PDA

View Full Version : Traveling lighter challenge

Meezer_Mom
12-30-12, 4:00pm
I use public transport and carry a tote w/"needs" of my day. It is my intention to travel lighter this coming year, starting immediately. Who's with me?

Today it's my gym lock, water bottle, current reading book, make-up/aspirin bag, coupon clutch, crocheting project, gym shorts, and letter from/to friend. A kindle would make it lighter, but any other suggestions?

Sparrow
12-30-12, 5:28pm
Great idea. I carry a small backpack to work and usually use public transportation as well. In it are: a few toiletries in a small bag, small umbrella, bus/train schedules, earbuds, hairbrush, a bottle of Tylenol, my lunch, Kindle or iPad, and general junk that just seems to propagate at the bottom that needs to be cleaned out! Things I've done to travel lighter:

I stopped carrying a purse. I keep a men's wallet in my back pocket now so I'll always have my bus pass, DL, money, etc where I can get it quickly. Anything else I need during the day is in my backpack kept in my office or on the weekends running errands, in my car. I also keep a small comb in my other back pocket and my phone in my front pocket. Yes, I only buy pants with good pockets!

Since I have a refrigerator at work, I sometimes take several lunches at one time and store them there.

I seem to carry a lot so I think I need suggestions too!

Meezer_Mom
12-30-12, 5:44pm
I've been using a fanny pack instead of a purse. Cannot use a backpack b/c I have back/neck problems. The tote is light. Need to lighten it further.

Tussiemussies
12-30-12, 6:00pm
I used to keep toiletries in one of my drawers at my desk. How about buying a second set of make-up and aspirin and keep it at your desk? If you get an iPad you can get an app for kindle on there and use it for many different other things. There is a model that you don't need wifi to hook up to the Internet.

Meezer_Mom
12-30-12, 6:49pm
A 2d set of stuff at the desk wouldn't be that helpful to me since I sometimes need to floss, take an aspirin, or touch up at the gym or before a board mtg. Good idea for others doing less running around, though.

On a related note, just saw a woman carrying a purse, tote and rolling suitcase. That could be me. *sigh*

Dhiana
12-30-12, 7:19pm
I'm always looking for ways to reduce the load when I commute also...my smartphone is my kindle, my letters to/from friends, and I take a photo of the crochet instructions on my smartphone of latest project so I don't have to carry the book or access the internet for the instructions.

I've started carrying my water in a one of the water 'bottles' that collapses flat as I drink the water. Saves a lot of space and is reusable.

Sparrow
12-30-12, 7:23pm
On a related note, just saw a woman carrying a purse, tote and rolling suitcase. That could be me. *sigh*

Funny! There is a woman across the hall from me at work who brings a tote (lunch?) and a rolling suitcase to work every day. I've always wanted to think of a polite way to ask her what is in that thing. I think she works out at the gym so maybe it is for that?

Tussiemussies, that is good idea about putting the toiletries in my desk instead of my backpack. I don't need all of them with me all the time.

bunnys
12-30-12, 7:31pm
I carry virtually nothing. I have a "kitchenette" in my classroom and keep everything I could possibly need (makeup, lotion, ibuprofen, bandaids, etc.) in my desk. I don't read at work. During my planning I work and watch streaming news. My lunch is only 25 minutes long and so early in the day, I just eat it when I get home.

Because it's such a hassle to make coffee in the morning when I first come to school, I have been bringing a thermos with coffee in it. I also carry a purse. Other than that, nothing.

If I could take public transportation, I would. If that were the case, I'd also bring something to do whilst riding.

Meezer_Mom
12-30-12, 8:43pm
Dhiana, is your water bottle a vapur? Have had mine for years; love it!

bunnys, yes, on public transport it's good to read, etc. I make cat mats for Rescue & scarves for homeless while en route or at some meetings.

Dhiana
12-31-12, 2:01am
Dhiana, is your water bottle a vapur? Have had mine for years; love it!

bunnys, yes, on public transport it's good to read, etc. I make cat mats for Rescue & scarves for homeless while en route or at some meetings.

Had to google 'vapur' but basically yes, that's what it is. They are starting to show up as free schwag in my husband's race bags. I like them because they are easy to refill, lightweight, and if for some reason I acquire items I can hang it on the outside of my bag using the accompanying carabiner. Super space saver!!

And I'm glad you've also found that public transportation is found time. Why waste it driving when you can crochet or read :)

Meezer_Mom
12-31-12, 11:20am
Gym will be closed by the time I get out of work and library book is due Friday, so I took out the water bottle, gym shorts, lock and crocheting.

Meezer_Mom
1-1-13, 1:19pm
Spending the morning clearing the coupon wallet of those that expired 12/31/12. Small things add up.

Float On
1-1-13, 1:59pm
I have a tiny tin with two allergy pills and two ibuprophen. Replenish at home as needed. Limit one lipstick, one small face powder and one pen in purse. I seem to collect pens as I go and they add a lot of weight. I choose to carry a small camera everywhere I go. I keep a magazine or book in the car for when I'm waiting on kids but don't need to carry in my purse. Wallet is slim and just bigger than a credit card. Holds important cards and $20 mad money. Change I tend to carry in my pocket and then leave in the car for kid's lunch money or an emergency diet coke. That's about it. That leaves room for envelopes I need to mail or anything I need to take on an errand.

Meezer_Mom
1-5-13, 3:47am
Also decided to return the big book to the library and request it on CD to listen to at home while finishing some crochet work. I switched out to a smaller floss and cleared the makeup/pharmacy bag of any duplicates. Also making an effort to process all bits of collected paper at the end of each day. Some progress.