PDA

View Full Version : Learn Something New in 2013

AmeliaJane
12-27-12, 2:05pm
A lot of us here enjoy being life-long learners. Is there something new that you want to learn about in 2013, or a subject in which you want to go deeper?

My 2013 challenge is to learn more math. Yes, math! I was a very bright high-school student, but somehow I convinced myself that I didn't have a "math brain" (my strengths were more in English and humanities.) Unfortunately, my rural high school didn't have very good mathematics teachers, and the only higher math classes were taught by an instructor who wasn't good at communicating with students who weren't already tuned into math. So my last math class was my junior year of HS and ended badly. I've always felt sort of dumb around math/science people since then. With a little more adult perspective, I came to realize that there was nothing wrong with my mind and that with a different teacher I might have gotten farther with the subject (and honestly, I have gotten a lot better at abstract thinking since then).

So my goal for 2013 is to review what I already know and learn some new material. I've been trying out the Khan Academy website and it is terrific for the review material. It's surprisingly relaxing doing math when you don't have grades and tests hanging over you--like solving little puzzles (I love puzzles). I have a feeling that when it comes to mastering new areas I may need an actual human teacher but it will be awhile before I get that far.

What do you want to learn this year?

treehugger
12-27-12, 2:24pm
Well, I can't say that I want to learn it, but I will definitely be learning algebra in 2013. School starts 1/22. This will be my second semester of going back to school to get a bachelor's in something related to environmental studies. I have a long list of general ed to get through, and algebra can't be put off any longer.

Of course, I'm overstating things, since I'm not even ready for real algebra. I took the school's online assessment and I am "26% ready to take Elementary Algebra." Ugh. So, I am taking the class that comes below that one. Yay.

AmeliaJane, I can definitely relate to your feelings of not having a "math brain" in high school. Sounds like I was a similar student to you. I, too, think it will go very differently this time around with my adult perspective. But that said, I ain't looking forward to it. Necessary evil.

Incidentally, my husband is "mad" at me for signing up for such a beginning class, no matter what that assessment said. He thinks I should take Elementary Algebra and use resources like the Khan Academy to get up to speed. I admit, I am tempted, because that will mean fewer semesters of math over all, but I don't have the confidence to do it that way.

Kara

TMC
12-27-12, 3:03pm
Dabbled in making cheese last year, mozzarella, soft goat cheese. This year I would like to learn how to make hard cheeses that require pressing like cheddar.
Something I thought I couldn't ever master.