PDA

View Full Version : 12 songs that will remind you of 2012

RosieTR
1-1-13, 12:50am
You know how some songs remind you of a particular person or situation? I thought it'd be interesting to think of 12 songs for my 2012, and share. What are yours (even if less or more than 12)? Here are mine, with explanations:

1. Us Against the World by Coldplay: I ran out of my travel mix about Colorado Springs and listened to the whole Mylo Xyloto album as I drove north. This particular song sort of hits me most from that.

2. Lonely Boy by Black Keys: I listened to the album that includes this a lot while painting the house while DH was still stuck in Phoenix. So it reminds me of painting but the lyrics were also apt at the time.

3. Song for a Winter's Night by Sarah McLachlan: definitely a reminder that we were back in the land where it snows, although not a whole lot in 2012.

4. Home is a Fire by Death Cab for Cutie: I got this album at the end of 2011 and hadn't really gotten into it before this year. The theme of home is a big one for me since we moved to a place that really does feel like home from a place that never really did.

5. It's Time by Imagine Dragons: Probably because I only ever heard this song while driving to work it'll stick with me as a song for this year, but the theme of never wanting to leave this town resonated with me.

6. When the Dragon Came Down by Shel: local band, whose outdoor concert we went to at the end of June in Fort Collins right after the fires. Dragon themes came throughout the year when I think back-not only with the fires but also it was Year of the Dragon in the Chinese astrology and the wedding we went to this summer was a friend who was a Dragon by the Chinese calendar ;-) As well, we went to see the Hobbit on the opening Friday, which featured a dragon.

7. Dog Days are Over: Florence and the Machine: this was one of those that had repeated themes that stood out at different times. I was, and am, very happy to be in CO but also this summer when it finally rained it had a particular poignancy too.

8. Imagine by John Lennon: I didn't really pick this one and had heard it a bunch before. But I heard it 3 times on 3 different stations while driving to work the day after the Aurora shootings, so it sort of stuck. Later with all the election garbage, it also sort of fits.

9. Apocalypse Lullaby by The Wailin Jennys: one theme of 2012 was the supposed End of the World, so this one sort of naturally fell into that. But I had pegged it earlier due to various things such as a person from work who left this year particularly liked this band.

10. Skyfall by Adele: Another end of the world theme, and we did see the movie too.

11. Calamity Song by The Decemberists: Another that I heard a bunch on the radio and that struck me both during the summer with the line "conjure the rain down" and then later as the End of the World jokes went round.

12. That's Me by Paul Simon: Paul Simon is my favorite artist and I listened to this album a lot while driving this year. I chose this particular song because line about how the future is beauty and sorrow certainly describes this past year, and probably the coming one. I certainly hope for more of the beauty for everyone, however.

Happy New Year!