PDA

View Full Version : Long Time No See...we moved into our Earthship!

Darfield
1-2-13, 1:00pm
I was directing a friend to the forums today and realized it has been ages since I've been on. For anybody who remembers, we are the Earthship builders in Darfield, BC. Well, after 3.5 years, we moved in, just beore Christmas! In the year or more since I was last here, we converted a van to run on veggie oil and took our kids on a North American trek...for two months. We then buckled down and got the earthship habitable...which is where we are now.

We still struggle with issues of work/homeschool/play/environmentally sound living practices...but I suspect that will be a never ending journey.

Our last year has been so busy, we didn't even update our blog very much ( www.darfieldearthship.com (http://www.darfieldearthship.com) ) but relied on the much faster, more superficial world of FB... our page is The Darfield Earthship.

It is a real conundrum these days, isn't it? I've noticed that forums like these ones are one wane, in the fast paced world of texting and FB...it's a shame, but I've also fallen prey to technology (well, not the texting,I hate that), but certainly Facebook as a means of communicating. Having said that, I did find wonderful people and ideas here...perhaps as my life slows down again I will visit more often...

Cheers to all of you. Some of you were very supportive of our venture in the early years! Thanks so much!

San Onofre Guy
1-2-13, 2:51pm
I have been following you at your blog which has not been as you say updated. I did enjoy your travels around North America on veg oil. A huge congratulations on moving in. I also like the comments on the blog about inspectors. There are great inspectors out there who will work with people who know what they are doing even if it is unconventional. Many complain about building inspectors, but I like to remind people that in North America, total house fires are few and far between, houses don't sink due to subsidence, and when the earth shakes, very few die and most of this is due to building standards and inspection. Just look what happens in Iran when the earth shakes...thousands die.

Mrs-M
1-2-13, 6:16pm
Oh, wow! What a Happy New Year surprise! So good to hear from you, Darfield!!!

Have thought about you so many times, wondering how you have been doing, and how your Earthship was progressing. Your blog is awesome! So much to read and see, so I'll be working on setting a little time off to the side to do just that in the days/weeks to come! Can't wait!

P.S. Would love (so much) to see you visit more often again! Have missed your company so much.

razz
1-2-13, 7:41pm
Glad to hear that you got moved in and finding your way in the new home.

ToomuchStuff
1-3-13, 1:55am
I remember reading about Earthships, years ago, and got interested. I seem to remember Dennis Weaver owning one. I did always wonder, about eventual outgassing from the tires though; have you seen any of that?

redfox
1-3-13, 10:30am
I've been following you on FB, and I love your photos!

mamalatte
1-3-13, 10:38pm
After reading your post and having no idea what an earthship is, I did a bit of research and also watched the documentary Garbage Warrior. (Available to watch for free here: http://topdocumentaryfilms.com/garbage-warrior/). Very inspiring documentary, totally cool idea(s) and so awesome that you have moved into your own earthship! Congrats

Minz
1-4-13, 11:56am
After reading your post and having no idea what an earthship is, I did a bit of research and also watched the documentary Garbage Warrior. (Available to watch for free here: http://topdocumentaryfilms.com/garbage-warrior/). Very inspiring documentary, totally cool idea(s) and so awesome that you have moved into your own earthship! Congrats

Mamalatte - I saw that documentary last month. It was very inspiring and awesome!! I love people like him who are so passionate and forge ahead. :)

Darfield
1-4-13, 4:04pm
I remember reading about Earthships, years ago, and got interested. I seem to remember Dennis Weaver owning one. I did always wonder, about eventual outgassing from the tires though; have you seen any of that?

That is a common concern. However there have been many studies done to allay those fears. The tires are packed with dirt, surrounded in dirt or concrete and are not exposed to water or sunlight and these are usually the factors required to react with the rubber in the tires...

Darfield
1-4-13, 4:05pm
O.K. redfox...who are you on our page? :)

Darfield
1-4-13, 4:07pm
Mrs. M...you know you have a standing invitation!!

Mrs-M
1-4-13, 5:03pm
You're the best, Darfield! :)