PDA

View Full Version : No Buy January

TMC
12-27-12, 3:00pm
I wasn't sure if anyone had done this before but I would like to try, anyone interested in joining me?

I am going to keep track of no buy days. It will mean different things to different people but my goal is to stay out of stores and restaurants as much as possible. I didn't realize how much cash was just disappearing everytime I walk into anywhere.

I'm going to try to have entire days without a penny spent which will help encourage me to make food, gas and everything stretch longer.

I don't count paying regular bills like mortgage, electric etc. in this.

Anybody want to join in for the new year?

fidgiegirl
12-27-12, 4:26pm
I will try it again. I don't count DH's activities, just mine, but since I spend more than him, it works! :D

I do have prepaid stamp cards for coffee drinks across the street from work so I won't count those.

We have spent a lot in December and it's time to tighten up a bit.

TMC
12-27-12, 9:02pm
It's not January yet but I am ready to start. Hooray for snow yesterday which kept me home, no after Christmas shopping for me. :)

Today more of the same.....too bitter and cold to venture out. We snuggled up in the house and played board games today. Two $0.00 days in a row.

My daughter has some American Eagle gift cards she received and thought about going shopping this week but she decided to save them for spring clothes instead of spending them, she says she doesn't need anything now. Proud mama here.

I ran out of steel wool pads, not a one in the house. Trying to figure out a better way to clean the rack from my toaster oven without having to buy any. Any ideas?

LilyB
12-27-12, 9:55pm
I'm in. I think it is a great way to start the New Year. We are traveling now, so I'll have to start after January 1st.

Square Peg
12-28-12, 3:32am
As you can see by my latest blog post, I am in: http://livingwellwhilebroke.blogspot.com/2012/12/lets-review.html

TMC
12-28-12, 9:25am
As you can see by my latest blog post, I am in: http://livingwellwhilebroke.blogspot.com/2012/12/lets-review.html

I checked out your blog post and couldn't agree more. Despite my mindset to stick to the straight and narrow it is so easy for me (actually my whole family) to get into an "I deserve it" sort of mentality. Than I check out the credit card bill and I decide I need peace of mind and cash in the bank more than things. While we do use credit cards we usually pay them off in full each month. Extra holiday splurges, four new tires for my car and mounting medical bills means this will be the first month in years we couldn't pay it off in full out of our discretionary money. We could pay it in full by dipping into savings but I really don't want to do that. It was my wakeup call to pull it together again.

Eating out is a big one for us as well. We live in a very rural area so a trip to run any errand anywhere invariably ends up over the course of some meal. This means we stop, we eat, we pay....in more ways than one as we notice our ever expanding waist bands as well. ;) So we are running less errands and avoiding the temptation all together.

So today is a snowy cold Friday. We spent $62.00 today to purchase paint. We are painting my daughters bedroom ourselves, cleaning out and tomorrow will drop some donations off to Goodwill.

Today will not be a no-spend day unfortunately but this was a planned (since August) expense and I'm just going to deal with it. DH paid cash for the paint supplies. I am determined to add nothing else to the credit card. I usually use it for all expenses but I am not putting one more cent on it until it's completely paid off and we get back on track. Credit Cards are a great convenience but it is just so easy to lose track quickly.

A few more days to the new year.....

Float On
12-28-12, 9:29am
I'm in.
I spent over 3 months in a 'no spend state of being' while I was dealing with the broken ankle. It was wonderful and our money went further. Now that I'm walking again....I've found myself at Target or the outlet mall several times. Apparently I am more of the budget buster than I thought I was.

lucas
12-28-12, 10:12am
Howdy folks,

I'm going to join in this initiative! For me it will have to be a 'no unnecessary spending January'. I'm moving this weekend, so I figure there's inevitably going to be a few things I'll have to purchase... but the endless succession of coffees and other such nonsense is going to be stopped!

redfox
12-28-12, 10:14am
I'm in!

Bootsie
12-28-12, 10:14am
I'd like to try this with my own modifications. I want to stay out of restaurants. I've been using restaurants as places to "hang out," and it adds up, especially since I don't just order coffee but full meals. So, I'll limit myself to coffee shops (and libraries) as hang-out places. I'll start with just that spending challenge for now.

xmas
12-28-12, 10:18am
Sounds good. I could use a spending break.

Square Peg
12-28-12, 1:14pm
I'd like to try this with my own modifications. I want to stay out of restaurants. I've been using restaurants as places to "hang out," and it adds up, especially since I don't just order coffee but full meals. So, I'll limit myself to coffee shops (and libraries) as hang-out places. I'll start with just that spending challenge for now.

This gets me as well, but at coffee shops too. I will just order a coffee. And a muffin to go with it....

Square Peg
12-28-12, 1:17pm
I checked out your blog post and couldn't agree more. Despite my mindset to stick to the straight and narrow it is so easy for me (actually my whole family) to get into an "I deserve it" sort of mentality. Than I check out the credit card bill and I decide I need peace of mind and cash in the bank more than things. While we do use credit cards we usually pay them off in full each month. Extra holiday splurges, four new tires for my car and mounting medical bills means this will be the first month in years we couldn't pay it off in full out of our discretionary money. We could pay it in full by dipping into savings but I really don't want to do that. It was my wakeup call to pull it together again.

Eating out is a big one for us as well. We live in a very rural area so a trip to run any errand anywhere invariably ends up over the course of some meal. This means we stop, we eat, we pay....in more ways than one as we notice our ever expanding waist bands as well. ;) So we are running less errands and avoiding the temptation all together.

Avoiding restaurants when away from home like that is so hard. We often want a hot meal and so a sandwich just doesn't cut it.

I spent $8 on an espresso maker at the thrift shop yesterday. I am thinking if I can make myself fancy drinks at home, I will be less tempted to order them out. I also spent 60 cents on a really pretty mug to bring to coffee shops. This will help me feel better when ordering coffee, since I will have a mug that makes me happy. I also get a discount for bringing my own mug. I have some travel mugs, but now I can order a smaller, cheaper size.

citrine
12-28-12, 1:19pm
I am in too!

TMC
12-28-12, 7:51pm
The question in my head is always how far to go with my frugality. Today I know I have a credit card bill I will owe and yet I am struggling with talking myself out of ordering a book I would love to read from Amazon. The little voice in my head says,"its only $7.00", yet I don't stop at $7.00 and good books on cold nights are my downfall.

I visited my online libraries to try to borrow it for free, no luck. I did however borrow 5 other Kindle books which I will now start to read.

Now I have put in writing that I will not buy that book and I will not. Thanks guys, sort of a little confession there. :). I think I need to completely go cold turkey for a while.

fidgiegirl
12-28-12, 7:54pm
TMC = :)

Have you used Paperbackswap.com? I haven't found too awful much on there, but have a few credits hanging around. For those who haven't heard of it, you list books you have and mail them to other users who request them. You pay for the postage and then you get credits (actually I think they start you out with a few credits at the beginning when you sign up). Anywho then when you want a book you've "wished" for or simply just found listed on the site the owner of that book sends it to you. A pretty cheap way to keep books in the house, especially if for some reason you want it around longer than the library will allow or if a library is really out of the way for you. For the cost of media mail it's about $2.00 or so to mail a book. I think it would be really good for those into romances or other novels where publish date isn't so important to them.

TMC
12-28-12, 9:07pm
Fidgiegirl: :thankyou: I was a member of Paperbackswap years ago and you will laugh but I checked them this evening too. No luck. I have had the same experience as you mention, not too many things I am interested in, I actually have some credits sitting there I haven't used up.

I didn't think to wish for it though, I forgot I could do that, thank you.

Tiam
12-28-12, 9:21pm
I'll try too. I managed a no spend day today.

TMC
12-29-12, 4:14pm
Bummer spending day. Was necessary though. Had to order chains for my husbands farm tractor. Our gravel driveway is 1200 feet long and has about 10 inches of snow on it. DH can't do the plowing this year because of his accident and he won't let me do it without the chains so.......$164. Ouch! But of course in the long run its cheaper than having to pay someone else and he really should have them for safety anyway.

Other than that spent nothing. Made some homemade donuts this morning for special treat. We had freezer smorgasboard for lunch today odds and ends of open bags. ;) Dinner is leftover meatballs made into hoagies, baby carrots out of the produce drawer and some pasta salad. Nothing thrilling really but a frugal day at home.

Tussiemussies
12-29-12, 4:30pm
Usually I hardly spend anything but now with our new house there is a lot of repairs and things needed so unfortunately I'll be spending...as soon as this time period is over I will join in too!:)

bunnys
12-30-12, 9:00am
TMC--we did this either in September or October. I thought it went well.

Fidgie: I thought you did well last time, if I remember correctly.

I agree that some people are just going to do better than others because they have different types of lives--especially if there are others who's spending needs they must consider.

I have enough food (and meals planned) to make it through 1/18. So I am RESOLVED not to buy anything at the grocery store until then. I also must get my hair worked on that weekend as well.

I also must buy a bobbin case for my sewing machine before the beginning of the year because otherwise I'll stall more. I really want to have as few spend days as possible.

I pay all my bills online so will use one bill-paying day as a spend day. Three of my bills are automatic w/d from checking and the date varies from month to month so I'm not counting on that bc I can't control it. I'm going to have to think about how I'm going to do this...

TMC
12-30-12, 1:24pm
Usually I hardly spend anything but now with our new house there is a lot of repairs and things needed so unfortunately I'll be spending...as soon as this time period is over I will join in too!:)

Good luck! It really is harder with a home...there's always something to do and pay for. I love our home and farm but it's nice sometimes to remember being footloose and fancy free as newlyweds in an apartment where someone else had to pay for the repairs. ;)

TMC
12-30-12, 1:35pm
Ok so snowed in again......that's OK with me. Today will be another no spend day.

I have been tossing catalogs and deleting those pesky emails...."The whole world is on SALE...shop NOW". :laff:

Painted my daughters room and have a pot roast in the oven and whipped up a batch of bread from the Healthy Bread in Five Minutes a Day book. I think it's red wine and cheese bread, it has rye and wheat in it....and red wine of course. I have potatoes in the basement from my garden and dinner will be positively gourmet today.

Lunch...ehhh...not so much. We used up some more half boxes of things from the freezer....can finally see the bottom of this freezer though.

I did a lottle rough calculating yesterday on what we spent on food in the month of December up until I started this and the figure is ridiculous. If I can save that in January and February I will be thrilled. After February we will re-evaluate a realistic food budget. Right now I am just focused on spending as close to nothing on food as possible. This combined with no extracurricular shopping will really be a financial gain for us.

Of course it's easy right now....lets see what happens when I get to the bottom of the freezer and have nothing but frozen strawberries and fish sticks left. :)

JaneV2.0
12-30-12, 1:45pm
I'm spending as much as I can so I can feel virtuous by cutting way back in January. Happens every year.

Jilly
12-30-12, 2:32pm
I am going to try this. I did my monthly grocery shopping last week and will need only fresh vegetables occasionally.

I do not have to return to work until January 9th, so that will help with gas for the car. However, that is a spending need eventually, along with rent and utilities.

So, the premise is no spending on anything extra, yes?

ApatheticNoMore
12-30-12, 2:33pm
I'm spending as much as I can so I can feel virtuous by cutting way back in January. Happens every year.

I think I'd rather spend as much as I can in January, because it's so set up to be a really bad month of deprivation and profound let down. ButI have better plans - take days off in January! Of course I stayed out of the stores to avoid the crowds from thanksgiving to xmas, but I'm already just pouring money down the drain lately, why I bought flowers for the house the last two weeks, already wasting $10. :~)

bunnys
12-30-12, 3:17pm
I don't think money spent on flowers is a waste!

Jilly--How do you do a month's worth of grocery shopping in one fell swoop? Do you have a residual fund for the stuff you forget? What if you mess up and burn something?

The night before last I was making pizza and as I was rolling out the dough I knocked the bowl of peppers and onions I'd already cooked onto the floor, breaking the glass bowl into the peppers and onions. Normally, as the floor had just been SCRUBBED 1 hour earlier, I would have just scooped it up--I almost did. But I'm like "I simply cannot eat glass." So I had to use some of my peppers and onions I'd reserved for another dish later in the month for the pizza. Now I have to go out for more!

Jilly
12-30-12, 4:22pm
Bunnys, I eat quite simply. So, all I need is the ingredients for soups, casseroles and things like that. I cannot buy much fresh because I have a half-size refrigerator and a teeny freezer.

1. I bought four dozen eggs, on sale for $1.20 each.
*I eat them over-easy, hard cooked and in things like meatballs, quick breads and rice dishes.
2. Ground beef was on sale so I bought three pounds.
*Made a huge pot of chili today, mostly meat, with canned tomatoes, black beans and a whole jar of jalapeno slices. Part of this will be filling for stuffed cabbage and maybe for a much brothier beef and root vegetable soup.
*A third of the ground meat is now 63 meatballs in the freezer. That is six meals right there. Some as just a meat and others in tomato sauce on pasta.
3. I bought a lot of canned goods, and a jar of that ranch dressing powder, which I can use to season lots of other things. Small cans of pineapple, which is often paired with popcorn for dinner. Beans. Tomatoes. Large containers of chicken and beef stock because even though stock making is very frugal and easy I still will not do it, so boxed stock it is. Whole wheat pasta.
4. A package of frozen burritos for when I do not have the energy to make anything and all the leftovers are gone.
5. Dried milk, the biggest box. I use this for everything where milk or cream are needed. To substitute for cream I just make the milk mixture as dense as I can without it getting too gross tasting. I am a little lactose and caseine intolerant, and dried milk is easier for me to eat.
6. Two large packages of corned beef, with an expiration date for the end of February.
7. Three packages of hot sausage and one of natural hot dogs. All freeze well in meal-sized portions, which greatly reduces the chance that I will open a package, forget about it and have to throw the gross ones out.
8. Lots of root vegetables that will go in soups and casseroles. Fewer casseroles I am thinking because of the carb issue though.
9. A very large package of individually frozen tilapia.

Stuff like that.

I will fill in three times, or so, with fresh greens, especially kale, mustard and collards, which I eat as a fresh vegetable or use in soups, which also contain sea vegetables from my pantry (which I actually have now...yay!). More root vegetables and this time I made myself buy broccoli because I should be eating it, used to love it, but stopped loving, for some reason, a few years ago. So, I bought a large container of sour cream to make dip (with the ranch powder) and make myself eat it.

I also found that buying salad stuff in the pre-mixed bags is more economical for me because I will eat that. Buying salad ingredients is a great idea, but not so much when I only partially use them or never use them at all.

I shop with a list, but do not make menu plans, so that I can adjust to what is on sale. Blackberries were on sale for 99¢ for large boxes and I bought a small container of heavy cream to pour over them. Out of season and all, they were the best blackberries I have had in ages.

I stopped buying things that I knew I should be eating and then never used and had to throw away. Very distressing, and I had to stop even though it meant giving up many standards for eating well. So, I keep it simple. I have a nice pantry and can pretty much make whatever I feel like eating, and if that fails, I always have plenty of pineapple and popcorn. I have very little wasted food anymore and I think that no longer making new or fancy recipes is a great help there. So, that is how I shop once a month. :)

fidgiegirl
12-30-12, 4:24pm

LOL that's what I'm doing, too! :D

Jilly
12-30-12, 4:58pm
As for burning food, that rarely happens, but when it does, well, it is what it is and I salvage what I can or have P&P (pineapple and popcorn). Since I have only general ideas about what meals I will make, losing ingredients through overcooking or dropping is not as much of a problem.

I know that glass bowls and storage containers are probably healthier, greener and all that jazz, but I have plastic stuff just because of the breakage issue, for which my arthritis is not supportive.

bunnys
12-30-12, 6:08pm
Jilly: Ok, I'm getting it that P&P is your go-to meal. Very interesting and flexible.

Me? Not so much. I have about 20 meals that I have listed on a card. They are really specific so I don't just have "Chik'n Pot Pie" written down. It's "Chik'n Pot Pie/stewed tomatoes/cranberry sauce." Of those 20+ meals, I usually make the same 10 or so over and over.

But when I do plan, I choose from the list and then buy all the ingredients necessary for the entire meal. Because I live alone, I have to deal with the problem of making a vat of something and then eating it for 5 days straight so that by the time I'm at the bottom of the vat, I'm pretty sick of it. Frequently, I bail on my plan and decide to make something that takes a lot of the ingredients I'd already bought for the original plan. But it's never ALL the ingredients. So I have to go to the store to buy the remaining stuff for my changed-mind choice and then go back to the store to repurchase the stuff I already used from my planned meal.

I love cooking--think it's really fun so, ultimately, I don't mind doing this. But I do feel like I'm spending more money on food than I should.

I don't often stock up but when I do, I buy a lot. I have a difficult diet that requires some foods that I have to go to the HFS half way across town to get so I stock up then--even if it isn't on sale. One example is the fake chik'n patties that I paid an arm and a leg for @ Whole Paycheck. They were a buck-fifty more than I'm used to paying at the HFS but I've been trying to get them at the HFS for 6 months but they're always out. So I paid that highway robbery price for what is apparently the filet mignon of fake chik'n and bought 8 packages to boot!

Another thing I've been buying for the past 2 weeks is the special cheez (Daiya) that I've been stocking up on bc my local grocery has it for 40% off! This is such a good price by buying a lot of it I'm defraying the exorbitant price for that d@mn chik'n @ Whole Paycheck. So, right now I've got 15 packages. I got a Christmas gift card from a student from the same grocery store for $15 but I left it at school. When I get it, I'm going to buy another 5 packages so I'll have enough for the entire year! (They're in the freezer.)

So for me, purchasing food (going to the myriad of stores I have to hit to get all my stuff) and making my rather flexible menus makes cooking for me a pretty un-simple process.

I kind of think of it as my hobby because I really do like grocery shopping and cooking. So, that's good.

TMC
12-30-12, 7:16pm
I am going to try this. I did my monthly grocery shopping last week and will need only fresh vegetables occasionally.

I do not have to return to work until January 9th, so that will help with gas for the car. However, that is a spending need eventually, along with rent and utilities.

So, the premise is no spending on anything extra, yes?

Jilly,

I think this type of challenge can be whatever you make it. For me it's forcing me to think ahead and group errands together to save gas and rack up more "no buy" days in the process. I save multiple ways than.

It's also helping me to be a little more conscious of my spending because I feel the need to confess here. My DH supports anything I do and is not really much of a spender himself but he doesn't really care if I do this or not. I need some like minded folks to get started down this path.

So I am going to cut out extras and wants this month, I am not putting off needs I would just buy anyway next month.

Tia

Jilly
12-30-12, 7:25pm
See, that kind of menu planning, a regular cycle of entire meals is what makes it easier, at least that is what my friends who menu plan tell me. They have fairly stable shopping lists, making for easier and quicker visits to the market. I have never asked any of them what they do when they have a change of mind about a particular meal, but I am guessing it is similar to what you do.

I love cooking, too, and it has been an adjustment to cooking for only myself. Maybe that explains some of the waste, but it is more likely because I just forget what is in the refrigerator and that I change my mind about cooking whatever it is. The blackberries are a good example. I rarely buy fruit of any kind, except for the occasional banana, and I never buy cream, so I was afraid that I would forget about that stuff and have to toss it all. Glad that I remembered, because it was really, really good.

And, that is an important point for me because I want to be a good steward of my resources, but I want delicious and relatively easy-to-prepare meals. There are days that a nice and tasty and easy meal has been the best part of my day. So sad to admit that, but in my defense, I have had a great many truly crappy days this year. >8)

Jilly
12-30-12, 7:32pm
Alrighty, then I am in. All I can say is that I am glad that my car tire was a little wonky on Friday and my guys found that all of the tires needed replacing and I took care of it right then. Even though it was a necessary expense, I am glad it happened this month instead of next. I think. :~)

Tussiemussies
12-30-12, 8:50pm
It's not January yet but I am ready to start. Hooray for snow yesterday which kept me home, no after Christmas shopping for me. :)

Today more of the same.....too bitter and cold to venture out. We snuggled up in the house and played board games today. Two $0.00 days in a row.

My daughter has some American Eagle gift cards she received and thought about going shopping this week but she decided to save them for spring clothes instead of spending them, she says she doesn't need anything now. Proud mama here.

I ran out of steel wool pads, not a one in the house. Trying to figure out a better way to clean the rack from my toaster oven without having to buy any. Any ideas?

Hi TMC when I buy a box of steel wool pads I cut each one into four squares. This way the pad doesn't get rusty laying around and you can immediately throw away your quarter....

TMC
12-30-12, 9:06pm
That's a good idea. I usually put them into a baggie and freeze it but than it wastes a baggie and they get lost in there. Cutting them in fours makes sense, I don't really get more than four uses out of one anyway.

This is the one item on my grocery list this week so far....and I'm putting off going to the store as long as possible.

TMC
12-30-12, 9:08pm
Jilly: I feel your pain...four new tires last month was painful but necessary for me as well. My plan now is to keep them rotated and spanking new as long as possible.

chrissieq
12-31-12, 10:12am
I'm in too! I work for a school district and usually we would have all this week off but, in order to have more in school days for students, our break is 3 days shorter. Three days to earn rather than use vacation time and three days to be busy outside the house and thus not tempted to run out just to see what's on clearance cause I'm restless inside.

I walk to and from work and once I'm home, usually just want to stay here thus unlikely to use the car those days.

TMC
1-1-13, 3:43pm
Happy New Year! It is officially day one of No Buy January and I have spent $0.00.

However yesterday I stopped at the store to pick up some needs for the week. I had a very specific list and bought:
1 head broccoli
2 tomatoes
1 bag 2 pound carrots
1/2 pound sliced deli ham
1 pound American Cheese
3 Bosc pears
1 1/2 gallon apple juice
2 gallons milk
Box baby spinach
Total cost $49.81

I had some real sticker shock and realized that I had better re-evaluate my expectations as to what my costs will be. It has been so long since I paid such careful attention to the price of food. I am also going to re-evaluate what I need to buy. I probably can eliminate the sliced ham by being more creative with what is in my freezer. I can't stand winter tomatoes and I am just going to give them up in exchange for the frozen ones I have. They can't be used in the same way but I can use them differently, pizzas, pastas etc. I also have a cold frame outside with some spinach in it, not much but probably enough for next weeks greens. I'm also going to get my grow light out and grow some greens inside. I already have the seeds I need.

I'm not going to be discouraged though. I look at that list and know that these were pretty basic things I bought for our family of four. I am already baking all of our bread and we get our eggs from our chickens. Unfortunately the prices are the prices.

So onward with the first day of the month. How are you doing?

fidgiegirl
1-1-13, 10:00pm
We did buy half a tank of gas. Mainly DH was so interested in getting gas today since it was under $3.00 a tank. I still had half a tank so we maybe saved, what, .25? It's a small tank. But he really wanted to get some so we did. We'll see if tomorrow can be my first no-spend day of the year.

Square Peg
1-1-13, 10:25pm
spent nothing today. Went for a long walk in the snow.

bunnys
1-1-13, 11:05pm
No spend today. Went to the park for a run. Did schoolwork. Ate some of the several meals I made over the weekend.

bke
1-2-13, 9:55am
I just found this thread after being out of town for the holidays. Consider me in. Yesterday was a no spend day. Today I indulged in a donut, filled the car with gas and spent $6 mailing some important papers.

So I'm batting .500 for the year! Dh and I have decided that we want to save as much as possible this year so this is a good challenge for me to participate in.

TMC
1-2-13, 2:13pm
January 2 and spent nothing!

I am so motivated to save some real money this year. Although we have very good 401k plans and college accounts going for the kids I know we waste a lot of money. Our emergency fund should be much better than it is. So that really is my goal.

I am going to reread a book I have "All Your Worth" to try to help find a balance. There are things we want to spend money on this year, some fencing, some raised beds in the garden, and I have to get over the guilt of spending the money and find a way to find the balance. But for January it is as no spend as possible to get out from under a credit card bill I racked up last month. Time to pay the piper. :)

Jilly
1-2-13, 2:58pm
Emergency car repair today and I ran out of laundry detergent.

I managed to avoid walking to the coffee shop whilst waiting for the car to be fixed, so that is good, but I bought more of those dollar/box blackberries, which was a choice, they were not a necessary expense, so big fail there. As long as I was spending, I put gas in the car.

So, I am thinking that my January begins tomorrow.

TMC
1-2-13, 8:45pm
Emergency car repair today and I ran out of laundry detergent.

I managed to avoid walking to the coffee shop whilst waiting for the car to be fixed, so that is good, but I bought more of those dollar/box blackberries, which was a choice, they were not a necessary expense, so big fail there. As long as I was spending, I put gas in the car.

So, I am thinking that my January begins tomorrow.

Good job staying out of the coffee shop!

fidgiegirl
1-2-13, 9:40pm
Jan. 2 = 1 day of no spending

Sparrow
1-2-13, 10:46pm
Jan. 2 = 1 day of no spending

Me too! So that's a start. I do have an order from Etsy from last month coming in the mail, and I have a Starbucks gift card to spend so those are going to feel like cheating to me. But, I'm trying to really do this. I'm also trying to keep a pretty strict diet so that will help me stay out of restaurants, one area that is a problem for me. My coworkers are always enticing me out to lunch.

Square Peg
1-3-13, 1:24am
Jan 2-a gallon of milk. Hubby made two trips by car-one to take the middle schooler to school when he missed the bus and a second time to take himself to work. 9 miles total.

fidgiegirl
1-3-13, 8:51am
Sparrow,

I figure the company already has the money and so the "spend" has already been made by the gifter. :)

TMC
1-3-13, 1:44pm
January 3 - No Buy

This is my third No Buy day in a row and is probably just about a record for me. Really. With DH being home from work and me working at home it means we haven't even left the house.

It's just the right time for us to create new habits and I am thrilled to be doing it!

Today I received an expense check in the mail from my job. $34.99 I had spent from last month that I was just reimbursed. Usually I would be short of money and would cash it, but I still have cash in my wallet so I will just deposit it. In my strange world of calculations I am ahead $34.99. :)

TMC
1-3-13, 1:46pm
Me too! So that's a start. I do have an order from Etsy from last month coming in the mail, and I have a Starbucks gift card to spend so those are going to feel like cheating to me. But, I'm trying to really do this. I'm also trying to keep a pretty strict diet so that will help me stay out of restaurants, one area that is a problem for me. My coworkers are always enticing me out to lunch.

I agree with Fidgiegirl. Gift cards that were gifts don't count in my rule book as spending. We received some restaurant cards and we're saving them for the cold boring dead of winter when we must get out of the house.

Square Peg
1-3-13, 4:20pm
Groceries today. Spent much less than we usually do on our weekly run. At our local grocery store, I found milk at its sell by date-50 cents a gallon! I got 8. We will freeze them, but with teenage boys, the milk won't last long. At the dollar store we bought toilet bowl cleaner and spray cleaner, a light bulb for the lava lamp in the non-grocery category. I bought some non-essential food at the dollar store as well-caramel syrup for coffee and 4 bags of sugar free hard candy. I am on the SB diet and so the candies keep me away from bad choices. The caramel syrup will help make my home brewed coffee more interesting and help me stay away from coffee shops.

fidgiegirl
1-3-13, 6:08pm
Day 2!

ToomuchStuff
1-3-13, 7:55pm
I wondered how you all handled gift cards (both spending and tracking). The first, second and third have all been no spend days for me. I expect tomorrow to head to the local laundromat, as my dryer is broke and I have multiple loads to do, and my next day off, I expect to be tracking down some parts for work. (had some equipment issues) I expect to order a part, we don't need yet, and just turn in the bill when we do need it (it cost them money and me a lot of time the last time). I think Saturday, will be my first spend day, but that might be with the gift cards (mostly used for gas, but sometimes get some groceries with one).

Jilly
1-3-13, 9:53pm
After hardly spending anything last month, even with the holidays, I thought that this would be so easy. Still no no-buy days for me, as we spent the afternoon at the vet clinic. Laundry has to be done tomorrow, too. I suck at this.

However, as soon as I have a day when I do not have to spend anything I will start counting. Man.

bke
1-4-13, 9:58am
I plan on spending about 50 cents at the library this afternoon running off some rebate forms and coupons that will actually save money in the long run. Other than that, no spending today!

TMC
1-4-13, 3:52pm
Janary 4 - 4th no buy day. I have to admit though that I am getting a little stir crazy in my house. Middle of winter...snow everywhere, cold weather and just feeling a little bored.

I don't think no buy has to be depressing so I want to focus on some happiness this weekend. I have a spare room that is piled full of junk. My goal is to clean it out, haul some stuff to good will and get that project off my to-do list.

Ths is a freebie activity that will pay me with a real feeling of accomplishment and happiness that it is done. I often finish a project and just go back to look at it I get so pleased at the accomplishment. Silly maybe, does anybody else do that?

Square Peg
1-4-13, 6:12pm
No buy today.

fidgiegirl
1-4-13, 6:45pm
Day 3!

bunnys
1-4-13, 6:46pm
No spend today. Yesterday I went to dr and make a copay and no spend on Wednesday. Spending is just NO FUN and takes too much effort, anyway.

TMC--I don't think no spending is depressing. If you don't want it to be a drag, do something fun that doesn't cost money. Fun, not cleaning.

Tussiemussies
1-4-13, 7:11pm
Only buying items for the DIY projects in our new house. Since there is basically no kitchen we picked up a cheap microwave to heat up frozen foods which is saving us money but still at times have to buy dinner. This is all because of the project once it is over we will start another but no personal spending...

chrissieq
1-4-13, 7:33pm
Jan 4 and I have only had one no spend day - 1/1/13 when I didn't leave the house. However, my purchase on 1/2 was postage for an etsy sale and stamps for our New Years card (though did walk to and from work and then the post office), DD needed a grocery run on 1/3 - vegan shopper at Whole Foods - $102 later she had a lot of food to avoid eating out and not buying lunch so hopefully will serve her well - today a purchase of an on-line CPR class that is mandatory for work with a discounted rate. Tomorrow is another day!!

TMC
1-4-13, 7:54pm
No spend today. Yesterday I went to dr and make a copay and no spend on Wednesday. Spending is just NO FUN and takes too much effort, anyway.

TMC--I don't think no spending is depressing. If you don't want it to be a drag, do something fun that doesn't cost money. Fun, not cleaning.

:laff: I'm one of those odd people that do find cleaning fun. Well, maybe not the actual cleaning but I sure do love the end result. I 'll put some music on and sing all afternoon which will make my kids crazy, which is also sort of fun. :)

bunnys
1-4-13, 9:31pm
:laff: I'm one of those odd people that do find cleaning fun. Well, maybe not the actual cleaning but I sure do love the end result. I 'll put some music on and sing all afternoon which will make my kids crazy, which is also sort of fun. :)

Oh I love the result, too. But I really don't like the process...

ToomuchStuff
1-5-13, 10:23am
Yesterday, was four in a row. Held off on laundry until today, and going out to pick up some stuff for work today as well as finding out about parts for a couple of machines at work.

EDIT: $7.00 spent at the laundrymat, and used a gift card to get a couple of grocery items for dinner. Found out some prices on the work stuff, still looking for info, for others.

fidgiegirl
1-5-13, 12:00pm
Awesome work, everyone! I broke my streak this morning by ordering some lamps online. We are also going to go out to Target later to do some returns and pick up a key holder.

Other than that not much spending planned.

I fended off my DH who often wants me to buy shirts on REI.com and they had a cute one on discount, but over half the time they don't fit me and I end up having to bring them back to the store anyway. I'd prefer to pay more and try it on in the store. I wanted to keep my no-spend day pristine so did not buy that shirt. :)

xmas
1-5-13, 1:12pm
So far this year I spend 39.99 on shoes, ( work shoes) for my kid and 19.24 on shower stuff at bath and bodyworks. So far no trip to the grocery store but I know I will have to go next week.

Square Peg
1-5-13, 2:46pm
We gave $5 to the Boy Scouts who were collecting trees. Or rather we will, when we remember to mail it in.
DH has to go out and buy screws for our dining room table. It is an old formica table, and one of the legs fell off!

bunnys
1-5-13, 3:14pm
Today will be a spend day. After my hike this morning I stopped for gas. After I go to the library, I'm going to stop at the grocery store to buy a few more packs of my favorite cheez that's on a killer sale at the store. I have a gift card a kid gave me so that's going to pay for part of it.

Tonight, the group of kids I took to Scotland this past Spring wants to do a reunion @ Chili's for dinner. So I'm going out for dinner--not something I do often but I really want to see what they're up to as this is the first time I've seen many of them since graduation.

TMC
1-5-13, 4:04pm
January 5 $111.52 at the grocery store
$ 3.00 parking to visit my grandfather in the hospital and bring him lunch

I stuck to my list at the grocery store and needed some basics like toilet paper and personal products. I wonder if it would be worth it to do more from scratch. For example we all eat a lot of yogurt, but by the time I buy organic milk I don't think it will even be worth it.

I have been successful and avoiding extras, no magazines or books, no bottled water at the hospital, I brought one from home. I have been much more aware of dollars these days which is great.

TMC
1-5-13, 4:07pm
Awesome work, everyone! I broke my streak this morning by ordering some lamps online. We are also going to go out to Target later to do some returns and pick up a key holder.

Other than that not much spending planned.

I fended off my DH who often wants me to buy shirts on REI.com and they had a cute one on discount, but over half the time they don't fit me and I end up having to bring them back to the store anyway. I'd prefer to pay more and try it on in the store. I wanted to keep my no-spend day pristine so did not buy that shirt. :)

That's exactly what I have been doing....I don't want to ruin my no spend days so I put off buying something and by tomorrow it doesn't seem to be as important.

fidgiegirl
1-5-13, 6:15pm
For example we all eat a lot of yogurt, but by the time I buy organic milk I don't think it will even be worth it.

In the case of yogurt I have not found the cost to be much less making it at home. I did even buy a yogurt maker and that hasn't paid for itself. The quality is good, however, much like the Fage brand. Someone did suggest making it out of powdered milk and that would save a bit but organic powdered milk is expensive as well. So I'm back to buying quarts of Chobani. I did cut back on my plastic use however by making yogurt, and I learned how . . . both worth it to me.

fidgiegirl
1-5-13, 6:16pm
Skipped Menards to buy materials for a pegboard organizer - more of a function of wanting to whittle DOWN my to-do/project list than add to it. So I'll wait until I've finished up a few more things first. It'll be nice when we do make it, though. Returned items and so only outlayed $20 or so at Target, mostly for grocery items.

bke
1-5-13, 9:59pm
Today is day three for me as well!

Square Peg
1-5-13, 10:19pm
We don't buy organic milk. However, we thought about buying powdered (non organic) milk for baking and we were shocked at the price. More expensive than fresh milk.

We bought the screws, some scewdriver bits to replace missing ones, and a roll of duct tape. We are almost out and the tape was on sale, almost half off! Total was 6 and change. We walked. Car has not been driven today.

TMC
1-6-13, 7:04pm
January 6 - $10.00 attended performance at DD school, she sang, just lovely. This was the cost of admission.
$2.00 ugg - gave same DD money for concession stand where she promptly bought junk.
$3.00 parking at hospital to see my grandfather. (This could get pricey, might have DH drop me off tomorrow on his way to run errands)

So I was disappointed that I caved in on the $2.00 at the concession stand. It's not like she gave me a hard time, she asked and I gave it to her, I just wasn't thinking straight and about the new path we should be heading down. Next time I will tell her to bring from home or use her own money. She earns allowance for certain things because I want her to have her own money to handle. This is a perfect opportunity for her to decide if m&ms are worth the price. :) Teachable moment I will grab onto next time.

So I am 4/6 for no buy so far. Really happy with that.

Tussiemussies
1-6-13, 7:27pm
January 6 - $10.00 attended performance at DD school, she sang, just lovely. This was the cost of admission.
$2.00 ugg - gave same DD money for concession stand where she promptly bought junk.
$3.00 parking at hospital to see my grandfather. (This could get pricey, might have DH drop me off tomorrow on his way to run errands)u

So I was disappointed that I caved in on the $2.00 at the concession stand. It's not like she gave me a hard time, she asked and I gave it to her, I just wasn't thinking straight and about the new path we should be heading down. Next time I will tell her to bring from home or use her own money. She earns allowance for certain things because I want her to have her own money to handle. This is a perfect opportunity for her to decide if m&ms are worth the price. :) Teachable moment I will grab onto next time.

So I am 4/6 for no buy so far. Really happy with that.

Great observation TMC, with giving your daughter an only option to use her allowance...

xmas
1-6-13, 7:39pm
Spend $2.98 on rice flour today.
So 4 out of 6 no spending.

fidgiegirl
1-6-13, 9:01pm
Day 4, which was an accomplishment on a Sunday! We had a nice breakfast of waffles, then lunch out using up some Chipotle gift cards, then we skiied at a state park, then home to a steak, oven potatoes and salad supper. I wanted to initially go out to celebrate one year of no gluten by having my favorite flourless chocolate torte at a swank eatery, but remembered that on our spend yesterday we'd bought a brownie mix. It is cooling right now, and we are $6 richer for it. :D

Tussiemussies
1-6-13, 9:02pm
Day 4, which was an accomplishment on a Sunday! We had a nice breakfast of waffles, then lunch out using up some Chipotle gift cards, then we skiied at a state park, then home to a steak, oven potatoes and salad supper. I wanted to initially go out to celebrate one year of no gluten by having my favorite flourless chocolate torte at a swank eatery, but remembered that on our spend yesterday we'd bought a brownie mix. It is cooling right now, and we are $6 richer for it. :D

Sounds great Kelli, keep up the good work!

Square Peg
1-6-13, 11:21pm
Nice to have skiing at a local park. No one grooms here, the closest is 45 minutes away.
No spend here, and we didn't drive anywhere.

Jilly
1-6-13, 11:33pm
I managed two days in a row...woot! Have to finish the laundry tomorrow and buy medicine. Rats. I was thinking that maybe I should not be counting money that I do not have any choice about spending. Like the laundry, medications, groceries, gas for the car and things like that, but really, spending money on anything is still spending money. Double rats.

ToomuchStuff
1-7-13, 12:07am
No spend day today (day 5 so far), but I was sure tempted by some candy, when I hadn't had a chance to eat (got interrupted with minor situation). Tomorrow will be a spend day, as I will be ordering some stuff for work, but not turning it in right away (wait until the bill comes and get reimbursed then). Hitting a garage to set up an appointment for one of the company vehicles and the post office on the way in.

While I am waiting for the tax stuff from work, I sat down last night and downloaded the forms and pretty closely figured the tax stuff. (need final interest figures,etc)

fidgiegirl
1-7-13, 8:38am
I managed two days in a row...woot! Have to finish the laundry tomorrow and buy medicine. Rats. I was thinking that maybe I should not be counting money that I do not have any choice about spending. Like the laundry, medications, groceries, gas for the car and things like that, but really, spending money on anything is still spending money. Double rats.

Jilly, this is how I felt last time we did this challenge - like I just couldn't seem to time out the "must spends" and they were happening every day! I think I had as many no spend days in that entire month as I've had in this challenge already. Sometimes it's just timing, though the challenges certainly don't hurt with awareness. Hang in there . . .

Rosemary
1-7-13, 8:48am
Today will be our 3rd no-buy day this month. The purchases we have made have mostly been groceries, so I feel like we're doing well.

Square Peg
1-7-13, 3:17pm
I spent $3 in parking and $10 at the grocery: lunch meat and flour
$19 on our first Bountiful Basket

Tussiemussies
1-7-13, 3:22pm
:)

Jilly
1-7-13, 6:48pm
Day 3. Not by any resolve or strength of character or anything, I am still to sick to leave the house.

However, I did a frugal thing. I had bought half and half to make kale and potato soup. Have not had the desire to do all the prep work, but still had the creamy stuff, so I poured some on my oatmeal today. Man, was that good!!!!! I have never eaten cooked grains with anything but a bit of salt, pepper and maybe a bit of fat (blackstrap molasses on grits, too), preferring the taste of the oats or wheat or whatever, but this half and half on the oats was divine. Six decades and no one ever told me!!!

Why????

LilyB
1-7-13, 8:05pm
I managed 2 No Spend days so far: Jan. 5 & Jan. 6

We've been traveling again, so most days required either food or gas purchases. We are home again, so I am planning on more No Spend Days.

I hope I do better than the last day home when I wound up having emergency dental surgery to the tune of $1100. :(Although this is a great incentive to keep saving, I guess.

fidgiegirl
1-7-13, 9:48pm
Ooh LilyB, ouch! Hope all is on the mend now.

Day 5 for me here. On a roll!

Tiam
1-7-13, 11:24pm
I have a training tomorrow. We were only informed today that we have an entire hour for lunch at a public venue and are expected to get lunch on our own. Now, I could bring my own, but I suspect that as it is a large training, I'll end up in a group that goes to a restaurant. I could bring my own and go visit the library, but it feels a bit anti social.

xmas
1-8-13, 1:18am
Groceries today. So still only 4 days.

TMC
1-8-13, 2:08pm
So far I am 4/6 no spend days.

January 7 - $104.17 garden seeds, new asparagus crowns. Sounds like a lot but we grow a lot of the veggies we eat, probably about 90% of our veggies come out of our garden. I only get stuck buying things like fresh greens now, even for that I usually have a cold frame going but with everything in our lives I haven't had enough time to tend it.

So I will start a second asparagus bed this spring and get my seedlings going under lights. I do the seeds every year and have way more plants than I need usually. I grown extras as insurance. This year I sorted through my seed packets to see exactly what I needed (I save a lot of my own seeds too). I also talked to a friend, she wants to buy my extra plants.

January 8 $0.00 Happy about that. DH went to PT so he dropped me off at the hospital to see my grandfather so I didn't have to pay to park. Three dollars in my pocket. Than I was so tempted to go to lunch with DH afterwards but we didn't. That's a little personal victory for us. :)

So now I am 5/8 no spend days!

TMC
1-8-13, 2:13pm
This is a problem my DH has too. I telecommute from home so hardly ever go anywhere, but when DH misses lunches with people he also misses the opportunity to build potential work relationships that could help him later on.

DH usually brings some fruit and nuts to the office with him and if he has to go out with colleagues he is usually just very careful about what he orders. $$$

Rosemary
1-8-13, 3:58pm
Today I made a return, sold some books, got DD's ice skates sharpened, got a few groceries, and had lunch with friends for which I used a gift card. Net cost was zero, not bad for my entire week's errands plus a social event.

TMC
1-8-13, 5:19pm
Today I made a return, sold some books, got DD's ice skates sharpened, got a few groceries, and had lunch with friends for which I used a gift card. Net cost was zero, not bad for my entire week's errands plus a social event.

That is a successful day. Do you sell your books to a shop? I never seem to get much for mine when I try.

Rosemary
1-8-13, 5:26pm
I usually take our books to Half Price Books. They don't pay much, but it's better than nothing. When we lived in Arizona we had Bookman's, the greatest used book store ever. We missed it so much that when we made a visit back to Arizona a few years ago, we went to 3 of their locations just for fun while we were out and about.

bke
1-9-13, 8:33am
Yesterday was no spend day number 4 for me. Sunday I bought newspapers for the coupons and Monday was our main shopping day of the week.

If I'm honest, I'm not sure about today so I'll report in tomorrow on how things went.

Bootsie
1-9-13, 10:21am
I'm not doing so well. I wanted to stay out of restaurants as a "hang out" place because I order too much food, which isn't good for my body or my pocketbook. I have had improvements in this goal but not complete success.

TMC
1-9-13, 6:04pm
I'm not doing so well. I wanted to stay out of restaurants as a "hang out" place because I order too much food, which isn't good for my body or my pocketbook. I have had improvements in this goal but not complete success.

I think improvements are a success.

TMC
1-9-13, 6:07pm
Ok, so January 9. DH says we're too busy today, we have appointments, lets just grab Subway for lunch. Lucky for me I don't even like Subway so it was easier to be strong than him. No thank you, we have some cooked chicken, leftover salsa and some greens about to turn. Lets have quesadillas for lunch. Done. $12.00 saved. WooHoo!

Today was a no spend day, but it was a close one. :)
6/9 no spend days.

Bootsie
1-9-13, 6:25pm
I think improvements are a success.

Thanks, TMC! You're right.

xmas
1-9-13, 9:05pm
Flushots today. Sofar only 4 days no spend

bke
1-10-13, 8:19am
Yesterday ended up being no spend day number 5. I ws tempted to go to Rite Aid but held out. I am determined to make today number 6! Good luck everyone!

fidgiegirl
1-10-13, 8:32am
I have had six days total. Tonight I plan on getting some gas and groceries so that will make for a spend day here.

Rosemary
1-10-13, 8:49am
Four days thus far, and tomorrow should be a fifth.

Square Peg
1-10-13, 10:54am
grocery day yesterday. $90

ToomuchStuff
1-11-13, 5:05am
Tuesday and Wednesday were spend days (Wednesday $1.00, had to get something from a vending machine due to out running errands that weren't spend). Thursday I expected a spend day, but wasn't.

Square Peg
1-11-13, 1:22pm
I am really not doing very good with this!
I just bought socks. We live in the giant sock eating house. When the house releases one from its mouth, it often leaves a hole in the heel first. There are 5 of us in the house, and we like thick socks. (expensive)
I just found a deal on Sierra Trading Post. I bought 40 pairs of thick winter socks for $65. That should be enough pairs to keep us in socks for awhile. I "saved" $245. I feel good about the purchase because we need socks, and it is hard to find thick ones for less than $5 each. Even with shipping, these were less than $2 a pair.

Tussiemussies
1-11-13, 1:36pm
I am really not doing very good with this!
I just bought socks. We live in the giant sock eating house. When the house releases one from its mouth, it often leaves a hole in the heel first. There are 5 of us in the house, and we like thick socks. (expensive)
I just found a deal on Sierra Trading Post. I bought 40 pairs of thick winter socks for $65. That should be enough pairs to keep us in socks for awhile. I "saved" $245. I feel good about the purchase because we need socks, and it is hard to find thick ones for less than $5 each. Even with shipping, these were less than $2 a pair.

Sounds like a great find for what you needed! I don't believe in wearing socks with holes in them -- so I think you got a great deal! Good for you!

TMC
1-13-13, 1:36pm
I have been busy but I refuse to fall off this wagon. I found a great free app for my phone called "Dollar Tracker". It lets me set up categories and list my spending. It will give me breakdowns by day, week, category. I am loving it.

So I was 6/9 no spend days. Friday, January 11 spent $18.00. It was a celebration / lunch date with my husband. We ordered waters which we are trying to drink more of and had soup and salad at Olive Garden. Worth every cash penny.

Saturday, January 12 I was forced into some spending for an event my daughter was at which required lunch so spent $12.99 there.

Also went to the pet store to shop around a less expensive dog food. Even my dogs have been living high on the hog. I compared all the bags for ingredients, fillers, how much to feed them etc. sure some bags are cheaper but you have to feed the dogs more of it according to the bag. So I sat there with a notepad and a calculator and I am switching their food. Saving about $15.00 per bag over the fancy stuff they were getting. I started them yesterday and plan to switch them over slowly over the next week using up what I had mixed with the new to avoid stomach upset.

Today, January 13 - No spend! Yahoo! How many days does it take to create a new habit?

7/12 no spend days.

Square Peg
1-13-13, 5:24pm
Yesterday was a spend day. We went to Rite Aid for a prescription and also got vitamins, bandages, and some medications. There was some victory. I just said no to more hair products, which are my weakness. Except the hair dye. But it was 75% off and so was less than $3. DH thought the bill seemed high and it turned out we grabbed the wrong vitamins, so we had to go back and get the other kind, which saved us $12. Still, $50 at Rite Aid, although most (except the $3 hair dye) was necessary. $6 at Dollar Tree-food and manicure stuff.
We returned a camera to Shopko and got $65 back though!

fidgiegirl
1-13-13, 5:27pm
I'm at 7/13. Friday I had another no-spend. I had a few hours to kill at the end of my last scheduled work commitment and was tempted to go sit in a coffee house to work, but wasn't really in the mood for a drink. I don't really believe in freeloading off coffeehouse wifi, though I do confess sometimes if I'm with a group and most of the people are buying something and I'm not in the mood I feel ok skipping a purchase - ok that was a sidetrack. So I drove home and beat DH home and pulled out my work laptop and put in a solid 2 more hours of work. So that was good!

But we spent money yesterday and today. We got a discount ham after the holidays so that's in the oven right now and we skipped buying lunchmeat for DH today because we knew we'd have plenty of leftovers. I always look forward to a soup with the ham bone as well. I think we only paid $15 for the ham.

Square Peg
1-13-13, 7:48pm
I thought we would be no-spend today, but I bought this online: http://www.yukonseatgrip.com/
Toilet slippage ruins the whole day.

lucas
1-16-13, 9:14pm
If anyone hasn't been able to stick to their 'no spend' guns quite as well as they'd hoped to, don't feel bad for you are not alone! Having just moved to New York, I've been stuck in this tiny cramped apartment which I rented online for the first month - turns out it was a 'bait and switch' and the women who owns it is crazy... the upshot is that I'm pretty much stuck in the bedroom until I find an apartment and as a result I've been eating out non-stop... fortunately it seems to be easy enough to get cheap eats in NY, but this is not how I envisioned starting off on my frugal 2013... :doh:

fidgiegirl
1-16-13, 10:39pm
Today was no spend. Yesterday I bought a coffee and a few groceries. The day before was also a few groceries. The dribs and drabs of groceries kind of get us.

Total 8/16, that's 50%, not bad!

Rosemary
1-16-13, 10:53pm
My habit of buying groceries here and there does cut down on my no-spend days, but I think I save money overall because of it.

ToomuchStuff
1-17-13, 4:32pm
No spend day today (day 5 so far), but I was sure tempted by some candy, when I hadn't had a chance to eat (got interrupted with minor situation). Tomorrow will be a spend day, as I will be ordering some stuff for work, but not turning it in right away (wait until the bill comes and get reimbursed then). Hitting a garage to set up an appointment for one of the company vehicles and the post office on the way in.

While I am waiting for the tax stuff from work, I sat down last night and downloaded the forms and pretty closely figured the tax stuff.

(need final interest figures,etc)

Had to go back and see where I was. 1-10 through 1-12 were no spend. 1-13 spent on groceries, gas and picked up some donuts when I was also shopping for work.1/14 and 1/15 were vending machine spends, while more work stuff (company vehicles and waiting in garages), spent under $3 total. 1/16 was no spend, but today will be (errand for the parents). Seems it is turning out to be low spends, instead of no spends.

TMC
1-17-13, 5:50pm
Well I'm doing good but don't ask me how many no spend days. A couple more, also did weekly stop at grocery, milk, yogurt, fresh veggies. I can figure out what days were no spend but right now I just don't have time to look back and I don't want to loose momentum. So yesterday was $8.00 for lunch, work seminar.

Today was no spend.

I have been keeping careful monthly track and I am thrilled at the amount saved just by raised awareness!

xmas
1-17-13, 10:43pm
I am very sorry but I have to leave the challenge.
The last week has been veeery busy. Our daughter informed us that she will get married earlier. They had planned to get married in the summer but now the civil ceremony will be next week, the church wedding will be in the summer. So I am busy spending money daily. It will be a small wedding ceremony next week. Okay, I admit at first I thougt she was pregnant and that that's the reason for the fast wedding. LOL No she is not but she has her reasons. Well, that's fine with us. She (24) has been with the young man (26) for over five years already. So we will have a wedding. I am all over the place.:cool:

Rosemary
1-18-13, 7:55am
Congrats to you and your daughter, xmas!

Both days this weekend should be no-spend for us.

fidgiegirl
1-18-13, 8:13am
Wow, xmas! There are seasons when it is easier to have no spend days and other times when it is not! Try again when the timing is better and enjoy!

TMC
1-22-13, 12:50pm
I am very sorry but I have to leave the challenge.
The last week has been veeery busy. Our daughter informed us that she will get married earlier. They had planned to get married in the summer but now the civil ceremony will be next week, the church wedding will be in the summer. So I am busy spending money daily. It will be a small wedding ceremony next week. Okay, I admit at first I thougt she was pregnant and that that's the reason for the fast wedding. LOL No she is not but she has her reasons. Well, that's fine with us. She (24) has been with the young man (26) for over five years already. So we will have a wedding. I am all over the place.:cool:

I think a wedding celebration for your daughter is a wonderful thing to spend money on. :) Congratulations!

TMC
1-22-13, 12:58pm
Spending has been spotty here. Saturday 1-19 went to the grocery store spent $111. It is just amazing to me how much it costs every time I walk into the store. Trying to stay out of there as much as possible.

Yesterday I spent about $300. Ugg. This was for the last of my spring garden supplies, onions, seed potatoes, seed starting supplies, last of the seeds, new asparagus roots to start a second bed. Its hard to spend that money but I know that this will net me my vegetables for my family of four most of the year. I grow pretty much all of our veggies and just have to buy greens in the winter. It was hard to spend the money but than walking through the produce aisle last week I realized I haven't bought a bag of onions or potatoes in at least five years. I still have a full root cellar and the freezer is full of veggies. It is very easy to justify this spending. :)

On the other hand I saw a wonderful sale on a new dress I really, really wanted. I am happy to say that I kept my cash in my pocket. Success!

DH and I have decided to go another month of this guerilla shopping frugality to bulk up our emergency fund a bit more.

Thanks everybody for coming along for the ride this month. I truly can't believe how much I have saved by paying very careful attention to my spending. Have gone to all cash around here and that has helped too.

fidgiegirl
1-24-13, 10:37pm
This thread has slowed a bit! I have for one not been keeping very careful track. Hmmm, let's think about the last few days. Today was a spend - gas and washer fluid. Yesterday = no spend. Day before = coffee cart: 60 cents. I can't remember back past that! I think January is going to be a good recovery from December - though we are looking at a San Diego trip! Ack!

TMC
1-28-13, 8:14am
Hello all. So many of us get busy with life I know it's hard to keep track of things. I have been using my new app for my phone and know exactly what I spent this month in all my categories.
1. Recreational shopping is completely gone this month. No new anything because I felt like it. I did buy planned purchase new mattress for DS, garden supplies.

2. Eating out is immensely improved, spent $137. This month I tracked every last sandwich. This is good for our family of four but I really want to cut that at least in half for February.

3. Big failure is in the area of groceries. Still spent $1100 in this area which quite honestly is outrageous. Trying again in February and my goal is less than $750. Should be attainable. This is the area I am really upset about.

I think I'm going to set a savings goal. Every dollar I save off of this months money spent on food I am going to put in our vacation fund. Hopefully this will remind me to be more careful.

How did everyone else do?

TMC
1-30-13, 9:57am
Success can mean so many things to different people. I am thrilled with the progress that I made even if I fell short of my goals. This thread definitely made me think twice about spending. I avoided impulse purchases of a book and an expensive dress that I didn't need. Total savings right there around $100. I am pleased with myself about this. I am throwing the catalogs away and being strong.

So even if you didn't reach your total January goal can you find some success in your No-Spend month?

fidgiegirl
1-30-13, 6:01pm
Hi TMC! Thanks for the invitation to reflect.

I would say I am happy that January came in at a lower spend than December, though I have to update hard numbers. We seemed to be careening out of control there for a few months and so I know that focusing on this in the early part of January helped me to curb the spending. Thanks everyone!!!

Tussiemussies
1-30-13, 6:23pm
Congratulations Xmas, agree that a wedding is a time you need to spend! Wishing a wonderful day for you and your family...

Rosemary
1-30-13, 7:02pm
We also came in at significantly lower spending than the past couple of months. Simply focusing on not spending helps a great deal.