PDA

View Full Version : Books that validate my choice in being a homemaker--motivating/inspirational books?

seekingsimplicity
2-14-11, 6:23pm
Hello

I have been a homemaker for 20 years with a career before that and lately have felt like I need a little validation in my choice to stay home and keep the home fires burning.

I would love to hear about books that pertain to homemakers or movies or blogs that might inspire me or help me do my job better!

thanks for your ideas!

catherine
2-14-11, 7:57pm
Sorry! I don't have any specific recommendations, but I'm going to think about it.

If I were to be inspired I'd look to real-life role models I've had. I'm going to give them a name right now, because homemakers are too often faceless, nameless heroes:

Mrs. Bakunas, my best friend's mother
Aunt Jane
Aunt Nancy
Claudia, my awesome SIL

Those are the top 4 homemakers that I've known.

If I think of any other movies or books I'll let you know

Mrs-M
2-14-11, 8:28pm
Where's Anne Lee when we need her! :) I too am at a loss for such recommendations, but like Catherine if I had to name a few IRL here's how it would tally.

My grandma. (Dads side).
Aunt Anne. (Moms oldest sister).
Jenny. (An old neighbour of ours who has since passed away).

Anne Lee
2-14-11, 8:50pm
Thanks, Mrs. M. I''m a little pressed for time so I will be brief. A good place to start is Radical Homemakers website.

For some fun historical works:
Mary at the Farm: http://www.gutenberg.org/files/13545/13545-h/13545-h.htm (full disclosure: I've not read it through, but it's in my queue).
Letters of Woman Homesteader: http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/16623

If you go to Amazon, Kindle, Free Ebooks and search these books, you'll see other books that other people have bought that bought these. You should be able to find those books at Google Books or gutenberg.org

Another fun historical site is Home Economics Archive Research Tradition and History http://hearth.library.cornell.edu/

I'll see what else I can come up with.

cattledog
2-14-11, 9:41pm
I enjoyed the Radical Homemakers book. It's worth checking out at the library. You may also like the homegrown.org website.

Snufkin
2-16-11, 7:20pm
Below is a link to a section from one of my favorite online bookstores. Bob and Nancy Waldorf Books sells all manner of books that relate more or less specifically to the Waldorf lifestyle, but not necessarily in a preachy, or spiritual, way; it fits with a lot of what people say on the forums here. "Homemaking as a Social Art" is really good, and so is "The Spiritual Tasks of the Homemaker," although the latter is definitely not easy-reading.

http://www.waldorfbooks.com/joyous-living/caring-for-our-homes

"Home Comforts" by Cheryl Mendelson is a large compendium of advice for taking care of the modern home (sort of like an updated housekeeping book), but it was written by a lawyer, and her essay in the front of the book makes it seem like homemaking is serious work indeed.

libby
2-17-11, 5:50pm
As a long time homemaker I can relate to sometimes needing validation. There is so much pressure to be outside the home working or doing other things. Anyways I just today borrowed a book from the library about the history of housewives. It is called The Canadian Housewife An Affectionate History. I'm looking forward to reading it.

libby
2-17-11, 6:04pm
Another book that I enjoyed is The Hidden Art of Homemaking by Edith Schaeffer. I also enjoy the blog down--to--earth. She talks alot about homemaking and simple living.

janharker
2-17-11, 8:17pm
I plan to look into y'alls recommendations, but I'd like to know specifically whether any of these resources honor the idea of homemaker without the requirement of having/raising children. I was a single professional for 30 years, then got married, retired from outside work, and now am trying to be a homemaker and could use some encouragement. But there will not be children! In fact, I'm not looking forward to the newly arrived grandchildren.

goldensmom
2-17-11, 9:19pm
In addition to my role as a homemaker, I also had a 30 year career working outside of the home. Now retired from my paying job, I label myself as a 'homekeeper' and never thought about the need for validation as it was my life's goal from the beginning. Like others, I would look back to my mother, grandmothers, aunts and respected others as validation for my now chosen role. Maybe take a look a Proverbs 31 to see that the honored role of homekeeper has a very long history.

Kat
2-18-11, 10:02am
Keeping House: The Litany of Everyday Life is unique and very intelligently written. It is a Christian book, though, so if you don't follow that religion you may not enjoy it.