PDA

View Full Version : Last Ride in 2012

junkman
12-31-12, 7:13pm
Light snow had begun blowing in from the west. But the roads hadn’t yet turned slushy. So I headed west along the bluffs overlooking the Willamette, rolling a few more miles on the last day of the year. It was quiet, just me and the snowflakes, the swoosh of tires and the click of gears, the sort of day you’re glad to have to yourself.

I’m not a racer. But I ride year ‘round in small chunks of ten to twenty miles, sometimes running errands, sometimes riding just for the fun of it. When temps drop to low 30’s, wind chill can be uncomfortable. But I layer up and head out, just the same as I peal down and ride when it’s 100.

On bike, it’s all good, right?

Rogar
12-31-12, 10:49pm
On bike, it’s all good, right?

I have been trying to extend my bicycling season and conditioning and did a 20 miler on Dec. 30th. No snow on the trail, but the temperature never got above 30 and I was pretty comfortable. Some light snow actually would have been nice. I'm still trying to figure out my clothes layering.

Our local cities and open spaces actually clear the snow from our bike hard surface trails which is pretty decent, but takes a little adventure out of things.

junkman
1-1-13, 11:38am
Rogar,

Everyone responds to temps differently. So what might keep one person (warm or cool) won't work for another. But the "technical" clothing available to cyclists really does its job, and it is worth paying for. In particular, for winter riding, I depend on three things: thick gloves, a balaclava, and wind vests.

Charlie

ctg492
1-2-13, 7:43am
Yeah to everyone who rides in the winter. I made my mind up this winter season that there was no biking season and I would keep going. I rode New Years day in MI and was just plain happy to be rolling down the road:) No Fiscal Cliff in my mind or the other news happening, it was wonderful. This year I put studded tires on my winter bike. I have used them a few times now and feel they were well worth the investment. Today is 12 degrees right now, but when the sun comes out and shines, I will be headed out to ride.
I feel that the proper knowledge, bike, accessories and clothing are needed to ride. I carry way to much "could possibly need" type clothing in my trunk, but I have found that extra pair of gloves or rain suit are worth having on board.
This year is my 4,000 mile year!!

awakenedsoul
1-9-13, 3:32pm
I ride every day in the winter, too. Our winters in Southern CA are mild, though. Still, if I get out before the sun is up, it's cold. (I live in the desert.) I wear merino wool or cashmere leggings, a wool sweater or two, and a knit scarf and gloves. If it's colder, I wear my old show jacket. It's wool with leather sleeves. (like the pro baseball players wear.) It really cuts the wind.

It makes such a difference to be comfortable. I'm going to start riding home at night after my knitting class. It's only a couple of miles, but I'm glad I have my headlight and taillight.

Rogar
1-10-13, 12:54pm
I suppose these is more technical biking wear out there, but I love my merino wool long underwear tops and bottoms for many things and am adapting it to my winter riding. It sort of pricey but I've shopped after season sales to get a little bit of a discount on it.