PDA

View Full Version : Great Backyard Bird Count

winterberry
2-17-11, 12:10am
Anyone doing this? It's happening this weekend.

http://www.birdsource.org/gbbc/

Perplexa
2-17-11, 10:21am
Ooh! Thanks for reminding me. Every year I mean to do it, and then I forget. I have an extra long weekend, so there's even time!

Mrs-M
2-17-11, 1:38pm
What an incredible website! And such a library of photos too. I'm not a serious birder by any means, but I do anxiously await the arrival of my favourite feathered friends come spring!

winterberry
2-22-11, 1:25am
Yes, I used the photos at the website to identify the birds I saw. I had planned to spend a lot of time on Saturday watching birds at a nearby park, but it was so windy, I just had to watch the birdfeeder from the window. I thought no birds would show up with such wind, but I saw mourning doves, house finches, juncos, a tufted titmouse and a cardinal. today I saw what I thought were Savannah Sparrows, but when I tried to report them I got a response asking if I was certain about that because it would be unusual to see them in my area at this time of the year. I'm too new at this to be certain, but I have a new appreciation for the variety and complexity of the markings on what I thought were just drab brown little birds. One that I saw had distinct yellow and black stripes on its head.

Mrs-M
2-26-11, 10:02am
There's a couple of varieties of birds that frequent our place (don't know the names of them), so I want to go back into the photo library and see if I can pinpoint the species. One of those birder books with pictures would be good for me.

CathyA
2-26-11, 10:24am
I'm fortunate to have enough land/woods/fields around me that I can see many more birds right on our property than in any state park.
Winterberry.......what part of the country are you in (or what country)? Different birds show up at different times at different areas.
We have so many more birds here now that we've let our property grow up into woods.
Sadly, I was leaving our lane the other day and found a dead meadowlark alongside the road. I love their call........so sweet and plaintive. He was probably a scout. Scouts come ahead of the rest of the flock to search out good territory. Its time to start seeing bluebird scouts too........although I've been seeing bluebirds almost year round now. I love birding!

peggy
2-26-11, 3:29pm
Oh poot. I missed it. or is it this weekend? If it is, we get all sorts of visiters to the fen in the back. I'll have to check out the website.

winterberry
2-26-11, 5:49pm
Mrs-M, we mostly use The Sibley Guide to Birds, but the pictures on the internet are clearer. Well, they're photographs.

CathyA, I envy you. We live in a suburban neighborhood in southeast PA, but there are some nice parks and woods nearby and we're not too far from farmlands. I didn't know that about the bird scouts. Interesting. I really want to learn more about birds and their behaviors.

Peggy, there's always next year....

CathyA
2-26-11, 7:26pm
Winterberry........there's a nice bird forum at Gardenweb.com.

bae
2-26-11, 7:42pm
There's a big stand of old-growth trees at the back of my property, adjoining 5000+ acres of protected forest land with some remaining bits of old growth in it. There are marbled murrelets there. We've got a map of a couple of the nests, but they are secret :-)

Mrs-M
2-26-11, 9:14pm
Winterberry. Thank you for helping steer me in the right direction. :)

Bae. I've never heard of a Marbled Murrelet before but will be checking into them. I just did a Google search and what a pretty bird they are.

Funny/cute story to share with everyone. Back when I was a young girl there was an elderly man (neighbour) who was all about the outdoors. He hunted, fished, hiked, you name it, he did it, providing it pertained to the outdoors, and a bird lover he was. Anyhow, I remember him buying a big yellow pickup truck, a bright yellow pickup truck, and on the very front of the hood he made up a clear plexiglass sign that read- "The Yellow Warbler"! Everyone in the neighborhood talked about that truck! No one ever said- "oh, it's Mr. so and so coming", instead, they'd all say- "here comes the Yellow Warbler"! :)

bae
2-26-11, 9:54pm
Bae. I've never heard of a Marbled Murrelet before but will be checking into them. I just did a Google search and what a pretty bird they are.

They are cute, wacky, and unfortunately endangered. Evidently, the ecological niche of "aquatic diving bird that must nest in moss in the tallest tree in old growth forest" doesn't pay well.

CathyA
2-26-11, 10:02pm
Oh man, bae, that sounds nice!