PDA

View Full Version : A new season, a new approach

mattj
2-14-11, 11:52am
So, for the 3+ years we've been here I took a more scattershot approach to veggie gardening under the guise of building the soil. I planted everything and anything and took any harvest as gravy while composting the rest.

This year I will have goals and bring more order and planning to this endeavor. It's a bit intimidating but I'm using everything I've learned, like don't grow a bunch of stuff that the family won't eat. And, planning to can, freeze, dry as much of the stuff that they will! Getting excited! :cool:

Gina
2-19-11, 1:27am
Hope you'll be able to get out into your garden soon. Or at least able to start seeds indoors. :)

My garden is reclaimed from where an old swimming pool used to be, plus surrounding areas. The soil was fill and didn't have much organic matter. It took several years of soil building, earthworm and microbial colonization, and me learning, to get it where it is now. Still much to do every year, but fun.

Last year my garden was not as extensive as some years. This year my plan, like you, is to grow only things I know will be eaten. No more eggplant that just had to be given away. They were pretty however, and the fuzzy purple plants and flowers just lovely.

This year it's going to be beans, tomatoes, squash, lettuce, cukes, chilis and peppers. Maybe corn and potatoes too. Probably more but at the moment I've got brain-freeze. The only things I preserve are some tomatoes (freezing), and I dry then freeze lots of blueberries. Love 'em in oatmeal. :)

We are having a lovely rain right now and hopefully after a few days of drying I'll be able to get back to weeding and mulching the veggie patch and paths. :)

nancibt
3-1-11, 6:55pm
I'm in southern Cal, and should be able to garden all year round, but somehow I still work on the old Michigan time frame. But now as I think about starting my garden, I hesitate because I know earwigs are going to devastate my baby plants. They have only gotten worse over the past year -- this "winter" I have even found them in the house. ARGGHH! I think I need to go on an earwig "blitz" before I plant. Any suggestions?