PDA

View Full Version : CREWEL kind of girl

BarbieGirl
1-20-13, 8:09pm
I really enjoy hand embroidery. Crewel work, etc. I've alway been fond of all kinds of crafts and I have the fabric, yarn and project stash to prove it!:laff:

I also have an embroidery machine my mother gave me, but I'm not very interested in it. I find it much more satisfying to my creativity to embroider by hand.

Does anyone else do any type of needlework?

Barb

Rosemary
1-20-13, 8:57pm
I do embroidery and cross stitch from time to time, as well as sewing, knitting, and crocheting.
My aunt and grandmother taught me embroidery, and one of my favorite past-times when I visited their home was to hand-sew various things out of tiny scraps of fabric. So I make sure that I keep my daughter supplied with all sorts of random things to spark her creativity.

Do you make your own embroidery designs?

sweetana3
1-20-13, 9:37pm
I alternate cross stitch and quilting with various other crafts. Right now I have put away the quilting and started back on some old cross stitch stash. Just about done with the Halloween scissor holder and scissor fob.

Bootsie
1-20-13, 9:39pm
I love hand embroidery! My mom taught me when I was a girl and I've loved it ever since. I'm very happy when I have a needle in my hand.

I don't like machine sewing, though. I want to hold the needle and thread, and I feel clumsy with the machine.

BarbieGirl
1-20-13, 10:45pm
Do you make your own embroidery designs?

I haven't made any of my own designs yet. Sometimes I think I'm afraid to step out on my own and design something myself. But what could be the worst that could happen? Lol. But I'm still really learning. I make a lot of mistakes, but the look and feel and, oh, the glorious colors keep me excited about embroidery.

I have taken a bunch of elements from other people's designs to make something, but nothing uniquely my own.

Rosemary--it's great that you share your knowledge and love of crafting with your daughter. I remember lots of wonderful moments learning and crafting with my mom. My mom let me just experiment....she never tried to micro-manage my projects. I think just setting your daughter free to explore her creative side is a wonderful gift!

BarbieGirl
1-20-13, 10:52pm
I alternate cross stitch and quilting with various other crafts. Right now I have put away the quilting and started back on some old cross stitch stash. Just about done with the Halloween scissor holder and scissor fob.

Sweetana,

Ive always found it so difficult to do counted cross stitch. I've never been successful with a CCS project.
The Halloween scissor holder and fob sound darling! I've seen so many beautiful projects. In fact my mother does counted cross stitch. I find it difficult and distracting with the small print and following along.

I guess it's just a Lot easier to me to fill in a larger space! Like coloring with threads rather than that exquisite and perfect tiny stitches.

I like quilting. I haven't done a project in a while, but bought a cute bunny appliqué pattern to try, as I have a soft spot for bunns!

Barb

BarbieGirl
1-20-13, 10:55pm
I love hand embroidery! My mom taught me when I was a girl and I've loved it ever since. I'm very happy when I have a needle in my hand.

I don't like machine sewing, though. I want to hold the needle and thread, and I feel clumsy with the machine.

Have you done anything recently, Bootsie? Im going to work on a pillowcase and matching hand towels from Herschner that I just ordered. I also ordered a Crewel pillow cover.

Barb

Bootsie
1-20-13, 11:07pm
Have you done anything recently, Bootsie? Im going to work on a pillowcase and matching hand towels from Herschner that I just ordered. I also ordered a Crewel pillow cover.

Barb

The only things I've made recently are small items - Christmas ornaments and felt figurines. Most of my projects in the past few years have been small ones, but I always have some sort of project going. I'm currently thinking about what to stitch for a Valentines Day project.

Embroidered pillowcases was something I loved to do in the past. Thanks for bringing up that memory. Hey, maybe that's what I'll do for Valentines project!!

fidgiegirl
1-20-13, 11:34pm
Yes, I like doing embroidery and my mom found me some felt ornament kits and those were fun to assemble. I detest counted cross stitch, though, sorry to the aficionados! Too much room for error.

Learning to crochet and enjoying that so far!

iris lily
1-20-13, 11:47pm
I have not embroidered since high school, but I;ve still got a stash of embroidery threads.

I did make original desgins, and I remember seeing someone at my college with a copy on her shirt of one of my designs. I was flattered.

IshbelRobertson
1-21-13, 5:49am
I love tapestry work, I've got two pieces on the go at the minute, both cushion covers, one is a geometric design in many tones of blue and green, the other is a large blue bow on a three shades of cream background. The latter is such a boring thing to do, that It''s travelled around the world with me for the past five years. I usually manage to complete four or five rows on a long haul flight before I get bored.

I HATE plain sewing with a passion, and if a garment needs a hem, it goes to my local dry cleaners where the wife of the owner is a seamstress!

I used to love to knit and crochet, but with very arthritic fingers, I find it uncomfortable nowadays. My Granny taught me to do fairisle patterns. She had no patterns written down, she kept them all in her head. I haven't done anything like that for years.

Dhiana
1-21-13, 6:34am
Embroidery, crewel work, sewing, crochet, and metalsmith are skills I use on a daily basis. Currently working on crocheted motifs with embroidered details onto sewn fabric scrolls. Also playing around with wire crochet sculptures with fiber accents.
Unfortunately I do get side-tracked with other projects such as darning my husband's socks, and making him a set of warm, windproof shoe covers so his toes don't get cold while triathlon training this winter. Or crocheting the most yummiest, softest scarves ever from 50% silk/50% alpaca wool.

These skills have saved us quite a bit of money over the years.

sweetana3
1-21-13, 6:46am
I have done so much counted Xstitch that I think my hands are better trained than my brain. Right now I found a design for a " caravan" trailer for an English friend who just bought one. I am going to stitch it and let her decide if she wants a simple wallhanging or a pillow. She is a good seamstress and can turn it into anything.

I finished a Valentine stand up design (easel style) for motherinlaw with a big bow, charms and embellishments. Will store flat and not take up a lot of storage room.

In the 70s, it was crewel work and I still have some of my projects on the wall.

"

Float On
1-21-13, 9:31am
knitting and crochet. I'm also playing around with some wire crochet and using up some of my old stash of lampwork beads that I made back in the late 90's. I really should get a torch again.
I sew and quilt a bit.

fidgiegirl
1-21-13, 10:18am
I am going to stitch it and let her decide if she wants a simple wallhanging or a pillow. She is a good seamstress and can turn it into anything.

I love this idea. She can admire this little bit of love from you in the form she can most use and wants.

knitting and crochet. I'm also playing around with some wire crochet and using up some of my old stash of lampwork beads that I made back in the late 90's. I really should get a torch again.
I sew and quilt a bit.

I find the idea of crocheting different materials, especially for reuse, kind of exciting. Like onion bags into scrubbies, stuff like that. Wire crochet reminded me of that. Will have to do some Pinterest perusal later today. :)

Tussiemussies
1-21-13, 1:49pm
I have always wanted to learn to embroidery with ribbon. Think it is so beautiful along with regular embroidery and crewel work. Wow, the skill women used to have that are being lost now... Glad to see a lot of you here are still doing these thigs...

KayLR
1-21-13, 2:17pm
I love doing this kind of stuff...

http://www.amazon.com/Doodle-Stitching-Fresh-Embroidery-Beginners/dp/1600590616/ref=lh_ni_t?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I haven't done any for a long time. Haven't done x-stitch for oh, probably 15 yr., and kinda not into it anymore. But I've always loved crewel. I have a large picture of 3 quail I did in the 80's and I still love it. There are a lot of different textures within the bodies of the birds.

fidgiegirl
1-21-13, 2:50pm
KayLRZ, that book looks super cute!!!

BarbieGirl
1-21-13, 8:56pm
The only things I've made recently are small items - Christmas ornaments and felt figurines. Most of my projects in the past few years have been small ones, but I always have some sort of project going. I'm currently thinking about what to stitch for a Valentines Day project.

Embroidered pillowcases was something I loved to do in the past. Thanks for bringing up that memory. Hey, maybe that's what I'll do for Valentines project!!

I've made My Valentine Sleeps Here pillow cases. So sweet. I love the shabby look. Small projects get finished, Bootsie! Whenever I start a larger project I always get sidetracked.

BarbieGirl
1-21-13, 8:59pm
Fidgie--agree with you re:counted cross stitch! Wish I could get the hang of it...there are some beautiful patterns, but I never fail to make a fatal mistake!

BarbieGirl
1-21-13, 9:02pm
KayL...lol, another book I 'need!'. Really cute! I love the new/old thread painting embroidery. The blending of the threads are truly inspiring and eye catching. That's a talent I wish I came by naturally!

BarbieGirl
1-21-13, 9:04pm
I've tried ribbon embroidery years ago. It's so beautiful! I wasn't very successful with the project, but always thought if I could just practice more it could be fun. They just don't give you extra ribbon for practicing, it's all for the project.

BarbieGirl
1-21-13, 9:07pm
I sew and quilt a bit.

I've never seen wire crochet. That sounds interesting and really different. I'm going to check it out and see what it looks like....neat!:cool:

BarbieGirl
1-21-13, 9:12pm
Iris Lily,

I'd be flattered too! That must be an awesome feeling. Was it a way to supplement your college income or did she just copy your design?

Tussiemussies
1-21-13, 9:38pm
I remember in the 70's how it was the big thing to embroider on you jeans. Some people had some amazing jeans!

Dhiana
1-23-13, 7:48pm
I've never seen wire crochet. That sounds interesting and really different. I'm going to check it out and see what it looks like....neat!:cool:

Google "Arline Fisch" and you will see works from one of the premiere wire crochet artists in the world. She's basically retired now but she has done amazing work using textile techniques in metals. Truly amazing!

BarbieGirl
1-25-13, 8:13pm
Dhiana,

Thanks! Off to google!