PDA

View Full Version : What do you collect?

BarbieGirl
1-18-13, 9:01pm
I sometimes think I'm odd in what I like to collect.....>8)

I collect dishes, tea pots, fancy tea things...

I also have a weird obsession with Queen Mary, of all people! I read a biography about her once and have been obsessed with her ever since!

So I collect all sorts of Queen Mary stuff! My latest 'treasure' is a child's tea set with her and King George V's faces on them.:0!

I live in a small house and have no room for all of this stuff!!:|(

Barb

Float On
1-18-13, 9:11pm
old keys
clocks (no numbers allowed)

BarbieGirl
1-18-13, 9:13pm
I think old keys are cool! What sort of clocks have no numbers? I'm dying to know!

iris lily
1-18-13, 9:35pm
Queen Mary stuff! That's cool! I have a small collection of Royalty tins that I use in a picnic set. I think one of them is a George and Mary tin.

My main collections are children's picture books and Victorian dishes and dinnerware items. I'm no longer buying these things, though I linger over Victorian cranberry glass pickle castors and salt dishes.

I spent the last few years unloading stuff.

But still, I find small collections popping up! I've got a small number of tiny artist's books and I look on Etsy for those.

bae
1-18-13, 9:40pm
Skills, languages, experiences, tools, firearms, edged weapons, watches.

And if you ask my wife, boats and automobiles, though I am positive each of those has a very useful purpose and cannot be parted with.

Valley
1-18-13, 9:40pm
Dust! Seriously, I've started to collect small and unique nativities from different countries we visit during our traveling.

KayLR
1-19-13, 9:20am
Antique linens, mostly napkins, table coverings, and handkerchiefs.

Lainey
1-19-13, 9:31am
Miniature chairs. Tiny teapots. Purchased 90% at thrift stores. Won a blue ribbon at the state fair for the miniature chair collection, and a second place ribbon for the tiny teapots.

Fun, but I'm going to be down-sizing both of those collections soon to only what I absolutely love.

Gregg
1-19-13, 10:02am
I don't consider my books to be an official collection, but everyone else does. A few very cool antique whisky bottles and a very few antique kitchen items. US coins (very specific examples, not all of them). Sold off other various antiques, a beer can collection, a wine collection, a stamp collection and a large junk collection in a recent decluttering binge. We discovered a collection of memories doesn't take up much room so are working on that.

happystuff
1-19-13, 10:06am
Thimbles. I started in 1979 thinking "oh, these are cute and small and won't take up a lot of room". Not counting duplicates, I have over 1000. About two years ago I boxed up all but about my favorite 200-250 which are in two wall display cases. Have been trying to figure out what to do with the rest, as they are not something anyone else in the family is interested in and I would hate to leave them for my kids to have to deal with when I'm dead. Maybe some museum somewhere might be interested? Something to look into, I guess.

ToomuchStuff
1-19-13, 10:26am
Skills, tools, "projects" which are in part what drove me to looking at simple living, and what I now look at, otherwise, as junk (getting rid of a bunch of stuff). Understanding what others have meant when they talked about collections being dust catchers, and freedom from stuff (after a friends house fire).

Tammy
1-19-13, 11:24am
I don't collect anything that I can think of .... Maybe digital pics on my phone .... But then I often delete old ones.

Spartana
1-19-13, 11:32am
Like Tammy, I don't collect anything at all. Don't own much either - including no books, cds, or dvds as I use the library for that (why buy when you can borrow them for free!!). I'm even using a Chromebook computer I borrowed from the library (and can take with me for 7 days) right now. I have given my sister all my Christmas ornaments, knick knacks, dishes, etc... from my married days that ex-dh didn't want, and so really have just the bare minimum of just stuff I use and like it like that. Makes cleaning easy! But I really love and enjoy looking at other people's collections.

Alan
1-19-13, 11:37am
Roseville pottery.

We started many years ago although stopped adding to the collection a few years back when it seemed that prices had begun to get out of hand.

CathyA
1-19-13, 11:48am
Robert Bateman limited reproduction prints. I only have 5 now, but I love them and hope to have more.
I collect way too much other junk though.
I do have a large collection of Franciscan ware dishes, thanks to my grandma and my MIL.
DH has alot of old coins.
I do have a fair number of teapots too.........and wine glasses.
Wish I didn't collect so much!

JaneV2.0
1-19-13, 12:24pm
So many gazingus pins, so little storage...

Art and craft supplies and books, clothing (mostly thrifted) and accessories (mostly not), bedding...

Many in my family collected antiques--especially glassware--and though I have great respect for the artistry involved, I've never had an impulse toward collecting pretty things for display. I enjoy them in other people's homes, but that's about it. Even if I had the impulse, I wouldn't want the responsibility.

On the other hand, I do keep files of art inspiration images from a wide array of disciplines-- metalwork, biology, felt work, paper art, quilts, geologic formations, embroidery, ceramics, cave paintings--the list is endless. I have literally thousands of these, most duplicated on CDs. So I guess that's how my "pretty things for display" gene played out.

early morning
1-19-13, 1:56pm
Little sheep and bottle brush trees, both of which are only displayed during the holidays. Ironstone pitchers, bowls, serving pieces - but they have to be gifts or cost me under $10. Pewter pitchers, only if inexpensive. Advertizing, mostly antique, which either involves or features horses. Some old toy horses, but I'm really picky about them. Redware and salt glaze crocks. Bowls, pottery and wooden. Old sacking, ticking, sheeting, and related fabrics. I love wooden boxes and old suitcases, and have a lot, but I think of them as storage, not a collection. A lot of the stuff I collect is in use, it's not really just shelf sitting stuff!

DD collects old Nancy Drews, vintage christmas, clothing, shoes, handbags, and fabric. Ephemera. Mid-century modern and older stuff. Deco. Books. Odd souvenir items. I think it's genetic...

Float On
1-19-13, 4:59pm
BarbieGirl - its a strange obsession that I don't like numbers on clocks or watches. Even the microwave and oven clocks bother me to no end and I had to order a coffee maker that didn't have a clock on it. I've got wood, pottery, metal, fiber, and glass clocks (all artist made) and not a one with a number.

happystuff - we have some jeweler friends and she always collected salt/pepper shakers. Her husband kept telling her she should open a museum....so she did! There is a little (3200 sq ft) salt and pepper shaker museum in Gatlinburg, TN all because her collection got too big for the house. http://www.thesaltandpeppershakermuseum.com/Blog.aspx I see they've opened a 2nd museum in Spain.

artist
1-19-13, 5:11pm
I collect Cloisonne thimbles. They take up very little space and are quite beautiful.

xmas
1-19-13, 5:47pm
I have been collecting the little shampoo and shower gel bottles they put in the hotel rooms for free for guests. My husband travels a lot and always brings his own stuff so he brings me different ones every time he has to go somewhere.
I started collecting those several years ago when we used to travel more. Those small bottles are all full and I really want to stop collecting but they are to cute to just use up and throw away.
They are from all over the world and sometimes it's just fun to look at them.
Sometimes I wish I could find someone who wants them all.
Yeah, crazy, mixed feelings about my crazy collection.

redfox
1-19-13, 6:26pm
Roseville pottery. We started many years ago although stopped adding to the collection a few years back when it seemed that prices had begun to get out of hand.

Price is the reason I've never chosen to collect Roseville, but it is gorgeous! I'd love to see some pics of yours...

BarbieGirl
1-19-13, 7:44pm
I like that you use the tins for something....your picnic things....so cool! I've got quite a few antique books. I collect books on Manners and etiquette!

BarbieGirl
1-19-13, 7:48pm
I collect tons of dust myself! I love the nativities you collect. Do you keep them out year round or are they seasonal?

BarbieGirl
1-19-13, 7:50pm
I've got soe vintage linens too! I love 50's tablecloths! I have a small handkerchief collection....I'm interested in making a hanky lanky quilt one day.

BarbieGirl
1-19-13, 7:51pm
Your collection sounds a lot more useful than mine!

BarbieGirl
1-19-13, 7:52pm
They sound sweet! Are they dollhouse miniatures?

BarbieGirl
1-19-13, 7:55pm
I've got a sweet Roseville umbrella stand from my great grandparents. My mother is holding onto it until my kids can be trusted not to destroy it!

Alan
1-19-13, 7:57pm
Price is the reason I've never chosen to collect Roseville, but it is gorgeous! I'd love to see some pics of yours...
OK, here's a few:

BarbieGirl
1-19-13, 7:59pm
Wow, that is certainly unique! I'd have a very limited collection as I don't travel much! I think it's interesting and fun to see what people find that compels them to collect.

Alan
1-19-13, 8:01pm
And a few more:

Alan
1-19-13, 8:02pm
and another few:

BarbieGirl
1-19-13, 8:03pm
My umbrella stand is a Dogwood one, Alan. I don't know much about Roseville at all but I often look for the Dogwood pattern because I thought it would be nice to get a few more pieces.

Florence
1-19-13, 8:07pm
Boehm porcelain birds a long time ago. But they are out of my price range now.

Fabric for my quilts. But I am working my way through my stash.

sweetana3
1-19-13, 8:09pm
I finally stopped collecting much of anything due to having no space for anything else. In fact, we are de-collecting stuff like GIJoe action figures, stuffed teddy collection, book sets, etc. Sometime this year, we are taking our vintage Fiesta collection to auction.

However, even though I don't have a Christmas tree, I cannot stop making and keeping Xmas ornaments.

Alan
1-19-13, 8:11pm
Dogwood is a nice pattern Barbiegirl. Did you know there are two variations, Dogwood 1 is smooth and Dogwood 2 is textured. Both patterns were introduced in the 1920's.

I like them all but my wife prefers the Dahlrose and Morning Glory patterns.

rosarugosa
1-19-13, 9:44pm
I love your pictures, Alan. Those shelves are every bit as beautiful as the displayed items! I do have a lovely Roseville planter that a friend gave to me.
My collections are pretty much in the past tense: rocks, shells, spoons. Not actively collecting more, but I still have the collections. When I was a kid, I loved nothing better than breaking rocks open with my pickaxe to see what they looked like inside. I also have some miscellaneous collectibles: photos, gloves, evening bags, books, etc. I do hold onto things that I think have aesthetic or sentimental beauty, and I have no regrets about that.
Currently trying to just collect fond memories and dollars in our savings account. Oh, and the occasional painting. I took some pics that I'll upload soon.

BarbieGirl
1-19-13, 10:12pm
Dogwood is a nice pattern Barbiegirl. Did you know there are two variations, Dogwood 1 is smooth and Dogwood 2 is textured. Both patterns were introduced in the 1920's.

I like them all but my wife prefers the Dahlrose and Morning Glory patterns.

No, I didn't know that, Alan. Thanks for sharing. I guess I have the textured, since the dogwoods pattern on the stand is textured.

Your collection is wonderful! I collect, but my display leaves a little to be desired!

BarbieGirl
1-19-13, 10:14pm
I love your pictures, Alan. Those shelves are every bit as beautiful as the displayed items! I do have a lovely Roseville planter that a friend gave to me.
My collections are pretty much in the past tense: rocks, shells, spoons. Not actively collecting more, but I still have the collections. When I was a kid, I loved nothing better than breaking rocks open with my pickaxe to see what they looked like inside. I also have some miscellaneous collectibles: photos, gloves, evening bags, books, etc. I do hold onto things that I think have aesthetic or sentimental beauty, and I have no regrets about that.
Currently trying to just collect fond memories ans dollars in our savings account. Oh, and the occasional painting. I took some pics that I'll upload soon.

I have a few evening bags from the Downton Abbey era myself. I have used them too at different times.

Maxamillion
1-19-13, 10:58pm
I collect My Little Ponies and Monster High dolls. And I've got quite a few of the Harry Potter Lego sets, as well as various other Lego sets. And things that I don't really consider a collection but which I have way more than enough of are books and craft supplies.

ctg492
1-20-13, 8:14am
I used to collect everything that stuck my fancy. After 26 moves it all has weight, so nothing anymore. Ok dogs I seem to say no more, but two more joined the pack last year.

artist
1-20-13, 8:43am
Thimbles. I started in 1979 thinking "oh, these are cute and small and won't take up a lot of room". Not counting duplicates, I have over 1000. About two years ago I boxed up all but about my favorite 200-250 which are in two wall display cases. Have been trying to figure out what to do with the rest, as they are not something anyone else in the family is interested in and I would hate to leave them for my kids to have to deal with when I'm dead. Maybe some museum somewhere might be interested? Something to look into, I guess.

Do you have any cloisonne thimbles you are looking to get rid of?

catherine
1-20-13, 8:50am
The only thing I collect is autographed books by authors I really admire. In other words, I don't just go out and buy them for the sake of it. But if I have the opportunity to go to a book signing/lecture, I love to go and get their books signed. I have books signed by Duane Elgin (I had the most amazing experience at one of his seminars!!), Peter Singer, Joyce Carol Oates, John Lithgow, Deepak Chopra, James McBride and David Holmgren.

But my prize (actually it's my son's prize because I gave it to him when he got his Master's in history) is a first edition copy of The Future of the American Negro signed by Booker T. Washington, which I picked up at a garage sale for $10.

Mrs-M
1-20-13, 8:51am
I don't collect, but reading about everyone's beautiful things makes me want to start.

Alan. The white glass-fronted display case is lovely.

Chickpea
1-20-13, 10:03am
I'd love to collect tea pots! littles ones, as we dont have much room...or maybe pictures of teapots, that would take up even less room and be much cheaper also.

I collect russian dolls (or aspire to, i only have 3 sets) and coloured glass animals =)

Chickpea
1-20-13, 10:04am
By the way, my mum has a similiar 'thing' for Queen Victoria. My 2nd name is Victoria due to it. She cant really explain why though, she wasnt a particularly nice character by all accounts =\

catherine
1-20-13, 10:08am
I collect russian dolls (or aspire to, i only have 3 sets) and coloured glass animals =)

I JUST put a set of russian nesting dolls in the box for the church thrift shop. My MIL bought them in Russia when she was there, but I'm not interested in them. They're in perfect condition.

If you want me to retrieve them and send them to you, PM me. (No charge to you of course--I was giving them away anyway)

JaneV2.0
1-20-13, 11:34am
And a few more:

My mother had that second one, or some variation of it. I'm fond of Roseville, too.

Alan
1-20-13, 11:43am
My mother had that second one, or some variation of it. I'm fond of Roseville, too.
That's a Donatello pattern and that particular piece is nearly a hundred years old. We have three of them but to be honest, we only bought them because our daughter likes them but can't afford them since, for some reason, they seem to bring premium prices from many collectors. They were bought as future heirlooms.

JaneV2.0
1-20-13, 12:13pm
That's a Donatello pattern and that particular piece is nearly a hundred years old. We have three of them but to be honest, we only bought them because our daughter likes them but can't afford them since, for some reason, they seem to bring premium prices from many collectors. They were bought as future heirlooms.

My grandmother had an impressive collection of glassware and pottery (among other things), and I suspect that's where it came from. The only item I coveted from the family trove was a Japanese glass float beachcombed when we lived on the Oregon coast.

Lainey
1-20-13, 2:29pm
They sound sweet! Are they dollhouse miniatures?

If you mean me, the chairs are various sizes, but most are about the size that a Barbie doll could sit on (no pun intended!) The tiny teapots are mostly the one cup size or less.

Chickpea
1-20-13, 4:55pm
I JUST put a set of russian nesting dolls in the box for the church thrift shop. My MIL bought them in Russia when she was there, but I'm not interested in them. They're in perfect condition.

If you want me to retrieve them and send them to you, PM me. (No charge to you of course--I was giving them away anyway)

O! thats really kind of you thank you! yes i'll pm you =)

BarbieGirl
1-20-13, 6:11pm
By the way, my mum has a similiar 'thing' for Queen Victoria. My 2nd name is Victoria due to it. She cant really explain why though, she wasnt a particularly nice character by all accounts =\

Chickpea,

I like Queen Victoria too! I'm a sucker for all things British!

BarbieGirl
1-20-13, 6:17pm
If you mean me, the chairs are various sizes, but most are about the size that a Barbie doll could sit on (no pun intended!) The tiny teapots are mostly the one cup size or less.

Lainey,

Yep, I meant you! Sorry, I'm just figuring out how to resond to posts. :~)

There is an artist who paints these wonderful pictures of chairs that seem to come alive! He's a NJ artist....his name escapes me at the moment (maybe Timothy Martin?)

My MIL from England sent me these adorable little tablespoon and teaspoon measuring utensils in the shape of tea cups. They are so cute, I'm displaying them!

Chickpea
1-21-13, 7:01am
Chickpea,

I like Queen Victoria too! I'm a sucker for all things British!

There was a 3-4 part docu on her on BBC2 at Christmas called 'Queen Victoria's children'. According to that she was very domineering and controlling, not at all maternal and completely obsessed with her dead husband. Quite honestly she comes across in it as a right miserable bugger =\ I wish i could think of another famous victoria i could say i was named after.

IshbelRobertson
1-21-13, 8:06am
Victoria

Pendleton
Beckham
Wood

(Not that I'd claim any of them, if I was you!)

IshbelRobertson
1-21-13, 8:19am
I've stopped collecting nowadays, but have extensive collections of

Sterling silver boxes, snuff boxes and other small objects, such as quaichs, preferably with Scottish hallmarks.

Sterling silver teaspoons (i stopped adding after I reached 150 different styles and kept having to get display racks specially made by a local craftsman!)

Wemyss ware. When i first started to collect, it was as cheap as chips. Nowadays it's much more expensive. I believe the deceased Queen Mother had a large collection, which probably explains the price hike.

Scottish art. I like originals, but don't pay more than a thousand pounds for anything, even if I adore it! Most are priced at three to five hundred pounds.

Lead crystal glasses, vases and jugs. Nowadays I just replace pieces that get broken in use. Some of the pieces are very hard to find.

For those who might be wondering... Weymss is pronounced weems!

Float On
1-21-13, 9:19am
To you where does a collection stop? Do you continue to collect? Do you purge? Are you happy with 7, 15, etc....
My pottery teapot collection I'm happy with the 12 I own. If I add another one I will probably give or sell one that I've got because 12 fit nicely above the kitchen cabinets and make a nice display.
I'd even completely forgotten about my pottery teapots when I'd first answered this question.
My key collection I've pared down to 20. I'm considering collecting old locks.
I use to have an antique hat collection - enough to cover a 12" long wall completely. Sold that after I got tired of dusting the vails and feathers on so many of them.

Do you wish that others didn't know about your collection? Are you tired of others buying you things because ..."I know you collect these so I bought one for you."
As well as our blown work in vases, bowls, vessels... we do sculptures of animals in solid glass and I hear that alot. I'm buying this elephant (or bear, or penguin, or giraffe, etc) for a friend because they collect them. I always wonder if the person who recieves it loves it or says 'gee....thanks (I totally can't stand elephants because I've got 450 of them now)'. I think I sold 40 paperweights on Etsy this christmas season with 'rush---this is a gift for a paperweight collector' as the note attached to the order.

My 15 year old is collecting antique typewriters....you know the ones that each weigh about 65 lbs (or so it seems). I told him he had to stop at 6 as long as he lives in our house.

decemberlov
1-21-13, 9:53am
Tin airplanes, buses & car, old bottles and printers blocks

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a91/decemberlov/letters_zps2a2611f4.jpg

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a91/decemberlov/vw_zpsbd9f393f.jpg

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a91/decemberlov/7up_zps393bb4c1.jpg

Chickpea
1-21-13, 4:46pm
Victoria

Pendleton
Beckham
Wood

(Not that I'd claim any of them, if I was you!)

Im 2 old for 1st 2 but Victoria Wood would work, plus im a massive fan :D!

IshbelRobertson
1-21-13, 4:49pm
Well, there you go...
:cool:

BarbieGirl
1-21-13, 9:19pm
Float On,

My 15 year old is collecting 'antique' computers.:laff: You, know....the junk everyone else is trying to get rid of? Yep, those! And old gaming systems, like Atari, etc.

At least old typewriters with their keys are interesting looking! :cool: