PDA

View Full Version : Time Traveling via Television: The West Wing

AmeliaJane
1-3-13, 12:27pm
For those who are Netflix streaming subscribers, the full run of The West Wing is now available. Due to a case of the holiday crud, I have been on the couch marathoning Season 1 (1999-2000) for the last few days. It is fascinating to see what has and hasn't changed in 14 years (also a little sad in some cases).

Interestingly, in terms of style, the biggest thing I notice is how different the cars look. The women's hair and clothing looks somewhat dated, especially on the younger women who would be expected to be more fashion-conscious (a lot more turtlenecks, long hair with barrettes, and skirt suits than nowadays) but I could still imagine seeing women who look like that. The men look not that different from what I see on the news. I guess forty-something guys in Washington DC don't keep up with trends... Offices don't look that much different, other than the lack of flat screen monitors (they never really show computer screens, which I understand require extra special effects technology to show on TV, or did in the 1990s).

Some of the comments about the Internet are hilarious, (Actual quote: "The Internet--it's not going anywhere!") and there is one sequence where something is about to happen, and a character says, "It's on the Internet...it's going to break tomorrow." Clearly, at that time "real news" still happened in print/television. THere are a couple of plot lines that wouldn't even exist with modern technology (characters get hopelessly lost on a road trip--GPS, dude!--and at one point a character turns up and surprises the staff by being a different gender than expected and having a physical disability that no one knew about...unthinkable in the age of Google.) On the other hand, character use cellphones a lot and when a Supreme Court nomination is under discussion, the staff nails the fact that privacy rights are going to be a major issue for the next generation.

Still the same: fighting over education funding (although no discussion of No Child Left Behind), concern for the neglect of veterans (although veterans are all older), gun control being a major issue (although in the context of drugs and urban crime, not massacres in the suburbs), budget and pork issues, weather disasters, hate groups.

Not yet on the horizon--very little discussion of Muslim extremist groups. The only Middle Eastern terror-type incident focuses on the Syrian government. Air travel and security is still pretty simple--in the pilot, one of the characters gets into an argument with the flight attendant about using his electronics during landing. Not that it doesn't still happen, but everyone around him is completely ignoring them. No way that would happen today. And of course, nothing like the lightning fast reaction times of the news cycle today. At one point, a major military movement takes place in highly populated areas in Asia, and the US doesn't know about it until they see it on a satellite photo. Hard to believe that would happen in these days of cellphone video and Youtube...

Anyway, I am totally enjoying the time travel and recommend it highly...it's still great television.

Square Peg
1-3-13, 1:30pm
ha! I just started watching this last night. My first thought: pagers? wow. When I was watching the bit about the Syrians, I suddenly needed to know if the show started beofre 2001, or after.

Square Peg
1-3-13, 1:34pm
Also,it is interesting that gun control debate wouldn't be more suburban, since this first season would take place right after Columbine. I haven't gotten to the gun debate arc yet.

CathyA
1-3-13, 1:49pm
I always loved that show. It was sort of strange though.......right after 9/11, I lost my interest in it. Don't know why. Guess I lost interest in alot of things right after 9/11.
It was always a very interesting show.
I'm finding myself enjoying some of the various other older shows too.
I love Martin Sheen (aka Ramon Estevez).

AmeliaJane
1-3-13, 2:33pm
We were just talking about the Columbine issue at my office, as there are several Netflix users who are interested in the series. Our theory was that back then, massacres of that kind were considered so rare that they didn't have a big role in general policy debate, at least the way Hollywood envisioned it. Also, now we are looking back at fifteen years' decline in violent crime statistics, and back then they were only a few years away from murder/violent crime peaks in the early 1990s, probably not even realizing a decline was underway. http://themonkeycage.org/blog/2012/07/21/the-declining-culture-of-guns-and-violence-in-the-united-states/ So I think that violent urban crime was what people were most fearful about at the time.

Also, I think sensitivities have changed a bit, sadly, as we have endured more mass shootings. I remember at the time media outlets were very touchy about being seen to exploit the Columbine incident. At least one movie with a similar plot got shelved for quite awhile. So perhaps NBC wasn't comfortable using it in a drama (and of course, in the West Wing universe Columbine didn't happen.) I remember that the first season finale was considered quite shocking at the time for introducing violence (in a completely different plot) into a "serious drama."

Square Peg
1-3-13, 4:15pm
Yeah, that is a good point. I bet the issue was off limits because it was so horrifying.