PDA

View Full Version : Dreaming out loud here

Azure
1-22-13, 4:44pm
Our 25th anniversary will be next December 3rd. We did not have a honeymoon. I was a single mom to a severely multiply impaired 10 year old but DH married me (us ) anyway. We were broke, etc., etc.

Anyway, DD has been in her group home for about 3 years. Both boys are off at college. I think it is time we did something fun for the 2 of us.

So I am looking for something to do. I am thinking about early November since I work at price change in retail and mid November through most of January is a mad house & part of that time is a no-time-off-for-anyone zone.

Just got this idea last night so it's not very coherent yet.. Winter always sets me to dreaming about travel. ;)

Criteria:

I think we can probably come up with about $1500.

I want to go somewhere warm and near (not necessarily on, but close enough to visit) an ocean. I don't have to be able to swim in it though that would be nice. And I think nice warm water would feel pretty good on DH's arthritic bones.

Drive? Fly? Depends on the price.

I am pretty sure that DH would not agree to Mexico.

We like history. DH loves to geocache. Gosh, it's been so long I'm not even sure what we'd enjoy together lol

Places I have thought of so far -

Colonial Williamsburg. I know we'd both love the history. Not sure if it is warm enough.

We'd both like to go to The Wizarding World of Harry Potter some time

Myrtle Beach, SC? Not sure what there is to do here beside the beach

Gulf Shores, AL? Not sure here either

St. Augustine, FL? Not sure here either

Caribbean island? Too expensive?

I am open to any suggestions. Thanks for the help!

MamaM
1-22-13, 4:47pm
Texas Coast- Corpus, Galveston....

Simplemind
1-22-13, 4:50pm
You have got some great choices and time to shop for deals. If you do a cruise the Caribbean can be very inexpensive. Keep us posted on what you decide. I always love to hear about vacations and adventures that people choose. Happy hunting.

catherine
1-22-13, 4:56pm
Our 36th anniversary is January 29.

My BILs 50th birthday was January 14th. The family all agreed that because he never gets out of the house and always seems bored, a short (3-4 night) cruise in the Caribbean would be ideal.

I spent all week researching all the cruise lines, and finally settled on a Celebrity cruise leaving Miami and going to Key West and Cozumel and back.

DH and I have never been on a cruise and have never had much interest--until we started researching them. They really seem like a great time.

As it turns out, BIL didn't think so. When we gave him the gift (which I had prepaid on my Amex), he was really, really upset. Oops. Bad idea... Luckily I had an awesome Amex agent who got my money back.

But it put it in DHs head that maybe we should just go on a cruise for our anniversary! It really wasn't that expensive! Under $1000 for 4 nights. And they have last-minute deals all the time. Plus, it's even cheaper if you pick an inside stateroom as opposed to one with a view.

Just an idea. I'm the Carribean cruise expert now--at least on paper. So let me know if you have any questions, but don't reply January 29-Feb 2.. you may not fine me in!

Simplemind
1-22-13, 6:59pm
We had one planned for this month but had to cancel due to my husbands stroke. A cruise isn't for everyone but we have been on three and enjoyed every one of them. It is a shot in my arm for the winter blues. I am only in my room to change clothes and sleep. Otherwise you can find me on a lounge chair with one of several good books. One of ours left from Galveston and since then I have always wanted to return to Galveston to discover it more in depth.

iris lily
1-22-13, 10:20pm
Before I even got through your post, I thought of St. Augustine. I'm not a big fan of Florida, but I found St. Augustine to be charming. The Fort there is phenomenal, it is HUGE! and so interesting. The college there has fabulous architecture and has a tour of their antique stuff. There is an historic village. It's a fine place for history buffs. Since that is northern Florida I don't know if the water is warm enough to get in at this time of year.

Also it is amusing that I thought of Corpus Christi TX as a second choice (since someone mentioned that ) only I'd go to the small towns near there, Rockport and Port Arkansas.

Float On
1-22-13, 10:41pm
I love St Augustine.
We use to go to Hilton Head Is (SC) every February. I love walking the beach when there aren't a lot of people around and February was always good for that. Water was a little too cool for me.
I like the Gulf side better - cleaner water, not as ocean smelling. Lots of things to see and do up and down the coast.

rodeosweetheart
1-23-13, 1:52am
I love St Augustine.
We use to go to Hilton Head Is (SC) every February. I love walking the beach when there aren't a lot of people around and February was always good for that. Water was a little too cool for me.
I like the Gulf side better - cleaner water, not as ocean smelling. Lots of things to see and do up and down the coast.

I live near HH, was there yesterday to go to a movie, and it is too cold when you want to go to get much beach in. I would try an all expenses tour thing to Caribbean or Bermuda, maybe, or would Bermuda be too cold--it's pretty northern. Could you get a package for 1500? The cruise idea sounds great--there are boats that go up right by our town on the waterway, from Charleston down to Jacksonville, stopping along the way, small cruise ships--it looks fun.

But if you want reliable warmth, gotta go south. How about the Keys?

Rosemary
1-23-13, 7:48am
San Diego?

Spartana
1-23-13, 2:10pm
Coastal Carolina's is great. Lots of historic areas as well as scentic beaches, lighthouses, warm weather, warm calm water. I personally like the Outer Banks myself (love the town of Oakracoke). Also areas around VA and Maryland - besides Williamsburg there is Yorktown, Assateaque and Chincoteague Islands, and the nearby islands in the Chesapeake Bay (Tangiers, Smith, etc...).

The Florida Keys are great too, as well as a drive along the Calif coast - say from Santa Barbara anywhere north. My favorite - is just north of San Fran (Marin and Sonoma Counties) plus Napa area. Beautiful.

decemberlov
1-23-13, 2:24pm
Coastal Carolina's is great. Lots of historic areas as well as scentic beaches, lighthouses, warm weather, warm calm water. I personally like the Outer Banks myself (love the town of Oakracoke). Also areas around VA and Maryland - besides Williamsburg there is Yorktown, Assateaque and Chincoteague Islands, and the nearby islands in the Chesapeake Bay (Tangiers, Smith, etc...).

The Chincoteague Islands are wonderful!!

Mrs-M
1-23-13, 2:46pm
Awww. that is so awesome, Azure! Congratulations!

Congratulations, too, Catherine!

Azure
1-23-13, 2:48pm
Texas Coast- Corpus, Galveston....

Well, here's the thing... I lived in Corpus during my first marriage. DD was born at Spohn hospital. But it was not a good time for me. For the longest time I felt the way William Sheridan did - "if I owned hell and Texas, I would rent out Texas and live in hell." LOL I have softened my stance over the past 30 years. I do remember the beaches fondly. Padre Island before it became developed. Wonderful! And I do miss the bbq! And Tia's restaurant with it's homemade tortillas. And Whataburger.

But I think past associations put it out of the running, here ;)

Azure
1-24-13, 1:27pm
Our 36th anniversary is January 29.

My BILs 50th birthday was January 14th. The family all agreed that because he never gets out of the house and always seems bored, a short (3-4 night) cruise in the Caribbean would be ideal.

I spent all week researching all the cruise lines, and finally settled on a Celebrity cruise leaving Miami and going to Key West and Cozumel and back.

DH and I have never been on a cruise and have never had much interest--until we started researching them. They really seem like a great time.

As it turns out, BIL didn't think so. When we gave him the gift (which I had prepaid on my Amex), he was really, really upset. Oops. Bad idea... Luckily I had an awesome Amex agent who got my money back.

But it put it in DHs head that maybe we should just go on a cruise for our anniversary! It really wasn't that expensive! Under $1000 for 4 nights. And they have last-minute deals all the time. Plus, it's even cheaper if you pick an inside stateroom as opposed to one with a view.

Just an idea. I'm the Carribean cruise expert now--at least on paper. So let me know if you have any questions, but don't reply January 29-Feb 2.. you may not fine me in!

Oooh, Catherine I am so excited for you! And just a tad jealous. :~) Have a great time! You'll have to tell us all about it when you return

shadowmoss
1-24-13, 3:55pm
Costa Rica? Lodging is fairly inexpensive if you shop around. Warm, at least. And beaches if you want.

Azure
1-24-13, 8:29pm
We had one planned for this month but had to cancel due to my husbands stroke. A cruise isn't for everyone but we have been on three and enjoyed every one of them. It is a shot in my arm for the winter blues. I am only in my room to change clothes and sleep. Otherwise you can find me on a lounge chair with one of several good books. One of ours left from Galveston and since then I have always wanted to return to Galveston to discover it more in depth.

I' m so sorry to hear about your husband. I hope he is recovering well. And that you can 're- book your cruise!

Azure
1-24-13, 9:03pm
Lots of good suggestions. thanks everyone. and keep them coming :D so where is the best place to look for package deals or cruises?

I think st. Augustine may be in the lead right now. if I can get the whole week off I was thinking we could probably do Harry potter world & maybe Kennedy space center.

my husband doesn't know about this yet. I need to get some good basic plans and costs together and present them to him so he can see that yes we can do this. I've he' s convinced of that he' 'll probably take over lol . he just needs to see it first.

Azure
1-26-13, 12:00am

The Florida Keys are great too, as well as a drive along the Calif coast - say from Santa Barbara anywhere north. My favorite - is just north of San Fran (Marin and Sonoma Counties) plus Napa area. Beautiful.

I would love to do a drive all along the east coast some time!

Back in 1989 I visited my cousin who lived in Stockton, CA. We took a drive along the coast. It was so gorgeous. I want to see it again sometime. We also drove over to Lake Tahoe & Reno. Boy is Lake Tahoe pretty!

Azure
2-16-13, 12:58pm
Any thoughts on Siesta Key, FL? Looks like those white sand beaches are gorgeous. And not hot?

Spartana
2-16-13, 1:31pm

Back in 1989 I visited my cousin who lived in Stockton, CA. We took a drive along the coast. It was so gorgeous. I want to see it again sometime. We also drove over to Lake Tahoe & Reno. Boy is Lake Tahoe pretty!Lake Tahoe is great - actually a nice trip (even a car road trip) anywhere in the west is a nice option too. Lots of great National Parks like Grand Canyon, Zion, Bryce, Yosemite, Sequoia, Glacier, Grand Tetons, and Yellowstone. Unfortunately the distances between most places is fairly far so you'd need more time but choosing one area (like Calif) to visit the National Parks like Yosemite, Sequoia, Lassen, Redwoods, etc.. would make a nice trip if you like driving and nature. My goal this spring is to do a long motorcycle trip (on my new motorcycle I'm getting!!) for a month or so from SoCal up highway 89 from AZ to Canada and west to the coast and south - visiting all the National Parks enroute.

Tussiemussies
2-16-13, 1:41pm
Since you both like history I really recommend Williamsburg. It does get hot there too. They have great talks and tours you can attend. Some are for extra payment. There is a lot of great things to see there. You can contact the travel bureau and find out all the things there are to do. We went there I just loved it. Also the food is great at the restaurants in colonial williamsburg.

When we went there I went to a talk called "The Other Side." It was about how the slaves lived and gave me more insight into their life. One thing Ilearned was that out in the fields the slaves all sang songs together. They did this to work in time with the music so no one would go faster in the work. Then more work would be expected of them.

There is a lot there and I hear at Christmas time they have "The Lighting" where they turn all the decorative lights on at once. Although I know you mentioned that you cannot take off during the winter months...

Maybe you could stay at a nice nearby hotel with great pool and amenities. It does get hot there in the summer...

There is another historic town about an half hour away but I cannot remember the name right now.

Triple A which we have and get a magazine from them, they have all sorts of packages for vacations, maybe they have one for Williamsburg.

Sounds like you really could use some rest and relaxation. Hope where ever you go you it's just perfect for you both!

Spartana
2-16-13, 1:54pm
Yorktown and Jamestown. Both close to Williamsburg and really great places to visit. It's all part of the Colonial National Park. There is a nice 23 mile road between all three called the Colonial Parkway that is very beautiful and follows the James River in part. Driving (or riding a bicycle) on it and around all the many battlefield roads in Yorktown and seeing all the historic sites is a must do IMHO! I was stationed in Yorktown for about 6 months and loved it. Very hot and humid in summmer though so spring or fall is best.

catherine
2-16-13, 2:06pm

I love road trips!! (See my blog post (http://silententry.wordpress.com/2012/06/19/the-road-trip/) on the topic)

If you did an East Coast road trip, there would be SO MUCH to see and do, you'd have to set aside a couple of weeks, easy. You could start in Boston, and just follow 95... Providence, Mystic, New Haven, New York, (sneak in Atlantic City or Cape May NJ), Philadelphia, Baltimore's Inner Harbor, DC, Richmond, Williamsburg/Yorktown, etc. (great suggestion!), Charleston, Savannah, then on down to any of the ocean towns of Florida: West Palm Beach, Miami..

If you had time, you could sneak in Asheville, NC, Atlanta, GA, Orlando, FL...

Yeah, take 3-4 weeks off and enjoy!

Spartana
2-16-13, 2:24pm
Loved reading and seeing your road trip blog Catherine. I love travel blogs. Another great road trip is heading North from Boston along the coast to Glouscheter, Rockland, etc... to Maine and "down east". Mega crowded in summer though. Also stops in Concord and Lexington, and all the cool historic stuff right n Boston. So many beautiful and historic sites on the east coast (while we left coasters have the vast wilderness and dramatic scenes). St. Augustine, Fl is a nice historic visit to as is Cape Cananveral. So many places...so little time :-)! I guess the first thing to be consuidered on any trip is time and money and what type of vacation you want. Once you have those things in place it's easier to figue out where you want to go and what you want to do. I am a road trip fiend myself and would always choose those over anything else (except grundgy backpacking hostel staying types of travel) but can see how an all incluvive cruise or hotel stay package would be great. Everything is taken care of for one price abd all you have to do is show up at point A with your bag packed. I took one of those hotel, flight package trips to Mazatlan for 2 weeks and it was great. Stayed at a great hotel beach front hotel the entire time, lots to do activity-wise or just lay on the beach and drink Margaritas! I think that's a nice way to do a trip too.

fidgiegirl
2-16-13, 4:23pm
Since you both like history I really recommend Williamsburg. It does get hot there too.

We went to Williamsburg as a day trip from DC a few years ago and loved it. It was SO HOT that day . . . but get this . . . the historic buildings have

drum roll!!!!!

A/C! We couldn't believe it, but it saved us on that hot and humid Virginia day.

SvenV
7-6-13, 11:57am
Sanibel Island in Florida? I know there is not much history, just some pirates where there;) But it is a great place....