd still just as soon stay home - boy! how I've changed. I used to LIVE for big trips - now I have truly become a "simple living person", and am happy just hanging about the acreage and sleeping in my own bed and doing my little daily lovin's on the baby (the mistress of the household: the dog).

But okay, this trip will not only be fun, it will be good for me. I need to expand out of my comfort zone, right? Get out there and grab the gusto, right? I shall travel cross-country and I shall do fun and different things, and I shall converse with people I don't know - I shall converse with family I need to get to know again - and I shall embrace the uncomfortables and the unknowns, and I shall be brave and fearless and confident with all that is new and different for the next 11 days.

So help me God.

(that was my little prayer. Brave and fearless and confident. All the things I used to be.) Wish me luck!

rose
3-9-13, 9:44pm
Blackdog, I will be looking forward to your report. I often have a hard time leaving but usually have a great time once I go.

Tussiemussies
3-9-13, 10:05pm
Blackdog, I usually feel the same as you do but once I am there usually have a good time. Hope you do have a good time...Christine

Azure
3-10-13, 9:02am
Have fun!

dado potato
3-13-13, 1:13am
Zephyr does indeed roll from Chicago to Emeryville (near San Francisco). Next year I think we may get on the Empire Builder near our home in WI and ride coach into Chicago, spend a night there, and take the Zephyr out the following day. We'll probably get off (the train) in Sacramento, and rent a car to frolic with grandchildren in CA.

In a roomette a cribbage board and a deck of cards can be an endless source of amusement.

In the dining lounge, if your party is less than 3, you are certain to have some random travelers to sit and converse with during meals. (I noted that a number of sleeper/roomette passengers -- whose meals were included in their fares -- picked up the meal tabs for passengers who were traveling coach. For example, I saw this courtesy extended to a Chinese student and a hearing-impaired Methodist minister, each traveling alone. I believe there was a particular interest in these individuals as dinner companions/conversationalists...It's wonderful to see that the art of conversation is not dead, and furthermore intelligent conversation can even get you a meal!)

Blackdog Lin
3-21-13, 6:32pm
We are home from our Amtrak adventure. I enjoyed it, DH not so much. I thought it marvelous to get halfway across the country in about 35 hours, without being restricted to a car seat and while being able to relax and enjoy the scenery. The meals were generally very good, though inconsistent. Our car attendant (we had a sleeper) was the same woman both ways, and she was friendly and mostly efficient. Sleeping on the train was, well.....certainly no different than how I sleep at home: sometimes I sleep well, and more often I don't. I didn't mind the rocking and clickety-clack of the rails, but there were always rattles in the room to annoy.

I'd say everyone who travels ought to try an Amtrak adventure at least once. We probably won't ever do it again (DH won't allow), but I'm glad we got to try it.

Spartana
3-21-13, 8:43pm
I'm glad you had a good time - sorry not so for DH but I remember you said he had some health issues and being in a cramped space probably was hard. How did you like the time not aboard the train? Did you arrive on time (a problem with Amtrack I've heard) and was it easy to get around to other places? That's always a concern. I know when I had a Eurail Pass (a 2 month pass) there were several times I'd arrive very late (like 3 am) at some lonely train depo and miss my connection. The depo was closed up, as was everything else nearby, and I'd have to spend a semi-scary night sleeping on a bench outside the train station. An adventure in quaint towns in Europe, not quit the same in Los Angeles or a big american city.

pcooley
3-23-13, 2:40pm
I'm curious why your husband did not enjoy himself. Was it mainly health issues? I find few things more fun than traveling by train.

Blackdog Lin
3-23-13, 10:15pm
Spartana: we were lucky with a timely trip both ways. We were on-time arriving Los Angeles westbound, and 1/2 hour early arriving Kansas City eastbound. The trip was planned to have no connections to make, getting off the train we were then on our own (westbound get our rental car; eastbound find our car and head home). All in all the whole trip went remarkably well, life mostly cooperated, DH went with the flow for the most part, and was un-grumpy. It was a good trip - though I'm done with big trips for a few years. :)

paulc: There's a lot of personal blah blah blah to your question, and DH will never come right out and tell me, but I know. The train trip forced him to confront his weight. He's disabled with his back and knees and shoulders, but much (most) of his disabilities are due to or exacerbated by his weight. He couldn't fit into the diner car booths. I knew it might be a problem, I had researched it, and the first thing I did upon embarking at KC was trot him down to the diner to see if he could be comfortable - he couldn't. So we ate all our meals in our room - which wasn't at all a bad thing, we had a nice SCA who was helpful and didn't "look down at us" for it, it's a service that Amtrak advertises and provides (room service!), and we had pleasant meals together in the room.....

.....but being honest here.....I know that's all it was. He decided he didn't like the train travel only because it made him aware of his weight problem. And it's only after writing this that I realize that that's why he won't fly anymore - our last two plane trips he had to ask for the seat-belt-extension, which I really didn't think about (I love the big lug and really don't think about his weight anymore); but am realizing now that it bothers him in ways that I can't understand.

blah blah blah. I liked Amtrak travel, and would recommend it.....but has anyone caught on tonight to the fact that there's a Firefly marathon on TV? My little travel woes: boring. Firefly marathon: awesome. I smile, then I grin, and frequently I LOL.

frugalone
3-24-13, 11:42am
Found this web site:

http://www.seat61.com/UnitedStates.htm#.UU8edVeYWSo

It also includes info on worldwide train travel.

One of my friends has traveled across the U.S. by Amtrak many times. She sits in one of the chairs overnight rather than renting a couchette. Although she is older than I am, I am not sure I could "rough it" to that extent. I've heard it described as being akin to sleeping in a La-Z-Boy, only with the noise of the train clacking along. :~)

Spartana
3-25-13, 7:02pm
.....but has anyone caught on tonight to the fact that there's a Firefly marathon on TV? My little travel woes: boring. Firefly marathon: awesome. I smile, then I grin, and frequently I LOL.

Firefly marathom!!! Makes me wish I had cable. Did you know that "Firefly" was the name of the (fictional? Semi-fictional) tug boat "manned" by the infamous Tugboat Annie? Learned that last night on a PBS special about women in the Merchant Marines.

Anyways, gla dthe trip went well and you enjoyed it. Giving me train wanderlust though as i love train travel.