PDA

View Full Version : New Year's Cleaning: Make it Last

cleaningstories
1-3-13, 2:13pm
I am thrilled to join the Simple Living forums. I read Your Money or Your Life about ten years ago and have been on a path of frugality and mindfulness about money ever since. I'm so grateful for the insights and encouragement I received from that book. I have just created a web project called Cleaning: People Talk About Housework (http://www.cleaningstories.com), that invites people to reflect on what housework means in their lives. Please visit and share your stories and images. Below I am sharing a blog entry from the site:

New Year's Cleaning

A couple of days ago, I gave my stove the most thorough cleaning I've ever given it, or any other stove. Glen, one of the people I interviewed for Cleaning: People Talk About Housework (http://www.cleaningstories.com), confessed, "It's sort of mysterious to me how somebody can make the top of a stove clean. I can wipe stuff off, but I can't scrub. It seems to me there's a gene missing." I relate to that. I categorize cleaning the stovetop with other disgusting jobs that require getting close to unidentifiable funk: mopping up the sticky substances that pool on the lower shelves of the fridge, or wiping off the crusty layer on the pedestal of the toilet.
I was expecting houseguests, so my plan was to spend three or four hours in a high intensity (but not overly thorough) clean-up of the entire house. The plan quickly veered off course when I spent two solid hours scraping and scrubbing the stove. It's a beautiful, old, white enamel stove, an O'Keefe and Merritt that I've lived with for ten years. I started with my usual cursory wipe to get rid of coffee spills and crumbs. Then I noticed the waxy brown substance oozing from behind the dials. I must see that ooze all the time, but suddenly it occurred to me that it might be possible to get rid of it. Maybe this novel thought popped into my head because it's almost the New Year, and I know that new year's cleaning is a ritual in many cultures. I was also thinking about the feng shui notion that a clean stove brings prosperity. So I tried putting some vinegar on a toothbrush to see if that would dissolve the ooze. That didn't do much. Then I soaped the dials with a warm rag and followed up by digging into the crevices with a wooden skewer that I found in a drawer next to the stove. Ribbons of brown waxy stuff peeled away on the skewer. It was quite satisfying. I felt like a dental hygienist, plying my sharp implement to free the enamel from the encasing crud.
http://www.cleaningstories.com/storage/Cleaning%20Stove.jpg?__SQUARESPACE_CACHEVERSION=13 56903320117
Enamel is an amazing substance. It can last for generations and clean up to look new, with a little work. I was reminded of what Jo Ann and Richard said in their interview: "We take care of things so that they last. Our folks were that way, because they lived through the 1933 Depression. Young people today tend to want to throw things out and get something new." We've been sold this bill of goods about convenience that tells us not to be bothered to scour a pot to make sure it lasts for thirty years. Instead of "wasting time" like that, we are advised to use a disposable one. It's much more convenient. It saves time. And time equals money. But the thing is, it doesn't. It's an illusion. The money it costs to buy a new one, is much more than the time it takes to care for it. If you take care of your things, it's worth it.
My dad, who also grew up during the Depression, has had pairs of shoes for thirty years, and suits for forty years. He'd pull out his shoe polish and polish those shoes, and they looked great. And he was always telling us kids that we needed to do that. But it kind of fell on deaf ears. Fortunately for me, I have had another frugal influence in my life over the last several years: my artist wife Colleen Hennessey. The seventh item in her Financial Manifesto (http://www.colleenhennessey.net/Page15.htm) is "Clean the objects you own, rather than buying more. Wanting something new is often an illusory desire. Sometimes all that is wanted is the sheen of newness, which can be achieved by cleaning the objects you already have." I have to admit that I felt some waves of panic during the second hour of cleaning the stove, because I felt like I was going to run out of time to get all of the other cleaning done. The deep cleaning blitz started to spread out to the areas adjacent to the stove, which I now saw with a razor vision. All that oozy stuff on the wall behind the stove. The dusty ladles hanging on the wall. The grease on the hood over the stove. It all got cleaned. But I also really enjoyed the activity, and I pondered how arbitrary it is that we classify certain activities as chores, as opposed to leisure. My loving attention to the enamel stove gave me an inkling of what it must be like to spend an afternoon polishing an antique custom car. It was satisfying. It gave me time to think. And now whenever I look at the stove's gleaming surfaces, I feel good. And a little bit more ready for a new year.

peggy
1-3-13, 4:18pm
Welcome cleaningstories! I agree that a clean environment is a relaxing one. So is an environment free of general clutter.
I'll have to check out your site. Although I'm not a clean freak, I do keep a clean and tidy home. I'm guessing Mrs M would love to chat with you as she seems to find housework a zen experience. Especially laundry! (I see your sun warmed sheets gently floating in the breeze, Mrs M :) )

leslieann
1-3-13, 4:20pm
love your zen approach to the stove...once you got into the flow. However, in the subject line you said...make it last....did you mean the object? Or did you mean make the cleaning last? That's something I'd like to hear about....how can I keep my New Year's clean, clean??? Maybe some simple livers have some answers for that one, too.

SteveinMN
1-3-13, 4:48pm
Welcome, cleaningstories!

leslieann, I think he meant the object would last longer if cleaned -- both from a functional standpoint and as something esthetically appealing enough to not be replaced. I've long done some of the same things with the stuff I own, and it does make a difference. Just think of how much more you enjoy your car if it's clean and not muddy or full of Cheerios or grimy armrests.

As far as keeping the clean clean, I think part of it is design and part of it is speed. Notice on the picture of cleaningstories' stove the chrome strips. They may be lovely to look at -- but they naturally are dust and grease catchers. Note that ranges today have rounded corners and wells under the burner grates to make spills easy to clean up. Similarly, shelves or walls full of bric-a-brac are so much more involved to clean than just bare walls and shelves.

Part of keeping stuff clean is speed in responding to it not being clean. Again, on a stove, I find if I wipe up a spill as soon as it is safe to do so, it takes less time and scrubbing than if I forget about it and it cooks on. If I can't address a spill right away, I can at least dump a wet towel on it and keep it soft. I do try to avoid complex chemicals when cleaning, but there are cleaners with anti-static components which help keep things like TVs clean by making them less capable of attracting dust.

Kind of in line with cleaningstories' experience, I once moved into an apartment with perhaps the greasiest cooktop in the city. I used so much Simple Green to get rid of the years of gunk that, today, I can't stand the smell. But I got through it all and eventually discovered the drip pans actually had cooking directions printed on the enamel. I wonder if anyone besides the original installer ever saw them??

cleaningstories
1-3-13, 6:07pm
"in the subject line you said...make it last....did you mean the object? Or did you mean make the cleaning last?"

Yes, I meant that cleaning makes the object last, and gives that "new" feeling that we sometimes crave, that can make us buy things we don't really need.

Good question about how to keep the "new year's clean" clean. I definitely notice drips on my "perfect" stove now, so I'm more inclined to keep up the regular maintenance. But I have to confess that my moments of zen cleaning are few and far between!

What I've found interesting is that cleaning is a bit like money--our feelings about it and our practices around it reveal a lot of who we are. That's what I've found so interesting about hearing people's stories related to cleaning.

ToomuchStuff
1-3-13, 6:50pm
Kind of in line with cleaningstories' experience, I once moved into an apartment with perhaps the greasiest cooktop in the city. I used so much Simple Green to get rid of the years of gunk that, today, I can't stand the smell. But I got through it all and eventually discovered the drip pans actually had cooking directions printed on the enamel. I wonder if anyone besides the original installer ever saw them??

Carbonoff, is SOOO much better then Simple Green, but does require the pilot lights to be out. They also make a substance called Foam plus, but I have never been able to find it, outside of aerosol cans (can't use the aerosols around the pilot lights). Because of that, I use Simple Green in a spray bottle with a foaming tip. (next time I will see about Carbonoff in liquid form)

Shoes I doubt one can get 40 years out of anymore. Quality has gone down, in general, while Cobbler's have all but disappeared.

pony mom
1-3-13, 11:23pm
I love taking something really dirty and grungy and using lots of elbow grease to make it look like new again. The "before and after" is a huge reward to me. It's like refinishing a piece of wood furniture in letting the original beauty show through.

I have horse grooming brushes that are close to 20 years old. I clean them twice a year and this year I stained and varnished the wooden backs; now they look shiny and new and should last a few years more. My old black loafers I sometimes wear to work are regularly polished, my leather purses are conditioned before storing. My car's interior gets a good cleaning every year and it looks like new.

I actually enjoy taking care of my things and take pride in their appearance, whether it's old or new.

leslieann
1-4-13, 9:41am
I have developed an appreciation for things that last to the degree that I am unwilling to spend money on things that don't seem likely to have a long life. I realized this in the last year when I couldn't bring myself to spend on "fashion" clothing that was already looking dated. But then at my age it seems that some things that are not very "old" to me are ancient history to my adult children (for example).

The "cleanability" factor of newer items is a good point. I found out about that in moving from an old house to a new one about 20 years ago. Of course later I moved into another old house (cleanability wasn't a selling point for me). Bathrooms and kitchens have become a lot easier to keep clean than in times gone by. But all of it requires pretty continuous upkeep.

I loved ponymom's description of her brushes and her shoes....keeping things nice means also keeping them usable. Some items wear out with use but others actually seem to benefit. We have DH's grandmother's china. When it arrived, unbidden, we agreed that we could only give it houseroom if we are to USE it, so we do. Of course we risk the loss of some pieces but the darn stuff is supposed to be used. Cleaning it...well, we toss it in the dishwasher and so far, no problem.

I guess the OP was thinking about cleaning stuff generating that same feeling of "aahhhhh" that you might otherwise get with a new purchase..and that some people here have referenced when decluttering (the "aaahhhh" of space opening up).

Sorry for rambling....seems like a rambly morning here.

Bootsie
1-4-13, 9:57am
Your post about the stove is exactly what I needed to read and see. Thank you, Cleaningstories!

Tussiemussies
1-4-13, 2:27pm
Carbonoff, is SOOO much better then Simple Green, but does require the pilot lights to be out. They also make a substance called Foam plus, but I have never been able to find it, outside of aerosol cans (can't use the aerosols around the pilot lights). Because of that, I use Simple Green in a spray bottle with a foaming tip. (next time I will see about Carbonoff in liquid form)

Shoes I doubt one can get 40 years out of anymore. Quality has gone down, in general, while Cobbler's have all but disappeared.

Hi too much, if you are referring to Cobby Cobblers shoes (sp?). You can get them at KMart but usually only online on their web page. I have many of their shoes that are lasting me a long time and they are very affordable if they have a shoe sale going on...:)

Tussiemussies
1-4-13, 2:30pm
Hi like to take good care of my things too. I still have a sweater from when I was 16 and it is still in wearable shape, too bad I don't fit that size anymore! I don't hold onto all my clothes from the past but this is just a momento
...:)

Mrs-M
1-4-13, 2:53pm
Extending a warm and happy welcome your way, Cleaningstories!

P.S. Love the picture of your stove and your nifty (and frugal) cleaning aid! I find most simple/frugal things make for the best helpers! Hence the wooden skewer seen in the picture!

Yes, absolutely, cleaning, and making things last, is a reflection of ones pride IMO. P.S. Love the project, Cleaning: People Talk About Housework! Adding it to my list of "must visit" areas that make me happy!

P.S. Peggy. Thank you for thinking of me! You just made my day! :)

cleaningstories
1-4-13, 5:34pm
I have horse grooming brushes that are close to 20 years old. I clean them twice a year and this year I stained and varnished the wooden backs; now they look shiny and new and should last a few years more.

That's very inspiring, pony mom!

Thanks to all of you for your responses and welcomes. What a nice group--I feel instantly at home. I also really appreciate how non-commercial this site is. Such an oasis to get away from the ever-present ads.

Gardenarian
1-5-13, 1:17pm
I enjoyed your post, Cleaningstories!

I am on break from work right now and I enjoy being able to take the time to give my home some love, inside and out. Dusting the bookshelves, taking each book off and reorganizing, making a pile to trade in to the used bookstore. Hosing down the patio furniture and seeing where it needs touch up paint. Going through the linen closet and mending old pillow cases. Dusting off all the lightbulbs.

I feel when I give my home love it loves me right back!

cleaningstories
1-7-13, 9:23am
I enjoyed your post, Cleaningstories!

I am on break from work right now and I enjoy being able to take the time to give my home some love, inside and out. Dusting the bookshelves, taking each book off and reorganizing, making a pile to trade in to the used bookstore. Hosing down the patio furniture and seeing where it needs touch up paint. Going through the linen closet and mending old pillow cases. Dusting off all the lightbulbs.

I feel when I give my home love it loves me right back!

That sounds great!

catherine
1-7-13, 10:06am
I am so ready to get on some kind of sustainable cleaning routine! When my kids came for Christmas, it was very stressful readying everything for them. But not only that, the appraiser came to the house for our refi today and so yesterday I spent all day decluttering my kids' bedrooms (which are now really extra rooms since they don't live here anymore.

Arghh!! I just want my house to be visitor-friendly at all times! Can I achieve that, without having a weekly housekeeper? I've really been considering getting some kind of household help because of the hours I spend working. It goes against my grain a little, however.

I've tried Flylady, and I really, really do like her, but even she has gotten too "cluttered" on her website with so many challenges and lists etc. etc.

While I'm motivated to come up with a plan to steadily donate/throw out stuff, one barrier is the fact that probably at least 50% of the stuff in this house is stuff the kids are parking here. Only one has a home of his own, so the rest are in little apartments and are happy to use my house as their storage. How have you guys handled that? Every time my husband gets mad and just puts their stuff on the curb for the garbage I put it back in the garage because I wouldn't want anyone throwing out my stuff without asking me. But, when they come down only once a year, how are they supposed to go through it and make decisions on it?

SteveinMN
1-7-13, 10:19am
probably at least 50% of the stuff in this house is stuff the kids are parking here. Only one has a home of his own, so the rest are in little apartments and are happy to use my house as their storage. How have you guys handled that? Every time my husband gets mad and just puts their stuff on the curb for the garbage I put it back in the garage because I wouldn't want anyone throwing out my stuff without asking me. But, when they come down only once a year, how are they supposed to go through it and make decisions on it?
When DW and I married, she moved into my house and we put hers up for sale. DD was still living there at the time and understood she'd have to move when the house was sold. The stuff she planned to use when she was on her own was stored in the basement of that house. When the house was sold, we moved it to this house because DD was still living in apartments and sharing houses and didn't have room for it. Now DD has her own house and all that stuff is out of here -- she was told to winnow through it and have her moving buddies get it out of the basement while they had the truck and the willing shoulders. We (and she) were lucky that we had the room to park it.

As for your kids, I would suggest that you and DH agree on a deadline for their stuff to be out of your house. Contact each child and tell them they have until November 31
( ;) or whatever date you set) to pick up any stuff they want. Anything that's still hanging around at that point goes to Goodwill/Sally Anne/garage sale/curb/whatever you want to do with it.

What they do with it does not concern you: they can get their own storage locker someplace, persuade their friends (or parents of their friends) to store it for them, whatever. It's out of your house and out of your hair and your kids can't complain they weren't given adequate lead time. If what's there truly is of value to them, they will find a way to include it in their lives somehow. If not, why should you be the custodian?