PDA

View Full Version : What are the FEELINGS you associate to your goals of simplying

Minz
1-7-13, 3:40pm
I'm participating in a goal program that I am totally loving so far and thought it may be helpful for those of us struggling to declutter and simplify! It can work on different aspects of your life.

In a nutshell, the program says we have traditional goal-setting inside out. She says we need to attach feelings to our goals and that will help fuel us. For example, here are some of my goals and the feelings I attach:

Goal 1: Totally decluttered and clean house
Feeling: peacefulness, freedom from chores, freedom to spend time how I want to, content, blissful in my surroundings, home is my sancuary.

Goal 2: Be debt - free
Feeling: Freedom, Being able to give more (charities, nephews college, mom), Feeling light-weight, blissful, in control of my life.

This has really helped me in my business by helping me get motivated. I just remember the feelings I will have once my goals are accomplished and that inspires me to take the action now that I know I need to take!

So I thought it would be fun if people posted the FEELINGS they associate to their goals of simplying. Envision you have already accomplished your simplying goals and imagine how that makes you feel!! Have fun with this! Do you think this can help you with your goals?

ctg492
1-7-13, 6:52pm
Being car free: "Peaceful" feeling of not to go rescue others that need me at a moments notice. "Relaxed" feeling not having to feel like I need to be somewhere asap. (Alas this is all a dream for now, but car light is still helping to accomplish the second) and also "healthy".

razz
1-7-13, 7:02pm
Neat idea for a thread.

Simple diet - feeling lighter in weight, more graceful fit in clothes and in control of intake.

Simple exercise - walking gives me a feeling of fresh air, freedom appreciation of nature.

Simple wardrobe - everything matches, fits well, washes well and makes me look good

iris lily
1-7-13, 7:36pm
OP, this is a nice idea for a thread, and you've pretty much used the words I'd use to describe feelings that tie into simplicity. Razz' ideas resonate with me, too.

With simplicity I feel centered and able to do things that come up on a whim. Funny, that this "in control" feeling leads to me being open to whatever adventure comes down the pike. When I have house (literal and figurative) in order, I can open my mind for adventure.

awakenedsoul
1-7-13, 8:13pm
I agree that feelings are great magnetizers. Having a tiny house gives me a feeling of pride-it's easy to keep clean and tidy. Owning less clothing helps me to feel responsible and comfortable. I have gorgeous cashmere sweaters and leggings. They will last forever, they are warm, (so I don't need to turn on the heat in CA,) and they feel luxurious. Growing my own food makes me feel healthy and capable. I also feel generous because I have plenty to share. Knitting my soft furnishings makes me feel nurtured. Learning to knit my own clothes makes me feel excited and artistic!

Minz
1-8-13, 1:10pm
I agree that feelings are great magnetizers. Having a tiny house gives me a feeling of pride-it's easy to keep clean and tidy. Owning less clothing helps me to feel responsible and comfortable. I have gorgeous cashmere sweaters and leggings. They will last forever, they are warm, (so I don't need to turn on the heat in CA,) and they feel luxurious. Growing my own food makes me feel healthy and capable. I also feel generous because I have plenty to share. Knitting my soft furnishings makes me feel nurtured. Learning to knit my own clothes makes me feel excited and artistic!

I am so ready to downsize....just getting finances in order first so I can execute my plan. As I go to sleep at night I like to visual what it will be like. I love the idea of having much less maintenance and chores of a smaller house. I love the idea of buying quality products...like you mentioned your cashmere sweaters...I'm sure they last a long time and you love them!
Nurturing is a great adjective - it implies so many great things such as taking care of yourself, loving yourself, being wonderful to soul and so forth...

Bootsie
1-8-13, 2:54pm
Living without a car makes me feel very independent. Using public transportation makes me feel fortunate to live in NYC. Walking places instead of driving or using public transport makes me feel strong, and it also makes me feel like I live in a village rather than a city.

Living frugally makes me feel creative and smart.

Spending time with my children makes me feel like I have my priorities straight and that I am able to withstand many pressures in our culture that undermine families.

Pursuing my hobbies makes me feel HAPPY.

Eating well makes me feel knowledgeable.

Slowing down and spending time in quietness makes me feel calm and confident that creative ideas will come to me, which in turn makes me feel energetic. When surrounded by noise and busy-ness, I can't think or be creative, and that saps my energy.

Decluttering and eliminating the non-essentials makes me feel like my thoughts are clearer and that I'm closer to God.

JaneV2.0
1-8-13, 5:27pm
"Smugness?"

awakenedsoul
1-8-13, 11:25pm
I am so ready to downsize....just getting finances in order first so I can execute my plan. As I go to sleep at night I like to visual what it will be like. I love the idea of having much less maintenance and chores of a smaller house. I love the idea of buying quality products...like you mentioned your cashmere sweaters...I'm sure they last a long time and you love them!
Nurturing is a great adjective - it implies so many great things such as taking care of yourself, loving yourself, being wonderful to soul and so forth...

Thanks Minz. A lot of people tell me that they want to downsize, too. It's a relief. I think there's a reason artists enjoy simple surroundings. Yes, I LOVE cashmere. It's so warm and comfortable. I found my sweaters on sale at T.J. Maxx 10 years ago. Great prices. My mom asked me at Christmas, "How do you wash your cashmere sweaters? They still look brand new." I told her that I wear them all the time. Buying good quality is a big part of simple living for me. Good luck with your new plan. You're smart to visualize it every night.

iris lily
1-9-13, 12:23am
Thanks Minz. A lot of people tell me that they want to downsize, too. It's a relief. I think there's a reason artists enjoy simple surroundings. Yes, I LOVE cashmere. It's so warm and comfortable. I found my sweaters on sale at T.J. Maxx 10 years ago. Great prices. My mom asked me at Christmas, "How do you wash your cashmere sweaters? They still look brand new." I told her that I wear them all the time. Buying good quality is a big part of simple living for me. Good luck with your new plan. You're smart to visualize it every night.

DH has cashmere sweaters inherited from his father. These things must be 50 years old by now. They were made by his auntie in Scotland at her cashmere factory.

dado potato
1-9-13, 2:10am
I love to see feelings of success. From outside the circle of light it may seem like smugness. No matter. Achievement rocks!

sweetana3
1-9-13, 6:53am
Being F13 at retirement makes me feel safe and secure. I have no worry lines.

My mother in law actually asked us if we ever worry. We told her nothing we can fix with money is worth worrying about and stuff is not worth worrying about.

catherine
1-9-13, 8:41am
I do a lot of visualization and meditation for all the "nice" feelings. I am a huge proponent of the "thoughts are things" mindset, and basically studying people who teach that, like Eckhart Tolle, Napoleon Hill, and Catherine Ponder have helped me tremendously in my life.

However, I think there's a lot to be said for recognizing the bad feelings, too. Motivational research says that people are more motivated to change out of pain, and not pleasure. That's why you see people who have lost a tremendous amount of weight crying when they're shown a picture of themselves in their fat days. That's why alcoholics are said to have to hit "rock bottom." That's why a lot of people who grow up in poverty wind up being wealthy. That's why Scarlett O'Hara grabbed the handful of clay earth in her hand and stood up and vowed to God that she'd never be hungry again.

So, whenever I start slacking on my goals, I remember some pretty unpleasant moments in my life, and it's back to the grindstone for me :) (It's not really a grindstone. I like my work and I love my days.)

When it comes to feelings related to simplicity, again, the same holds true. I've come out of chaos to live a simple life. Perhaps I always would have valued simplicity, but the joyful feelings I have to tie me to simplicity goals are memories of my summer life with my great-aunt. I put myself back in that place, and that truly is motivating.

citrine
1-9-13, 9:08am
By simplifying our diet, I feel healthy and in control. I feel energetic and svelte as well :)
By simplifying our wants, we have the means to spend money on things/experiences that enrich us.
By simplifying our life, we have a huge load lift off our shoulders.
By simplifying our debts, we can sleep really well at night :) I love my sleep!

dado potato
1-9-13, 4:41pm
I've felt svelte!

(It's a simple pleasure just to say that 3 times.)

Minz
1-10-13, 9:31pm
I do a lot of visualization and meditation for all the "nice" feelings. I am a huge proponent of the "thoughts are things" mindset, and basically studying people who teach that, like Eckhart Tolle, Napoleon Hill, and Catherine Ponder have helped me tremendously in my life.

However, I think there's a lot to be said for recognizing the bad feelings, too.....

When it comes to feelings related to simplicity, again, the same holds true. I've come out of chaos to live a simple life. Perhaps I always would have valued simplicity, but the joyful feelings I have to tie me to simplicity goals are memories of my summer life with my great-aunt. I put myself back in that place, and that truly is motivating.

Catherine - I agree about recognizing the bad feelings although I used to think I couldn't let bad feelings enter my mindset, but now I try to process through the bad feelings and then come out on the other side of them...in other words I don't get stuck in the bad feeling but yet learn from it or like you suggested use it as a motivating factor.

Yes, I love to visualize too! It's like going to fantasy land in my head. I do believe thoughts, feelings, and taking inspired action create our results.

Gardenarian
1-22-13, 3:34pm
What I'm hoping to feel (not there yet!) is a feeling of freedom. I can be kind of a control freak. What i'm hoping for is a life that is so in line with my everyday wants and needs that I can live without lists or money worries or pressure.

kitten
1-22-13, 4:04pm
This artist question - yes, simplicity helps artists tremendously, but it's so hard to attain - and maintain! I'm an artist who goes back and forth on the simplicity thing. To put it in terms of feelings - I'm FRANTIC that it's so difficult to have a number of projects going, while keeping my workspace organized and easy to work in. I can't take my eye off the ball for a second.

In fact I'm not sure I could ever be a minimalist, given how much stuff I need just to function - lighting, pens/pencils/markers, reference books, notebooks, computer and digital drawing pad, figurines, art and toys for inspiration, chair with blankets and pillows for nap breaks, filing cubes, printer and paper, envelopes and folders, a stereo, cds (broke my ipod), a fridge stocked with stuff that's good for me and some stuff that ain't, etc. etc. Making art (or running any other kind of business, I imagine) requires stuff - it just does.

So no minimalism possible, but I think I still have a shot at simplicity. This would be dependent on organization. I added one small bookcase to my space the other day, and it made a huge difference. (Bonus: the maintenance crew is now vacuuming my office again, because they can!)

Feeling about this: just getting that bookcase and all my extra stuff off the floor and into it, has been great for my mood. The bookcase also gave me a higher place to put my left stereo speaker, and my music sounds better now. So - happy!

Thanks Minz. A lot of people tell me that they want to downsize, too. It's a relief. I think there's a reason artists enjoy simple surroundings...